Higurashi Rei: Saikoroshi General Discussion

General discussion topic for Saikoroshi-hen (Dice Killing Arc) of Higurashi When They Cry Rei. Saikoroshi refers to episodes 2-4 of the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei OVA series.

Feel free to discuss the entierty of the main series, but please tag any references to the Sui or Hou arcs or outside works with [spoiler], providing adequate context in parenthesis.

While this topic will serve as a general hub for discussion of the chapter, if a conversation ends up flowing in a certain direction (eg. You start talking about the series as a whole rather than this particular chapter), don’t be afraid to continue it in your own topic! Keep the “reply as linked topic” button beside each post in mind.

What would you rate this chapter?

0 voters

What a great way to celebrate a hundred years of suffering and torment, Rika.

I loved this chapter though. Seeing a truly alternate history for all the characters is weird and leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially after everything that’s already happened to Rika. It’s as if everything was for nothing. She knows it as well, as she immediately loses hope for her mistake and suffers a rather well-written dilemma of whether to accept her place in the new world or fight to go back to the old one. I found myself doubting my intentions of rooting for the latter at almost every turn. I’m also glad that it finally confirmed she was Frederica Bernkastel.

In the end however, as much as I enjoyed this chapter, I think the entirety of Higurashi would have been better if it hadn’t existed. I suppose I’m just ashamed I read it only a month or so after finishing the core story. :hahaha: