[Spoilers] To get someone into Umineko

I used to tell my friend a lot about Umineko and how it is the most complex story I have read, but somehow that didn’t get through. What got through was her listening to Ricordando il passato from me numerous times and then listening to it on her own. One day she just started watching a let’s play video on youtube and continued from there. She has been close to finishing Ep 4 for a few months now, but unfortunately due to having to go to two jobs and attend college at the same time, she took a break.

I’ve told many others about Umineko and its multilayered structure, but none got to reading it so far. Most people get interested when I tell them about the overall plot of the series, rather than the plot of the first game.

1 Like

I convinced my best friend to read it and she really loved it. I have one more friend I think will enjoy it, but she is quite sensitive, and considering all taboo topics in Umineko, I’m not sure I want to subject her to it. Lastly I’m having my boyfriend read it. He isn’t used to VNs, but he is determined, so I have no doubt the entire thing will be finished. (He’s currently reading EP4)

2 Likes

I have a friend who watched the Higurashi anime and liked it, so I showed them the Umineko anime and only revealed after the last episode that the answer arcs were missing, and that’s how I made she read Umineko. As bad as the anime is, it at least serves the purpose of making people curious.

1 Like

Interesting. Despite my first exposure to Umineko having been the Anime as well, I tend to only recommend the manga to those who have no time to read the VN (which is virtually everyone, technically me included). Though like I said above, that tended to backfire with peope who have little interest in Manga to begin with. That one acquaintance I got to read the manga together with me was immediately put off by how Battler is introduced groping Jessica. And I can’t blame her, those scenes of him playing the perv are totally unfunny and irritating and I blame the episode 1 manga starting as weird as it does a lot for why so many people drop it right away.

Then again, the Anime starts virtually the same way… -.- No love for the airport scene at all…

2 Likes