Bernkastel's Last Bow [Complete]

lastbow

As one game ends, another must take its place, no?

This is an Umineko-based gameboard free for anyone to join. The rules are simple, and much like my last game here.

Firstly, however, this game features a foreword that could be seen as spoilers for a certain Chiru character! (It’s only their name, though, nothing much regarding their actual role in the story, but I figured I should be on the safe side for people who want to 100% wall themselves off.)

◈ The story is told through one person’s point of view. They are reliable. Meaning, their narration is in earnest and they themselves should be considered the equivalent of the story’s detective. That said, they can still be decieved and they can still miss things. The margin for error, of course, can’t be anything outlandish such as there being a convenient massive hole in the wall they just left out of their narration or missed. And if you wish to suggest it could be something ridiculous - I do hope you have something to back it up. But in that case, it wouldn’t be outlandish anymore, would it?
◈ Having said all of that - there is an exception to this. At one point in the story, there is an event where the narration becomes unreliable. This part in the narration is clearly established and marked as “An intermission”. The reliable narration returns afterwards, going all the way to the end of the story unbroken, and is marked with “Continuation”.
◈ Character personalities and relationships have been changed to accomodate for the story.

◈ The game will be played through a traditional red v blue, with a few minor adjustments.
◈ Firstly - I refuse any and all requests when it comes to repeating something in red. Meaning repetitions like ‘the culprit had to enter through X’ or anything of the sort is out of the question. I am more than happy to clarify things you might’ve found confusing within the narration and would like a clarification on. But the general rule of thumb is that you’re free to believe whatever you wish - as long as it’s believable and makes sense within the narrative.
◈ Secondly - I am not obligated to respond to all blues, should I find them to be insufficient or do not hit all the necessary points to formulate a complete explanation for what happened. Meaning shots in the dark like ‘the murder happened at X instead of Y’ or ‘the culprit used X to get into the room’, which don’t explain the entire thing and potentially run into problems when explaining other parts of the case aren’t sufficient enough. Simply put - no room for shots in the dark. A blue must be a solid theory. It doesn’t need to be perfect, just needs to answer the key mysteries of the case.
◈ Thirdly - when responding, I am not obligated to use red. I am also allowed to ask questions and use reasoning of my own to counter your theories. It’s generally more interesting to use what’s in the story against the players and save the red for the necessities. But we’ll see how this one plays out.
◈ The victory conditions are simple. Who is the culprit? (This, naturally, involves explaning how they did it, as well, given the circumstances.) I am fairly lenient when it comes to victories - as long as the basic concept is understood by the players, I will concede.

As could very well become a norm with me, some initial gurantees:
◈ There is only one culprit.
◈ The culprit must be someone mentioned in the story.
◈ There are no accomplices allowed.
◈ During the previous game, there was some discussion and attempts to wringle out of this ‘accomplice’ guarantee. I originally and generally define it as ‘someone who willingly and knowingly assists the culprit in the execution of their crimes’. That general guarantee applies here, as well. I later added to it using an example:

It is my sincere suggestion you take this as straightforward and earnestly as possible. People can be tricked, manipulated and lied to - hell, they can even lie themselves, but none of them are clueless not to put two and two together. Nor can they make any intentional lies that would’ve distorted the timeline or the basic assumptions of the case. All but the culprit should be considered innocent and they should have absolutely no motive to hide key things undeniably related to the culprit’s trickery.

◈ Finally, the definition of what a culprit is. I’m going to be putting this as spoilers because this particular definition pretty much spoils something that happens in the actual narrative, so if you haven’t read yet, do skip this one and return once you have. The culprit is the person responsible for the letter trick and the murders of Natsuhi and Jessica. Which is to say, this does not include Kinzo’s suicide.

The difficulty is…

Um.

Well, I mean, how hard it could be possibly be? Half of the game is practically solved for you!

I am so, so sorry.

You can download the gameboard here [pdf]: Bernkastel’s Last Bow

(Don’t let the page count scare you off, a good chunk of it went on the images. It should be a relatively quick read, I think.)

Big thanks to my girlfriend to taking the time to edit a large portion of this and rewrite the “unreliable scene” for me.

HINT FOR THE LETTER MYSTERY

AFTERMATH

AFTERMATH

lastbowafter

And just like that, they’d taken Uncle Krauss away. I can’t say I was really surprised. Shocked – a bit. I think we all were. None of us thought it’d have actually… well, happen. At least, I know I didn’t. But then again, not like anyone could’ve foreseen two brutal murders being committed in the first place.

Actually, three, I guess. He’d apparently killed grandfather too, right?

“Battler, are you okay?” Aunt Eva asked me.
“I’m fine.” I said, getting back on my feet. “Just… Just gonna go stretch my legs for a bit. Need to process everything that’s happened.”

It’s strange. Just hours ago, as we all sat in that very parlor, it felt like Uncle Krauss had managed to – or was trying to – bring us all together as a family. Even now, it doesn’t strike me as the action of a cold-blooded killer.

Nevertheless, no matter how I thought about it, I couldn’t say the police were in the wrong. The theory they ended up going with seemed like the only logical conclusion. Sure, when it comes to the murders themselves, there’s a lot of leeway when it comes to who could’ve done it.

The letter?

Not so much.

I walked into the dining room. I’d gone over the whole matter of the letter with Aunt Natsuhi before she’d died plenty enough times, and we never seemed to reach a solid conclusion.

My game really was just that – a game. And it’s not like I’d told anyone I was going to do it beforehand. I was just trying to lighten the mood, for crying out loud. Not like I could’ve known it was going to end up in that letter.

But then again, going by the police – no mention of my game was in that letter to begin with. Uncle Krauss just lied then and there – pretending to read out something that wasn’t actually there, and creating the illusion of a letter that was able to tell the future. After all, nobody in the room had gotten a good look at the damn thing. The best I could tell was that it wasn’t just a blank piece of paper. I mean, it couldn’t have been. It’d been written on both sides. I think I had been the one to point out to Uncle Krauss there was more of the letter on the other side, actually.

I have to say, if he’d been making it up as he went along, it was pretty fast thinking. Genji claimed grandfather had entrusted him with presenting the letter. Uncle Krauss shouldn’t have known about it. Therefore, he really wouldn’t have had time to plan for… well, anything.

Then again – assuming someone else is the culprit, would THEY have had time to plan for anything?

The only way to explain it would’ve been something like this:

If the culprit did not know that the letter would be placed by Genji, does that mean they had a plan to place a letter of their own that just happened to conveniently match up with what actually happened?

“Would’ve been a hell of a miracle.”

Alternatively:

The culprit found out about the letter being placed there without Genji or Grandfather ever needing to say a single word.

I slid my hands into my pockets and began walking around the table.

Even though it seemed unlikely, I decided to think about possible alternatives when it came to the culprit of that letter.

I don’t know why, but for some reason, I ended up assuming that only one person had to have been behind it. I suppose I was looking at it more as a weird game of some sort than a real life incident.

Guess that’s just the way I was.

“Alright, let’s see… Think, think…” I told myself.

The obvious thing to do would have been to start with the basics.

Since nobody would’ve been able to predict my game, the letter had to have been switched. Or, to turn it around: the letter Genji had originally placed down couldn’t have possibly initially contained, at the very least, my game or the number Uncle Krauss had guessed.

Fair play, I figured.

But right from the beginning, you run into an issue.

Since nobody would’ve been able to predict my game, the culprit had to have written one or more element of the letter on the spot.

That right there is the catch, I suppose. I don’t think any one of us could’ve just went and put their hands in their lap to start writing out a letter. But – perhaps I wouldn’t be giving the culprit enough credit with that line of thinking. Say they had found a way. Say that the game was the only thing that wasn’t anticipated, everything else was something they could’ve planned or set up in advance, and they decided to add it into the letter afterwards for shits and giggles, and that they did so without us noticing.

The much harder issue becomes:

How do you seal the damn thing with wax without being noticed?

No, even beyond that:

How do you have the Head’s ring to begin with? And why?

I guess someone could’ve just stolen it from him during the day, though. And he might’ve just not noticed it afterwards. He was old. So, it’s not that big of a deal, as far as I can tell.

Still, the wax thing does seem to be one.

Someone doing it from outside seems unlikely, as well. After all, in that case, even though you’re able to overhear and see what’s happening in the dining room, you’re unable to actually place the letter back.

The solution then becomes that someone who both gone in and out of the dining room is the obvious suspect… which leaves us with Genji and Shannon. But even that seems like a dead end. They couldn’t have switched the damn letter.

…I keep mentioning it. Well, I guess it’s another thing.

No, it might be the most important question.

Even if you can explain how someone writes up a nice little ol’ letter…

How does the culprit switch the letter?

I walked over to the table. I examined it from every angle. There didn’t seem to be anything strange about it. No secret mechanisms, no weird tamperings or secret compartments. I tried shaking it, but it seemed to be firmly in place. I checked the chairs. Nothing off about them, too. I checked the lamps in the corner. Nothing suspicious there, either. Windows? Didn’t seem to be relevant in the slightest. The only remaining thing was the statuette – but it too didn’t seem to hide any secrets. It was just a normal statuette.

I took it and placed it roughly where I remembered Genji putting it. Obviously, I didn’t have a letter to place underneath it, but that wasn’t the point for the time being, anyway.

Then, I sat where I did during dinner.

I looked around me.

Admittedly, the statuette wasn’t in my field of vision when looking around the table. And yet, I would’ve probably noticed had someone near me tried reaching for it. You can’t just miss a hand outstretching like that.

The solution, in my mind, became some sort of mechanism through which the culprit had taken advantage of the fact none of us paid any attention to the letter, gotten it off the table and switched it, and then using the same mechanism, gotten it back into place.

Or, at the very least, maybe moved the statuette and the letter together during dinner so it got closer to where they were sitting, switched it, and then brought it back.

And just like that, another question.

How and when does the culprit set up something like that?

And with it, another.

How the hell do we not notice it?

And another.

What guarantee would’ve the culprit had that most if not all of us would’ve paid very little attention to the letter and the statuette?

Assuming the plan was something like I’d just described, obviously, it would’ve been a plan with room for error. After all, had anyone at a certain point happened to look down and seen the statuette magically moving, it would’ve been pretty telling. What then?

Just how much room for error is there, assuming something like this was done? And what are the chances of recovery in case something goes wrong?

If I was the culprit and trying to go for something like that, I would’ve found a way to minimize that. But how? Evidently, nobody had placed anything on our heads and forced us to look straight in front of us. And, assuming only one person was behind it all…

All of our choices during that dinner would’ve had to have been our own.

From my game, to the number uncle Krauss picked, to whether or not we looked at the statuette… Whatever plan the culprit had come up with, they would’ve needed to take all of it into account. Plus, if none of the incidents were their direct doing – that would’ve had to have included Shannon’s incident with the cart and Maria’s food.

“So how the hell do you do it?!”

It escaped without me even realizing it.

It really did seem like Uncle Krauss was the most likely culprit. So why was I so upset? Could it have been that the mystery fanatic in me just couldn’t deal with the most obvious solution being the easiest one?

Or was I just jealous I hadn’t thought of it first…?

I shook my head.

It felt like, if Uncle Krauss was innocent, there was still something I was missing.

But investigating the dining room itself felt like a complete bust. I hadn’t found anything, but was rather just more confused. And annoyed. Confused and annoyed.

Confusoyed?

As I began to leave, I felt my left leg itch. As I slightly bent down to scratch it, I noticed something.

Directly in front of the door, maybe a few inches away from it, was a tiny hole. Its diameter was smaller than that of my pinky finger. We’re talking real tiny here. Not impossibly tiny, but still pretty damn small. There was no way you’d just see it without looking real close. It wasn’t very deep. I couldn’t stick anything in it to prove it conclusively, I admit, but I’m fairly certain.

How long had it been there? Hell, we must’ve stepped over it a million times without realizing. You’d never feel it just by passing your foot over it.

I wondered if it had something to do with the letter placing.

I looked at the hole. Then I looked at the rest of the dining room. Then back at the hole.

Then I got an idea. It wasn’t anything concrete. It was more of a feeling, I suppose.

I ended up borrowing several sheets of paper from Maria and sat down back into the dining room. I drew a rough floorplan.

And then, I began to draw out scenarios. Visualizing just a chessboard wasn’t going to cut it this time.

“If this went here… no. No, that wouldn’t work because that person would’ve… Maybe this? But in that case, when could they’ve…? Ah, wait, there was an opening… But how do you…?” I occasionally stood up and dashed around the damn room to confirm some of my suspicions, making sure I got certain details right.

In retrospect, I probably looked like an idiot.

Yet…

“…No…”

And yet…

“Oh, no…”

But it made sense.

I leaned back in my chair. “Still… to pull of something like that…” It brought a myriad of questions all on its own. So many seeming contradictions.

Until I thought back on everything that had happened on the island up until that point. Everything that had happened during that dinner. Everything that happened afterwards.

Things started to fall into place.

My heart began to race. I could push it even further. I could add even more elements to it. I was sounding like some sort of conspiracy nut to myself trying to link all these seemingly insignificant threads, but the more I thought about it – the more it made sense.

Especially once I added the most loose thread of them all.

I began to see the full extent of the culprit’s cruel trickery.

In mystery, you’re faced with who, how and why. That leaves the impression that next to every question, there’s an empty line to fill out. And that’s the biggest trap here.

A mere line for this “how” isn’t enough. It isn’t just a sentence. It isn’t even a simple paragraph.

This was a fucking jigsaw puzzle.

A plan of ludicrous lengths.

All for a goddamn letter.

The chances of the culprit’s plan going awry at the letter stage, them getting caught and suspected as a result of it – slim. In fact, there was only a small window for it to go terribly wrong.

But they were confident.

They were confident, because they’d utilized our human weaknesses to their advantage. Holes… so many holes. The most devastating one was the reason for the plan itself – our way of thinking. That’s right… once Uncle Krauss had picked up that letter, it was game over.

Assume X, deal with Y.
Assume Y, deal with Z.
Assume Z, deal with X.

An endless loop of conflicting ideas. Like robots being fed a paradox.

And the worst part?

Even after putting all of it together like this, I still had no guarantee it was the truth. I had no proof. And most, if not all evidence, would have been gone by this point. After all, that was the beauty of all of it. You didn’t need much to pull it all off, and the things you did, you could get rid of easily.

“Fuck.”

10 Likes

Since you said we are allowed to tackle the letter trick and the murders separately, I shall begin with the murders.

The culprit is George. George killed Natsuhi, used a silencer or something, so nobody would hear the gunshot. He tried to create a locked room, but failed. He then set the egg timer connected to the gun somewhere in the mansion in order to trick people into thinking Natsuhi was being killed at the moment of hearing the gunshot. He lured Jessica into the VIP room and strangled her using the rope. He closed the door, set the chain and then waited until the gun he set would fire remotely. Once the gunshot was heard, he broke the window and jumped out of it and later rejoined with others. George’s motivation was becoming the head of the Ushiromiya family in the future thinking that would make Shannon fall for him. He killed Jessica because she was an obstacle, and he killed Natsuhi in order to place the suspicion on Krauss, or to make him give up his position as the family head.

I can accept this much for the time being, seeing as how the narration itself offers a fairly similar explanation.

Question now becomes - how could’ve George pulled out the letter trick?

So many gameboards, so little time…

I barely had enough time to read through the narrative, so I won’t be offering any blues for now, but I’ll just say that this fragment was certainly crafted by Bernkastel. After all, who else would make Battler the culprit?

3 Likes

My my, such confidence.

There certainly is a reason why Bernkastel’s name was attached to this game.

I do wonder if that’s really it, though…?

George switched Kinzo’s original letter with his own before dinner and stole the ring while Kinzo was asleep. The letter was pre-written and its contents being correct predictions involved an insane amount of good luck and insider information. George tampered with Maria’s food and set up a trap in the dining room that made the cart wheel get broken. He was aware that Battler would play the game from reading one of the letter exchanges between Shannon and Battler, and he managed to correctly guess Krauss’ number because 11307 isn’t just a random number, but of some importance to Krauss, and George learned that number from Eva while they were discussing Krauss at some point in the past.

Whoa there, can’t let ya write that one off so easily. The food was made by Gohda, and plated with the help of Shannon and Kumasawa. The food was then put on the cart and wheeled off. Where in that point could’ve George tampered with the food? Furthermore, keep in mind that the person who served the food was Shannon, and that no plates were marked for one specific person. In other words, who got what plate of food was completely random, assuming Shannon is innocent (and she has to be, given the rule about no accomplices). Meaning that, if the letter was pre-written - how on Earth could’ve George known that the dish he’d tampered with would’ve ended exactly in front of Maria?

There’s more I could say, but let’s stick with this, for now. Can’t go off giving you too much to work with, can I?

Rosa switched Kinzo’s original letter with her own before dinner and stole the ring while Kinzo was asleep. The letter was pre-written and its contents being correct predictions involved an insane amount of good luck and insider information. Rosa tampered with Maria’s food at some point during dinner (maybe she put something in it) and set up a trap in the dining room that made the cart wheel get broken. She was aware that Battler would play the game because Battler talked about it during their boat ride, and she managed to correctly guess Krauss’ number because 11307 isn’t just a random number, but of some importance to Krauss, and Rosa learned that number from Eva while they were discussing Krauss at some point in the past or she generally knew it because she’s Krauss’ sister.

I suppose we may as well cut straight through this one in one fell swoop.

The number 11037 holds no significance to Krauss. He picked it at complete random.

Does ‘complete random’ imply that he picked it with no factors implied at all? If not I’ll try with this:

Battler is the culprit. The letter Genji put on the table is the same Krauss read. Battler prepared the letter beforehand and switched the letter with the one Genji had before dinner. He tampered with Shannon’s cart while she was near his seat, so he was sure he would’ve been the first one to check it. Battler says he has sent subliminal messages to Krauss about the number five, but in fact he made Krauss think about the number 11037, the whole thing about him making Krauss think of number five is a lie. At some point during the dinner he tampered with Maria’s food, he could’ve used some strange substance which makes food taste bad, which he brought with him in a small package in his pocket.

Regarding the motive, even though it is not requested:

Battler thinks Krauss is the one behind his parents’ death, causing it to happen, for any reason, be it personal hate or financial issues. He killed Krauss’ family and framed him because of this. Krauss might be indirectly involved in the incident, too.
Battler tried to make George look suspicious too, so that he would’ve been less likable to Shannon’s eyes.

Unfortunately, a move I saw coming.

Naturally, by ‘complete random’, I mean that Krauss at that point truly came up with a random number of his own free will. He was not influenced by anyone to think of the number 11037.

The culprit is Shannon. The letter obviously is something she prepared beforehand, as a servant she was able to find out about Krauss’ sin, that’s why Kinzo says the walls listen. She then tampered with Maria’s plate either during dinner preparation or during the plating. She also loosened the cart wheel, and when she got close to Battler, she kicked it off the cart, because she knows Battler’s personality, she knew he would help her out. Regarding the number, even if it was random, there’s no real proof that she couldn’t have figured out Krauss would pick 11037, he mentions himself that she’s always been good at reading his mind. Now for the murders, Shannon killed Jessica, escaped through the window and prepared the trap for Natsuhi, which caused the sound they heard. I believe there aren’t enough clues regarding her motive, but it surely seems to be more about her than the story tells.

The hilarious thing is, the mind reading was only a joke until I realized it could actually be interpreted as a hint by someone.

Oh, well.

Nobody but Krauss could have guessed, forseen or influenced his choice of the number. Had he picked a different number, under the exact same conditions, nothing regarding the letter’s contents would have changed. Which is to say - the letter would’ve contained the number he’d picked. It’s my sincere suggestion to not try and wringle around this, unless you wish to go around in circles.

I’ll let the murders be for now. You haven’t explained the crashing but this should be enough for now to throw a spanner in the works.

I don’t wish to say someone changed the letter, so can you repeat in red that “Krauss would have noticed if anyone tried to pick the letter”?

That red would be too general, and certainly not what was established in the story. Once again, I will repeat the situation regarding the letter itself. Krauss did not pay attention to it, most people (side from the culprit, probably) didn’t. That said:

area

had someone tried reaching for the letter within this marked area, Krauss would have immediately spotted them, regardless of the point in time. This does NOT mean ‘he would have seen the people in this marked area do it’, allowing you to suggest that maybe someone who’d passed by him did it, and they are thus technically able to do it; it means what it means - if a hand had tried going for that letter within that area, it would’ve been spotted. Naturally, saying someone had casually brought a stick or a tool and used it to switch or tamper with the letter to go around that will simply not work here either; if you wish to suggest any tools, you have to explain how the culprit could’ve made it work unnoticed and how it worked in detail.

And even then, you’d have trouble explaining just how anyone in that area would’ve been able to covertly write the letter they intended to replace.

This is the nature of the mystery:

Assume the letter was switched, and you find yourself in the trouble of explaining how and when. Assuming it was never touched once, and you find yourself in trouble of explaining how the culprit could’ve made everything happen to fit it.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for confirming it. This is stupid but fun regardless, please enjoy:

The culprit is Kumasawa. She referring to Krauss as “Master” implies she knew about the money. She tampered with Maria’s plate before it was brought to her, and since Maria is a child, her plate probably was different from the others, after all one shouldn’t expect her to eat the same amount of food as Battler, and we also know that there were no leftovers from dinner. Kumasawa was under the table, and of course nobody would bother to check under the table looking for someone, it’s stupid to think anyone would hide there to do anything at all. She also tampered with the cart and, while Shannon was near Battler, she dealt the finishing touch which made the wheel come off and caused the entire situation, when Battler suggested the game, she decided to add that to the letter, so she snatched the letter from behind the table, even if Krauss would notice if someone reached out to it, he wouldn’t notice it slipping under the table, like if there was a hole there, big enough so that the letter could pass through it, but small enough to remain covered by the statue while the letter wasn’t there. She added the number Krauss picked and returned the letter to its original position. Even if she’s said to be old, nothing says it would be tough to her to escape through the window in the VIP room, and the crashing sound wasn’t from the window in the VIP room, just a misleading sound.

Unfortunately, it’s been established that Kumasawa had been in the kitchen when Shannon returned to it after serving the plates:

“Well,” she began, “I was initially helping Gohda in the kitchen. I helped Shannon with the plating. We put the plates on the cart. Terrible thing, what happened. It’s good to see nothing had been ruined! …Anyway, after Shannon returned with the broken cart, she went to get the champagne bottle. I’d suddenly realized that the sheets I’d used for some of the rooms I’d prepared were the wrong ones, so I went to fixed that.” She paused. “I-It was an honest mistake, naturally.”

Of course, Gohda would himself back this up, since he was in the kitchen the entire time and was present when Kumasawa was giving this testimony. Meaning, it would’ve been impossible for her to have gotten to the kitchen and be there, if she had been hiding under the table.

(And no, this shouldn’t be taken to mean as “well it never says in the paragraph she was in the kitchen” – she was. No worries there.)

Now, if you don’t like that, I can direct you to the fact that Genji was the one who placed the letter on the table. He could’ve very well have placed it somewhere else for all Kumasawa knew - if he’d placed it somewhere that wasn’t near her hole, how would she have been able to pull off her plan?

(Of course all of that is ignoring the silly nature of the solution itself, but I’d hate to just dismiss it as a “loltheory” and move on.)

The culprit was Battler. The letter has several parts, the first one is regarding Krauss’ sin, I believe most, if not all, servants knew about it, Shannon might have told Battler about it some time, or he could have overheard a conversation. The cart trick, Battler could have tampered with the cart and when Shannon walked right past him, he kicked the wheel and started helping Shannon. The steak was also his doing, he could have done something with Maria’s food while helping Shannon. Naturally he knew about the game he was going to propose, and the reason why he proposed such game is that he was confident Krauss wouldn’t let him down, while Battler and Krauss were talking about the mystery novel, Krauss said something about that number: 11037, so Battler didn’t foresee, or guess, he was told about it. The letter was never changed, Battler somehow tricked Kinzo into thinking he had to go along with his plan, maybe by convicing him it was a letter from Beatrice, stole the ring and had Kinzo order Genji to do as he was told. When Battler was alone with Natsuhi in the dining room, he convinced her to help him with a plot to scare Krauss and give him an idea for his mystery, so they decided she was going to stay in her room, with a painting at her door, and what seemed to be a trap inside of it, little did she know it was an actual trap, that killed her. He also convinced Jessica to help, but she was deceived and killed. Battler wasn’t noticed by the others inside the room, and he was the one who broke the window and fled the room, he was pretending to sleep when Shannon went to pick the coffee cups, that’s why he seemed to be asleep, but when Genji went to the shed he saw what appeared to be him sleeping, though it wasn’t.

I must stress that all the plates of food were identical and their distribution was dictated exclusively by Shannon at that moment. Meaning that even if Battler had tampered with the food at that point, there was no guarantee that plate would end up in front of Maria.

Once again:

The flaw in the following argument is somewhat suggested in the narrative itself.

[Battler, against George’s accusations] “How would I have known Genji or anyone else would even see me sleeping in the parlor?! How would I have known someone wouldn’t have passed by the parlor to see that I’m NOT there [as he, Battler, was in the room and breaking the window]?!”

In other words, the issue is this: what if someone had passed by the parlor at the point where Battler was in Jessica’s room and saw that he wasn’t there? In that case, it would’ve been foolish to claim he was asleep in the parlor. Why not simply claim he was in his room instead?

Since we can tackle the letter and the murder separately, I’ll make this move:
The letter was an elaborate prank done by Krauss, he was the one who instructed Genji to place the letter there, and arranged with Battler, Natsuhi and Jesica beforehand to surprise everyone with a murder novel-like plot as a test for the mystery he was writing. Of course, he didn’t expect Natsuhi and Jessica to turn up dead. The contents of the letter were made up on the spot, and since nobody else ever analysed it, there’s no way to prove that everything he read was actually written there.

Repeat this: Krauss read exactly what was written on the letter, he didn’t even misread a single character on it.