Gameboard of Recollections - Memory #1 [SOLVED]

Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams. The witch was defeated by a black swan.

Betty wanted to play a little prank to scare everyone, so she decided to fake her own death inside a closed room, the library, having that special door was perfect for the job. Around the time when Louis caught up with Meredith and Sarah, Meredith spotted Betty around the crowd and followed her, she discovered a hidden passage and used it to spy what Betty was doing inside the library, when she noticed Betty’s weird prank she decided to put a plan on her own in motion, she waited near the library until someone eventually found the body, and used the gap during Ward’s frenetic attempt to call for help to enter the library and kill Betty with a paperweight she found on a desk. Betty didn’t even have time to react. After that she left through the door and pretended to be surprised when everyone gathered to see what was going on.

Congratulations @Luadog.

I’d like to know your thoughts on this game. Was it too difficult? Is the truth plausible? Can you see the clues pointing towards it? I got really nervous while doing this because I was afraid it would be solved too fast, but then it started taking too long and I got afraid thinking that if I concealed too much everyone would be bored.

Thanks for everyone who took the time to take a shot at solving this, I hope you enjoyed it.

Also, I’m accepting suggestions for future games, so every criticism is constructive.

Personally, I would have liked it longer and harder. I did come in halfway through and missed the original scramble, so maybe I’m not the best one to talk. I’m always in favor of making things last longer rather than shorter.

One thing I noticed (and I’m not sure how important this is to you) is that your writing could use a little polishing. You have a couple really bad run on sentences and other times you don’t use commas where you should have.

Other than that, great game!

Dang I missed out on the rest, but overall it was a great game!

That said, we were really mean to you with our blues :P.

Trouble is these gameboards usually aren’t long-lasting because there’s so many people thinking of different ways. With like 7 or more people seeing one mystery it gets cut away fairly fast.

Really liked the solution here though, gg

These are just my personal preferences:

• I would limit the amount of blue theories a person can make per a post to 1. The mystery becomes too easy to solve once a single person is able to create 4 theories within a single post.

• Betty playing a prank felt a bit unnatural to me since I didn’t spot any hints in the text that would indicate that Betty is prone to playing pranks or something similar.

Overall, a good mystery.

I can see where you are going with this and I in general agree with what happens but tbh that’s the point of the blue, it’s to whittle down possibilities. Making it so one person can only post a single blue would either make the mystery take too long to solve or encourage spam.

Creating the limit of one blue per post would just slow down the solving of the actual mystery because the blue itself has two uses. The first and the obvious one is to create your theory to present to the “witch” of that game board while the other is to cut down possibilities. If the only use was the first then I would agree with you, but because the second is also used we need to be able to spam blue. With this rule we could have a gameboard that could last a month if all we got was something around the lines of a locked room with a dead body inside. We spam the blue to figure out where the room has weaknesses to slowly find the truth.

Or it would just encourage spam because people would just post one theory then go to the next to get their next blue in and then the rule would just be pointless.

1 Like

True, I rushed to write this thing so I didn’t stop to analyse grammar, I’ll be more attentive to it in future games.

Nah, in this game I made a personal rule to myself to be pretty generous with the red.

It seems I didn’t have to worry about you becoming bored of the game and forgetting about it. Definitely noted.

I tried to do so by only permitting it in case you had a full theory but it just ended as a great edition of blue just to grasp basic information, I’ll try to think of a way to prevent this in the future.

I meant it to be hinted through the bullet wound being fake, I felt like putting it in the story would make the answer obvious.

Thank you everyone and please look forward to future games, but don’t expect me to be so nice next time we cross swords. This game helped me to acquire data on how you usually tackle the mystery and which theories pop out, and I’ll make sure to use it against all of you. It’s really tough to write a mystery because at the same time you worry about hinting to everything you also get worried about hinting too much and giving the answer away but I’ll always try my best to present enough clues so that your theories are much more than random guesses.

I had lots of fun playing with you all, until next time. :joyful:

2 Likes

lol, i didn’t get bored at all!
Just it seemed like everyone else was getting there and I wasn’t here from the start so it was hard to get my thinking straight on it.
Otherwise you’d have seen a lot of stuff from me