A Seasoned Veteran and a Sherlock-in-Training Try to Make Sense of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

I feel like George is just waaay too comfortable with the idea of Shannon calling herself furniture…
Spoilers for a bit later in EP 2: Which is especially jarring next to Jessica’s “You’re a human being and you deserve to be in control of your own future!” treatment of Kanon.

Aaand cue that smooth transition into EP 7 spoilers:

It’s pretty sad when you realize that neither of their viewpoints can really stand to help Sayo as she is now. Jessica’s words won’t reach her and only seem to make her sadder, and George’s only further enable her self-derisive viewpoint…
Beato is portrayed as such a horrendous villain this time around, but looking back, pretty much everything she says is actually just really sad and lonely. Even in the beginning, she talks about how she’s never appreciated, how “a world without love isn’t a complete one”, how she feels trapped on the island by the weight of Kinzo’s sins… All her jeers towards Shannon’s idealization of romance and Kanon’s hesitation (especially during that one scene with Natsuhi’s mirror), while at first seeming cruel, are really just so incredibly painful. Because the only thing that’ll satisfy her now is her bet as to whether or not the “ritual” is completed. On the reread, the series feels more like a diary or a cry for help than a murder plot, and that’s especially the case for EP 2

I really look forward to your portrayals of certain future scenes, cacklecackle. It can only get better from here~.
She really is such a wonderful character. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

I think I’ll give it an EP 4 tag with a bit of warning.

6 Likes

All of these episode 7 spoilers! My goodness what secrets lie in the opening of episode 2? I think @MagusVerborum is well aware of my thought process at this point :cackle:

The following is all theories but I’ve spoiler tagged it anyway since it contains ep 3/4 stuff, and just in case I am right :ryukishi:

Since the bamboozle that was the end of ep3, I’ve started to think there might be one person masquerading as two on the island, thus the red that there are no more than 18 people. After a couple of very late night sessions of re-watching episode 1 and 2’s footage, I’ve noticed that at no point Shannon and Kanon are ever together in the same room as Battler, which led me to believe that they are the same person. Having edited the beginning of episode 2, these two chapters are soaked in evidence. Shannon “fighting against the side of herself” that supports the witch, the identical marks on their hands, the fact that only they can talk with the witch, and my favourite “Shannon felt somehow she had to do it for her own sake”. We cover all of this in more detail later in the playthrough, but if this is correct and you’re marking EPISODE 7 SPOILERS, I’m feeling pretty chuffed right now :ryukishi:

I’m in the middle of editing part 3 right now, so maybe all of this confidence will be suddenly shattered as I do so, who knows. I’m sure looking forward to it!

7 Likes

We’ve got a slightly earlier video this week. What could it all mean??? You’ll just have to stay tuned to find out :cackle:

Is it just me or does it look like Kanon is about ready to Naruto-run across campus? Gee I hope he doesn’t scrape his knee doing that :blushing:

8 Likes

I absolutely love love love how deeply you’re thinking about things.

Of course, to put it as Ben would, I can neither confirm nor deny any of what you’re saying. But it is an interesting theory, and I deeply look forward to seeing exactly down what path of thought it might lead you…

For now, I’m happy the amount of spoilers is giving you confidence. Confidence is what makes things fun, for both the player and the observer.

All of this speculation is just so satisfying to a long-time fan~.

1 Like

You know, I hadn’t actually thought about the fact it isn’t our regular upload today. Early it is! Also uploading right now is at last my epitaph theory from during episode 3, so it’s content, content, content this week :ryukishi:

1 Like

The gauntlet has been thrown, the bet has been made, the roulette has been set on fire and this fool @Jokrono seeks to challenge Beatrice from beyond the gameboard! cacklecacklecackle He has attempted a feat no mere human could accomplish… the solving of the epitaph! Let’s see what he’s cooked up together shall we? :cackle:

6 Likes

All I will tell you is that I remember Kari telling me the theory you said about the servants was an old theory people said a lot between episode 4 and 5’s releases and lots of people agreed with it then. So make of that what you will.

1 Like

@Jokrono I love your theories so much.

2 Likes

Thank you so much guys :smiley:
I put a lot of time in to all this so it’s great to see people engaging with it. I’m just really looking forward to seeing how the story pokes holes in the things I’m saying. I can certainly see how my theories at the end of episode 1 really had no evidence, but for others I had, it seems to stack up. I wonder how this rendition of my thoughts will fare against the game board as we go on :ryukishi:

10 Likes

It’s like Groundhog Day all over again! What are we doing at the airport?

10 Likes

Ahhh… That meta scene with Battler and Beatrice with fucking Answer playing in the background :midori:

Also, Battler doing that Phoenix Wright finger point was both incredibly cheesy and incredibly badass.

4 Likes

At this point I basically live for the Phoenix Wright point from Battler. An episode isn’t finished until we’ve had one.

8 Likes

It is your reaction to things like this, where I can’t wait to see your reaction to

Episode 2 spoilers The introduction of the red truth and how Umineko’s metaworld narrative plays

5 Likes

It’s that time of the week!
Latest video is up, and we’re back on the island with the family. I’m starting to think they all might survive this time guys :ryukishi:

10 Likes

Miraculously everyone still lives, and Battler decides to take a quick nap. Felix is upset by the word ‘turn’ so try not to say it too much :ryukishi:

6 Likes

The reason why Kairee Kyrie pressed her finger against her forehead was to signal the guys in the back to turn on her thinking music. :smug:

6 Likes

In TURN of the Golden Witch it is necessary to TURN the chessboard over countless times, because the TURN of events presents lots of magical scenes, which TURN out to be really cool and interesting, and makes the slow-paced story presented in Legend TURN into something new and much more exciting.
(I can’t miss my joke)

I missed your thoughts in the last video, though, so I’d like to know: What did you think about it? Or did you think nothing about it?

5 Likes

I think the most interesting scene in part 6 to me when we were playing through was the scene where it was proclaimed to not be “Battler’s turn”. When we were playing through, I thought it initially indicated that Battler, on the gameboard, was aware of the other gameboards. This was also (I thought) reinforced by a quote from the airport scene where it seemed Battler was aware of something Maria had said in a scene when he was not present (in editing I’ve realised this was just just a variation of “trick or treat” that I’d not heard before). Post editing I think that it’s more likely that it’s actually the narrator of the gameboard trying to push Battler to actually pay attention to everything that is happening, though I’m still not too sure of why.

As for the other things we addressed in the episode, which I clued in to your interest for by means of magic, I think that the story is designed such that Rokkenjima is actually isolated. I believe the storm is meant to be flimsy enough of a restriction such that Ryukishi can still pose the question of others arriving on the island, but I think this is there just to establish a possibility to misdirect.

As for the letter question which you also definitely did not post, I think this is largely for the culprit to maintain the mystique of the witch. Whilst the witch is seen by Kyrie, it’s possible this was unintended, thus why she is seen as dressed differently to the portrait. I could go in to more theories on this here if you want but it’s getting late and this is my main thought :ryukishi:

4 Likes

My goodness she’s only just arrived and she’s causing such a stir, Beatrice continues to talk ominously in this brand new episode!

7 Likes

@MagusVerborum put together a short video to tide you over until the next full video is released tomorrow. I think this one is really the key to unravelling the mystery. Enjoy!

5 Likes