Higanbana 1st Night Ch. 7: Utopia

There are some interesting themes and propositions put forward in this Chapter. The quotes are at the end of this post.

Teachers are in the best position in such an environment to research and implement strategies to prevent and stop bullying. But I have to say that during my schooling and after reflecting on it now, I recognised that many teachers I had simply did not have a genuine interest in teaching, and in ensuring the best interest of the children. Maybe some teachers started out having a passion but then it died out after seeing it recurring without any significant consequences (e.g., no one died or being seriously physically injured). Alternatively, some teachers simply don’t know what to do in such a situation (untrained), and is unmotivated to research or consult others as to how to properly address the situation. Or maybe these teachers were not bullied during their own schooling and therefore don’t understand the feelings/actions of those bullied. Or maybe it’s a combination of all of these that lead to inactions or superficial actions by teachers.

The idea of bullying creating a hierarchy due to the inevitable insecurities of interacting with others is an interesting one - one that I heard of. Unfortunately, the theory put forward does not actually help the bullied against the bullies.
Also the quote saying that Yukari recognised she felt at ease after confirming that ‘she was not all alone at the bottom of the class hierachy’ really hit home for me.

Utopia. With such a significant theme and title to the Chapter, it was suggested that the class united on bullying Yukari is a utopia if we just ignore that it was created at the expense of her suffering. When I reflect on this, really, everyday we live and consume, it is partially at the suffering of others. For example, animials for food, cheap labour in some countries, global warming, opportunties and money that others in less favourable circumstance could have used etc. Lottory for example is a clear example: where one or a group of persons win, and the rest loses money (which they could have used on something else). The one person gets to go to utopia. The rest are subject to temporary despair. Our world is therefore not utopia. But it is likely that some are experiencing utopia in our world.

In relation to several posts suggesting that Ryushiki is basically giving up when the bus-full of bullies were killed by Higanbana. I have a different interpretation. I took it as a metaphor that sometimes, bad things will resolve itself even if you do nothing (regardless whether it is a satisfatory outcome). For example, many people go through schooling and had been bullied; some receive traumas, some don’t; in either event, when they graduate, they no longer have to deal with that situation. Nevertheless, the impact of the bullying may linger with you, as with Yukari, who decided to ‘fight bullying’. Alternatively, some may be left with trust or relationship issues.

"If you retaliate, they’ll just keep coming for you.
Your bullies think it’s funny because you respond, right?
Just ignore them, ignore them. If you do that, they won’t bully you anymore."
She obediently believed this and put it into practice.
But somehow, … it seemed that in order to see results, she had to persevere for a considerable amount of time.
…
I asked for help. From my parents, from my teachers.
And their response was always ‘ignore them’.
… at some point I realised it.
I wasn’t the one who was ignoring others.
Rather, it was my parents and my teachers, who were ignoring me.

Bullying is an act of establishing hierarchy in group-oriented society.
And so if you’re not constantly doing that, you’ll become uncertain about your own ranking.
… And so, people cannot stop bullying.

Maybe bullying is something that can’t be helped… in order for people to live.
I think bullying provides some kind of nourishment.
Humans are creatures that are always insecure with themselves.
… They are creatures that are always uneasy about whether they are inferior to someone or something.
When you start feeling that… If there is someone lesser than you nearby, then they make you actually feel like you’re not inferior.
Maybe it appeases and calms their heart.
I mean, look at us… aren’t we both feeling it?
… I’m sorry about earlier… but when I heard that you were bullied too, … it really put me at ease.
By any chance, did you feel the same?
'I wanted to deny it, but it was true that I did feel that way. I was relieved.
I was relieved because I could confirm that I wasn’t all alone at the bottom of the class hierarchy.’
… A while ago, my teacher told me this.
If you’re only watching those at the top, you can’t feel anything but endless jealousy.
So instead, you should look at the bottom and realise how lucky you are.
I think that we, the bullied, … are that ‘bottom’ to people.
Just by knowing we exist, … our classmates can realise how lucky they are.

'I doubt animals want to be killed or anything.
But even though you thank them, … you still eat that meat.'
No animal is born wishing to become our feed.
In the same way, no person is born wishing to be bullied.
If I can pretend not to hear the death screams of the animals, and aimlessly go about eating meat.
…Then while being grateful to her precious sacrifice, … I should recognise this sense of unity and joy brimming over the classroom.
If I ignore the only one being bullied, then this certainly is a utopia.
But pushing misfortune on someone. Standing proudly about them… That everyone can be happy as long as someone suffers. I just can’t accept that.
'But you’re still using her hard work. Even if you can’t accept it, leisurely remaining a spectator still magnificently lets you stand above her,
don’t you think…?’

"Sakaki, why don’t you bully me?! If you did, I’d let you learn the greatest pleasure you could experience as a human being.
You’ll get along with everyone! Even those bullies who ridiculed you!! Isn’t that wonderful?!
If you cooperate and humiliate the scapegoat with everyone, you will be invited through the gate to the utopia where you can be friends with everyyyone!!

6 Likes

So during my Umineko Episode 4 reread, I stumbled upon something interesting:

Umineko Episode 4 Spoilers, probably

Part of me wants to see what the folks that want to make all of Ryukishi’s works happen in the same universe make of this.
https://imgur.com/a/u053m

3 Likes

It was only natural for Higanbana to be a recycling of old ideas. God bless Ryukishi for finding more ways to drive theory-crafters round the bend.

Hahaha wow, that’s a thing…

Did Higanbana just straight up kill the entire class? Holy shit.

Words cannot describe how frustrated I felt throughout this chapter. I was so angry, so irritated, and ugh…I straight up wanted to punch every single bully in Yukari’s class. Whenever we got a scene focusing on the bullies and their twisted dialogue, I just wanted to fast forward. “Playing” with her? She should be grateful for that? God, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were people out there who actually bullied someone with that kind of mindset. Dammit.

This was definitely…the most bullying-centric chapter so far, and I thought it was very effective in terms of the way it portrayed bullying in our society. At times, however, I was a bit taken aback by just how bad it was portrayed. Do teachers really join in and actively make fun of the student as well? Because that’s horrible. What the hell was that?

Furthermore, as shocking as it was, suddenly killing Yukari’s entire class to have her transferred into a new one where she wouldn’t be bullied did feel way too convenient. Realistically, this would never happen, but I can see why it would seem impossible for Yukari to fight bullying with the entire class turned against her. By placing her in a new environment where she actually has supportive friends and classmates, Ryukishi makes it possible for Yukari to fight bullying by helping other victims. So, even though it was completely unrealistic and convenient, I can respect the decision and the motivation behind it all the same.

Yukari is probably my favorite character so far. Like most characters before her, Yukari is incredibly human and throughout the chapter we are exposed to her virtues and her flaws, such as when she admits she did feel happy due to meeting another person of ‘her rank’. It’s a human emotion and Ryukishi does such an excellent job at portraying likeable, but flawed human characters. Yukari reminds me a lot of Marie but if Marie managed to gain her confidence a lot sooner and didn’t kill herself. Her best scene was probably when she declared to Reiko that they would fight bullying together (and it would have been even more amazing if Reiko had actually been Reiko :sweating:).

Marie herself has grown so much, and she has become such a strong person. Even if she was too weak as a human, I can respect her current desire to help others as a yokai. I said it before and I’ll say it again: if only Marie had gained such confidence a lot sooner, perhaps she would had a more satisfying life.

I legitimately didn’t see the twist with Sumire coming. However, Sumire herself was just stereotypically evil and not at all compelling. Higanbana needs more morally ambiguous yokai. Comically evil villains who are constantly predictable and not very fun.

Overall, I think that this was a great conclusion to the first night. Looking forward to more! :determined:

(I’d also like to thank anyone who is reading my posts. they’re not deep or analysis-heavy as some of the other posts here, but I hope you enjoy hearing my thoughts)

7 Likes

Reminding you to read these two articles linked back in this post of The Princess Lie.

2 Likes

I forgot to read these, thank you!

I am horrified. Now I understand that Ryukishi wasn’t exaggerating at all. Damn.

2 Likes

This was some heavy shit, it really cemented R07 as someone who “loves” to write and know a lot about bullying, eh.

The ending was kinda terrible though, the social commentary was very on point, but then it kinda goes over the top with it. Sumire is probably one of the worst characters he has written and the ending is just bad.