Maria's Puzzle Book Reloaded [Puzzle 26]

I just fap to quadratic equations and discriminants :mariaemo:

1 Like

0,5*sqrt(2)

Is that a rectangle or can the corner of the “rectangle” be anywhere on the circle?

It is a rectangle.

0.5*sqrt(2) is unfortunately not correct. If the rectangle was a square, that would be correct, but sadly the sides of the rectangle are not equal.

Then isn’t it just… 1?

Am I missing something…

Oh yeah i’m being stupid

Yes, that is correct. Would you like to share your reasoning?

(I told you this will be over quickly.)

Because both… Umm… Dunno the term in english but both of the corner collecting lines are the same length in a rectangle. And the other one is the radius.

diagonals.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s the correct solution indeed.

That puzzle was in a Professor Layton game. It’s designed to trap people into actually calculating stuff when the solution can be found trivially by doing that very simple thing you just described.

(I remember it taking me an embarassingly long amount of time to actually realize that.)

…I knew I’ve seen that before.

I mean… It looks too obvious to me.

Then again this last year I studied so much geometry it hurts.

And I am never gonna use it again ;_;

Thank you :stuck_out_tongue: And I realized my embarassing typo. I meant connecting. :stuck_out_tongue:

ok i need to sleep im writing stupid shit

Also, now that we’re in the topic of simple and silly things, this isn’t really even a puzzle of any kind, just a surprising little fact.

I take a very long rope and loop it around the entire Earth by the equator. Then, I stretch the rope so that everywhere, the rope is one meter away from the surface of the Earth. How much does the length of the rope increase?

(we assume here that the Earth is a perfect sphere)

1 Like

4 pi meters, no?

Just 2 pi, actually, but yeah.

It’s surprisingly little, and the calculation makes it apparent that the increase doesn’t even depend on the radius of the object it was draped around in the first place. If the same thing was done with the moon, the result would still be roughly 6.3 meters.

1 Like

Is it possible for Lothar to win the bet or was he overconfident this time?

He is fat, overconfident and lazy. But that’s Mrs. Sugarhoney’s fall. Instead of proper parenting she spends all her time in the kitchen doing gingerbreads, maybe she should spend more time with her kid! Learn something from this!

2 Likes