Higurashi in Umineko [Spoilers for both series]

I remembered it wrong. Joining this community was a mistake. I suck at Umineko. Deleting my account. Later.

You raise a fair point about what the logic error in Higurashi is based on that criteria. Featherine’s leaving it up to her Miko to solve it can be reflected in Hanyuu’s resignation up to Matsuribayashi, since Hanyuu’s is generally telling Rika, “Don’t get your hopes up, Rika, we’ll just move on from here, why bother.” But where exactly IS this logic error? We know it took a miracle to break through it, but what counts as the logic error itself?

1 Like

Yeah, I wish we at least knew for sure what the logic error was.

It doesn’t help that the only logic error example we have to look at is Battler’s, which doesn’t seem to have much in common with the Higurashi logic error.

But one interesting thing is that the story of Higurashi being the result of a logic error almost makes it sound like there was a “Higurashi Prime”, and only the last world “counted” because that was when the error got worked out. But in that case, it wouldn’t make sense that each Higurashi world continues after Rika and Hanyuu leave it.

This is a theory I had but if Okonogi is the same in both series wouldn’t that mean if you choose the Magic Ending of Umineko that Ange play right into TOKYO The Japanese Illuminati hands in the When they Cry Universe hands because she giving all Ushiromiya Political Power which she had for being the last living member of the Family to Okonogi who work under TOKYO.

Not until I did this theory did I come to understand that TOKYO is basely The Illuminati for Japan in When They Cry Universe.

I can’t believe that Ange giving the Ushiromiya family power and money to the WTC Illuminati is considered the true end of Umineko, holy crap. The Ushiromiya family is part of the Illuminati…

Wait…wasn’t Higurashi just supposed to be a story in the world of Umineko? Then what does that make Okonogi? Or TOKYO, for that matter?

Ryukishi, what even are you doing. Did Higurashi really happen in Umineko or is it just a story (and why is Okonogi here)? We’ve discovered the real mystery of the series, all just from this revelation. Does Tokyo exist? Why would Ange willing sell her family to the WTC Illuminati (if that Okonogi is the same one?) Is Umineko Okonogi the same one in Higurashi? Is he not? Is Okonogi just an Easter Egg and Ryukishi just went “screw it, he’s already there and I don’t care about fixing that?”

insert repost of the X-Files Illuminati theme

1 Like

My guess is that Higurashi being a story and Okonogi are both Easter eggs, and only Bern, Lambda, and Featherine actually have a meaningful connection to Higurashi.

So I’m going to think of Okonogi in Higurashi and Okonogi in Umineko as being different. However, that still leaves the question of whether Tokyo exists in Umineko and whether Okonogi (in Umineko) works for Tokyo if it indeed does exist.

Don’t forget that Higurashi also includes the release of its own book. In the fragments where Hinamizawa is destroyed in the disaster, Ooishi and Akasaka release a book about the weird events leading up to the disaster called ‘Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni’ so teenage Ange, at least, could have read it, along with Hachijo Ikuko. Ikuko is much more likely of the two, what with the professional interest of course.

But I do wonder if all of these references are a message from Ryukishi to the readers that we haven’t actually given Higurashi a proper solution? If a mystery manifests as a witch, and the witches of Higurashi are alive and kicking and not laid to rest like Beatrice was, then maybe there was a true solution to Higurashi all along that no one has actually presented to ‘complete’ the game and lay both Bernkastle and Lambda Delta to rest? After all, brain parasites and reincarnation really don’t hold up to ‘endless 9’ scrutiny or any of the rule sets used by Umineko’s detectives.

2 Likes

[quote=“GoldenBugHunter, post:60, topic:213, full:true”]
Don’t forget that Higurashi also includes the release of its own book. In the fragments where Hinamizawa is destroyed in the disaster, Ooishi and Akasaka release a book about the weird events leading up to the disaster called ‘Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni’ so teenage Ange, at least, could have read it, along with Hachijo Ikuko.[/quote]

If I remember correctly, wasn’t the Higurashi novel released in 1985? In that case, everyone could have read it except for Kinzo. (Shame, I think it’s a book he would have enjoyed.)

Battler says he’s read it in episode 1. Quotes a line from it and everything.

1 Like