Higanbana 1st Night Ch. 3: The Princess' Lie

I believe the manga version of this chapter had a different ending. I haven’t read it myself, but I’ve seen images from it. It looks like Midori believes she is on stage and watching the audience applaud her performance. In reality she is on the roof top. She thinks she is jumping toward the audience, maybe expecting them to catch her, but jumps off the roof instead and dies. Anyone who’s actually read the manga, can you confirm/deny?

That was a disturbing ending.

Midori’s face at the end was just…like she had completely lost her sanity. There aren’t many thoughts I can share here, but here’s one: I did not see the twist coming nor the fact that the yokai’s ability is to make the lies reality. I love the fact that the entire chapter was lies from the beginning and it makes me want to re-read it just to spot all the clues again.

The fact that I didn’t see the twist coming is made even more hilarious by the fact that the title of chapter itself gives it away and yet I was too dumb to notice (seeing that everyone here caught on to the twist immediately makes it even more awful, God). :sweating:

Loved all the Umineko references, particularly the line where “Rokkenjima” is described as a mysterious play that is a fantasy but also like a mystery.

I don’t have much to say about Midori except that she is merely a depiction of the many ways people cope with bullying. Some people just take it, others ignore it while others escape reality by daydreaming and fantasizing (something I do often myself). We have yet to see a character approach this problem by asking an adult for help or approaching a family member.

That face is so disturbing and perfectly encapsulates her state of delusion.

5 Likes

I don’t really have anything to add that hasn’t been said before.

All I’ll say is that I feel bamboozled.

1 Like