A Seasoned Veteran and a Sherlock-in-Training Try to Make Sense of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

Episode 2 part 2 is now available for your viewing pleasure. Sooooo much wonderful Beatrice for me to play <3

After the brutal finale of Ep1 it feels a little strange to slow it down so much. The opening of Ep2 is all about the lovers on the island, the ones that aren’t married anyway. Shannon and George. Kanon and Jessica. Beatrice and Kinzo? (That one seems a bit one-sided if you ask me) I really like that we get character development even in the midst of brutal Witch murders, and after all:

“Without love it cannot be ‘seen’”

Perhaps with love Shannon could have seen that pillow flying towards her face. :cackle:

11 Likes

Super interesting to me to see some elaboration on these characters and their romantic interests this time. When we recorded this I’d nearly forgotten the mention that Jessica liked Kanon from episode 1. We seem to be witnessing a lot of parallels in the romantic struggles of all the couples this episode which really opens up the window for potential motives :ryukishi:

This part of the mystery was really weird to me because we are just shown the witch. I was pretty solid at the end of the 1st tea party that magic needed to be false, so it quickly became obvious to me that what we were shown had to be false for that theory to be true, but then the question is why we were shown these things. I don’t think I ever quite figured that out in episode 2 but I think I’m getting there now at the beginning of recording episode 4. You’ll all just all have to keep watching :ryukishi:

4 Likes

Okaaaayy so here’s some commentary for the past two parts of this, since I missed the last one.

EP 2, part 1

“So I bought this pipe”-- I greatly admire Ben’s dedication.

“YOUCLICKEDONEPISODEONEYOUFFU-AAAAGHJ…. Youuu dumbass,”
“oOhHIT’S SO PRETTY SBSHJBDHJDS”
Lots of fun Ben noises happening from the get-go.

I love how disillusioned we’re getting with George in the first bit.

EP 7 spoilers: I really love how Felix is making connections between what Shannon is saying and Beatrice.

You two have such a great, charming back-and-forth going and it’s so entertaining.

EP 7 spoilers: Interesting how Shannon says in the beginning, “No matter how blue the sea is at work, it might as well be grey to me”, and then Kanon makes the exact same analogy later. Every line is so important

My lord this is reminding me of how much I dislike George. I apologize for commenting based on such a major bias but like… damn.
Good thing Shannon’s there to casually roast him.

EP 4 spoilers, but be warned that the amount spoiled may vary depending on how perceptive the reader has been and how much they wanna read into it: I find it really, really nice that there’s this whole scene where Shannon insists their relationship was caused by magic, and George eventually agrees and says “yeah it was magic”. Like… I dunno… Maybe that’s sorta supposed to be a hint towards Beato’s actual thought process, y’know? She wants Battler to see things the same pretty way as she does so that she can share those feelings with him, leading up to her very unfortunate behavior in EP 3.

EP 7 spoilers: Okay so the mirror scene pretty much just gives us the main answer. “The virtuous part of me fought with the part of me that sided with the witch”. Mhm. And y’know what that witch supposedly did? Mass murder.

EP 7 spoilers: She says “I’ve kept my promise, now it’s your turn to keep yours” twice… Basically Ryukishi07 saying “Guys, maybe pay a bit of attention to this line, it MIIGHT be important”.

THAT EPIC TRANSITION INTO THE OPENING. SO MUCH HYPE.

Eva and Jessica bonding is the cutest thing ever oh my goodness.
AWWE Shannon wants to comfort Jessica but she can’t because of her job I’m gonna cry, poor thing.

EP 7 spoilers: Umineko tends to treat “reapers” as people like Bernkastel and Erika who destroy fantasy and rip out the story’s guts. In that case, could “the reaper of stress” mean that, because Sayo’s under so much pressure, she finds it more and more difficult to keep up the happy, cutesy illusion that is “Shannon” and therefore turns back into the tense, anxious person she truly is? I mean, it’s probably just a coincidence, but it works oddly well

Shannon’s narration never fails to make me sad…

EP 7 spoilers: Kanon’s appearance in this part is another example of Ryukishi basically just handing us answers.

Felix whimpering in response to Beatrice is the most wonderful sound.
Ben’s Beatrice has improved so amazingly since last time and I’m so proud and happy and I love this.
I adore the way he says the word “love” like it’s some sort of curse word.

EP 2, part 2

Felix’s stuttering is so adorable.
“Is it the way I talk after all?” No, Jessica, you are the most beautiful Japanese teenage girl ever to speak.

Beato is so cute. My heart is melting.
I know she probably doesn’t appear that way to Felix at this point, but I really just wanna cuddle her~.
SHE’S. SO. CUTE. <3

EP 7 spoilers: Hearing Beato talk about Kinzo makes me incredibly upset… god

So. Cute. Aaaaaah~

EP 7 spoilers: Aaaand Beato also describes the ocean as being grey. The trinity is completed!

KRAUSS TALKING TO SHANNON SO NICELY IS AN ABSOLUTE BLESSING.

I also deeply wish to cuddle the furniture™. <3

“Without love, it cannot be seen”, she says to Kinzo… That certainly puts a sort of spin on his ranting thus far, I think.

4 Likes

Heh, these look like the kind of notes I took on my first read through, I like it!

On your notes on George… yeah, on my first read i kinda liked him. I liked that he’s got good intuition and is able to spin social situations in order to keep the peace, something he does with maria often. What can I say I like smart characters. After going back through however I’m finding more and more things to dislike about him, especially the way he orders Shannon around. They are very cute together though. Cake/10 for the opening of Ep2.

Similar Ep7 spoilers: Hoo boy. I really channeled my future-knowledge during Ep2, knowing how Beatrice feels about Kinzo, and Battler, and ‘love’ really puts the entire opening into a completely different perspective. The entire talk about the colour of the sea is about the subjectivity of truth, it is an excellent example of how Sayo’s different personalities ‘play out’ her inner turmoil through the story they’re writing, and of course we’re getting foreshadowing for Okonogi’s talk in Ep4 where we’re encouraged to look at the tale from a different perspective, from one where the culprit is just as much a victim as everyone else (which in Prime turns out to be the case). I really hurt during these scenes where Beatrice talks about how Kinzo trapped her with magic, really makes me think about how these tales ‘colour’ the truth. The tales that Beatrice tells are just as much a coping mechanism for herself as they are a way to shield the truth from Battler until he can figure it all out himself.

I spent many a morning in the shower perfecting my Beatrice voice. A combination of determination, a penchant for insanely over-the-top characters and the guide by Ani Ga in this video’s comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VUJfeXeIqc all contributing to make one beautiful emotional rollercoaster of a character. Beatrice is legitimately my favorite character in anything ever and I want to live up to everyone’s expectations in my portrayal of her.

I feel like I would give that spoiler section there the Ep4 episode tag, though as you say the level of spoilers there depends on how much a person is able to read into things.

3 Likes

I feel like George is just waaay too comfortable with the idea of Shannon calling herself furniture…
Spoilers for a bit later in EP 2: Which is especially jarring next to Jessica’s “You’re a human being and you deserve to be in control of your own future!” treatment of Kanon.

Aaand cue that smooth transition into EP 7 spoilers:

It’s pretty sad when you realize that neither of their viewpoints can really stand to help Sayo as she is now. Jessica’s words won’t reach her and only seem to make her sadder, and George’s only further enable her self-derisive viewpoint…
Beato is portrayed as such a horrendous villain this time around, but looking back, pretty much everything she says is actually just really sad and lonely. Even in the beginning, she talks about how she’s never appreciated, how “a world without love isn’t a complete one”, how she feels trapped on the island by the weight of Kinzo’s sins… All her jeers towards Shannon’s idealization of romance and Kanon’s hesitation (especially during that one scene with Natsuhi’s mirror), while at first seeming cruel, are really just so incredibly painful. Because the only thing that’ll satisfy her now is her bet as to whether or not the “ritual” is completed. On the reread, the series feels more like a diary or a cry for help than a murder plot, and that’s especially the case for EP 2

I really look forward to your portrayals of certain future scenes, cacklecackle. It can only get better from here~.
She really is such a wonderful character. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

I think I’ll give it an EP 4 tag with a bit of warning.

6 Likes

All of these episode 7 spoilers! My goodness what secrets lie in the opening of episode 2? I think @MagusVerborum is well aware of my thought process at this point :cackle:

The following is all theories but I’ve spoiler tagged it anyway since it contains ep 3/4 stuff, and just in case I am right :ryukishi:

Since the bamboozle that was the end of ep3, I’ve started to think there might be one person masquerading as two on the island, thus the red that there are no more than 18 people. After a couple of very late night sessions of re-watching episode 1 and 2’s footage, I’ve noticed that at no point Shannon and Kanon are ever together in the same room as Battler, which led me to believe that they are the same person. Having edited the beginning of episode 2, these two chapters are soaked in evidence. Shannon “fighting against the side of herself” that supports the witch, the identical marks on their hands, the fact that only they can talk with the witch, and my favourite “Shannon felt somehow she had to do it for her own sake”. We cover all of this in more detail later in the playthrough, but if this is correct and you’re marking EPISODE 7 SPOILERS, I’m feeling pretty chuffed right now :ryukishi:

I’m in the middle of editing part 3 right now, so maybe all of this confidence will be suddenly shattered as I do so, who knows. I’m sure looking forward to it!

7 Likes

We’ve got a slightly earlier video this week. What could it all mean??? You’ll just have to stay tuned to find out :cackle:

Is it just me or does it look like Kanon is about ready to Naruto-run across campus? Gee I hope he doesn’t scrape his knee doing that :blushing:

8 Likes

I absolutely love love love how deeply you’re thinking about things.

Of course, to put it as Ben would, I can neither confirm nor deny any of what you’re saying. But it is an interesting theory, and I deeply look forward to seeing exactly down what path of thought it might lead you…

For now, I’m happy the amount of spoilers is giving you confidence. Confidence is what makes things fun, for both the player and the observer.

All of this speculation is just so satisfying to a long-time fan~.

1 Like

You know, I hadn’t actually thought about the fact it isn’t our regular upload today. Early it is! Also uploading right now is at last my epitaph theory from during episode 3, so it’s content, content, content this week :ryukishi:

1 Like

The gauntlet has been thrown, the bet has been made, the roulette has been set on fire and this fool @Jokrono seeks to challenge Beatrice from beyond the gameboard! cacklecacklecackle He has attempted a feat no mere human could accomplish… the solving of the epitaph! Let’s see what he’s cooked up together shall we? :cackle:

6 Likes

All I will tell you is that I remember Kari telling me the theory you said about the servants was an old theory people said a lot between episode 4 and 5’s releases and lots of people agreed with it then. So make of that what you will.

1 Like

@Jokrono I love your theories so much.

2 Likes

Thank you so much guys :smiley:
I put a lot of time in to all this so it’s great to see people engaging with it. I’m just really looking forward to seeing how the story pokes holes in the things I’m saying. I can certainly see how my theories at the end of episode 1 really had no evidence, but for others I had, it seems to stack up. I wonder how this rendition of my thoughts will fare against the game board as we go on :ryukishi:

10 Likes

It’s like Groundhog Day all over again! What are we doing at the airport?

10 Likes

Ahhh… That meta scene with Battler and Beatrice with fucking Answer playing in the background :midori:

Also, Battler doing that Phoenix Wright finger point was both incredibly cheesy and incredibly badass.

4 Likes

At this point I basically live for the Phoenix Wright point from Battler. An episode isn’t finished until we’ve had one.

8 Likes

It is your reaction to things like this, where I can’t wait to see your reaction to

Episode 2 spoilers The introduction of the red truth and how Umineko’s metaworld narrative plays

5 Likes

It’s that time of the week!
Latest video is up, and we’re back on the island with the family. I’m starting to think they all might survive this time guys :ryukishi:

10 Likes

Miraculously everyone still lives, and Battler decides to take a quick nap. Felix is upset by the word ‘turn’ so try not to say it too much :ryukishi:

6 Likes

The reason why Kairee Kyrie pressed her finger against her forehead was to signal the guys in the back to turn on her thinking music. :smug:

6 Likes