Umineko - Kumasawa Character Discussion (Spoiler-Free)

Discussion topic for Chiyo Kumasawa, servant of the Ushiromiya family.

Please spoiler tag any reference to events from beyond the question arcs and any major question arc spoilers with the [spoiler] tag, providing adequate context in parenthesis.

There’s the vague impression that the second generation Ushiromiyas dislike Kumasawa in the first episode. Rudolf’s first words upon seeing her after a year are to remind her that she doesn’t have long left to live, and Eva’s bite about her lumbago comes across as cruel rather than playful. Perhaps one can see why her personality can be disagreeable- She’s a gossip, she eavesdrops, asks unwanted personal questions, and loves telling stories that’ll make the listener ill at ease.

That said, when she jokes around on the island, everyone laughs. It strikes one as… Awfully two-faced. (Not on Kumasawa’s side of course.)

2 Likes

Yeah I did find it interesting that the family generally don’t seem that nice to her. Maybe the siblings have traumatic pasts with her :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently in the middle of Ep2, and its really begun to strike me how often we see Kumasawa, halfway off the screen, thinking to herself, “Ah, poor ___. The only thing I can do for them is watch from the shadows.”

Originally I just thought it was like “Oh, she knows she’s just a low-rank servant, so she knows its not her place to do anything but feel pity from the sidelines.” But she says it so often… its almost like she knows something else. Something that most of the characters don’t know…

I dont know, it just strikes me as odd how often we switch to her perspective for the sole reason of hearing her pitying another character. She really seems like just a feeble old woman, but there has also been a point made to tell of how crafty she can be…

1 Like

Or, as with how it was subverted with Gohda telling her to stop slacking after her bout of ‘pitying’ him, maybe it’s just a running gag meant to illustrate her laziness / lack of courage to step up to help people in need :stuck_out_tongue: