Devil's Playground - Game 3

Oh my god. I… I just wish that I could give more likes. This is the best answer I’ve ever seen, and I think will ever see. I’ll even elevate it to a Red Truth, just not the one for this murder.

In an alternate universe, this was how the murder was committed.The culprit for the basement murders was not human. The two victims found in the basement had planned to fake their deaths, and thus they faked the stakes in their head. The real “stakes” referred in the red could’ve been the beast’s teeth, which tore off as it viciously devoured its victims. How had the beast entered? It burst through the glass of the closed and locked window. The window was thus open - after all, there was a giant hole in it - but undeniably closed and locked at the same time, as well as unusable. The beast then exited through a dog door in the door. It is not a secret passage, it is part of the door. The door is indeed locked, so there are no contradictions. The dog then went upstairs and killed Dalinar, who snuck into the guesthouse as the others were entering. This explains all of the murders and doesn’t, as far as I know, contradict any of the red. The bodies in this case were indeed the five stated in red. They were all victims or witnesses. The beast was indeed inside the room when it killed everyone. It was not let in. The beast - this dog - was mentioned in the story. After all, luaDOG had promised he was the one who’d killed “these” people (possibly referring to the people in the basement) before the story had even begun.

Sadly, it’s not the correct answer, although I REALLY want it to be.

3 Likes

Why, thank you very much.

Although, I do have to point out, I do need a red that tells me why it’s incorrect for this particular universe~

Totally not gonna use it to fish for info or anything

2 Likes

No dogs were involved in this murder.

I was hoping for a good ol’ fashioned “killer had to be human”, but that works too given the doggy door, I suppose.

Anyway, let’s see… You said that no person could have more than one name, but what about switching names?

For example, something like Persona A and Person B pretending to be each other. (Say decided to do it before even arriving on the island.) So in the narration, A would appear as B, and B would appear as A. Thus, if the narration said “A and C walked into the room.” it would, in truth have been, B and C.

What I’m asking is to basically repeat this in red: The narration identifies all characters by their real names.

The window to the Basement is similar to a display window. Dalinar entered in the guest mansion while the group was entering it. Arya and Adolin are locked by Astrid inside the room in the Basement. Dalinar entered in the Basement window by going unnoticed from the door to the window, being in the window is the same as being in the Basement since the window constitutes a part of the basement, however, by not crossing past that display part, she never entered in the room in the Basement. Dalinar kills Arya and Adolin, and breaks down the window to leave the Basement. Astrid unlocks the door with Shallan by her side, at that time, Dalinar is spotted by them, it doesn’t matter where he was as long as Arya and Adolin were the only ones in the room in the Basement. Shallan or Astrid kill Dalinar. Astrid kills Shallan and commits suicide.

I really hope this is the right answer, this is getting ridiculous.

Hmm…

Wouldn’t this shoot that theory down…?

I do admit I’m kinda stuck myself, given that there is a red that basically denies the two viable suspects entering the window, despite it being confirmed the window was opened at some point (for what purpose, is unknown), while at the same time confirming the door wasn’t used to get in. Couple that with the same person needing to be responsible with both killings, and the only thing that comes to mind at this point really is a name trick of some kind… Even though I’m a bit unsure how it would work out with the red about the room being empty when Adolin and Arya entered the room, making the scenario that much more… weird.

The alternative is that the “window” is a special type of window… but the best I came up with was a furnace, and even then, there are a bunch of reds denying whatever scenario I can come up for it…

The window is in the basement even though it’s not in the room in the basement. Pretty sure this can be said in red, but I won’t be so rude.

Hmm, pretty sure there’s this red, though…

That just means there are no more than one door and one window even if the Basement and the room in the Basement is not the same thing. I understand your confusion though, this was a huge discussion and Luadog said himself he didn’t like this tale, there is no particular reason for the characters’ behaviour and it’s not even a mystery, but a logic puzzle. You literally arrived in the endgame where I simply have to adjust the facts until I match the correct answer, I don’t think there are any tricks left for this game, that puppy is fully cornered.

Where’s Blackrune now?:smirking:

2 Likes

RIP

It’s a shame, though. Even if it is wordplay, I was hoping there was a simple explanation that revealed we were misinterpreting something about the story and the way it was told. Alas.

all hail the dog explanation

1 Like

On mobile so I can’t search for it, but Red 76.

Arya and Adolin were the first ones to enter the Basement.

Also, there is like one more trick.

I’ll throw a bone to you guys. Cause of the sheer volume of Reds, it’s hard to find where you need to ask for elaboration on a term. I’ll point out like 2 or 3 Reds that can be played with to come closer to the right answer if you want. Alternatively, I could give a Red that could clarify a term that would also be useful.

I just want this game to end. Put me out of my misery.

Well, go ahead. Better than dissecting the entire basement. :tehehe:

1 Like

That doesn’t disprove my theory, I never said they didn’t, it doesn’t even matter to that theory, but you’re not the only one in misery so please do something about this endless adjustment of theories.

how can there be MORE??

…Jokes aside, the surprising thing is that even with so many reds, there’s still enough maneuvering to get out of it. Impressive, if nothing else. Yet, no matter how I think about it - whatever it is - it’ll have to pass through by the skin of its teeth.

I’m also still confused at what point had basement =/= a room in the basement, and to such a large degree, at that. I initially thought that entire thing came from a clarification that the floor of the basement is just one room… And if it isn’t, I’m struggling how you could have a room in the basement, but have the space outside of it not called a room, especially since it has both a door and a window of its own, supposedly(?) And it’s especially strange since this red, which I mentioned earlier:

was a response to this:

And in that context, to me, it seemed to suggest the door and the window spoken about here were one in the same, but…

iunno at this point

Discussig the game will be fun, alright let’s see if I can explain it to you, when we started tackling this mistery all reds referred to the basement, and that’s all, after Luadog was running out of option he made this:

However, he naturally refused to say the Basement and the room in the Basement were the same, afterwards it was uncovered that the trick is in the window, because it has a space within it that still counts as the window, a place inside the Basement and outside the room in the Basement.

The door to the Basement and the window to the Basement are the same as the door to the room in the Basement and the window to the room in the Basement.
That’s because we started suspecting that there might have been more doors and windows leading to the room in the Basement that didn’t count as the door and the window in the Basement, it’s basically a red to state there’s only a single door and a single window connected to the Basement as a whole, in other words, there’s no mid-space between the Basement itself and the room in the Basement, all tricks must be within “the door” and “the window”.

1 Like

oh alright so basically just a really thick window

The reason I gave that Red wasn’t cause I was in a corner, it was cause the answer wasn’t something you guys were near, so I needed to give a hint. It was super unintuitive.

Actually, I think farispie in discord said something very early on that was similar to the display window.

Another reason that this game has been going on is cause of Hovlane’s repetition requests. There were a lot of ambiguous statements he requested. The point of them was to corner me into giving up culprit identities, which he essentially made me do for Astrid (I could have kept going with her, but I saw that he was gonna force me to give her innocence).

To move (while remaining in the basement) from the door in the basement to the window in the basement, you must cross through the room in the basement.

So, there are actually a number of ways you can get through this murder (I have two that I’m thinking of and I will accept either).

Something that can crack this murder open is the definitions of “broken” and “entrance”.

Also, I feel obligated to mention that the second murder took so long because they forgot to confirm that Dalinar was dead and Zepfur saved them after reading over it for like 2 minutes. Saved yet again by an outsider to the Gameboard (Blackrune saved them in the game before). Tsk, tsk. Alex is fighting for his honor here :cackle:.

I suppose if you go with entrance =/= exit, you could claim the culprit could’ve gotten out of an exit, in spite of an entrance being locked…

Therefore - While the culprit most certainly did not escape through a window or door, there was still an exit they could’ve used. That is, while the only ENTRANCES were the door and the window, there was an exit - something that could’ve only been used to leave the room (something like a trash chute or something of the sort - where using it to get in from the other way is nigh impossible) As for how the culprit got in - they could’ve been in the door to the basement, at some point between the victims entering and the door being locked. After Astrid locked it, indeed - the two victims were the only ones inside the room. All the culprit had to do was step from the basement into the room, kill them, and then use the exit to leave.

It’s worth mentioning that red 101 goes out of its way to use “at this time” - not denying the possibility of the culprit having used this particular “gap” if you want to call it to be in the basement “hidden in the door”. The possibility of the culprit hiding in the door is also not denied by the red - in fact, all it states is that the culprit, if they were using a place to hide, had to have utilized either the window or the door in some way.

Heh, I’m disappointed with the possibility of the window and the door not being the only exits. I’m bored so give me something nice this time, okay? First, repeat this if you dare: “The body of the person who killed Arya and Adolin never entered in the basement”, you should be able to give at least this much, right? I won’t be so kind though, so here you go:

1. The window to the Basement is similar to a display window. Dalinar entered in the guest mansion while the group was entering it. Arya and Adolin are locked by Astrid inside the room in the Basement. Dalinar entered in the Basement window by breaking down the window, being in the window is the same as being in the Basement since the window constitutes a part of the basement, however, by not crossing past that display part, he wasn’t in the room in the Basement when the door was locked by Astrid. Dalinar kills Arya and Adolin, and leaves through an exit in the door. Astrid unlocks the door with Shallan by her side, at that time, Dalinar is spotted by them, it doesn’t matter where he was as long as Arya and Adolin were the only ones in the room in the Basement when their corpses were found. Shallan or Astrid kill Dalinar. Astrid kills Shallan and commits suicide.
  2. The window to the Basement is similar to a display window. Dalinar entered in the guest mansion while the group was entering it. Arya and Adolin are locked by Astrid inside the room in the Basement. Shallan stayed in the Basement window, being in the window is the same as being in the Basement since the window constitutes a part of the basement, however, by not crossing past that display part, she wasn’t in the room in the Basement when the door was locked by Astrid. Dalinar kills Arya and Adolin, and breaks down the window to leave the Basement. Astrid unlocks the door with Shallan by her side, at that time, Dalinar is spotted by them, it doesn’t matter where he was as long as Arya and Adolin were the only ones in the room in the Basement when their corpses were found. Shallan or Astrid kill Dalinar. Astrid kills Shallan and commits suicide.
  3. The window to the Basement is similar to a display window. Dalinar entered in the guest mansion while the group was entering it. Arya and Adolin are locked by Astrid inside the room in the Basement. Dalinar entered in the Basement window by breaking down the window, being in the window is the same as being in the Basement since the window constitutes a part of the basement, however, by not crossing past that display part, he wasn’t in the room in the Basement when the door was locked by Astrid. Dalinar kills Arya and Adolin, and uses an exit not previously mentioned. Astrid unlocks the door with Shallan by her side, at that time, Dalinar is spotted by them, it doesn’t matter where he was as long as Arya and Adolin were the only ones in the room in the Basement when their corpses were found. Shallan or Astrid kill Dalinar. Astrid kills Shallan and commits suicide.
  4. The window to the Basement is similar to a display window. Dalinar entered in the guest mansion while the group was entering it. Arya and Adolin are locked by Astrid inside the room in the Basement. Shallan entered in the Basement window by breaking it down, being in the window is the same as being in the Basement since the window constitutes a part of the basement, however, by not crossing past that display part, she wasn’t in the room in the Basement when the door was locked by Astrid. Shallan kills Arya and Adolin, and leaves through an exit not previously mentioned. Astrid unlocks the door with Shallan by her side, at that time, Dalinar is spotted by them, it doesn’t matter where he was as long as Arya and Adolin were the only ones in the room in the Basement when their corpses were found. Shallan or Astrid kill Dalinar. Astrid kills Shallan and commits suicide.