Rokkenjima Communal Mystery Visual Novel!

Ooh… this sounds interesting.

Now I did do a VN as a day job for awhile. But I am a little busy so I wouldn’t be able to contribute a lot of time towards it.

However I can program some crazy custom VN features if people desire. Those take comparatively far less time to do than writing/editing/drawing.

1 Like

I’m willing to help a little in any way I can, which is basically programming and… well, I can sprite, not sure about drawing stuff though. I can also give my input on story of course, although it’s not my forte.

1 Like

I feel like I’m the only one who basically can’t do anything to help, haha.
But I’ll hopefully be able to do what I do best anyway, read it and give my opinion once you are done.
The idea is great and I’m looking forward to what your crazy collective mind can create.

1 Like

You and me both I guess… I am a great proofreader though! :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, we should attempt this like a fan game, maybe with Umineko characters, maybe with community people, but nothing professional? :stuck_out_tongue:

If I wasn’t taking university exams in roughly 20 days I would’ve been inclined to contribute immediately. Alas.

I’d beta-test, at least.

Finger painted sprites sounds incredible though, could be a wonderful homage to Higurashi.

2 Likes

I guess making a VN on your own is a lot easier if people are willing to accept finger painted sprites lol

I think finger painted sprites would be a wonderful homage to Higurashi. I’m all in favor of it. I also think we could use someone to make some Dai-esque music (or just original music in general). If I had any sorts of talents in that field, I’d be more than willing to help. Unfortunately, I cannot carry a tune to save my life.

That said, I am an incredibly good editor. Like @Wonderlander I’d be more than happy to proofread. I had a newspaper back in highschool, so I even have a little bit of experience in the field! However, like @Funyarinpa, I also have a unhealthy dose of final exams coming relatively quickly.

I think that as long as we keep the novel fairly short, it’s feasible. And as long as we all pour our hearts into it, I truly believe it will be good. Because effort itself means something. Even if only a few are able to see that effort, as long as it reaches someone, it’s all worth while.

So far, here’s what the list of interested persons looks like:

Writing:
@Karifean (yea)
@MrDent (yea)
@thesorceress
@Blackrune (yea)
@U4ea (yea)
@Pandora (yea)
@Vayalite (nay)

Art:
@Blackrune (maybe?) (yea)

Programming:
@midsummer
@Karifean (I think?) (yea)
@Blackrune (yea)
@Dreamheart (yea)
@StarTurner (yea)

Useless (er, ‘Moral Support’ and Official Coffee Lackeys):
@Doldod
@Wonderlander
@Funyarinpa
@EternalMagician

Murder Victims:
everyone except me

Regardless of our intent with this project, I’m thinking we’ll have to stick with reusing other art assets, unless we want to stick all the work on one poor soul. Which would be fine with me :cackle: though I suppose some of us have a conscience. If we’re reusing artwork, might as well reuse music too.

Given that the glorious writing team looks like it’ll be massive, we probably need to figure out how to split up the work among those interested. There’s different ways to do that, but it will come down to this: we need to make the story first.

I’m just going to throw this out there for interested writers, as it’s amazing writing advice. Written from a different perspective, but applies to pretty much any character-driven work: http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/461.html

Just click the arrow to go to the next entry. Read through them, be amazed, and then go read his Dresden Files series. It’s wonderful; very good urban fantasy. No locked room murders (actually, there are some, but the answer is magic :cackle:), but still pretty nice.

Current project proposal: locked room murder mystery utilizing other art and music assets (making this more fanfiction than anything, since those assets will probably be 07th Expansion). Plot will be formed through community discussion; tasks will be relegated among the teams.

Main issue: writing team task management. We can either go with a main writer, to keep everything written in one style, or split scenes, or routes/what have you, among multiple writers, which would risk an inconsistent writing style, or do both: many writers, one writer going through and making it all look the same-ish style. Otherwise, we’d get gems like:

“Jimmy went to the bathroom. Jimmy ate a potato. Jimmy choked and died.”

“And thus it happened there, that Jimmy hath died within the room of bathing, from whence came many potatoes. Glorious in their potato natures, they attracted potatoes and thus was born the witch of endless potatoes. and everyone hated it. the end”

I think that would actually be hilarious to read, but it would be a tad disconcerning for readers to keep switching up styles.

Anyway, if you think this sounds good and are willing to launch the project in the next week, give a ‘Yea’ below. With reasons and such and thoughts on the writing issue. Otherwise, I’ll delay it till May or June-ish.

5 Likes

I guess I can join in on the fun too. Perhaps this could be our community event for the 10th anniversary of Umineko!
I’m great at editing and I consider myself to be a pretty decent writer, so I guess I can help in that regard.

1 Like

I could join the fun as well but I don’t have anything to really bring to the table except for maybe ideas so consider me a useless goat or a coffee monkey.

1 Like

Yea, I’m good with going ahead soon.

@ghagler this sounds good to me! I say we do both, since that will be the fastest. I volunteer myself as the one who makes sure everything sounds good, since I’ve had experience with newspapers (which also had multiple writers at times!). That said if someone else would like to do that instead, I am more than willing to contribute elsewhere.

You get a yea from me!

Also @Pandora, I also think this is a great anniversary present we are creating! Perhaps with enough love, it will be seen by Ryukishi? I doubt it, but boy that’d be cool.

Sounds good @ghagler, has my yea even though I’m not on the writer team…
As for programming though, if there’s to be multiple people on that front I’d suggest github or something, and picking a language.

I hope I’m not too late to join as a writer!

I initially did want to join this project, but I dropped it due to other engagements that keep me busy until the first week of May.

However, looking at the way things are going, I think I can definitely contribute to this project.

Concerning the part where we try to weave the web of words to enmesh the meaning of the event, I think out of all things I can be useful in, that should be easiest to be useful in.

Of course, all this is meaningless without being accepted, so I hope you will accept me.

EDIT: I must admit though, that if the project really does start by the next week, then I can’t join. Sorry

Sounds good to me as well. Have my Yea.

You have my Yea!

We have a yea from almost everyone interested; as such, it seems we’re good to launch! I’ll see if I can set up a Discord and Google Drive space for us to get started; I’ll send out invites sometime this week.

In the meantime, programmers: start thinking about how to implement this. I don’t know much myself of how we’d reuse assets and the like, or the best way to go about this; better to get a good idea of our game plan early on. Programming can be a pain if we encounter annoying bugs late-game.

Sorry! Was busy this weekend. That’s a yea from me.

1 Like

Considering that there are four other programmers already on board, it seems unlikely you really need a fifth one. So, I suppose I’ll be enjoying this project as a reader when it is finished, instead of participating in creating it.

If people start dropping out or the programming team runs into other problems they feel they can’t properly handle on their own, you can always try asking me. I’m not that experienced a programmer and I might be busy, but I’ll help out if I can.

1 Like

I have the Google Drive and the Discord both set up; I’ll be messaging each of you the link to the Discord in the next hour or so. I’ll try to assign roles as you accept the invite. If you don’t use Discord, let me know; the initial plan is to use the channel to manage and discuss everything, but we can try to accommodate anyone who isn’t part of it.

As for what the initial plan is: I’m setting up some pages in the Google Drive concerning several elements (drawn from the Butcher live-journal series on writing I posted earlier) along with some discussion points in the Discord. That should give us a good start for discussing what we want to do with the project.

5 Likes