Maria's Puzzle Book Reloaded [Puzzle 26]

This is the way I solved one of these when I was given it (I think?)

I mean I don’t know maths much at all/never really studied it, but I made my own tricks for some stuff, so I was just interested in seeing what would be “taught” in contrast to what I use.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who’d do it that way.

I think what you posted was much typical than what akafa posted. I mean I’d do it your way :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure I’ve learned that at some point, but my brain is still in Summer mode. Bah.

I get ya, my brain is in “never gonna use these again coz medicine” mode. And I even learned integrals and such. Ugh. ;_;

If Vyse doesn’t mind, I could share a brief silly little thing from something that Usagi’s puzzle somehow reminded me of even though there is no direct connection. This should be over quickly.

layton

That’s a quarter circle of radius 1. Find the length of the red line.

I just fap to quadratic equations and discriminants :mariaemo:

1 Like

0,5*sqrt(2)

Is that a rectangle or can the corner of the “rectangle” be anywhere on the circle?

It is a rectangle.

0.5*sqrt(2) is unfortunately not correct. If the rectangle was a square, that would be correct, but sadly the sides of the rectangle are not equal.

Then isn’t it just… 1?

Am I missing something…

Oh yeah i’m being stupid

Yes, that is correct. Would you like to share your reasoning?

(I told you this will be over quickly.)

Because both… Umm… Dunno the term in english but both of the corner collecting lines are the same length in a rectangle. And the other one is the radius.

diagonals.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s the correct solution indeed.

That puzzle was in a Professor Layton game. It’s designed to trap people into actually calculating stuff when the solution can be found trivially by doing that very simple thing you just described.

(I remember it taking me an embarassingly long amount of time to actually realize that.)

…I knew I’ve seen that before.

I mean… It looks too obvious to me.

Then again this last year I studied so much geometry it hurts.

And I am never gonna use it again ;_;

Thank you :stuck_out_tongue: And I realized my embarassing typo. I meant connecting. :stuck_out_tongue: