Higurashi Yoigoshi-hen Full Series Spoilers General

Discuss the manga and Kizuna arc Yoigoshi-hen, aka Beyond Midnight Arc, here. It is highly recommended that you read all of the Question Arcs before beginning this arc (although this was released before the arc it’s a spinoff of). It was also put into the Alchemist games, so if there are any differences between the game version and the manga, feel free to discuss them here alongside the original manga. Full series spoilers are permitted, but please tag reference to other arcs outside of the main eight and Yoigoshi-hen with [spoiler], providing adequate context in parenthesis.

Summary: It’s June 21, 2006, and the ban on entering Hinamizawa after the Great Hinamizawa Disaster has been lifted. Many people venture into the remains of this former village, among them is Otobe Akira, our protagonist. Young Otobe meets a mysterious swordswoman calling herself Mion Sonozaki, who, like Otobe and the other people they meet, has her own reasons for returning to Hinamizawa, and people are after Mion’s life. Can they survive their demons throughout the night, or will the demons win?

What would you rate this chapter?

0 voters

I didn’t realise this arc had a VN adaptation. But I’m guessing it wasn’t included in Hou?

Nope it’s from Kizuna/Sui. There are differences to the VN and manga to fit the Alchemist timeline.

Yeah, unfortunately. It would have been cool for them to have a sprite for older Mion, just look at how cool she is! I’m almost kind of worried about the differences Alchemist made to the arc, since I was not happy hearing about the changes made to the other manga-exclusive arc.

I was collecting the manga as it came up all the way to Minagoroshi-hen where it became expensive to collect volumes, and I was astonished to find one of the volumes of this arc at a bookstore in a theme park near where I used to live. Tumblr people have a problem with some of the stuff in it (no surprise there, though), but I think this arc is particularly fascinating. It keeps things feeling mysterious and even has a mystery in it, and it’s a really good what-if to Tsumihoroboshi-hen with what if Rena succeeded in the end. It takes a look at how others who didn’t experience the tragedy could be affected by it, and it features a really cute line that fits the character who says it: “Life is like a tube of toothpaste. We use up every last bit of it.” It’s difficult to find it on the internet (and even then, the translations for the manga-exclusive arcs are really mediocre), but if you can read them, I highly recommend it!

1 Like

As a fun little note, Yoigoshi-hen and Onisarashi-hen are the only Higurashi arcs to feature characters who have the same name, and they’re both relevant to the plot. We have Akira Otobe as our protagonist in Yoigoshi-hen and Natsumi’s crush Akira Toudou in Onisarashi-hen. It’s not significant, but it is pretty funny, especially since Yoigoshi-hen takes place 23 years after Onisarashi-hen.

If I had to rate it, I’d personally say it’s an 8.5 out of 10. The art is cool, the concept is really cool, the execution is generally well-done. My only complaint would be that the mysteries are easily solved (though to be fair, it’s a short arc, and elongating the mysteries would leave loose plot threads). As usual, the tumblr people have their complaints about it mostly with the fact that the abused housewife forgives her husband too easily after she murdered him,it goes to show that they do not understand domestic abuse or Japanese society at all. But if you want a good mystery with some action, Yoigoshi is for you!

1 Like