Touhou Project Discussion

Touhou is part of the reason I am here tbh. the touhou website/forum I used to go to is the one that got me into vns (umineko/LB!) I don’t play the games anymore, Ufo was the last one I played, I still listen to touhou music and look at touhou fanart fairly often. There might be a day where I play them again, but I am not sure. It feels like I’ve lost so much skill that coming back is harder. Plus my vision isn’t as good anymore…

I got into touhou when I used to play stepmania, it was the time when 9 had been out for awhile and 10 was just coming out. Anyways there was two touhou song in a stepmania song pack I had. So I wondered what it was from, it took some time to figure it out really, it wasn’t that widespread then, (the English community seemed to be still forming.) It was one of the dbu remixes so it made it harder to figure out what it was from. Plus my still lacking Japanese skills where even worse back then.

I have now Normal 1CC’d all mainline Touhou games. I feel accomplished.

…well except for LoLK Legacy Mode. That’s gonna be wonderful. But first things first I still have three Extra stages to clear.

Edit/Update: Wow Reisen is really broken in LoLK. 1CC’d Legacy Mode first try with her.

I am also a Touhou fan myself! Got into it on a forum game based on The World Ends With You, which is kinda strange, I know. My fav character has to be Patchy tho. Or Alice. Or Sanae. UGH SO MANY CHARACTERS. I 1CC’d every game from 6-14 on normal, which is my greatest accomplishment :stuck_out_tongue: plus did the extras of 6-8. But yeah. I am just average.

I’m so glad there’s a thread for Touhou. Interestingly enough I actually got into Touhou through Umineko. See, I couldn’t get tsurupettan our of my head for a while, so I googled where it was from and found a bunch of IOSYS stuff, and eventually the Touhou games themselves.

Despite getting into Touhou a bit late, I’ve managed to most of the games. Even the Pc-98 ones. Because I love them. And because I’m a masochist. :joy: No matter how hard I try to beat them though, I always fail miserably. Of course, I’m bad at bullet hell in general, so this is to be expected. I have yet to play anything beyond UFO yet, but I intend to as soon as I can come up with the time to actually play more Touhou.
My favorite by far is actually Subterranean Animism. I just really like the atmosphere in that one.

My favorite character is probably either Mokou or Alice. That said, my overall favorite is Mima (still waiting her return to Touhou). Either Complete Darkness or Alice in Wonderland are probably my favorite themes.

As for my favorite fan arranges, there’s a guy YouTube by the name of kkcwkoh who just posts piano arranges of Touhou songs.

Seriously, they’re amazing. Give it a listen to. I especially like this arrange of Patchy’s theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3MNK23kjSg

6 Likes

Personally for touhou my favorite games are EoSD and PCB, and my favorite chracters are definitely Sakuya and Yukari. As for fangames, the only ones I’ve really played are the Touhouvania ones, which are excellent in the extreme, though one of my friends is trying to get me to play one by the name of Genius of Sappheiros, does anyone know if its any good?

A long lost update, but by now the only game I haven’t played in the main series is TD.

My favourite ones are now LoLK and SA, and the only one I dislike is UFO, except for Shou battle.

1 Like

Highly Responsive to Prayers is the only real Touhou game, every other one is a shitty genre-shift spin-off.

Whens the REAL Touhou 2 coming out.

pulls out the Mackerel and beats Rabla with it until he is black and blue Do not diss EoSD.

1 Like

Will add that I consider Raiko the most fun extra boss fight.
For the rest… that’s hard to say, too many options…
Clownpiece is definitively the most memorable stage 5 boss tho, or perhaps boss altogether. That will most likely not go away.

Oh and for playable characters I’m an unconditional fan of Marisa, but they’re all pretty fun in their own ways.

Edit: Here is my explanation of the touhou plotlines :

TOUHOU PLOTS
EoSD : A maid wants to take her master out for a walk.
PCB : A ghost wants to know who’s buried in her backyard.
IN : A sadistic doctor is hiding a NEET. And the moon.
MoF : A snake wants fantasy creatures to believe in gods.
SA : A nuclear chicken build an exhaust pipe.
UFO : An UFO revived Jesus who got shipwrecked in a landlocked land.
TD : ??? (didn’t play it)
DDC : A midget leads a rebellion of sentient objects.
LoLK : An american flag scared bunnies.

1 Like

So my backstory with Touhou is a bit weird. I think I first came across videos in 2007 but I was very young there, and having never seen Bullet Hell Shmups and knowing neither enough english nor japanese, I had no idea what was going on. So all the specific terms like “spellcard capture” and the like flew over my head. In retrospect, I think it was a video from Perfect Cherry Blossom. Then fast forward several years and in 2012 I actually knew what Touhou was thanks to some top lists by a Youtuber called Green Scorpion. Then fast forward two more years, now in 2014, and I came across a Let’s Play of Imperishable Nights by a guy called RoahmMythril and that got me hooked. Then I started playing from EoSD onward.

My favorite character overall is Satori, although that’s partly thanks to a fan interpretation seeable in this song:

Favorite in-game theme is currently The Sea where the Home Planet Reflects, also known as LoLK’s stage 6 theme. I’m not that knowledgable on fan arranges though.

Recently, I was banging my head against the second part of Ran’s “O-daishi-sama’s Arcanum” in Shoot the Bullet, although looking at a video, it seems I wasn’t aggressive enough. I am however proud that I cleared the first seven levels of that game. I still have to face the nightmare that is “Seamless Ceiling of Kinkaku-ji” though…

2 Likes

insert obligatory Sakuya plug here

In all seriousness I just rather like her, and while shes oft neglected she has been a playable character. I wish she was in more of the fighters in any relevant sense.

Hopefully with :love: more Sakuya can be seen.

I use to be a huge Touhou fan back in the day, right after 13. Now I’ve slowed down a bit. I still play the fighting game, Touhou Project 12.3 Hisoutensoku though. Probably my fondest memories of Touhou are the fighting games and the music composed by Zun. I wish I could buy a legit copy of his music CDs.

1 Like

I was active on an obscure jrpg forum when EOSD first came out, so when I was young I got to see the ‘birth’ of touhou but then sort of forgot about it for a long time until I started dating someone who was into touhou. Once I realized it primarily consisted of non-fetishized sapphic couples, I was sold forever.

I have one Touhou fig, this Okuu. She’s also my favorite 2hu in general along with Mokou, Parsee, Satori, and Mamizou.

I don’t play the games though, I got into it primarily for the fan content, of which I write sometimes as well.

2 Likes

I’m so hyped for the new fighting game. I love tag team fighting games (HELLO OMK!), and even though LoLK is absolutely cruel, I absolutely love the characters and can’t wait to see who shows up in it from the game! Hecatia could easily go in with her three forms, and it’d be funny to see Junko be Lunarian-racist to the Lunarians.

I wouldn’t say that the ships aren’t fetishized (or even canon unless Tojiko is actually Miko’s wife), because then you’ve been lucky to not see the worst side of the Touhou fandom. Oh, if I could only remove those creepy erotica books and fanart from my memory bank… (At least there are a lot of good non-erotica Touhou books, though, and since I’ve gotten into JoJo, I can appreciate all the 2hu/JoJo crossovers, with the goal being to read the Touhou doujin based on Part 4 of JoJo).

Can you recommend me any touhou/jojo crossover doujins?

Phew, lads, I did it. I finally completed this spell. I only did it like after 1203 Photos. On average I probably died after the 3rd Photo each time, so that’s approximately 400 tries. If you want to see a replay of this card as I cleared it, you can download it here. Obviously, you’ll need Touhou 9.5 Shoot the Bullet to watch it. Just save the file in your replay folder and it should show up un the pages for user replays.

1 Like

I’m trying to remember where I found them, but on some sites like otakurepublic and mandarake, they have Touhou/JoJo doujins that are more Touhou based on JoJo (there’s one series in particular I want to get that’s Part 4 but with Touhous). There’s the obligatory crossover JoJo/Touhou fanart though (especially with Sagume and Yuugi obviously, as well as Sakuya). And oddly, there’s a lot of Madoka Magica/JoJo crossover doujin with a focus on Homura/Jotaro.

Just managed to beat Subterranean Animism Extra without dying once, capturing most spellcards. Probably my biggest Touhou achievement so far. Replay can be viewed here: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=42360

2 Likes

Upcoming Tuesday, in other words April 18th, I plan on doing a marathon stream, beating all Touhou games from 6-15 sans 9 in a row. I plan on starting at 13:30 UTC. Would be cool if some of you could tune in~

My Twitch

Edit: Stream starting in 70 minutes!

5 Likes

Touhou 16 hype, boys and girls!

From the info I got from the Touhou chat I’m in, (who basically translated that post and talked about it), he seems to plan to not make any gimmicks this time; playable characters are going to be Reimu, Marisa, Cirno (with a tan), and Aya. Going by the first screenshot in the post, the new game is going to have Spell Practice again, as well.

From what I hear, twitter is exploding a bit for touhou fans right now.

2 Likes