General Music Discussion - Discover New Music!

No I’m not going to talk about Neptune clips I swear.
Rather I would like to know if there are any other fans of Kajiura Yuki’s music here beside me?

For something less japanese I wonder if anyone knows of VAST?

Ayyy, I like Kajiura’s music too. Favorite ost from her was from Kara no Kyokai movies the most, though I think her Kalafina stuff are really good too

I’ve got a playlist of what I’ve been listening to recently. It’s a playlist of MASTERPIECES, my man. https://open.spotify.com/user/doctorhachi/playlist/2PtQRn96Wc0cG8KeSTAvPB

Current favorite song:

From WANOPO vol 11.

I also really enjoy songs like this, though I have no idea how I’d classify it.

Last but not least, anything Umineko, which I don’t’ need to link examples to, hah.

5 Likes

My music taste is pretty diverse. You could shuffle my library and get Umineko followed by Taylor Swift followed by La La Land’s soundtrack followed by Kalafina. Recently, I’ve really been digging Nujabes.
I spend a lot of time listening to albums instead of singular songs. Here are some of my favorite albums:
Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Frank Ocean- Blonde
Beyonce- Lemonade
My Chemical Romance- The Black Parade
Mitski- Puberty 2
Bon Iver- Bon Iver, Bon Iver

2 Likes

Hmm, how is Bon Iver, Flare? I have been trying to get into their music and I have a few songs of theirs that I like and listen from time to time, expecially from their latest album, but in general, they have such a dull, tediously calm sound… I mean, it does appeal to certain people but I prefer more eclectic sounds, rather than a sound moving towards a straight, uninterrupted line. They have a few songs like that, I know, but I wanted to ask, what songs of them would you recommend?

I’d agree that they really aren’t very eclectic, they’re kind of just feel good folk indie rock. But their album 22, A Million is more eclectic than their previous works. I highly recommend the song -715- Cr_EE_ks, it’s very heartfelt and rather different.

I know, I know, that’s why I listen to songs of theirs from that album the most. Well, I may give that song a listen later.

I’d like to share the works of Yusuke Tsutsumi with you guys.

Some of you may know him for his contributions to The House In Fata Morgana’s soundtrack. Many of his songs in that VN (best VN I’ve read, by the way) are in his album Cheap But It Glows. It’s available on Bandcamp and I believe his discography is all on Spotify.

7 Days In Sunshine (Cornfield Love)
Serie de Fragmento (A Requiem For Innocence Arrange Ver.)
The Strip Club
The Art Of The Mad Painter

His official website: http://artificialnakedwoman.com/

1 Like

So since we have several users capable of German speech, I was wondering, who of you all already know EAV (Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung)? Here’s one of their more well known songs, which someone actually played during a bank robbery once:

1 Like

AmaLee just posted an English cover of Higurashi’s first opening! I’ve been begging for this for years.

3 Likes

Very spooki

I mostly listen to power/prog metal, and I’ve been in love with this kind of music ever since my childhood days. There are 8 bands I am really fond of and from which I try to buy as much CDs as I can, heck I’ve got a bit more than 50 now I think. Not a single day passes where I don’t actively listen to music and that’s what drove me to start learning the piano (well, keyboards in the beginning) and try to write some music as well (I’ve got a musescore account if you want to check it out, but don’t expect it to be really great, it’s just me trying things that sometimes work…).

As for the bands themselves, here they are in alphabetical order, with a couple of songs which can be great to start discovering them:

The first two technically aren’t ‘bands’ but rather projects with a bunch of singers singing in concept albums composed by one guy in both cases (Tobias Sammet, who is also the leader of Edguy, for Avantasia and Arjen Lucassen for Ayreon). I’m currently slowly discovering Dream Theater and I know only four albums and two other songs but I can already tell I’m going to listen to them for a long time and that they belong in my list.

One thing I might point out is that most of the time when I try a new band I will listen to a dozen of songs all across their discography and then buy albums only knowing one or two songs, sometimes none at all. I really take the time to dig a band’s discography before searching new music elsewhere so I know there is still a lot I’ve got to check out, but I save that for later. I’m kind of fascinated by the diversity that can already be found with just these 8 bands, they’ve all got their own unique thing even though the genres are sometimes pretty close and I want to cherish that. I like to ‘decipher’ the artist’s sensibility behind their music and I like music the most when it is able to take me on a ‘journey through my thoughts’ (huh) or just make me feel… alive.

1 Like

Haven’t posted in these thread for a few months, well, not like I posted much in the first place, but I’ve sort of not listened to too much lately, I’ve sorta lost a bit of interest in music on that regard, though it’ll go away, I suppose. Anyways, I have been trying to get more into electronic music lately, electronic instrumental music to be more precise.

Also, @RKW, might I recommend Chelsea Wolfe, since you’re into metal? Well, her genre is not really that metal, it’s alternative and gothic, but it has a metal sound to it, though I wouldn’t know, I’ve never really listened to any metal. You should definitely talk about metal with Pliskin sometimes too, he’s into that, I think.