Umineko - Erika Character Discussion (Full Series Spoilers)

Erika is one of my favorite characters, but everyone here seems to have already brought up what makes her awesome so I wont go into that.

However what was the one thing she supposedly knew about that Bern and Lambda didn’t? I’m holding off my second read-through until the steam releases get patched but this one detail keeps bugging me. It shouldn’t have been anything about Rokkenjima since Lambda had been the game master. Or was it related to her past somehow? Was she just referring to her relationship hell? I don’t know but it seemed to be something bigger than that…?

Seems like im the only one who hates Erika with a passion hehe. Yeah you got cheated on (or maybe you didnt she doesnt even know she just thinks she is being cheated on), then she gets all bitter and starts beheading people at least in the manga (not sure if she beheaded people in the VN too) just to disporve Battler and prove shes right, i know the people she killed were just pieces but cmon. Just because she suspected she is being cheated on she goes all psycho, compared to Anges pain whose entire family got killed and she got abused and bullied her whole life its nothing and Ange still regained her composure and moved on in the end. However i like her only because she is smart and her deductions were interesting. Thats the only positive thing i find in her. Sorry for my rant :smiley:

1 Like

Unpopular opinion time: While Erika is undoubtedly entertaining, she’s so over-the-top that to me she comes across more as a caricature than a human being. And maybe that’s the point, but that isn’t the sort of character that I personally prefer.

It might have helped if her backstory had been fleshed out more. As it is, her almost complete lack of it, coupled with her name, really make it seem like Bern invented her on the spot.

4 Likes

Seconded. I haven’t finished reading Umineko yet, so my opinion may change after a while but she is very over the top, and while I really like cunning and intelligent characters, Erika is just… well, easily offended and makes others look at her as if she’s superior rather than just letting herself naturally seem superior to them, not to mention she does it in a very annoying way. She has some good points though, such as being a very sharp detective and I really like reading her investigation scenes, they’re pretty interesting. Anyways, I may appreciate her more later but I don’t think I’ll ever come to like her much.

2 Likes

I hate Erika, and that feeling that she was invented on the spot was something I felt too. Having such a key antagonist appear so late in the game and be so freaking annoying, and yet so clearly created to be crushed by Battler makes it feel more like padding than anything else to me.

1 Like

Oddly enough, she wasn’t. An “Erika”-style character was supposed to show up earlier, in EP3, in the scrapped Land of the Golden Witch. The name of that character was Virgilius, although with a slightly different role. He was supposed to be a second detective, with a different perspective from Battler, arguing against his reasoning.
If you want to check this information, go to Virgilia’s page on the umineko wikia, in the trivia section. Or check the “Answer of the Golden Witch”.

If anything, the decision to include Virgilius after all is what might’ve been a shorthanded.

Mind, I agree that Erika appeared too late and added too little to the mystery portion. Aside that I appreciate her as a parody, or deconstruction as UsagiTenpura put it, of the detective character. And her over-the-top offensive behavior also helped slowly shift the perspective of the reader: while Beatrice in EP2 (and the beginning of EP3) is the epitome of the evil witch, Erika is the epitome of the “evil truth/truthseeker” (… I am bad with naming things, you get what I mean).
She just needed to appear earlier. Oh Land of the Golden Witch, you are missed.

… also she reminds me of someone I know personally. Sharp intellect, really good at discussions, but overall doesn’t even care what he is discussing about - only winning the discussion matters. And he’ll go to any lengths for that.

2 Likes

I know this is a little off topic, but I have a lot of thoughts about this personally and I’ve become increasingly convinced of this since reading the episode 8 manga. Do any of you think that Erika is intended as a foil character/shadow archetype for Ange?

Because even outside the basic character and narrative traits that they have in common (both pieces of Bern, witches of truth, witches that doubt magic exist, rival characters to Battler, kinda-detectives, young girls who may have killed themselves) Erika seems to be positioned as a character to show the type of person that Ange could become, if she let her desire for the truth blind her as well. Erika is a character that believes that love blinds people from the truth and needs to be thrown away and that seems to be a point of view Ange is always fighting with herself about. It’s one she rejects at the end of episode 4 but something that she’s always consistently tempted by. I think that Erika’s main position in this series, other than the acting detective in the fifth and sixth games, is as the type of person that Ange could become.

I’ve never played the fighting game, but according to tvtropes, in the ending where Ange and Erika are partners, Erika turns out to have been Ange’s imaginary friend. I don’t think that’s the case in the series itself (episode 6 TIPS pretty much confirm that Erika was a real person), but I think it’s pretty interesting. Do you guys have any thoughts on Erika and Ange?

4 Likes

Guys I think I found Erika’s image song:

As it is, her almost complete lack of it, coupled with her name, really make it seem like Bern invented her on the spot.

Without getting too much into headcanon territory(anyone who’s talked to me on Discord knows she’s one of my favorite characters and am a major Erika apologist), this is the main basis that informs my reading of Erika. It’s implied that blue isn’t her natural hair color, and we also know that Erika-Prime was a girl who fell off the party boat during the storm and (presumably) drowned.

Which is to say, she had no real choice in becoming Bern’s piece(it should be noted from this point we’re speaking strictly from a fantasy perspective, obviously none of this works in a mystery setting). Bern held all the cards–either serve me, or drown. And since we know her hair is likely no actually blue, it’s by no means a stretch to think Bernkastel changed her piece in other ways at all.

Which is to say, I believe the “Furudo Erika” we see in Umineko is a constructed persona by Bernkastel and not representative to who the original “Furudo Erika” was. I won’t go any further because we go into 100% unsupported headcanon territory, but this is how I saw her when I first read through part 5-6, and in a lot of ways it makes her one of the most heartbreaking characters in the entirety of Umineko for me.

5 Likes

Many years ago, when I was an immature high school kid and played Umineko for the first time, I hated Erika with a passion. I really wished she would be crushed like the disgusting, parasitic bug that she was. She was bratty, annoying, and pretty much a Mary Sue.

A couple of years ago I decided to read the Umineko manga and Erika became a sort of paradox for me. I guess I had grown up as a person in the meantime. As a reader, I kept disliking her at first glance. As someone who understands the meaning behind Umineko… I got to appreciate her double role. She was both the caricature of Umineko readers that didn’t care about the heart and the necessary evil for Battler and Ange. The more you learn, the stronger the antagonist you need; I think she arrived at the right time in the whole series. It was the halfway point of Umineko and a pretty decisive moment to turn the chessboard on the overall theme: Without love, it cannot be seen. With love, you see things that aren’t there.

Also, as someone who’s also been writing my own stories for quite a while… I absolutely love Erika’s over the top attitude. She is like Beatrice on steroids. I imagine Ryukishi had immense fun writing her. Not many writers would be able to pull off a character like Erika and get fans divided on whether they absolutely love or absolutely hate her.

5 Likes

While you might be right-and I’m not to deny the possibility that Bern definitely twisted Erika to suit her own needs-pieces still can’t act outside of their original personality. So maybe Erika wasn’t as horrible as she was in-series, but she certainly isn’t an angel.
Though I do wonder if it is possible for her personality to be completely constructed as she died before anyway really got to know her.

1 Like

I thought pieces could act out of character, but they excelled at actions that fit their original personalities or something like that?

I’m not 100% sure, though.

They can act OOC, but they can’t do anything that is 100% impossible for their original character.
Which makes me realize just how messed up this cast is, tbh.

1 Like

You’re correct that pieces can’t do things that they would never do, but I don’t think that really negates what I’m saying. The only piece of information we actually have on Erika pre-series is the discussion between here and Dlanor regarding her ex-boyfriend, which paints an already obsessive, emotiona, and despondent person. It doesn’t seem impossible to me that Bernkastel took those traits, amped them up to the extreme, throw out the more human parts of her and leave the Erika we have now.

3 Likes

Although it’s probably already said in bits and pieces, personally I felt that Erika had been a stand-in for the negative aspects of all the other characters. As we know, in the actual massacre, Erika doesn’t appear at all, further confirming the notion that she’s more of a concept than an actual person in the game.

By stand-in, I of course mean that Erika is kind of like Clair in more ways than one. Well, two, actually. Firstly, she’s, in my opinion, a representation of all of the negative aspects of the Ushiromiya family. Secondly, her death seems very similar to Clair’s first death after being laid to rest by Willard. Of course, this could be entirely coincidental.

I noted something particularly interesting in all the novels featuring her and it was that all of the characters’ negative habits and their mutual dislike was largely reduced when compared to the amount directed towards Erika. In fact, the only people that probably just acknowledged her and little else was Kyrie, and the mansion servants. Notably, Kyrie seemed to be the least volatile in her exchanges with her, whereas Natsuhi was understandably in an opposite position.

It’s possible that Bernkastel created Erika by imparting her negative characteristics as a person (the real Erika being probably dead, sadly), coupled with the mutual dislike and vanity of all the Ushiromiya siblings, barring Eva who probably saw her as a useful tool or a kindred spirit in the most strained manner imaginable. This created a character everyone could direct their hatred towards, and it was a very smart move by Ryukishi07 to introduce the character at that time itself, since we got to see much more of the siblings’ interactions than before, where most of them died by the first Twilight in the Witch version of the events at least. On the other hand, the cousins die early since they were significantly fleshed out already in the first four episodes, and we even get to see conflicts similar to those amongst the siblings between the cousins and Erika.

Furthermore, like I said, it was also such a clever move to introduce the character then and there alone since it completely misdirected the readers’ emotions. It made the readers, at least quite a few based on the posts in this thread, direct all their hatred towards her and in the bargain made the readers forget, if only momentarily, that one of the Ushiromiyas, who by this point in the story have become endeared to the readers, is responsible for the murder of almost all of the Rokkenjima inhabitants. Episodes 5 and 6 were kind-of ‘breaks’ from all the twilights and rather featured hints that touch the ‘heart’ of the mystery of the Rokkenjima murders.

Episode 8 was, in my opinion, made to leave at least some semblance of a happy ending to the story, and given that so many while hating Erika also loved her character, it would have been too bad to single her character out. Not to mention the Battle of the Golden Land was probably one of her most dramatic moments where she even tries to murder Dlanor who probably is her only friend in the world. We may also consider Battler to be somewhat endeared to her by the end of Episode 8 but again, that may just be a method of leaving a happy ending.

I personally believe that Ange just liked Erika’s dialogues in Episode 5 and hence quoted her in the trick ending. A lot of evidence may show her to be a shadow Ange, but Erika is inhumanly dedicated to her craft whereas Ange was after a ‘truth’ that satisfied her, not THE truth which Erika had been unabashedly pursuing since the beginning. Also, the ambition between the two differed: Erika wanted to be the Territory Lord of the fragment whereas I doubt Ange had any inclination other than finding evidence to incriminate Eva. It’s also because of the previous point that Ange perseveres as a Witch of Truth while Erika suffers as one.

Of course, this almost entirely built up upon circumstantial evidence, but to conclude I’d say Erika has to be one of the most pathbreaking detectives in any series I’ve read so far.

5 Likes

So, one interesting thing about her is the mystery of how she came to be at the island to begin with. That is, we know she was on a boat as part of a school trip. We know she went overboard. And we know that when she shows up on the island she washes ashore in her school swimsuit. But the details here are pretty sketchy. I mean, what kind of person is going around in a swimsuit in the middle of the night in stormy weather? How does that happen?

So, maybe she was a jumper? She had clearly just gone through a bad break-up and was not in a good place emotionally. It’s not impossible. But normally someone doing that would leave a note of some sort. I kind of doubt the witch-hunters would overlook that in their rampant clawing into every little thing around Rokkenjima Prime.

But Erika is never really written as a quitter. It seems pretty inconsistent with her personality on the island. Maybe she was bullied into it? If she was swimming in the storm as a ‘test of courage’ or something like that but it went too far?

Or maybe the breakup was even worse than Erika lets on, and it ended with her being thrown from the boat by the guy?

But I don’t think there are many clues to unravel this particular mystery.

As I said before, if we’re going with the canon set of events of Umineko, that means Erika doesn’t appear on the island at all. I agree, her origins in her appearance at Rokkenjima were quite enshrouded in mystery, but I personally think that Hachijo included her in the story mainly for the sake of a role as a detective and nothing more. In a way, this may also support the theory that she was invented on a whim. Her appearance may be considered likened to Bernkastel’s for the same reason: a whim. Her real appearance may be quite different, or maybe it works on the same principle that Natsuhi’s ‘Kinzo’ works on, i.e. assigning a name to something that isn’t what it’s called in actuality.

Hachijo probably wanted a detective that really defied all expectation, and although creating a character that virtually challenged the limits of one’s humanity, and hence assigned the character to Erika. Don’t forget, Erika might have been known as Virgilius if events hadn’t gone down the path it has now.

Even if we consider that Erika by some miracle got on the island, she’d be more likely to land in Kuwadorian than the Ushiromiya Mansion, due to the sea inlet in Kuwadorian. This in turn may have led her to look for means to survive within the mansion before happening upon the secret passage on October 5 and getting caught up in the explosion.

You have a Devil’s Proof regarding the reasons for falling off the cruise. Maybe she was wearing her swimsuit under her regular clothes when she fell. Or maybe someone pushed her. There are endless possibilities for the unknown.

But normally someone doing that would leave a note of some sort.

I’m just here to let you know that that’s not really true. The cop show logic of: “there’s no note, it isn’t a suicide” doesn’t hold up in reality, plenty of people kill themselves without leaving notes.

2 Likes

I think there’s a good chance that Erika killed herself, partically due to a brief scene in the episode 8 manga where manga spoilers: Erika and Ange have a conversation about self-esteem. Ange asks Erika whether she has any worth and Erika laughs hysterically at that. Ange then thinks that “this is another girl who threw her life away to become a witch.”. I think it makes sense, especially based upon her parallels with Ange and Bern’s tendency to take on really vulnerable people.

5 Likes

It’s off-topic compared to the rest of how the thread developed, but Lifeboat’s a really good song for her, no pun intended. (A bit unrelated, but due to a vent video I made, I heavily associate Shine a Light-Reprise with Ange.)