Gameboard of Recollections - Memory #1 [SOLVED]

Revision to farispie’s theory:

The culprit was Meridith! She lured Betty into the library and killed her, with a gun (perhaps given to her by Mr.Ward). Mr.Ward, being Meridith’s accomplice, closed the door and kept watch. Meridith escaped the room using a hidden passage. The purpose of locking the door was to create an illusion of a closed room. Meridith wanted to kill Betty out of spite of Betty’s promiscuity in the past. Ward became Meridith’s accomplice either through bribery, a personal vendetta against Betty herself (perhaps Betty was his lover in the past), or Meridith/Ward were in a relationship themselves.

Also, let’s see if we can get more to stick on the board.

Confirm:

Betty is dead.
No murders happened outside of the one in the library.
The body that the police found belonged to Betty.

Meredith never entered the library before Garrett opened the door.

Betty is dead.

All murders happened inside the library.

The body that the police found was confirmed to be Bethanie Sampson.

You think that stops my theory?

The culprit was Meridith! She lured Betty into the library and killed her from the hidden passage, with a gun. Meridith never entered the room. The purpose of convincing Betty to lock the door was to create an illusion of a closed room. Meridith wanted to kill Betty out of spite of Betty’s promiscuity in the past.

Alternatively,

The culprit was Meridith! She lured Betty into the library and killed her, with a gun (perhaps given to her by Mr.Ward) after Mr. Wad opened the door. Mr.Ward, being Meridith’s accomplice, then notified the police. Meridith escaped the room using a hidden passage. The purpose of locking the door was to create an illusion of a closed room. Meridith wanted to kill Betty out of spite of Betty’s promiscuity in the past. Ward became Meridith’s accomplice either through bribery, a personal vendetta against Betty herself (perhaps Betty was his lover in the past), or Meridith/Ward were in a relationship themselves.

The culprit was inside the library when Betty was killed.

Ward is not an accomplice, when he opened the door he wasn’t expecting to find Betty’s body.

That changes little! Take this, a barrage of blue!

The culprit was Meridith! She lured Betty into the library and knocked her out from the hidden passageway. Mr.Ward, opened the door and saw her body, so he called the police. Meridith enrered the room and shot her. Meridith wanted to kill Betty out of spite of Betty’s promiscuity in the past.

A thought occurred to me. Confirm.

The state of the room or anyone inside it was not changed between the time that Ward opened the door until the police arrived.

Now, to continue my attack.

The culprit was Sarah! She lured Betty into the library and killed her, with a gun. Sarah escaped the room using a hidden passage. The purpose of locking the door was to create an illusion of a closed room. Sarah wanted to kill Betty because she wanted to be Louis’s girlfriend.

The culprit was Ward! He lured Betty into the library and killed her, with a gun. He escaped the room using a hidden passage. He was expecting to have seen Betty’s body in the hidden passageways not in the room. The purpose of locking the door was to create an illusion of a closed room. He wanted to kill Betty because he wasn’t being paid enough, or she had been involved with him in the past and he was enraged about being set aside.

Further investigation led the police to the conclusion that Betty wasn’t shot.

I refuse. After Ward opened the door, many guests entered the library, and even a doctor amongst them confirmed Betty’s death.

Indeed there are hidden passages in the library, however the culprit never used a hidden passage to enter or leave the library. Ghosts can pass through walls, isn’t that common sense?

Ward knew nothing about hidden passages, he just speculated there might have been one because he knew the door couldn’t be locked from the outside, yet all he could see was Betty’s body.

The culprit is Ward. Betty entered the library through a secret passage. Ward was genuinely surprised when he saw ‘her body’ inside the library, but then proceeded to confront and kill her. The motive was as Meredith speculated, he was angry about finding out she had a boyfriend.

As if I would ever admit that something as ridiculous as ghosts exist. :annoyed:

Betty’s death was an accident. The text hints that Betty likes to sleep around, or at the very least, flirt around. She left the party in order to met random guy X in the library where they were planning to fool around. They entered the library through the hidden passage. Betty, being too drunk, ended up up in an accident that killed her, maybe she slipped and hit her head on one of the desks in the library causing her to die. Guy X used a heavy book to smash Betty’s face in order to make it look like a legit murder and escaped through the hidden passage. Why he did it? Betty either proclaimed she wanted to break up before dying and he was pissed, or he was thinking illogically and thought destroying her face would help his case. There is no legit culprit in the mystery due to the death being an accident caused by Betty herself.

I notice you changed the wording on this red…
Confirmed by the police, or confirmed by you as the narrator of the story?

When Ward opened the door Betty was already lying down on the floor.

Betty was murdered.

I acknowledge the body found by the police belongs to Bethanie Sampson. I apologise if it gave the wrong impression.

Not fully effective. There are various reasons why she might have been lying on the floor, like trying to reach a book from a high row in a shelf and falling down, or the secret passage being a straight up trap door that made her fall down from the upper floor, or just being too drunk to stand at that point. My theory is still workable.

It’s painful to give out something like this. Ward didn’t kill Betty.

The more you deny, the crazier they will get.

The culprit was Meridith! Betty faked her death for some reason. Mr. Ward opened the door and saw her body, so he called the police. Betty escaped using the hidden passage. Meridith saw Betty walking around after the murder, so Meredith lured her to the library and then shot her. Meridith wanted to kill Betty out of spite of Betty’s promiscuity in the past.

Also, confirm this.

Only Betty was killed.

After the door was opened Betty never left the library.

Only Betty was killed.

Confirm.

Does moving from the library to a hidden passage constitute as leaving the library?

Yes.

The culprit was Meridith! Betty faked her death for some reason. Mr. Ward opened the door and saw her body, so he called the police. Meridith later checked in on Betty, and found her alive, and bludgeoned her to death. Meridith wanted to kill Betty out of spite of Betty’s promiscuity in the past.

Confirm.

Nobody was in the library besides Betty when Ward opened the door.

The culprit was Sarah! Betty let Sarah into the library. Sarah killed Betty, and hid inside the library where Ward could not find her. Mr. Ward opened the door and saw her body, so he called the police. Sarah escaped when he left. Sarah wanted to kill Betty because she wanted to be Louis’s girlfriend.

Battler time to do you proud.

The culprit was Louis! Betty let Louis and Sarah into the library. Louis killed Betty, and left through the library door. Sarah locked the door and left through the hidden passage. Sarah and Louis wanted to kill Betty because they wanted to be together.

I elevate this to level of red truth.

2 Likes

Damn, I was hoping to put out crazier theories.

Good game. Definitely enjoyed it.

1 Like