A Seasoned Veteran and a Sherlock-in-Training Try to Make Sense of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

In TURN of the Golden Witch it is necessary to TURN the chessboard over countless times, because the TURN of events presents lots of magical scenes, which TURN out to be really cool and interesting, and makes the slow-paced story presented in Legend TURN into something new and much more exciting.
(I can’t miss my joke)

I missed your thoughts in the last video, though, so I’d like to know: What did you think about it? Or did you think nothing about it?

5 Likes

I think the most interesting scene in part 6 to me when we were playing through was the scene where it was proclaimed to not be “Battler’s turn”. When we were playing through, I thought it initially indicated that Battler, on the gameboard, was aware of the other gameboards. This was also (I thought) reinforced by a quote from the airport scene where it seemed Battler was aware of something Maria had said in a scene when he was not present (in editing I’ve realised this was just just a variation of “trick or treat” that I’d not heard before). Post editing I think that it’s more likely that it’s actually the narrator of the gameboard trying to push Battler to actually pay attention to everything that is happening, though I’m still not too sure of why.

As for the other things we addressed in the episode, which I clued in to your interest for by means of magic, I think that the story is designed such that Rokkenjima is actually isolated. I believe the storm is meant to be flimsy enough of a restriction such that Ryukishi can still pose the question of others arriving on the island, but I think this is there just to establish a possibility to misdirect.

As for the letter question which you also definitely did not post, I think this is largely for the culprit to maintain the mystique of the witch. Whilst the witch is seen by Kyrie, it’s possible this was unintended, thus why she is seen as dressed differently to the portrait. I could go in to more theories on this here if you want but it’s getting late and this is my main thought :ryukishi:

4 Likes

My goodness she’s only just arrived and she’s causing such a stir, Beatrice continues to talk ominously in this brand new episode!

7 Likes

@MagusVerborum put together a short video to tide you over until the next full video is released tomorrow. I think this one is really the key to unravelling the mystery. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Your keyboard is the bane of my existence.

1 Like

Funnily enough the top left of the trackpad is just completely non-responsive at the moment and it’s making me very sad.

It is clearly a case of Beatrice cursing your keyboard.

2 Likes

Oh I never commented on that. Are we really calling that a school uniform…?

Aren’t you? :ryukishi:

1 Like

@Aspirety I believe that sprite specifically called ‘sexy schoolgirl Beatrice’ but that’s neither here nor there. What is here is another part!

And what’s there is… not entirely clear? There’s a fair amount of questions raised by the end of this chapter, from the interrogation of Maria and Nanjo to the uh ‘mysterious location’ we find ourselves in at the end of the chapter… George and Shannon have a tender moment in the arbor so it’s not all terrifying witch hunting!

5 Likes

I’m sure this mysterious location will be utterly irrelevant other than providing a pretty backdrop for entirely pure hearted activities. No riddles or murders anywhere

1 Like

This is a wholesome family-friendly story, after all.

1 Like

And here we are, it’s the second first twilight, part of the second episode of eight episodes of the second When They Cry series which is technically When They Cry Three, so six people have died and I’m numerically challenged.

Enjoy! :ryukishi:

9 Likes

“Maria buried her face in Nanjo’s plump stomach, sobbing and crying.”

Oh no, don’t you dare start talking about stomachs after what you just wrote Ryukishi. :annoyed:

4 Likes

Life advice: never math while recording. It doesn’t end well.

1 Like

I was editing this bit from episode 1 a couple of days after we recorded the first twilight from episode 2, and I found this bit of foreshadowing particularly hilarious.

9 Likes

This is one of my favourite chapters. Best first twilight of all time. I remember reading this for the first time and laughing insanely at how graphic the description was, it was so well-written, great job Ryukishi. You seem to be having fun, and that’s nice. I literally can’t wait for the time you’ll give up and accept that witches exist, please don’t forget to take a picture and post it here. :love:

4 Likes

Here we go again! The next episode is live. When we were up to the second twilight in episode 1, @MagusVerborum told me there was a scene which sold him on finishing the series, and what he says at the beginning of the episode, before I say “I’m excited to learn about some furniture”, was him letting me know that this was the one. I will say I don’t think this sold me on the series quite as much as it did him, but it sure was a pretty mind-blowing thing to see.

Also @TsukiyoAlex, you’ll just have to watch and find out. :ryukishi:

8 Likes

I’m disappointed that you guys never look at Goatie’s Steam sprite once during the chapter yet Asmodeus gets to show off her Steam sprite. Goats really do get no respect around here :crying:

1 Like

Haha we realised this just after we finished recording. It’s true though the goats really need to show more abs if they want me to look at their updated sprites. :ryukishi: