Umineko/Higurashi characters you're most similar to! (Spoilers btw)

I’m really gonna have to go with Kanon.

I wouldn’t call myself furniture, but I guess if I were in the Umineko universe that’s what I would be. I’ve got issues with my body (though not nearly on the same scale), and I commonly feel…just, down. Like I’m not good enough. At the same time, I have a lot of anger towards the people I work for. I’m not a hopeful person like Shannon is about her feelings for George, and I’ve turned people down on the thought that I simply wouldn’t be good enough, nor able to fulfill their expectations, and feeling like I wasn’t deserving of experiencing that feeling. (Which I then was angry at myself for later on, as I wished I hadn’t turned them down.)

Other than Kanon, I would also go with Maria.

In fact, as a child, I was almost exactly the same as she was. I didn’t throw tantrums and I wasn’t into the occult, but I was very much about spirits and constantly daydreaming of an ideal life, separately from the one I lived. I was that nerd that would become so engrossed in something, usually some anime or manga series, that I couldn’t focus on anything else. I always carried tokens or small things that would remind me of those series, and thus, the world I wish I could be a part of. The life I wished so much that I could live.

Even as an adult, I experience this with Umineko. It’s my ideal world. Haha.
Even if it were to kill me, or even if I’d get caught up in some murder, I’d jump at the opportunity to leave for Rokkenjima, and I actually fantasize about it way more than I probably should.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s a very interesting topic. I think I’m most lika Rika and Rena. That’s because even in the worst situations, I try to be hopefull and I would do everything to help my friends and to see them happy

I know I have picture of Kinzo as my profile pic. But I feel I relate to Rika the most.

I can brighten and cheer up almost anyone with just my general antics. But I also have a jaded side of myself that is burdened with knowing about some the darkness that lies out there.

3 Likes

I’m basically Keiichi. A giant goof 90% of the time but with super cool best friends I love to hang out with. I can’t quite swing a bat like him though. I also highly value a trusting relationship more than anything, if a friend breaks my confidence i have difficulty continuing that friendship even if I’ve known them for years.

In Higurashi, I think I’m like Rika in regards of her cunning personality and how she can make a plan behind that face. I’m not cute or innocent per se, but people don’t see me as someone so cunning, while in reality I am. There’s also the fact that despite how pessimistic I am, I actually still try to hope and look forward to the future, even if the floor below me is crumbling.

In Umineko, I think I’m like Ange, with some of Erika’s cruelty and outlook mixed in and Bernkastel’s edginess when she’s…you know. Willard also shares some of my views. The way I embrace my jealousy is like Kyrie, I guess…hmm.

2 Likes

Ange

Depressed, traumatized, passively suicidal*, desperately wants to believe magic is REAL.

• Note: im not in any danger so pls dw !!
1 Like

I relate the most to Sayo and Shion.

(Umineko EP 8 spoilers) Sayo because of all her self-doubt and constant worry of abandonment, but then also sometimes feeling like she deserves to be abandoned. Whenever she worries about George or Jessica or Battler hating her, or seemingly overreacts to something that would be small to most people, I resonate with her a lot. Also with her always being told that she spaces out too much or can’t do things right. When it comes to Sayo, Ryukishi has managed to put into words a lot of emotions and fears that I myself was never able to describe. Besides that, I too have found refuge in believing in things like the Occult.

(Meakashi-hen spoilers) Shion because of her awkward way of expressing herself. She wants people’s attention and she wants to help people, but she’s always either too frank, too joking, or too emotional for people to understand her properly. Whenever it shows her connecting with the other club members, a part of my heart is eased. Also, if I had a younger sister, I would definitely tease her in the same way Shion does. I mean, I already kinda do that to my younger friends.

4 Likes

Willard is my most similar character. Extremely cautious in what I say in terms due to how blatantly logical I can be.
His belief to never ignore the heart is something I can get behind. He’s also very serious, which makes him seem as someone who is detached, but he cares about Lion, as he wants to protect Lion’s miraculous possibility.

6 Likes

I’ve thought about this for a while and I think the reason I’m so defensive of Maria is that I was very much like her as a child.

Not exactly like her, but I definitely had some…social development issues. I couldn’t stand loud noises, was pretty agoraphobic, especially in middle school, had trouble with some people touching me, was very loud, threw fits and cried easily, and couldn’t understand sarcasm or whether people were joking or not. I was very literally minded and, while I was very friendly, I had trouble keeping friends, so a lot of Maria’s behavior reminds me of how I was as a kid, especially with her obsessive interests: I got overly invested in things like dinosaurs and fairies and specific books and I straight up believed in Santa Claus until I was in fourth grade and my parents had to straight up tell me he wasn’t real.

Adult!me–doesn’t have as much in common with her. I still get overly invested in things and I’m pretty sensitive, but a lot of that stuff faded over time, but a lot of Maria’s behavior reminds me of my own.

As for myself now: I’m not so certain. I have some personality traits in common with Mion. I like to take control of things and I love games. So, I suppose that works.

9 Likes

I understand what you mean!!!

I was also a lot like Maria as a kid. Unfortunately, we had very similar experiences regarding our mothers (and being abused and isolated bc of odd interests… which did include dinosaurs by the way!!!). It was really rough playing through episode 2 even though I don’t really consider Maria a favorite.

3 Likes

While searching for another thread I found this one and I am very intrigued by it and everyone’s answer. I remember there was one a similar one at the westeros board and there I saw myself as a cross of Quentyn Martell and Stannis Baratheon…

Let’s see… it is a difficult question… I know myself very well, I tend to constantly question my behavior and trace my quirks back to their roots, so I can’t see any character who fits me completely.
My first thought actually went to Ange. I can relate a lot to her when it comes to being a shunned outsider who grew very cynical because of that. I also (used to) share her dry humor (I somehow grew out of it during my college years, though when I review stories I still tend to criticize them very mockingly). Well… then there is her hobby being writing, which I also share. But I don’t share her survivor guilt obviously and I am not much of a pessimist, just a very cynical idealist who knows that the world is shitty, but thinks that this is no reason to stop fighting to make it better. Does that make me a bit of Keiichi? Maybe…

Though among the Higurashi cast I can relate better to Satoshi, being a quiet and unremarkable person who grew up as an outcast in a tiny shithole village with a home situation that is just as messed up. Even though mine is obviously nowhere near as bad, I must admit that the lengths he went to protect his sister from their aunt are something I can respect, which does frighten me a little… Admittedly, I am however quite envious that he had friends who were brave enough to make school a safe zone against the ostracism. I personally witnessed the polar opposite of that, with ‘friends’ being worn down by the constant attacks until they ultimately turned against me for fear of becoming outcasts themselves. I have to assume only Mion’s social standing, integrity and charisma prevented that from happening. That’s why I can relate more to Ange in regards to not trusting anybody at all…

Of course, being this messed up, I can somwhat relate to Kanon when it comes to the lack of self-worth and a tendency to now push people away out of fear of getting hurt again. Even in more spoilery ways, I guess…given that while I am a wreck when it comes to social interactions, I do have my ‘professional self’ that is somewhat different from my insecure real self and that I use to make school a welcoming and healthy place for my students. It does help that my subjects are those I have the most fun with, which I guess is something that also connects me with Jessica, though only in the way she developed her “Jessy” image.

2 Likes

I’m mostly like Battler. I relate to his incompetence.

3 Likes

I am most like Hideyoshi, my cheerful nature soothes tensions and I am told I have magic hands. Also a lot like Erika, polite and refine public image, deep interest in mysteries, intelligent but also vindictive, must always be right, serious inferiority complex, overlooks that one detail that costs the match.

1 Like

My friends always see me as a Rika/Bern type of person since I usually act cheery and cute but sometimes become awfully creepy. I also hate boredom. However, when it comes to solving puzzles I always try my best to be polite and keep my cool like Willard. A pretty weird combination. :bern:

I’ve been told I’m similar to Battler, being argumentative, hard-headed, and not willing to back down from my position easily.