The Almighty Book Thread

Been reading Discourses on Livy by Niccolo Machiavelli. Really interesting read, providing interesting text about civil rights. Would recommend anyone who’s interested in politics

4 Likes

I’m reading Three Kingdoms right now. Despite hundreds of names I can’t remember it’s really epic story and I’m sucker for ancient chinese history!

5 Likes

I have shit ton of Ranma 1/2 manga that I binge bought like early last year and still haven’t even touched.

2 Likes

It’s so sad to see this thread dead so maybe it’s about time to breathe some life into it.

If I were to list all the books I love, I’d most likely reach the character limit. I don’t think I recall any book I didn’t enjoy. In this case I’ll just list the ones that hold a special place in my heart.

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
I can’t list only one book from that series, I loved them all. I’m still in the middle of reading through all the books in a chronological order, and so I can tell how Pratchett’s writing improved with time. The Death books might just be my favorite of them all.
I want to share with you a quote I found particularly relevant to this forum, after all, isn’t this basically one of Umineko’s lessons? (Death is the one speaking in all caps.)

There are more quotes like that but I don’t think this thread is the best place for them.

Neuromancer by William Gibson
This book is most likely what made me interested in the cyberpunk genre. It’s interesting to see how the author managed to predict some things related to the modern virtual world.

Mystery novels by Agatha Christie
Umineko made me start reading her works and I absolutely loved them. I was pleasantly surprised how unpredictable the solutions were, I honestly thought nothing would slip past me after what Umineko taught me about the world of mystery novels.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Together with the Discworld series, the funniest books I’ve read. Maybe I’m just in love with the British humour, who knows.

Actually, this post is probably already longer than what most people would feel like reading, so I’ll stop here for now and hope that the thread gets revived.

William Gibson, eh? Can’t say I’m into him, not that I’ve read him, but science fiction and the, uh, negative aspects of technology and such don’t interest me in the slightest and besides, the contents of Neuromancer seem rather violent to me. As for the other ones you mentioned, I’ve just read one book by Agatha Christie, which is fine but it doesn’t interest me too much to want to talk about it. But, by all means, please do list more of your favourites, maybe I’ll find an author we mutually like.

I’m sure that’s possible.

The thing is, I don’t read books because of the author, I just read what catches my interest. That’s why I’ve read plenty of books from authors I wouldn’t read under different circumstances. I suppose what I’m trying to say is that I’m open-minded and try my best not to confine myself to one author or genre.
For example, I really enjoyed Ray Bradbury’s collection of short stories, "The Illustrated Man."
I’m fond of short stories in general.
After all, I can’t handle horror movies and video games, but as for books… I find Stephen King’s various short stories very interesting and enjoyable.
Speaking of him, his nonfiction book, “On Writing”, is a captivating read. I’d even recommend it for people who don’t plan on becoming writers.

There’s more, but I’d also like you to mention some of your own favorites. That way finding things we both like will be easier as well. And I’m always looking forward to expanding my never-ending backlog.

I didn’t say that I read books because they are written by an author who has received a lot of praise. Actually, I’m quite against it, I don’t like people who read books because they’ve been praised at all, I’ll immediately drop something I don’t like just by reading its first few pages. That’s the only way to read books for me, to immediately drop what you dislike and read only what you’re interested in. Well, I’m sure many will disagree with me on that, saying that I should give the, uh, books I’m not interested in a chance, but I’d rather go with my gut and I have no patience for bad writing.

As for my favourites, well, there’s too many, I cannot possibly pick just a few and besides I haven’t read too much, I’ve just recently gotten into reading. But well, I know about some good titles. If you are interested in short stories and essays, I definitely recommend Alice Munro for the former, maybe Lydia Davis too. As for essays, you can never go wrong with Joan Didion or Susan Sontag or John Berger for that matter. Obviously I am leaving out many names, but these are the first off the top of my head. As for Ray Bradbury, he is good, though I’ve just seen a few excerpts from him, never read him, but I plan to in the future.

How I have not posted in here? Hrm. I’ll leave my goodreads here for those of you who want to add me:

My two favorite books are To Kill a Mockingbird and Eleanor & Park.

1 Like