The Chain of the Impaler [Solved]

Let us simplify this even more:

Both the killer and the victim were inside the waiting room when the fatal wound was inflicted on the victim.

Given the odd way the body was found in, that made the most sense from the start.

Could you confirm:

Nobody could have hidden from the police in the courtyard

Or alternatively, the courtyard is counted as a room, so that it can be used with the previous red that stated that nobody could have hidden from the police in any of the rooms.

EDIT: I’d like to generalize the “hiding” red truths a bit, to avoid ambiguities about whether or not someone standing inside actually counts as hiding.

Rather than just hiding, no human was present in the study, hallway, or waiting area from the moment the chain was cut up through when the police’s investigation was completed.

Nobody could have hidden from the police in the courtyard

Courtyard is just outside like the rest, so I can’t really count it as a room though.

Honestly you can just treat hiding and ‘being there without anyone ever learning of it’ as the same thing in this one.
I think I’ve given it before but there you go:
Rather than just hiding, no human was present in the study, hallway, or waiting area from the moment the chain was cut up through when the police’s investigation was completed. (except the two witnesses and the police, naturally. Gotta dodge that logic error.)

If the world doesn’t want to work with your theories

then change the world

This entire story takes place on the Moon. As such, during construction, every room was built as its own seperate unit that was then placed together. Which would mean that every room can very likely be moved should need be. In other words, this is what happened:

The killer is the butler. He killed the victim, locked the door, set the chain and left through the study window, leaving it open. Then, he remotely moved the bathroom room to the side, and in its place put the study. Thus, the door leading to the bathroom led to the study, while the door to the study led to nowhere. Pretending to go into the bathroom, the butler actually went into the study to close the window. After leaving, he activated the remote mechanism to move the rooms back in their proper order.

My evidence? In the scene where the sargeant throws the key to the protagonist, the protagonist uses the term “snatch” instead of “catch”. If he snatched it, it imples he took an object that was relatively slowly to non-moving - which is consistent to a lower gravity.

i’ll also just change the theory to just plain ol switchable rooms if you only deny the part about the moon

1 Like

Imao, this means this gameboard is literally just a “Labyrinth” gameboard! XD

1 Like

worst part is this is as legit of a theory as i can come up with at the moment

and hell i did the ‘change the rooms keep the doors’ trick once myself

Well… it’s definitely not that much of a stretch. Although using specific words like that to clue it would have been pretty brilliant.

The crime scene is located on Earth. The rooms weren’t moved.

1 Like

alright cool

back to crying

y

ACTUALLY WAIT

It’s true there are no accomplices - but you don’t need an accomplice if there are two killers! ‘V’ is a serial killer, therefore ‘the culprit is V’. Therefore, ‘V has killed multiple people’. So, what if ‘V’ IS multiple people himself? What if it’s, say, two? And what if both of these people have killed at least once? If that’s the case, they are both culprits. If they are both culprits helping each other out, then what if I define accomplice as ‘someone who assists the culprit, but has not killed themselves’? And if that’s the case, I propose the following: ‘V’ is the maid and her twin sister! The maid’s sister took her place and thus, the person with the butler at the time the butler was in the bathroom was not ‘the maid’, it was ‘person X’. Therefore, ‘person X’ could’ve gone into the study and locked the window! If you don’t like that, then: while the butler was in the bathroom,
the maid let in her twin sister into the room. While the maid kept watch making sure the butler was still throwing up, the sister went into the study, locked the window, and left the same ways she came in - through the broken door! That’s the meaning of ‘V’! It’s symmetry! Two identical people! Two streams joining at the same source! AND IF YOU DON’T LIKE EVEN THAT, THEN I SAY:
(er, spoilers for Umineko probably to some extent so just don’t open this up m’kay) The maid has a split personality that took over while the butler was in the bathroom, thus she was no longer the maid, and thus able to enter the study and lock the window, switching back after it was done.

Well, noticed that I never said there was only one culprit myself a while back, but figured it probably wouldn’t be needed since there’s only one murder to explain. Alas…

The definition of culprit in this case is ‘the person who killed Dr. Henry Pahmeyer’.
There is only one culprit.
After the chain was broken, absolutely nobody entered the study until the police did.

This is getting confusing but I think that should rule all of that out.

Th…

The other personality is also a police officer…?

2 Likes

No.

Please be so kind to repeat, if at all possible:

‘The chain cannot be set from outside of the room.’

Also, repetition request:

The chain had been set when the maid and butler met at the front door to the waiting area, and remained set until the butler cut the chain in front of the maid, after which they entered the room together.

I know I said I’d be generous, but that one I’m afraid I shouldn’t give, at least not for free. :smirking:

This one’s fine I guess, since it’s fairly obvious how things fall apart if it wasn’t the case.

The chain had been set when the maid and butler met at the front door to the waiting area, and remained set until the butler cut the chain in front of the maid, after which they entered the room together.

The crude spear actually goes through the floor. From the floor below (like basement or something if all of this is ground floor), the culprit took the bottom end of the spear and, with the victim still pierced on it, tilted it just enough to reach the chain and set it.

i dont know anymore okay

I’m trying to think of some Rube Goldberg-esque string trick to set the chain from the outside with string or something, but that’s hard to do without knowing exactly what the chain lock looks like…

Using some method X involving a tool, the butler set the chain from the outside. The tool was such that they could remove and retrieve the evidence of it before cutting the chain, through the crack in the door (say, some string that they could cut and palm). The butler then ran to the bathroom and disposed of the evidence via the toilet.

There are no additional relevant gaps in these rooms except the established doors and windows.

Heey, I said no method X.
Isn’t there a red against using the gap in the door already?
I suppose I’ll just put an end to these devices like this:
The chain can only be set by a human hand directly handling it.

Told you it’s all really simple.

Hmmm, I guess I’ll try something different:

When the butler told the maid he was going to get something to cut the chain, he snuck into the closed room via a window in the study that he left open. He locked it behind him and closed the study door. He cut the chain from the inside and let the maid in, telling her he had broken one of the windows in the study to get in. She never entered the study to verify his story.

Now, now…Only the culprit is allowed to give intentionally inaccurate testimony.

If she knew he cut it from inside and just left that kind of thing stand without clarifying it, I’d certainly consider that misleading on her part.

Besides, I have already confirmed nobody was inside the room when the chain got cut, which would certainly be contradicted if he cut it from inside.

This red is confusing me now - is there a “gap” if the chain hasn’t been set yet? Or did you mean the gap in a locked door? Would it be possible to fit your hand through the “gap” if the door wasn’t locked at all?

There’s still some technicalities around the chain. It’s definitely possible to set/unset a lock like this with some string, but the red about needing a human hand touching it directly only partially denies this - does it count if the person keeps their hand on the chain, but uses the string to do the actual setting? To get us off the chain angle, I’d like a red that’s something like anytime the chain was set or unset, it was solely by a human using their hand, with no tools or tricks involved (cutting the chain of course doesn’t count as “unsetting” it).

EDIT: Alright new theory. Since most of the reds deal specifically with setting the chain anyway.
The culprit is the butler. After killing his employer, he locked every relevant window, left the key inside the closed room, and set the chain from the inside. Then, he used a screwdriver to unscrew the fastener on the door frame side. He then left through that door, and through the gap, screwed the fastener back on. This way, he hasn’t “set” the chain via a trick or tool. He never actually locked the front door, as it’s unlikely he had the strength to bash it open later, but instead lied to the maid about the door being locked.

Depending on the chain lock’s make, it would be pretty feasible to do this: collection-in-door-chain-locks-with-images-of-door-lock-chain-images-picture-are-ideas-door-chain-lock-alternative