A Seasoned Veteran and a Sherlock-in-Training Try to Make Sense of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

Oh my god that’s beautiful.

NO IT ISNT
STOP ENCOURAGING HIM

3 Likes

Problem, King? :cackle:

IT‘S PAAFEKUTO!!! KYAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

You must admit, now Battler’s theory on Episode 2 about the first twilight murders makes all sense. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

My eyes need to be cleansed

2 Likes

This day I come bearing something special.

TWO VIDEOS :ryukishi:

Recap 1 is our recap from the day after we finished reading episode 1, so you get to hear me being outrageously lost

Recap 2 is from this past week after we finished editing. Despite warnings in the second one, we actually don’t touch directly on any spoilers so it’s relatively safe to watch both of them, if you are experiencing this for the first time.

7 Likes

Wow what a great couple of episodes.

Whole Series Spoilers: Alright this was fun. Getting to hear Felix struggle through the twilights was pretty entertaining for me, and somehow he arrives at something that makes half sense. I’m glad he picked up on Kanon’s suspiciousness, when I went through for the first time i suspected him myself, though primarily because the narration is designed to give you the impression he’s a hero, which as we’ll find out for certain later is all under ‘Beatrice’s’ control. Going through the tea party as well I loved how well the narration hinted at the unreliable narrator that is present through all of Ep1, Maria is wise and battler is an idiot. He foolishly rips everything apart and definitely shouldn’t question ANYTHING THAT HE IS SHOWN
ahem
Felix rests on a Rosa culprit theory by the end, something which is supported by Ep2 but flat out denied by Ep3, which is neat. What makes me curious is why he suspected Rudolf but not Kyrie as a dirty body-double-having accomplice. What makes one of those two more suspicious over the other? They’re both incredibly suspicious!. Speaking of the first twilight, he fell into the exact same trap that I did of suspecting literally everyone but Shannon (except Gohda but he can do no wrong and is a beautiful human being) and I think this is mainly because of the garden shed scene where the narration’s spotlight is on George and his pain and not on Hideyoshi, you know, the accomplice. The way that Hideyoshi acts in that scene is super interesting, portraying the concerned authority figure looking after everyone while ‘knowing’ the whole thing is setup. I wonder what it would have taken for George’s parents to completely break character in that scene and reprimand George for his engagement.
I’ve gone a little out of order here with the flow of the video but hey, I had to chuckle a little bit at Felix’s criticism of ‘fourth wall breaking’ because a) the characters are talking to Battler and not the reader in the story and b) from reading the whole story we know that this whole tale was written up to be a message to Tohya, I wonder if the words spoken to Battler about getting up and fighting are in fact directed at Tohya. Is this a fourth wall break inside a story inside another fourth wall break? Food for thought.
If i had to criticize any part of Felix’s reasoning it would be his whole “they knew about the plot and were killed to silence it” reasoning. It’s on point for Eva and Hideyoshi but he mostly uses it to handwave Natsuhi’s actions which I felt was a little unfair to her. After Ep5 I just can’t handle anyone wanting to pin the blame on poor sweet blameless Natsuhi <3 and it means it’s going to take Felix a much longer time to decipher motivation for accomplices to kill others on the island if he keeps thinking this way.
As I’m sure we’ve established by now my relationship to Felix is basically as the Beatrice to his Battler and by no means do i want him to fail at discovering the heart of the mystery, i just hope he can truly understand the characters by the end of it all.
Especially Kairee. Because Kairee is the genius waifu who fires super laserbeams from her eyes that we all need <3

Nope. Don’t have a lot to say about either of these.

6 Likes

Man, I think I need some glasses, all the text in your post is blurry :thinking: :ryukishi:

7 Likes

Golly gee I sure hope your eyes are okay. :ryukishi:

1 Like

Yea this whole “readthrough” thing might be a bit short lived if I can’t even read a simple forum post.

2 Likes

So now I just need to take an entire day to catch up with all of this. Mostly because I want to see the ‘Kairee’ episode.

3 Likes

I hear some people like to fall asleep to our voices, I can’t say I’m not flattered if you’d like to take that route to catch up. :winking:

2 Likes

If you click on the post, it is not so blurry anymore, in many, many contexts. Please do click on it, Jokrono, do it and spoil yourself, I know you are curious. Even Magus wants you to be spoiled, why ever would he have posted his thoughts here, rather than the share your friends’ theories who are new to Umineko thread, which you wouldn’t ever see, since there are spoilers there? :cackle:

On a more serious note, I do find the theories Magus says you’ve come up with interesting, and I do look forward to you posting them in full on the spoiler-free threads.

2 Likes

Spoilers are like witches, they don’t exist :wahaha:

I really should get around to posting my theories in the spoiler free threads but I’m taking so much time to edit one particular video at the moment that I keep neglecting to do so. I’ll try make sure I get that done before we record episode 4.

9 Likes

Hahaha :cackle:, Don’t be so confident that witches don’t exist. After all, things will get much crazier from now on.

4 Likes

Ok I’m all caught up with these videos, I’ve been listening to these while working and oh my god, this was a ride, I’m loving this.

I can’t wait for the next few episodes, this is such a good way for me to reread umineko without reading it myself and/or understanding japanese, plus multitasking~ :sneaky:

4 Likes

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! It’s been a blast for me experiencing the story for a second time too, I’m picking up on a lot more than i did the first time. We talk about this a bit in our second Ep1 recap video but it’s super helpful for our detective work to go through the older episodes while experiencing the next one. I hope to have you along for the rest of this wild ride :joyful:

5 Likes

Oh goodness, this one was quite a venture to upload. After hours of technical difficulties and Australian upload speeds; it’s here! The premiere of our Episode 2 playthrough!

This one’s a long one, and it was really hilarious in editing to see how utterly confused I was, but also (ep 3 spoiler?) how quickly I seemed to guess at the unreliable narrator :ryukishi:

Also for this episode I’ve tried some new audio processing which makes it a lot more consistent in volume than episode 1 was; let me know if you like the new way or the old way better!

9 Likes

We were sabotaged by Witches. :cackle:

5 Likes

I’m excited to see how you two handle Turn! I love listening to this as a refresher on the Question Arcs

2 Likes