What kind of visual novels most interest you?

My experience with visual novels is, alas, rather meager. I’ve only really dedicated myself to one, while just dabbling amongst others like Umineko and Higurashi. That said, I’ve read a lot into Umineko’s mangas, since it saves a lot more time than the VN, and I’m not forced to conform to the reading speed and comprehension speed the game assumes you to have. I guess that’s my only nitpick I have.

That said, despite the severe conformation that the game offers, Phoenix Wright is one of the few VN’s I’ve actually stuck with, and it was also my first. I got into Higurashi afterwards, and somehow felt robbed of the player interaction due to predisposition about how VN’s work. That said, I guess my favourite type of novel is interactive visual novels, since they essentially function as what they’re marketed as: games. On the other hand, had I not been predisposed about Higurashi from the type of games it hailed from, I perhaps would not have spent the entire game waiting for interaction. Don’t take me wrong here, I’m not undermining Higurashi by saying this, it’s just that I find Higurashi to be more of a ‘book’ than ‘game’, so had I read it as a ‘book’, I probably would have enjoyed it more than I did the first time. But as they say, the first time comes only once.

Sounds a bit stupid, but anything that’s truly amazing. I’m open to anything that has the potential to affect my life in at least a small way and bring me a lot of happiness - that usually happens with great characters and powerful messages. Conversely, if a VN is unlikely to contribute much to my life emotionally, I won’t waste my time with it. Unlike other people, if I give a work my time, I’m hoping for a lot out of it - I’m not a casual consumer, you might say. I guess drama might fit well as my favourite genre, but I was interested in psychological horror back when I first checked Higurashi out and still love anything involving murder mysteries. Something I also find with VNs is that they can be quite experimental both with and beyond writing - for example, I recently played VA-11 HALL-A which was quite unlike anything I’d ever experienced. I love VNs because I feel like the medium is littered with interesting stuff like that that pushes boundaries in one way or another, and that’s something I’m always looking out for.

2 Likes