Introduce Yourself!

@Sapphire Ahhh man, I feel sorry for you, what a pitiful introduction to the world of 07th Expansion… You start off with all the worst adaptations, and worse still, even had the entirety of Umineko spoiled for you. That’s a real damn shame…

Well, nonetheless, I hope you find our forum to your liking :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been meaning to make an account here for months now, but here goes. I’m Suika, a 19 year old in the middle of nowhere, Illinois, USA. Right now I’m studying Japanese in hopes of being a translator someday. I’ve been on the Kazamatsuri forums for well over a year now, so some of you might already know me from there. While I’m slightly more passionate about Key, I discovered 07th Expansion around the same time, so I’m not exactly new to any of this despite being behind on my reading.

Admittedly my only experience with anything in the When They Cry series is Higurashi, which I was a massive fan of a few years back after watching the anime and reading the manga. I own the old Mangagamer release of the visual novel but have only read up through part of Watanagashi. I’m hoping to read both that and Umineko soon enough, though.

7 Likes

Alrighty well I’m Tomo, and I hail from Ohio USA. I’m a 25 y.o guy and I do freelance illustration. I recently just finished some visual novel work too, for yaoi jam.
I’ve read Higurashi, Umineko, and Higanbana-- still haven’t gotten to Rose Guns Days yet but soon! Higurashi was my first, and it’s also my favorite followed by Higanbana. Though I actually didn’t finish Umineko… I just never read the last two eps but I will once I actually get around to rereading the whole thing. Regarding the anime series, I’ve watched everything–Higurashi’s whole series, the Umineko partial series… even the Higu live action movies.

Outside of 07th, I’m a big fan of anime and visual novels in general, and war movies/tv dramas/docus, as well as tv crime dramas. Key and Nitroplus are two other studios I love, and that’s how I found Rokkenjima actually- through the sister site Kazamatsuri, which I’m also a member of!

Something interesting about myself… um well… I have a name on vndb?? lmfao Though it’s nothing too impressive, just one game on the list, but I thought it felt pretty cool.
Also I play Love Live! SIF it consumes my free time when I should be sleeping…

I hope to get along with everyone here! I also have my Twitter where I’m talking 24/7 (sometimes too much lmao)

6 Likes

Woohoo, Ohio represent!

Anyways, welcome. I’m sure we’d love to see some of your illustrations sometime if you’d like to share. Maybe you would be inclined to create some fanart for the Tea Party?

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
I’m 24, from France, and an avid reader of the “detective novel” genre and visual-novels.
I’ve been reading Ryuukishi’s works since Higurashi in 2008. I also read all the Umineko chapters back when Witch-Hunt was translating the PC chapters around 2010 (the waiting time between each release was actually useful, by letting us a fair amount of time to read and understand each chapter), and it was quite enjoyable.
By reading Umineko, I discovered a “classical” author in the same genre, John Dickson Carr, that also specialized in “closed-room murders”. Although most of his books are out-of-print, I recommend it warmly :wink:
I also lurk a lot in forums and came across an interesting blog that analyses each chapters, with good theories (that ended up right!), you should give it a try:
https://courtofillusions.wordpress.com/

1 Like

@klomlk The author of that blog, @Keikakudoori, happens to be a member here :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to the community, @SuikaShoujo, @artifedex and @klomlk! I hope you’re all enjoying your time here. Don’t forget to join our Discord chat!

1 Like

Hey there, everyone. I’m Funchal99 from Brazil and previously a user from the Kazamatsuri blog. Big fan of anime, manga and Visual Novels, with Umineko being on top of my list.

I’ve read Umineko, Higanbana and Rose Guns Days when it comes to 07th Expansion VNs. For Higurashi, I’ve only watched the anime.

Any other Brazillians around? I want to form a translation group to PT-BR but I just can’t find people for it.

4 Likes

Hello everybody here in rokkenjima, my name is alhen, i’m a great both umineko and higurashi fan, i was first introduced in this new world of vn thanks to umineko, when i first read the EP1 i found myself confused by how strange the story was but when i ended the EP2 i was amazed by the great mystery the puzzles the characters i mean everything was incredible well written and when finally i finished chiru i knew that umineko changed my life, this vn is very unique it may not be for everyone it can be sometimes confusing yet beautiful

PS: #allhaillthegoats :goat::goat::goat:

2 Likes

Glad you could make it @Funchal99!

@alhen Welcome to our community! May I ask, where in the world are you from?

oh well, i’m from Ambato Ecuador

1 Like

Hi, I’m chronotrig. I’ve been a fan of When They Cry VNs since Minagoroshi, and it’s one of the few series I’ve been following since then. I started out watching the first Higurashi anime when it came out, then got irritated when I learned that there were 2 more VN arcs that the anime didn’t cover. I started learning to read Japanese (sort of) in an attempt to understand those 2 VNs, then did the same for Umineko when it started coming out.

Since then, I’ve spent years trying to figure out Umineko, and I’m still finding stuff I’ve never noticed before (thanks in part to people on this forum). My biggest theory about the series is that most fans are missing almost half of the answer, but this remains unproven. My biggest goal is to not get wrapped into the kind of insane, thousand post thread arguments like we had on old Animesuki, though I sort of miss those days.

7 Likes

Welcome @chronotrig!

Since you didn’t bother to mention it yourself, this guy is the lead translator of Umineko’s Steam Release from The Witch Hunt! I am very humbled to be able to welcome you into our community. I hope you enjoy the kind of space we’re providing here!

2 Likes

I guess I forgot to do this, heh…

Hello! I am bionic (capitalization doesn’t matter) and I am here because Kazoku Collective.
I have read chapter 1 of Umineko (gee that sounds so sad when I say it). I hope to read all the 07th Expansion works someday.

Outside of Rokkenjima, I am an anime/vn consuming, video game playing, bad picture editing, aspiring machinist weirdo with too much yet too little time on his hands.

Nice to meet you all, and I hope to have fun reading with the bookclub!

4 Likes

I am a Chinese American living and working in Hong Kong. I have never played any 07th Expansion VN’s prior to Umineko, although I have played many mystery VN’s before (Never 7 / Ever 17 / Remember 11 / 999 doors) as I am a big fan of murder mystery and plot twists.

I’m a big fan of languages when it comes to hobbies, I speak Chinese, German (been learning for 4 years) and Japanese (still studying after 2 years). One of the greatest joys for me is interacting with the Umineko fans in both the western / Chinese community on the internet.

I have downloaded Umineko years before but the old artwork and lack of textboxes turned me off a little so I never bothered to play it after playing it after the first 5 minutes. However, with the release of the steam version and numerous positive feedbacks from veteran VN’ers. I decided to give it another try, and never looked back ever since! (Ironically I prefer the old artwork over the new steam artwork lol).

I really appreciate the effort from Aspirety for giving us first-time readers a platform via spoiler-free discussions and the podcast!

4 Likes

Heyo!

My name is Necem! I am 22 years old and from Germany.

I don’t know much about 07th expansion. I have only read chapter 1+2 of higurashi and I’m currently waiting for the ps3 sprite patch for chapter 3. But the 2 chapters I read were amazing and there are so many mysterys and things I dont understand that I decided to join here for some discussions to get a clearer picture (I say that but you probably won’t see much of me here, I just read most of the time and only post something now and then).

Of course, I will start umineko now although I am a little late for the Tea party.

I am also a big fan of Key (yes, I come from kazamatsuri) and vn/anime in general. When i’m not watching anime, I play videogames on my pc. If I had to name some favorite genres it would have to be Strategy games like starcraft, age of empires or company of heroes and RPG’s like elder scrolls or mass effect.

Anyway, it’s nice to meet you all~

6 Likes

My name is Kluck, hey hello
Welcome to my very own post
I’ll introduce my friends to you
Oh no! It’s Kanon.

6 Likes

Hi All, BlackRose here. I’m 22 and from London, UK. I’ve read Umineko which was my first ever VN and part 1 of Higabana (not Higruashi yet but I will get there haha!). I also have plans to read Rose Gun Days…someday. I was introduced to Umineko through the anime (although having finished Umineko I understand that it’s very lacking after watching it again to compare the two). I would love to go through the VN again since I read through it so fast that I didn’t stop to consider things to be honest.

Love Daisuke Ono (who voices Battler and Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji lol). One of my favourite characters is Dlanor A Knox who I introduced to my sister by showing her this clip of her amazing Engrish which is now a private joke between us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfJueMZJbIc

My other interests include Rock Music (Skillet, Memphis May Fire, RED, TFK, TDG, Theocracy etc); Vocaloid and Anime (mainly thrillers, I HATE Romcoms with a passion). I also am a massive fan of Kingdom Hearts and other random games like Jak & Daxter, Sonic, Assasin’s Creed. I am also looking really forward to FF15 coming out this year as well as the remake of FF7 :smiley:

Anyway, that’s enough about me. If you’d like to know anything more about me or discuss anything, please just ask :slight_smile: Over and out :wink:

4 Likes

Hello, I’m Alan and I’m 16 years old. I live in México and I love a lot all the 07thExpansion works.

Until this moment, I’ve only read Higurashi, Umineko, Higanbana and Rose Guns Days (I’m currently RGD).
The first novel I read from 07thExpansion was Higurashi. I read it because a friend of mine told me about it and I was interested in it, and I’m glad I read it, because she told me to watch the anime D:<
After I finished Higurashi, to be honest, I didn’t expect so much of Umineko, because I thought of Higurashi as the best history ever, but when I started Umineko, I fell in love with it. Since I started it, I can’t stop talking about it.

I found Rokkenjima while I was reading Umineko reviews and I was interested in it, so I checked it out.

Apart of 07thExpansion, I like a lot game series like Hyperdimension Neptunia and I play piano (so I play some of the Umineko and Higurashi songs). Thanks to 07thExpansion I learned how to love VN, so I started reading a lot of them.

I hope to get along with you all ;D

3 Likes

Glad to have you join us @AKASchuberto, @bionic, @biar, @Necem, @Kluck and @BlackRose! (Did I really miss that many introductions…?)

I hope I can count on your support to strengthen Rokkenjima as the place to be for English speaking 07th Expansion fans. We hope you enjoy the array of discussion topics and community events on offer. Be sure to hop by our Discord chat sometime as well!

1 Like

Edit: This was really long, sorry!

Hello! I’m Echo, I’d rather not tell my age, and I’m from Melbourne, Australia! It’s amazing to find such a collective of people so enthusiastic about 07th Expansion that speak English. I had no idea there was such a large fanbase for it since some series aren’t that well known (unfortunately).

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to read the VNs for Higurashi and Umineko, as it’s been troublesome getting my hands on the version I want. However, I’ve completely read Higurashi and Umineko, as well as watched the anime. I’ve only just started Rose Guns Days, and am slowly beginning to get back into Higanbana, as I lost interest in it for a while.
My first series was Higurashi, because my father came back from the library one day and dumped a bunch of manga into my arms and said that I might enjoy it. Little did either of us know, the book he gave me with a “4” marked on it was the very last volume in Matsuribayashi-hen, so before I got to read the series properly I already knew the ending. Oops.
Of course, my favourite has to be a tie between Higurashi and Umineko. They’re honestly just so different and have impacted me in such different ways that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to choose one over the other.

I found Rokkenjima through a Tumblr post! I have no idea who posted it, but I was scrolling through the Umineko tag when an advert for this community popped up! I’m very glad I was curious about this place.

My interests outside 07th Expansion… well, of course I love anime and manga (that might go without saying). I am a very passionate drawer! I have big ambitions for my future in illustrating, and I’m hoping to go to a college for an animation course for university (but it’s very very expensive, and in the USA, so I really need to save). Really, I don’t do much else except browse the internet and do Wing Chun (a type of martial art).

Bonus! I’m currently learning four languages, and I hope to increase that number!
Spanish - My mother’s native language is Spanish, so I’ve grown up with it, but I’m not very confident with my speaking ability, so I still consider myself learning.
Mandarin - Something I started due to school a few years ago, and have continue through online websites. I’m struggling with it…
Japanese - Woo! Probably the main language that I’m learning at the moment, and I’m advancing very quickly with it, which I am thankful for.
Latin - Ah, Latin. My grandfather was completely fluent in Latin, so that inspired me to learn it. I’m really terrible at it, though. One day I’ll get there (hopefully).

Anyway, that’s all about me! Once again, I am stunned that there’s such an active and strong community for 07th Expansion, and I hope to become active and get to know you all soon!

Thank you very much :smile:

5 Likes