Bernkastel's Last Bow [Complete]

I would argue you’d have to give me something better to even make tilting possible.

With Kinzo you can explain the floor tilting back to proper position because he’s outside. But Genji and Shannon are both in the room from the time of the suggested switch to the time Krauss picks it up - meaning that the floor has to tilt and untilt by the time it reaches Krauss’ side. How could Shannon and Genji do that? Standing at a certain position won’t do - you’re suggesting a statuette moved across a table - a minor tilt won’t do that. Whatever would cause the floor to slant has to be quite heavy, and simply adding and removing such a weight can’t be done with a reasonable remote mechanism (it’d have to be timed too, which I believe I’ve denied anyway). Finally, if the floor was tilted to move the statuette, why did the other plates of food not start moving as well?

(Read: it ain’t no tilt fam.)

Well, for the plates you could argue greater surface area just makes them slide worse than a weighted letter.

As for remote mechanisms, doesn’t have to be a weight on top. Could be some material underneath the boards, and by adjusting the temperature with the thermostat in the room they made it expand and lift up the floor on one side.

(I mean I guess if you say no tilt I should just stop there.)

Pretty sure the surface wouldn’t have made much of an impact in the long run, given that the plates would’ve probably weighed less in total compared to the statuette, evening everything out roughly in terms of friction. And as for thermal expansion - changing the thermostat probably wouldn’t have affected something to rise or shrink to create a significant enough of a tilt to make a difference. Plus I don’t even recall the thermostat being explicitly touched during the dinner scene.

Either way, it’s a dead end. The floor was never tilted.

HINT FOR THE LETTER MYSTERY

AFTERMATH

AFTERMATH

lastbowafter

And just like that, they’d taken Uncle Krauss away. I can’t say I was really surprised. Shocked – a bit. I think we all were. None of us thought it’d have actually… well, happen. At least, I know I didn’t. But then again, not like anyone could’ve foreseen two brutal murders being committed in the first place.

Actually, three, I guess. He’d apparently killed grandfather too, right?

“Battler, are you okay?” Aunt Eva asked me.
“I’m fine.” I said, getting back on my feet. “Just… Just gonna go stretch my legs for a bit. Need to process everything that’s happened.”

It’s strange. Just hours ago, as we all sat in that very parlor, it felt like Uncle Krauss had managed to – or was trying to – bring us all together as a family. Even now, it doesn’t strike me as the action of a cold-blooded killer.

Nevertheless, no matter how I thought about it, I couldn’t say the police were in the wrong. The theory they ended up going with seemed like the only logical conclusion. Sure, when it comes to the murders themselves, there’s a lot of leeway when it comes to who could’ve done it.

The letter?

Not so much.

I walked into the dining room. I’d gone over the whole matter of the letter with Aunt Natsuhi before she’d died plenty enough times, and we never seemed to reach a solid conclusion.

My game really was just that – a game. And it’s not like I’d told anyone I was going to do it beforehand. I was just trying to lighten the mood, for crying out loud. Not like I could’ve known it was going to end up in that letter.

But then again, going by the police – no mention of my game was in that letter to begin with. Uncle Krauss just lied then and there – pretending to read out something that wasn’t actually there, and creating the illusion of a letter that was able to tell the future. After all, nobody in the room had gotten a good look at the damn thing. The best I could tell was that it wasn’t just a blank piece of paper. I mean, it couldn’t have been. It’d been written on both sides. I think I had been the one to point out to Uncle Krauss there was more of the letter on the other side, actually.

I have to say, if he’d been making it up as he went along, it was pretty fast thinking. Genji claimed grandfather had entrusted him with presenting the letter. Uncle Krauss shouldn’t have known about it. Therefore, he really wouldn’t have had time to plan for… well, anything.

Then again – assuming someone else is the culprit, would THEY have had time to plan for anything?

The only way to explain it would’ve been something like this:

If the culprit did not know that the letter would be placed by Genji, does that mean they had a plan to place a letter of their own that just happened to conveniently match up with what actually happened?

“Would’ve been a hell of a miracle.”

Alternatively:

The culprit found out about the letter being placed there without Genji or Grandfather ever needing to say a single word.

I slid my hands into my pockets and began walking around the table.

Even though it seemed unlikely, I decided to think about possible alternatives when it came to the culprit of that letter.

I don’t know why, but for some reason, I ended up assuming that only one person had to have been behind it. I suppose I was looking at it more as a weird game of some sort than a real life incident.

Guess that’s just the way I was.

“Alright, let’s see… Think, think…” I told myself.

The obvious thing to do would have been to start with the basics.

Since nobody would’ve been able to predict my game, the letter had to have been switched. Or, to turn it around: the letter Genji had originally placed down couldn’t have possibly initially contained, at the very least, my game or the number Uncle Krauss had guessed.

Fair play, I figured.

But right from the beginning, you run into an issue.

Since nobody would’ve been able to predict my game, the culprit had to have written one or more element of the letter on the spot.

That right there is the catch, I suppose. I don’t think any one of us could’ve just went and put their hands in their lap to start writing out a letter. But – perhaps I wouldn’t be giving the culprit enough credit with that line of thinking. Say they had found a way. Say that the game was the only thing that wasn’t anticipated, everything else was something they could’ve planned or set up in advance, and they decided to add it into the letter afterwards for shits and giggles, and that they did so without us noticing.

The much harder issue becomes:

How do you seal the damn thing with wax without being noticed?

No, even beyond that:

How do you have the Head’s ring to begin with? And why?

I guess someone could’ve just stolen it from him during the day, though. And he might’ve just not noticed it afterwards. He was old. So, it’s not that big of a deal, as far as I can tell.

Still, the wax thing does seem to be one.

Someone doing it from outside seems unlikely, as well. After all, in that case, even though you’re able to overhear and see what’s happening in the dining room, you’re unable to actually place the letter back.

The solution then becomes that someone who both gone in and out of the dining room is the obvious suspect… which leaves us with Genji and Shannon. But even that seems like a dead end. They couldn’t have switched the damn letter.

…I keep mentioning it. Well, I guess it’s another thing.

No, it might be the most important question.

Even if you can explain how someone writes up a nice little ol’ letter…

How does the culprit switch the letter?

I walked over to the table. I examined it from every angle. There didn’t seem to be anything strange about it. No secret mechanisms, no weird tamperings or secret compartments. I tried shaking it, but it seemed to be firmly in place. I checked the chairs. Nothing off about them, too. I checked the lamps in the corner. Nothing suspicious there, either. Windows? Didn’t seem to be relevant in the slightest. The only remaining thing was the statuette – but it too didn’t seem to hide any secrets. It was just a normal statuette.

I took it and placed it roughly where I remembered Genji putting it. Obviously, I didn’t have a letter to place underneath it, but that wasn’t the point for the time being, anyway.

Then, I sat where I did during dinner.

I looked around me.

Admittedly, the statuette wasn’t in my field of vision when looking around the table. And yet, I would’ve probably noticed had someone near me tried reaching for it. You can’t just miss a hand outstretching like that.

The solution, in my mind, became some sort of mechanism through which the culprit had taken advantage of the fact none of us paid any attention to the letter, gotten it off the table and switched it, and then using the same mechanism, gotten it back into place.

Or, at the very least, maybe moved the statuette and the letter together during dinner so it got closer to where they were sitting, switched it, and then brought it back.

And just like that, another question.

How and when does the culprit set up something like that?

And with it, another.

How the hell do we not notice it?

And another.

What guarantee would’ve the culprit had that most if not all of us would’ve paid very little attention to the letter and the statuette?

Assuming the plan was something like I’d just described, obviously, it would’ve been a plan with room for error. After all, had anyone at a certain point happened to look down and seen the statuette magically moving, it would’ve been pretty telling. What then?

Just how much room for error is there, assuming something like this was done? And what are the chances of recovery in case something goes wrong?

If I was the culprit and trying to go for something like that, I would’ve found a way to minimize that. But how? Evidently, nobody had placed anything on our heads and forced us to look straight in front of us. And, assuming only one person was behind it all…

All of our choices during that dinner would’ve had to have been our own.

From my game, to the number uncle Krauss picked, to whether or not we looked at the statuette… Whatever plan the culprit had come up with, they would’ve needed to take all of it into account. Plus, if none of the incidents were their direct doing – that would’ve had to have included Shannon’s incident with the cart and Maria’s food.

“So how the hell do you do it?!”

It escaped without me even realizing it.

It really did seem like Uncle Krauss was the most likely culprit. So why was I so upset? Could it have been that the mystery fanatic in me just couldn’t deal with the most obvious solution being the easiest one?

Or was I just jealous I hadn’t thought of it first…?

I shook my head.

It felt like, if Uncle Krauss was innocent, there was still something I was missing.

But investigating the dining room itself felt like a complete bust. I hadn’t found anything, but was rather just more confused. And annoyed. Confused and annoyed.

Confusoyed?

As I began to leave, I felt my left leg itch. As I slightly bent down to scratch it, I noticed something.

Directly in front of the door, maybe a few inches away from it, was a tiny hole. Its diameter was smaller than that of my pinky finger. We’re talking real tiny here. Not impossibly tiny, but still pretty damn small. There was no way you’d just see it without looking real close. It wasn’t very deep. I couldn’t stick anything in it to prove it conclusively, I admit, but I’m fairly certain.

How long had it been there? Hell, we must’ve stepped over it a million times without realizing. You’d never feel it just by passing your foot over it.

I wondered if it had something to do with the letter placing.

I looked at the hole. Then I looked at the rest of the dining room. Then back at the hole.

Then I got an idea. It wasn’t anything concrete. It was more of a feeling, I suppose.

I ended up borrowing several sheets of paper from Maria and sat down back into the dining room. I drew a rough floorplan.

And then, I began to draw out scenarios. Visualizing just a chessboard wasn’t going to cut it this time.

“If this went here… no. No, that wouldn’t work because that person would’ve… Maybe this? But in that case, when could they’ve…? Ah, wait, there was an opening… But how do you…?” I occasionally stood up and dashed around the damn room to confirm some of my suspicions, making sure I got certain details right.

In retrospect, I probably looked like an idiot.

Yet…

“…No…”

And yet…

“Oh, no…”

But it made sense.

I leaned back in my chair. “Still… to pull of something like that…” It brought a myriad of questions all on its own. So many seeming contradictions.

Until I thought back on everything that had happened on the island up until that point. Everything that had happened during that dinner. Everything that happened afterwards.

Things started to fall into place.

My heart began to race. I could push it even further. I could add even more elements to it. I was sounding like some sort of conspiracy nut to myself trying to link all these seemingly insignificant threads, but the more I thought about it – the more it made sense.

Especially once I added the most loose thread of them all.

I began to see the full extent of the culprit’s cruel trickery.

In mystery, you’re faced with who, how and why. That leaves the impression that next to every question, there’s an empty line to fill out. And that’s the biggest trap here.

A mere line for this “how” isn’t enough. It isn’t just a sentence. It isn’t even a simple paragraph.

This was a fucking jigsaw puzzle.

A plan of ludicrous lengths.

All for a goddamn letter.

The chances of the culprit’s plan going awry at the letter stage, them getting caught and suspected as a result of it – slim. In fact, there was only a small window for it to go terribly wrong.

But they were confident.

They were confident, because they’d utilized our human weaknesses to their advantage. Holes… so many holes. The most devastating one was the reason for the plan itself – our way of thinking. That’s right… once Uncle Krauss had picked up that letter, it was game over.

Assume X, deal with Y.
Assume Y, deal with Z.
Assume Z, deal with X.

An endless loop of conflicting ideas. Like robots being fed a paradox.

And the worst part?

Even after putting all of it together like this, I still had no guarantee it was the truth. I had no proof. And most, if not all evidence, would have been gone by this point. After all, that was the beauty of all of it. You didn’t need much to pull it all off, and the things you did, you could get rid of easily.

“Fuck.”

4 Likes

Looks like I have to drop the Battler culprit theory. I came to that conclusion because I assumed the letter was written during the dinner by someone in the room, but that has been denied in red and Battler narrates the extra thing. Oh well, a Shannon culprit theory is fine too.

Though I still haven’t quite figured out how exactly the letter was moved. I’d expect that by the time Shannon came to pour the champagne, the letter had been moved to the edge of the table, or perhaps over the edge to the floor. She would’ve swapped the letter then, and used some method for moving the letter to get it to the correct position during Krauss’ speech. She had instigated the conflict between Battler and George in advance to make it less likely they pay attention to the space between them on the table, hoping they’ll either completely avoid looking in each other’s direction or that they lock eyes so hatefully that they won’t notice what’s going on on the table.

What Battler found on the floor is undoubtedly relevant to the trick, but I wonder how. Notably, Krauss stepped on something sharp-ish, but there was no such thing there anymore when Battler did his own investigation. It must’ve been something small and insigificant for it to go unnoticed. For now, I can’t think of anything else than a small hook or other object suitable for holding down a string. In order to remotely move a letter with a statuette on top of it, you need something tangible to exert force upon it. The most convenient option is transparent string. With small hooks holding the ends of the string pinned to the floor, one could construct a conveyor belt (yes, this again) that could be operated from outside the room. As you couldn’t hook any strings to the floor during the dinner itself, this would need to be set up beforehand. Thus, a conveyor belt instead of some more direct thing, such as a string directly attached to the letter that can be pulled to move the letter in one direction.

Kinzo’s letter was a surprise to Shannon, but luckily, the conveyor belt mechanism can operate in the opposite direction as well. As it is was natural for Shannon to prepare a conveyor belt for her own trick, and it was natural for Genji to place the letter in the middle of the table, Shannon’s conveyor belt being able to move the letter was no great coincidence. Shannon’s original plan was to simply covertly place her own letter to the end of the table when she was serving the drinks, and then stealthily slide the letter towards Krauss. If at any time the letter was noticed, she could hear the commotion that would undoubtedly ensue, and stop moving it. Only if the letter was noticed right away and was still at the very edge of the table, would Shannon become the prime suspect. As someone would undoubtedly pick up the letter and everyone’s attention would be in that person, she could simply pull away the string without anyone noticing, and nobody would guess Shannon was the one who placed the letter and moved it with some string trick. Kinzo’s letter and the statuette made it more likely that someone would notice something weird happening, but it still couldn’t really be tied to Shannon unless someone noticed the very moment the letter was switched.

Shannon had written the letter mostly in advance, as her both preparing the food and serving them allowed her to make sure Maria got the spiked food. The paragraph about Battler’s game was obviously added afterwards, but its convenient positioning at the very end of the first page and its relatively short length makes it likely it was an unplanned improvisation to make the letter more impressive.

So. Shannon used a string trick utilizing hooks on the floor to create a conveyor belt she could operate from outside the room. She had moved the letter past Battler and George, who were distracted from looking at the table between them by their mutual hatred of each other instigated by Shannon, and swapped the letter as she was pouring shampagne. Then she moved the letter back after returning, during Krauss’ speech. The letter was written in advance, though the part about Battler’s game was added on the fly.

1 Like

One pretty big issue.

Shannon remained in the dining room after pouring the champagne - hence, she wouldn’t have been able to operate the belt and bring it all back. (It took me a bit to check the story - turns out I’d never explicitly stated Shannon remained after pouring the champagne. My oversight here. Although, it’s, uh, also entirely possible I did say something like that and I missed it just now upon re-reading; it’s been a while, so my bad if this is an error on my part. If I really never said she left, take her not leaving as red here.)

Hmm. That would imply that the conveyor belt was set up in a way that allowed Shannon to operate it from whatever corner she stayed in after pouring the shampagne. This doesn’t present an issue when it comes to moving the letter back, but one would expect Shannon to have prepared only one place to operate the conveyor belt from, meaning she couldn’t have used it to move the original letter to the edge of the table from the outside.

Perhaps Shannon used the conveyor belt from inside the room - first when she was serving the dinner (perhaps during the mishap with the serving cart) to move Kinzo’s letter to the edge of the table, and later during the toast to move her own letter in front of Krauss.

Or perhaps Shannon was simply prepared for every eventuality and had prepared a way to utilize the conveyor belt from outside the room and a separate way to operate it from the inside. She used the former to move Kinzo’s letter and the latter to move her own.

1 Like

A small hook? Heh, I was thinking of a nail, but essentially same thing. It would align perfectly with the center of the table. This would be rather good for pulling stuff across it even without any fancy conveyor belts.
Like when she fell she could have pulled on some string that went around it and the ‘hook’ and then pulled something across the table that way. (could have also gone around the lamp for a better angle)
Naturally without the conveyor belt thing that’d only work once…

And why stop at distracting George and Battler? :stuck_out_tongue:

-Maria was distracted by her food being bad at first and then subsequently still being busy with her food
-for the same reason you could argue that Rosa was distracted
-Nanjo mentions having had a bad stomachache the entire day
-Jessica is obviously bothered by something and was paying attention to her mother mostly
-Natsuhi was bothered by ‘something about the servants’. Furthermore, she complained about the light. Maybe it was specifically tampered with during renovations to point at her, making her less likely to see anything/cause a headache?
-Eva was clearly more focused on arguing with Krauss

Just saying if we’re supposed to think in terms of jigsaw puzzle it’s very possible she made sure every single person in the room was at least likely to be distracted.

3 Likes

I could question how this conveyor belt would’ve worked properly from inside of the room and what the “countermeasure” would’ve been. I could do that.

But there’s a high chance you’ll just find some way around that. And we could go around and around all day and adjust a million theories. It’s pretty obvious where the wind is blowing. You’ve concluded that it comes down to either Shannon or Genji. It makes sense, after all. That one’s kind of on me for not really bothering to make a case against them in the hint. They were the only two people who had the ability to be outside and inside the dining room for a certain period of time, thus giving you a small hope there’s room for a mechanism to be played here.

I’m here to crush that hope.

This isn’t admittedly the point where I was supposed to do this, but I’m smelling that this is one of those “grab onto and don’t let go no matter what” time of desperation theories. So, let’s just do this now.

Ahem.

Hey guys remember those murders?

Let’s do a recap, since you’ve been stuck on that letter for a while.

Shannon and Genji, on their inspection, come across the VIP room. Chain’s set, they look inside, they see Jessica’s legs just casually hanging out from behind the corner. They rush downstairs, get Krauss, Krauss looks through the gap in the door, sees it with his own eyes. At this point, I’ll also draw attention to what exactly Krauss sees. There are the legs. There is a light source coming from the left, just around the corner. He can also see a bit of the window across. (This will be relevant a bit later. Not right now, but a bit further down the line.)

At that point, as the three of them are at the door, a gunshot happens. Right around then, Eva and Hideyoshi pop around the corner, rush over, and stay at the door while Krauss rushes off to go get Natsuhi (and inevitably find her dead).

The police investigation later concludes this gunshot was caused by a timer and a gun attached to it, triggered remotely, and allowing anyone to do it.

This is about as much as I need to recap to set the problem up properly.

Now let me explain why this is a problem to begin with.

The source of the gunshot was not the gun found by the police with the timer.
The source of the gunshot was the gun found near Jessica’s corpse.
It is the only gun that was fired throughout the duration of this entire game.
The gunshot Krauss, Genji and Shannon heard while outside of the VIP room (referred to as ‘the gunshot’ in the previous reds) was a genuine gunshot. In other words, it was a gunshot caused directly by the gun, fired directly by a human being. The human being, naturally, had to be holding the gun. It was not a recording.

This eliminates Shannon and Genji, the most likely suspects in the letter planting, since they were the only people who were both in the dining room and out of the dining room, thus fitting the reds. Since the letter planter and the murderer are the same person (and that gunshot was 100% a part of the culprit’s plan), you now face the problem of explaining how it would’ve been possible with them being right there.

Do you understand why this game is titled the way it is?

Truth be told, it didn’t matter who you’d selected as a culprit for the letter. Any feasible and entertaining theory would’ve gotten you to this point after a while. You would’ve had hope to get through this horrible maze and believed you’d seen a light at the end of the tunnel.

And then, I would’ve made a red about the murders.

It isn’t just for Shannon and Genji. There are specific ways to eliminate almost every member of the family.

But I don’t want to overextend my hand. If I give you too much on the murders, you might start seeing a suspect there. And once you put two and two together, it’ll be a bit anti-climactic.

So for now, enjoy this gift from the witch of miracles.

2 Likes

Let’s go back to this. This makes it seem like nobody inside the dining room did it and now apparently Shannon and Genji are also innocent. Who does that leave?

Well, the remainder of the cast is Kumasawa, Gohda, and Kinzo, who are all outside the dining room the entire time. During the dinner, Gohda’s in the kitchen the whole?time, Kumasawa leaves the kitchen right before the toast, and Kinzo is preparing to jump out of a window.

1 Like

Gohda supposedly has an alibi because he was with Nanjo.

Kumasawa herself admits she has no alibi.

Kinzo apparently dies before the murders.

1 Like

<Good.>

So by elimination, unless Kinzo faked his death, Kumasawa’s the only one left.

But how? :crying:

Previously mentioned regarding Kumasawa:

I’m also starting to wonder about the gravity of the ‘walls have ears’. Is Kumasawa hiding in the walls, whispering to Kinzo everything she knows? Could she be hiding in the walls for some duration of the letter trick? Especially considering how difficult it would be to setup anything inside the dining room without prior knowledge, perhaps she’s somehow setting up the trick by poking holes through the walls and floor? (Is there a floor beneath the dining room?)
We’ve only gotten a confirmation so far that there’s no hole in the ceiling.

1 Like

At the beginning of the story, they talk about renovation, including renovation of the basement. Together with the tiny hole in the dining room, it isn’t too unreasonable to assume that the culprit somehow used it for their plan.

As things are now, Kumasawa seems to be the only possible culprit.

1. She has no alibi for the murders, and wasn’t in the dining room.
  2. She apparently left to change some sheets, but that can easily be a lie.
  3. As a servant, she had knowledge of the speech and knew about the basement renovations.

So, perhaps Kumasawa pulled off some trick from the basement or whatever?

The letter has to be written after Genji placed a letter on the table.
(very hard to argue against at this point I’d say)

You have to write the letter while not in the dining room.
GIven this red:

You’ll have a hard time overturning that assumption. Everyone who was in the dining room the whole time is out.

Likewise, the letter has to be switched with your hand. So no matter what kind of device is used, at some point you lift the statue with your hand and place the letter. The only time someone like Kumasawa could have pulled something like that was to somehow quickly rush in through the kitchen door while everyone was busy with something, placing the letter, and rushing back out.

I mean, if you can work with that, go ahead and try. Those string tricks can probably be adjusted to work for her?

But I think we shouldn’t be too misled by a good pokerface.
It’s Genji or Shannon, just gotta figure out how they did it.

1 Like

Hah, you’re right, actually. I changed my mind. It is far too early to dismiss Genji and Shannon.

In any case, it is obvious that the culprit was the person who had access to the dining room, but also wasn’t present for the whole dinner itself (that way they could finish writing the letter). That means none of the Ushiromiya family members are responsible for the trick and the murders since the red already ruled out anyone within the dining room being able to write a letter like that.

We also know the letter was switched out by hand, so…

That leaves us with:

1. Genji. Went in and out of the dining room, was in close proximity to the letter.
  2. Shannon. Same as Genji, basically. Went in and out of the room and was near the letter.

Next, we also have Kumasawa. Gohda has an alibi thanks to Nanjo, but Kumasawa has no alibi, not for the trick, and neither for the murders. Now, Kumasawa had no access to the dining room (as far as we know, she never showed up in front of others in the dining room), but that doesn’t remove the possibility of there being a secret trap door under the table (there were basement renovations, after all) and Kumasawa slipping in and somehow switching out the letter while others were distracted.

The only other potential culprit is Kinzo, but this is 99% impossible given the description of Kinzo’s body.

So this basically leaves us with Genji, Shannon and Kumasawa.

One important thing that has been confirmed in red is the following:

Apparently, at the time the gunshot was heard, it was fired by an actual person. This makes it seem like Genji and Shannon couldn’t have done it since they were with Krauss at the time the gunshot was heard. The red, however, doesn’t confirm that the culprit is the one who fired the gun, which makes it possible that a random person X fired a gun. EDIT: nevermind, Natsuhi was killed with that gun. Hmm.

Really, the most obvious culprit here seems to be Kumasawa, but the very fact she’s most obvious makes me feel like it might actually not be her. I also feel like it might be difficult for her to switch the letter from under the table without anyone noticing a tiny old woman popping up, picking up the statuette and replacing the letter.

1 Like

Just to throw around ideas, I wonder if it is possible Natsuhi was not actually shot, and the gunshot that was heard came from a blank round shot by Shannon from a gun she had either concealed on her person, or hidden somewhere near the door to the VIP room.

There are a number of strange details about Jessica’s murder. First of all, the chain was set. As one of the windows is broken and Krauss specifically points out that it is entirely possible to leave the room that way, it most certainly wasn’t set to create a closed room. Second, the window was very deliberately broken, with all glass removed. One would assume it is possible to merely open the window, if opening an escape route was all that was needed. Third, Jessica was found in the VIP room. Whether she was killed there or not, that is not a natural place for Jessica to be. The existence of the lit lamp on the table is not strange by itself, but it seems like a relevant detail anyway.

Having the chain set means Jessica can be seen inside the room without anyone being able to access it. Jessica’s corpse being there also makes it so that Shannon and Genji are the ones to find the corpse. I wonder if having Krauss witness Jessica’s body on the floor moments before the gunshot was heard, giving Krauss reason to dash to their bedroom, was a part of the culprit’s plan, for some purpose. Was the window broken to make it easier to move something through it? Wind can close a window, making it impossible to, say, throw the revolver into the room later on, but a broken window has no such risks.

Well, that’s all I have time for right now. Since DWaM seems to put a lot of effort into his gameboards, I should reread the entire narrative to take a broader look into the case as a whole and try to pick up on subtle details that could hint towards the culprit’s plan, but that takes time, which is a commodity I have precious little of.

1 Like

There is an issue with that given that the only gun that was fired throughout the game was found in Jessica’s room, and Natsuhi supposedly died from a gunshot. The implication is that the only gunshot in this game is the one that killed Natsuhi. Unless you are implying it is possible Natsuhi’s death resembled a gunshot wound but was in reality something completely different?

That is indeed what I imply. Perhaps it is possible to kill Natsuhi with an ice pick or some other sharp implement, and simply insert a used bullet into the wound to make it look like she was shot.

1 Like

I am a little confused about this section @DWaM.

It had been smashed - every part of glass. It had also been left open, to drift in the wind.

Does this mean the window was open and broken? Because I don’t see why a window would need to be broken if it was open…

You understood correctly. It was both smashed and open.

As for what reason?

Well, who knows?

(For the time being, I’ll assume there’s no need for me to comment on anything else said up until this point.)

Actually, on second thought, there is something I should probably clarify, because it seems like you might be seeing an issue for yourselves where one doesn’t exist.

Well –

=/=

“The gun was fired only once.”

Therefore, the gunshot doesn’t necessarily has to match with the shot that killed Natsuhi.

You may consider this to be a bit of me helping you out, but at this point, you really don’t need any more problems than you have. In fact, even the game helps you out here:

(Page 41)
“Then, it’s simple, isn’t it?” Hideyoshi concluded. "The culprit first shot Natsuhi here. Probably used
something to silence the shot. […]

I would accept something like this as enough of an explanation. I think I would even accept the icepick solution if need be. My sincere advice is to not focus too much on Natsuhi for the time being.