Poll: Which is your favourite Umineko Episode? (Spoilers)

• Episode 1: Legend of the Golden Witch
  • Episode 2: Turn of the Golden Witch
  • Episode 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch
  • Episode 4: Alliance of the Golden Witch
  • Episode 5: End of the Golden Witch
  • Episode 6: Dawn of the Golden Witch
  • Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch
  • Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch

0 voters

Which Umineko Episode is your favourite of them all? You can only pick one! Please explain your reasoning why below, and feel free to mention any runners up. Together, let’s determine Rokkenjima’s favourite Umineko Episode! Full series spoilers obviously, don’t feel pressured to tag them.

3 Likes

For me, I’m tossing up between 5 and 6. 5 was absolutely amazing in terms of the Gameboard, so exciting and full of twists! But Episode 6 was just… Fascinating to me. It was a very unique experience that left a big impact on me.

3 Likes

Mine certainly is the theatrically well crafted, symbolized and presented Episode 7.

Second one would most likely be the geniously executed atmospheric greatness of Episode 5 (that one really messed with my emotions too… poor Natsuhi).

I’m not finished with Umineko yet, so I won’t vote for now, but thus far, Episode 5 should be my current favourite. The storytelling, the twists and the approach taken towards the mystery this time were pretty interesting and the conversations between the characters were well-written. I may change my mind later on when I finish Umineko though, of course…

For me it’s in between episodes 2 and 5. I went with 2 for now. A lot of people seem to give shit, so I’m voting for the underdog. I’ve already given my 5 cents on why I like 2, and I don’t like repeating myself. In short, it starts off the game really well in terms of atmosphere and mechanics. As for why episode 5 is the runner up, the apotheosis scene is simply too awesome. Promise is also such a great song to encapsulate all the shit that happened. Heavy spoilers in the lyrics

2 Likes

A bit hard for me to choose, not having read umineko in, like, 5 years… But I’ll go with epsiode 3. From what I remember, at least, ep 3 showed the most interesting relationships between the cast on rokkenjima. Plus the ending was, well… Suffice to say I loved that ending

It’s been a while since I read Umineko, but I voted for EP7 like Higurashi’s EP7 I really like how it all came together.

I think EP3 was my favorite Question Arc since it really got me into Umineko.

1 Like

I chose my favorite arc overall (EP3) though out of Chiru, I loved EP7 and 5 best.

EP3 is where the story changes up with more magic characters, and I felt that the first two arcs had too slow of pacing. EP3 has things that allure most people in (magic, witches, murder mystery) without it dragging on for so long. I like EP5 because it’s a new view on the same game board where the stakes are high for the protagonist and Erika, the problematic fave, first appears. EP7 has so many new characters due to the meshing of fragments and the truth about the games is finally spelled out.

Even though I haven’t read chiru yet I decided to vote anyway. I ended up voting for Ep 4, thanks to the interesting stuff it does with HER story, the absolutely insane and fun magical scenes, the great new tracks and the incredible revelation that’s brought up which can completely change the way someone looks at the mystery.

2 Likes

I’ll postpone my voting until after I finish rereading all of Umineko. Funnily enough, I’m getting completely different vibes this time around.

I haven’t finished reading so I won’t vote, but as far as the Question Arcs go it was EP3 that got me hooked. For the Core Arcs, I can’t choose between 5 and 6. I’m currently reading 6 though, so that may be part of why I can’t choose. I really, really disliked Erika in EP5 but she’s a bit more bearable in EP6…on the other hand, EP5 had a lot of important moments between Natsuhi and ‘Kinzo’, and I could understand a lot about how Natsuhi was feeling. So for now, I will say EP5 is my favorite. Of course, that is subject to change as things progress.

I really liked EP5 even though it was (mostly) technically filler. Erika was the perfect disruption to the Umineko formula.

2 Likes

Time to necro this thread out the wazoo

For me, it’s Banquet (EP 3) hands down. Banquet changed the whole game. Banquet was our first real guide to solving the mystery, dropped hints at the catbox, had excellent music and closed rooms, and had an awesome final plot twist to boot. Not to mention that it wasn’t near impossible to solve (stares at EP 2)

3>5>7>8>6>1>4>2

EP 2 really just doesn’t stand out to me. I don’t know if this makes sense, but it’s kind of the most… standard, or formulaic arc. It doesn’t really have anything that other arcs don’t have and it doesn’t do anything that other arcs don’t do better in my opinion. Well, except Best Mom Ever.

1 Like

We have some differing opinions then. EP2 has become my personal favorite Question Arc on reread. Just look at how I gushed over it in the Spoilers Discussion thread.

1 Like

EP7 is my absolute favorite, but that doesn’t mean I think it is better than the other EPs! I met my soulmate in EP7.

4 Likes

Oh goodness… it’s so hard to pick a favorite. >.> Umineko in general is absolutely incredible.

Episode 2 is very introspective and character-oriented, and the first quarter of the episode feels more like Umineko 1.5 since it’s comparatively down-to-earth and doesn’t feature much in the way of overt, obvious magic (I know magic is present since the very first episode, but there’s no way for newcomers to the series to tell that, unless you’re a lot smarter than I am I guess). I also love aquarium settings, so the intro scores points with me.
Episode 4 is completely amazing all the way around. Longest story in terms of word count, some incredible hotblooded scenes with George and Jessica’s trials (George proclaiming that he’ll give up his family for Shannon’s sake gave me goosebumps), and the extended stretch of the game which focuses on Rosa and Maria is a fascinating examination of abusive relationships.
Episode 6 wins on atmosphere. I loved how despondent, downbeat, and quiet so much of the story was.
Episode 7 was a very unique experience with so much focus being aimed at an entirely new cast, and it did a wonderful job of humanizing a character (Kinzo) who up to that point didn’t feel very human at all.

As for the others that aren’t in the running…

Episode 1 was a lovely read the first time through, and is fundamentally different from the rest of the series since to the untrained eye it possesses no magic and no demons or otherworldly creatures… but to me, it has far less re-read value than any of the other seven.
Episode 5 was pretty good, but it’s probably the Umineko I’m most lukewarm towards.
Episode 3 and 8 are great, though neither is a contender for number one status for me. I find episode 8 to be rather underappreciated, whereas I find myself to be less infatuated with episode 3 than most of the fandom is (which has always been a pet favorite among Umineko-ers).

I’ll throw in a vote for Episode 4, but it’s not an easy vote at all. To me, deciding which episode of Umineko is the best is like deciding which piece of pure, solid gold is the shiniest. They’re all pretty much masterpiece tier.

4 Likes

EP7.

Because Sayo and Will. I actually don’t like the Tea Party anywhere near as much as the main episode.

2 Likes

Episode 5 and Episode 7 switch for me, but I’m also very fond of 2 and 3. I think 5 is the most consistently good and 7 has the highest highs and some very satisfying answers.

1 Like

Well I’ll vote for ep2.
Tho 4 and 5 would’ve been close contenders to me.

I’m voting for Episode 8. It was a great ending (that Bern vs Lambda fight though, plus Featherine’s show of power) and I don’t think Ryukishi could have done it better. Episode 7 is a close second, mainly because I loved the backstory about Kinzo, the Beatrices and the inclusion of Lion and Will.

I also enjoyed Episode 3, based solely on EVA-Beatrice. She is so entertaining! Episode 5 was also up there due to the incredible interactions between Battler, Erika and Dlanor, and that amazing ending with Battler becoming an Endless Sorcerer.

1 Like