Umineko Episode 2 Spoiler-Free General

I forgot that I never thought to share these here.

These are a series called Umineko Motion Graphic, a series of animations set to music depicting the events of each of Umineko’s episodes as they were released. This one is episode 2. Make sure you have annotations turned on for translations!

1 Like

More song lyrics! These are from the Episode 2 ED, ‘Melody’ or ‘Senritsu ~Shirabe~’, with lyrics edited by me, adapted from here.

If I close my eyes, I can see light
If I listen closely, I can hear the pulse of the earth

Sweet temptation, my heart is bewildered
The wind tears me apart

When one must vanish, two must vanish
The light of life illuminates a melody

The ephemeral flowers scatter on their own
History is a merry-go-round that continues spinning

Shuddering my tensed body and biting down on my lips
I gaze upon the truth

If I open my eyes, I can see light
If I cover my ears, I can hear pulse of the wind

Sweet temptation, my heart is anxious
The wind surrounds me

When one must vanish, two must vanish
The light of life illuminates a melody

I gaze upon the truth

Even as I reach out my hand to grasp a small light,
As we waltz together, it remains out of reach

I gaze upon the truth

I gaze upon the truth

Me o tojiru to hikari ga mieru
Mimi o sumasu to daichi no toiki

Amami yuuwaku tomadoi no kokoro
Kaze wa watashi o kirisaku

Hitotsu kiereba futatsu kie yuku
Akari wa inochi sasu shirabe

Hana wa mizukara chiri yuku mujou
Rekishi wa mawaru mawaru merii goo rando

Kowabaru karada o yurashite kuchibiru kamishime
Shinjitsu o miru

Me o akeru to hikari ga mieru
Mimi o tozasu to kaze no ibuki

Amami yuuwaku urei no kokoro
Kaze wa watashi o tsutsumikomu

Hitotsu kiereba futatsu kie yuku
Akari wa inochi sasu shirabe

Hana wa tsubomi de kare yuku mujou
Daichi wa mawaru mawaru merii goo rando

Furueru karada o yurashite kuchibiru kamishime
Shinjitsu o miru

Chiisa na akari te o nobashite mo
Tsukamenai anata to watashi no warutsu

Hana wa mizukara chiri yuku mujou
Rekishi wa mawaru mawaru merii goo rando

Kowabaru karada o yurashite kuchibiru kamishime
Shinjitsu o miru

Shinjitsu o miru

1 Like

So first of all, I want to try to figure out how the game even works. First off, we seem to lose when we acknowledge the existence of the witch and magic. It seems reasonable to assume that a possible win condition could be to actually prove that a witch doesn’t exist, however, this is basically impossible and the story goes great lengths to make that clear. However, Beatrice stated that another win condition for us would be to find the hidden gold while she supposedly tries to kill everyone. So it stands to reason what even the hidden gold is. One possible theory would be that at the location of the gold there’s also some kind of paper explaining the history of the mistress Beatrice of which we already heard of in episode 1. Of course, the gold could just be metaphorical and stand for the truth, since if we would find that, then we would no longer base our denial on the possibility of a human committing the crimes, but the certainty that a human has committed the crimes.

As I don’t have a way to conclusively get a one single truth yet though, my only possibility is to be on the defensive and present one possible way how a human could have done it. And here it is important to not make the mistake that Battler made, namely, to use a different analogy, because screw chess, to try to play Advance Wars like Fire Emblem. (for those that don’t understand the reference, both are turn-based strategy games, in the former you do and are required to sacrifce some units, in the latter you don’t.) And that gives me the possibility to also blame one of the 18, although I’ll not refrain to say that a 19th human called Beatrice might have done some murdering as well if it’s useful to me. And with the person I’m going to blame, it really seems like an obvious weak spot in the locked rooms presented, as Bernkastel suggested in the Ura Tea Party. Also I should probably give a name now. So my pick falls on Gohda, although I assume that Rosa is also a wolf if we want to go with this episode’s analogy.

So why Gohda? Simple. While the first twilight could have been committed by anyone really and you guys also showed the possibility of Rosa committing the second and even the murders in the servant room, the ones in Natsuhi’s room are the most difficult to explain. For Natsuhi’s I felt that [quote=“Seraphitic, post:40, topic:27”]
How do Gohda, Shannon and George die? […] murder-suicide
[/quote]
this is the best approach. So here I asked myself. Considering their deaths, which of these could have been a suicide? Shannon is out because stake through head is impossible as suicide I’d say. Gohda and George though are still qualified, and with Gohda’s master key making all the other locked rooms unlocked, my choice went to him. Killing Kanon and Jessica could have very much been him as well, and as a cook he might have enough experience from other animals to prepare the scene of the first twilight as well. However, there are still three problems: How did he kill Kumasawa and Nanjo without Shannon and Genji telling it, how did that one letter end up in the parlor and how were the rest killed after Gohda himself was dead? Solution: it was Rosa’s idea to kill everyone from her family so that she’d inherit everything, she managed to get all the staff on her side, maybe by promising them some of the money, and with this theory, it is likely that she actually did commit the second twilight in the way you suggested, planning to blame everything on Kanon so that she’d still get the money. Oh, and she did not only want to kill her siblings, no, her nephews and niece were also in the way, just to make sure. Of course, with this reasoning, there’s the question “Why kill Nanjo and Kumasawa then?” Well, Nanjo is dangerous as a doctor, it could somehow reveal her scheme to the ones on the island, and Kumasawa probably didn’t let herself be bought and was thus a dangerous variable. Plus, it makes the murders seem senseless. So in the end, it was to her advantage that George wanted to stay with Shannon, as he’s easier killed that way, maybe she even planned that. You could even go as far as say that this is the reason why Shannon really started a relationship with George, just with the complication that she actually fell in love with him, which is why Gohda had to kill her as well in Natsuhi’s room. As to why he killed himself as well, maybe he couldn’t bear the guilt of killing such a nice couple. With my reasoning of all the servants being under kahoots, this might even be the only murders he actually committed himself, the preparing of the first twilight could easily been only passive assistance or even no assistance and a bit of luck on Rosa’s part as well, and with Genji’s knife skills displayed throughout this episode, it is more easily imaginable to see him cutting some throats. Now, the next part: Almost everyone from the family is now dead, but there’s still the annoyance of Battler, something Rosa couldn’t even have planned for. So she improvises, places the letter in the parlor herself, waits for Battler to find it, to then claim that he’s a wolf as well.

Said letter could even be the one from the rose garden, as @Seraphitic showed us that we actually don’t know the contents of it, although it doesn’t really matter in the end.
From now on it goes into pure speculation as to what happened, as we ever only get a fantastical explanation for the final five deaths. Battler is then left in the hands of Genji, who is probably instructed to kill both Kinzo and Battler at that point. Rosa then probably even kills Genji as well, as she is shown to be untrusting at heart in this episode. However, then Maria probaby gets Rosa to realize what terrible things she has done, so in a vain effort to run away from the truth, she grabs her daughter and runs, being chased by the “Goat demons” that are the guilt a human feels. On that way, however, she falls and sprains her ankle, and as it was mentioned in a throwaway line in the first episode, on an island there is no one that can hear you scream, so even a seemingly harmless injury like a sprained ankle can be fatal. Especially if she just blindly ran in one direction and fell at a place that isn’t that frequented, maybe even the forest. Either way, it is easy to assume that Maria tried to foolishly look for help, ventured into the forest since that is where “Beatrice” lives, and thus wasn’t even found by the officials and starved to death.

Okay, my speculation for the final five really sounds more like some amateur fanfiction. Well, it’s still a defense, even if it’s not a good one.

When I was reading this again in your quote, I had the idea that the m, b, t, q stands for million, billion, trillion, and quadrillion respectively, so that it basically indeed shows astronomical odds, something like 1 in 1000000000000. Of course, I could be totally wrong, and apparently you guys spoiled this little tidbit in the podcast, so oh well.

Also, I heard you guys like notes, so I thought I’d post the ones I made during playing as well. http://pastebin.com/K8GkGYWu

EDIT: I got an idea what might be the third twilight in this instance of the game. As we already learned that the twilights can apparently be in different orders, couldn’t it be that the third twilight is when all the siblings acknowledge Beatrice in the chapel? Also hopefully you didn’t get the idea yourself later in the podcast, I just paused that to write this idea down.

2nd EDIT (Kinda annoying when I’m the only one posting, but can’t be helped as I’m probably the only one that’s currently only up to episode 2): Adding a few little points to @Seraphitic’s list of stuff that’s similar or same between episodes, this time though a bit more from the supposedly magic side. I basically looked as to who was injured by the same stake (injured because we don’t know if that actually killed or was done after death). As these each represent one of the deadly sins, this might even be symbolic for some kind of motive, who knows.

Kanon was found with the "Stake of Satan"
Nanjo was found with the "Stake of Belphegor"
Kumasawa was found with the “Stake of Leviathan”

What I find interesting here is that Kumasawa is associated with envy in both episodes, something that I personally didn’t really see in her character. Same, although to a lesser extent, goes for Nanjo being associated with sloth. Kanon being associated with wrath though is pretty obvious in both death scenes.

4 Likes

Ok I’m back, I finally finished episode 2, it only took 5 months instead of over a year :stuck_out_tongue: I almost didn’t do this because I’ve been super tired and don’t really feel like having discussions about this right now but I figured I’d put it out there at least and maybe come back in a day or two if I feel like actually discussing stuff.

Here’s my post on episode 1 if you want to read it, I will probably reference things I said there quite a bit. Minor spoilers for Higurashi for everything up to my thoughts on the second tea party, I will put another warning and won’t go into anything that would completely ruin the game but I will go more into the identity of one of the characters that will definitely reach into spoiler territory.

I definitely was a lot more engaged this time, episode 1 didn’t really draw me in that much until the very end episode 2 didn’t really either until I got to the chapel scene. That scene, which is the first time meta-Battler and Beatrice interact was super fascinating to me and it and their later interactions really sold me on this story.

As for the story itself, it started off pretty slow again, the scenes with Shanon and George weren’t particularly interesting to me and seeing all the character introductions and inheritance arguments play out basically the same initially was a bit frustrating. One thing that worked really well in Higurashi is even though each episode had a long slice of life build-up before the action started, it was very different every time and gave interesting perspective to the characters and the world which was very different from episode to episode.This episode of Umineko was basically the same except with the added bit about Shanon and George at the beginning with was nice but a bit long and frustrating since I wanted to get back to the main story.

The first major divergence with Beatrice showing up in person and talking to people was definitely interesting was a big twist to the game and continued to confirm what I thought after episode 1 that witches do exist in the world of the game. It was really interesting to see the conflict between Beatrice and meta-Battler play out and it gave a better, although still fairly weak-feeling, reason as to why Battler tries to constantly deny Beatrice which was one of the things I was confused about after episode 1. Also it’s really unclear so far what meta-Battler as I’m calling him actually is, whether he’s actually Battler in the world, or if he’s Battler somewhere else observing himself and the others. I’m currently leaning more towards the latter because even when in-universe Battler gives up, it’s unclear whether meta-Battler also gives up since he comes back and denies Beatrice again, once in the in-episode epilogue and again in the first Tea Party. It also felt kinda weird how quickly Battler gave up after the third closed room. The first two he kept going and going trying to find a flaw but the third one it felt like he gave up really quickly which I wonder if a reason will be given later or whether that’s just me overthinking things. Also it was interesting that it was revealed that Kanon and Shanon have magical powers and how the existence of the goat-headed servants of Beatrice were revealed. They explain several things in the first episode but also create a ton of new questions.

Onto the epilogues, oh boy they ramped those up to 11. The in-episode epilogue started off really interesting with the scene in Kinzou study and quickly descended into horrific awfulness with the ‘party’ that was really hard for me to get through. The scene with Rosa and Maria at afterwards was also interesting, I noticed in the results textroll that Maria’s wish was something like “to have a good relationship with her mother” or something (I’m heavily paraphrasing because I wasn’t paying full attention) and I wonder if that scene had anything to do with that or whether the wish hadn’t happened yet. It also seemed to be revealed in that scene that the goat-demons could be killed by mortal weapons but it was pretty vague. The first tea party was also really horrific. The first episode’s from what I remember was a pretty tame discussion between the characters, similar to the things in Higurashi, but this one took a very different turn and I don’t even know what to think about it, it was quite something, it’s unclear to me why Rosa in particular was the only human involved, maybe because she was the last one to accept Beatrice? It’s unclear to me and also unclear whether Beatrice thought she was being nice to Rosa or maliciously torturing her but it doesn’t feel that important.

Warning: Some Higurashi spoilers below (I don’t feel like tagging/not tagging things line by line, most of this isn’t spoilers but there are some someone major spoilers regarding the identity of a character from Higurashi and some spoilery commentary on the world of Higurashi):

[Spoiler](Everything above this was written before I read the second tea party) The second tea party on the other definitely was important and revealed a ton of stuff about the meta narrative. It set up the meta-conflict clearly (at least to me) as a battle of Beatrice against and unnamed witch (I have some theories about who they are abut I’ll get to those in a sec). There are also two other witches involved, Bernkastel (who basically explicitly confirms that she’s Rika from Higurashi, even her music is the exact same music that plays during the final chapter of Higurashi I think) who won a ‘game’ against the other witch, Lambdadelta (I’m fairly sure that’s her name? Also it’s seems to be implied she had some involvement in the events of Higurashi but she never showed up explicitly in it that I remember so it’s unclear what her role was so far.) Lambda seems to be mostly although not entirely on Beatrice’s side and Bern seems to be mostly on the unknown witch’s side. That’s basically how I understood it to have gone down but it set up a lot of mysteries that I’ll be interested to see how continue to play out.

As for the identity of the 4th witch, I have 3 theories, I’ll give them in order from the one I think is least likely to the one I think is most likely. The second theory is that the witch is a spirit who doesn’t have human form in the game which seems unlikely since it goes against how Higurashi worked and also would just be really uninteresting and obvious. My second theory is that it’s Marisa who does constantly refer to herself as a witch but doesn’t appear to have any in-universe powers or any interest in ‘defeating’ Beatrice but it’s possibly just her not revealing herself (at least ‘on camera’) yet and waiting to see how things play out, this could make sense because it’s similar to how Rika was in the first few chapters of Higurashi, but this also feels pretty unlikely. Finally, it could somehow be Battler, this is potentially supported by Battler’s seeming ability to become meta-Battler and talk to Beatrice directly but seems unlikely because the witch is referred to with she/her pronouns and Battler in the game is always referenced, even in the meta sections with he/him, it could be some sort of spirit inhabiting Battler but that seems unlikely too. I don’t honestly think any of these are close to being right, imagine episodes 3 and 4 will give some more clues and episodes 5-8 will start to fully reveal things.[/spoiler]

Anyways, that ended up way longer than my thoughts on episode 1, probably because there was a lot more to work with, in some ways I really like the explicitness of the mysteries compared to Higurashi and the directness of the confrontation so far, but I also really liked the vagueness of Higurashi in a way too. I also feel like a lot of what has happened so far in a distraction from what’s really going on behind the scenes, as with Higurashi and I’m interested to see how things continue to play out, both with the base and meta-narrative of the events of the game, but also with the meta-meta-narrative of the whole exploration of 7th expansion universe as a whole and the interaction between the witches.

I probably wont respond to replies right away but I’ll try to come back and get to them eventually if I have more energy in the future, the best place to reach me and see my (extremely slow and sporadic) progress through episode 3 and beyond (hidden in a bunch of other stuff) is on twitter at Captain__Amber. I’ll probably be back with another post like this in like half a year :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I dove right into this chapter after the first, and whether that was a good idea or not shall be a question I ponder until the end of time. While it lost me toward the end, everything up to that point was intense, thought-provoking, and powerful.

It starts sweet; a look at the budding relationships between Shannon and George, and Kanon and Jessica. I’m a sucker for romance, so I didn’t mind this at all. We get a deeper insight into love, and this is when I began to feel that love was one of the main themes of Umineko. Shannon says at one point, “Knowing love was the same as gaining a soul. …The same as being reborn from furniture into a human.” It really speaks to the power of love and what one will sacrifice for it. This was reinforced as we charge into the opposite end of the spectrum with Jessica and Kanon. Jessica’s love is unrequited by Kanon who only sees himself as furniture. It’s realistic and heartrending to see Jessica rejected and then feel the pangs of jealousy toward her servant, something most of us have felt for others. Shannon’s quote below is probably my favorite moment in the novel so far. I’m sure this would be a plot point further in, and the meat on this hook had me drooling.

We are introduced to the game of chess between Battler and Beatrice, where the core of this chapter lies. I was deeply drawn into it before I even realized it. I found myself pausing at points to think about the answers to the puzzles, and when Battler spoke my thoughts I was elated, like I was sitting in his seat against this irrational creature. Whenever Battler had an answer to Beatrice, whenever he uttered “It’s useless,” I cheered. These scenes were always tense and had me on the edge of my seat. The red truth was a nice twist, as not once in this novel did I think I was going to get any concrete answers. I still probably didn’t. I can’t trust anything.

Then, come the fantasy elements. I didn’t expect them, nor do I have the will or the way to understand them. The sword fight was cool and Shannon’s last stand were cool, though. Kanon showing how utterly badass he was by fighting for Jessica was one of the high points of chapter for me, even if it was in vain. It was said that when Kanon and Jessica fell to the ground, they were said to look like the Gemini constellation, which are two people lying next to each other. I looked into this, and it is associated with the twins of Greek mythology, Castor and Pollux. When Castor died, Pollux shared his immortality with Castor so that the twins may stay together forever. I believe this is analogous to Jessica teaching Kanon his value as a human, in death. Shannon’s last stand with George tore me apart, especially as I saw George getting killed before he could say I love you to Shannon, and yet still I was surprised.

Along with the minor differences in this chapter from the last, like having Rosa instead of Natsuhi alive, I grabbed at a gnawing thought in my head that these gameboards were going to get better and better each time. I believe that Kanon will remember his humanity for the next board, instead of doubting it here. That he will remember the emotions in his heart and the sacrifice Jessica made for him, and that this lesson will uproot from this Earth and soar into the next. Maybe Rudolf or Eva will live alongside Rosa or Natsuhi next time? Maybe Battler will break the eggs of his suspicion toward his family to make the omelette of Beatrice’s demise? I love the idea, and I hope to love the execution.

Could they have hit me harder over the head with this one? Beatrice is obviously lovesick and wants to replace the old and insane Kinzo with the fiery and spirited Battler. :smirking: On a serious note, though, Beatrice is at best amoral, and seems to only do things to alleviate boredom, going so far as to toy with Battler instead of outright destroying him. I’m pretty sure there’s more to her than meets the eye, and my theory is that the chess game between her and Battler are fragments not different worlds but the same world, resurrected over and over again. Witches (or at least Beatrice) can revive humans, so why not fragments? It may all be a test to see for Battler. A test for what, though, I have yet to figure out.

Anyway, everything after this makes my head spin and my throat close, so I have no choice but to read on for more answers. I love Umineko so far. No piece of literature has made me think this much, though the most mysterious stories I’ve read are Lovecraft, so that doesn’t mean much. I’m eager to continue. :cackle:

9 Likes

Wonderful post! I really love that you’re tackling some of the themes that have cropped up in this episode, love is certainly something that the characters discuss a few times.

Did you just… borrow my brain? For a second? This sounds like the kind of thing I would write and I would very much encourage you to look into any other such mythology or literary allusions you come across. Make me proud!

This is the point in the series where a lot of people dropped out because of the glorious fantasy scenes. I’d be interested to see you try to tackle them! Do you think they really happened? Battler has been tasked with denying the witch but is this even possible? Also, maybe the biggest question I have for you right now Do you trust the Red? it’s a pretty big part of the ‘mechanics’ of Beatrice and Battler’s game so I’d be curious to know where you sit on the board.

All in all, a really good post. You seemed to focus a lot on Jessica, Kanon and Beatrice in this post but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on some of the other characters, like Rosa, who defended her daughter Maria to the very end, of Kinzo, who lived this time by virtue of his study, and Gohda, who really is the best character there. :gohda:

3 Likes

Wow, I totally forgot to mention Rosa. Honestly, it’s hard for me to like her, moreso in this episode than in the last. She routinely hits Maria, which is extremely hard to watch, and even though she does feel bad about it she continues to do it, especially as she descends to her (arguably justified) paranoia toward the end. During the end, she chooses to try to escape Rokkenjima with a gold ingot taking priority over her daughter. Now don’t get me wrong, she isn’t unsympathetic, not by a long shot. Being bullied and hit as a child unfortunately causes that behavior to bear fruit as an adult. I can see how motherly she is deep down, and I’m rooting for that part of her to continue surfacing. I know she can be a good person and a good mother, her resisting Beatrice at the end proves that. Until I see her change, however, I have to go with what I know. I expect the same sort of development from all the siblings.

As for Kinzo, his obsession with Beatrice seems kind of depressing here. Beatrice sees him as a sad old man and I can’t help but agree, a little. Problem is, I forgot he was alive half the time. I actually like Gohda, too. He’s vain and a showoff but he’s obviously loyal to the family for what they did for him. Plus, the way he helped Genji against goat Kanon was pretty awesome.

4 Likes

Wonderful post, Zosonte, you definitely seem very enthusiastic approaching Umineko! But, I should ask, do you have any theories at the moment or do you think that the clues that constitute the mystery are still very few? Though you’ve said in earlier posts, or at least so I’ve understood it, that you won’t attempt to solve the mystery, but just watch the events unfold? Well anyways, I am looking forward to them if you have any.

1 Like

I was able to solve the closed rooms up until the servant’s room I believe. Then, I was just floored and couldn’t figure it out anymore. I think I’ll just read on from here, as I have no idea where to go from here.

Crossposting from the Umi LP thread.

The presentation and atmosphere of Episode 2 is incredible. It starts getting really creepy and unsettling for any who oppose her. The multiple Beatrice’s appearing, the loud distorted cackling that keeps looping, it’s as if the game itself is breaking. I love when games pull this kind of thing.

But also, there’s this scene in the middle here with the quiet and melancholic piano melody (forget the name sorry) where Beatrice tells Battler she doesn’t break any promises. All the aggressive energy Beatrice threw at Battler to make him resign is gone, it feels very solemn and detached, like Beatrice’s mood has really changed. It’s a very unique scene compared to all the fighting Beatrice and Battler are usually doing.

And then she fucking loses her shit on Shannon at the end of the chapter, with the screen flashing red and loud cackling looping, really really fast, really bringing us back to that feeling of insanity. It’s as if the music and presentation of the visual novel is a representation of Beatrice’s mindset at any given time.

4 Likes

My friend finished the episode 2… Oh boy… He posted his theory on Reddit.

2 Likes

It seemed on the SA let’s play people didn’t like the pacing of the George/Shanon parts of episode 2, but I think it’s very clever. They’re trying to avoid telling us what’s going to happen next? Will everything reset or will the rest of the story be flashbacks?

People there also said Jessica’s love for Kanon came from nowhere, but I disagree. You could see a lot in episode 1 that she treated Kanon in much the same way as George treated Shanon.

2 Likes

Strange… This seems to be a flashback, but it doesn’t feel like this happened before episode 1? So Beatrice never appeared in front of Shanon in episode 1’s loop? I had thought that Beatrice wasn’t real…

Interesting… I think… Beatrice might actually think of Shannon as a friend. I mean, obviously she’s using and manipulating Shannon, but, they’re sweet.

1 Like

Sorry to interrupt but

References to later events are strictly forbidden, behind spoiler tags or not. I’ll be hiding these posts for now.

1 Like

All good boss; just had to see what the circumstance was here :ryukishi:
If anyone has any concerns about spoilers they might have seen (which was what the aforementioned posts were about) feel free to hit one of the staff or Voyagers up in PMs and see if they can help first.

Fair enough. Thanks.

And wow, Natsuhi is way better at analogies than Beatrice is.

So Rosa didn’t get Maria the Candy in episode 1…

And in this timeline, it looks like Rudolf told Kyrie about the trial.

Kinzo didn’t seem to hate Battler for leaving the register here. I guess that was just him justifying in episode 1. I’d expect Kinzo to respect Battler for going it alone.

Ok, I think I understand now. It’s not a time loop. Not really. It’s like a simulation. Beatrice and Battler are manipulating events to show that there is or isn’t magic. Episode 2 is more like an illusion.

1 Like

mujie could you stop double posting.

If you edit a previous post the thread will also get bumbed up in the activity ranking.

2 Likes

Haha. I’ve been on Reddit so long I forgot you’re not supposed to double post. Thanks.

Oh my god, Rosa knows where to hit her daughter so the bruises don’t show? That’s… Terrifying… How can this be the same Rosa from episode 1? In episode 1, even though she hurt Maria so much, she still seemed to love Maria. In episode 2, she’s terrifying. This other side of her doesn’t seem to care at all…

I hope that in one of the gameboards, she doesn’t abuse Maria… Somehow… Maybe it will be like how every time travel story seems to end. They don’t just change small bits like Shannon’s broach, but they change the big things too… Make it so that maybe Kinzo never got his fortune, and his kids and grandkids had completely different lives.

But no matter how much Rosa’s struggling, she left her daughter for so long in the rose garden, both in episodes 1 and 2… How can she do that? I’ve tried to think about it from her point of view, because Battler seems to respect her, but… Wow. That face is terrifying.

I wonder… If Kyrie and Rudolf were close even before his wife died, might Kyrie be Battler’s real mother?

Maria’s witch mode is a lot less creepy in episode 2. If it’s a self-defense mechanism, I guess that’s why it was creepier in episode 1. She was retreating into that persona in order to protect herself.

That’s another new thing, isn’t it? Before it was just Kinzo’s sickness that caused him to stay in his office (or so his family thought), but now it’s his research too.

Maybe Kyrie will change Rosa for the better. Because Kyrie is just awesome. I feel like Kyrie does know what Rosa is doing, and trying to motivate Rosa to be a better mother. Hmm… Maria didn’t mention the “bad witch” in episode 1 either. Maybe something really did happen to cause Rosa to be much more angry than episode 1?

Why do all the girls only have one tooth?

Battler didn’t seem to be as sleepy in episode 1 either.

Wait… Does Battler remember what happened in episode 1? The “it’s not my turn yet” seemed a bit too meta…

The more I think about it, the more I can see some religious undertones, or I guess more anti-religion. Kind of. Kanon and Shanon being furniture, essentially “martyrs”. They don’t mind sacrificing themselves or other people, if it means reaching the “Golden Land”

Ha. I can’t have been the only one who thought the family were acknowledging George’s marriage, especially since they were in a Church.

Also, if Beatrice is now one of the 19 on the island, I wonder if that means she could become one of the 13 sacrifices…

Ox-man… He feels like Genji…

Eh? No one thinks that Beatrice can take the master key from Kanon’s dead body?

Beatrice’s red truth’s keep contradicting… Everything.

3 Likes

Could you elaborate on what you think is getting contradicted by Beatrice red truth?

At first I was thinking: “This door is the only way in or out” and “There is no way to get in or out other than the door and the windows”

Before I realised it just meant the door is the only way in or out.

Then, “Kanon was killed in this room” Before I thought that there might be a difference between “being killed” and when Kanon died, before I found out he was Goatman in disguise.

The half-red, half-white sentences confused me before I realised Beatrice was doing it on purpose in order to claim Jessica was the culprit. Although why Battler didn’t mention the half-half, I don’t know.

1 Like