Bernkastel's Last Bow [Complete]

Well, again - Krauss would have had to have noticed that the window to the left was open, which it was not.

There’s also another issue but… no need to get ahead of ourselves on that for the time being I sppose.

I thought only Jessica’s legs were visible through the crack? Wouldn’t that mean window 1 on the diagram isn’t in his line of sight, if something is blocking her upper body?

Krauss on page 38 and the diagram itself should clarify this - you can still see a bit of the window through the gap. Enough to determine whether or not it’s closed at least.

Alright, same theory as above except without pulling on the rope from the outside to kill Jessica. Genji finished off Jessica when he re-entered the VIP room to shorten and clean up the rope.

Then you run into the issue of Genji probably being seen by Hideyoshi as he walked across the room to finish her off. Even if Hideyoshi had been distracted for a moment or something - remember the lamp. He would’ve seen Genji’s shadow - as he would’ve seen the shadow of anyone fumbling on the left side of the room.

Fair enough. The rope was always that short length, and Jessica had been long dead before they peered into the room. To explain the state of the windows, window 2 was opened from the outside (it was never confirmed as locked) and shot by the culprit while they were outside, sending the broken glass towards the outside of the house. The culprit then threw the revolver back into the room through the open window.

1 Like

Window 2 was indeed confirmed as locked in the earlier red, but you could claim the culprit broke it, opened it from the inside by sticking their and in and the threw what glass was on the inside so no worries there.

Thanks for coming up with a theory that eliminates your only two suspects.

:cackle:

1 Like

Genji had a gun hidden on him and shot inside the VIP room while Shannon and Krauss weren’t paying attention, he positioned himself in a way that allowed him to hide the gun and shoot safely. That is the source of the gunshot heard by Krauss and others. Later, Genji simply placed the gun in the VIP room whether by throwing it inside or climbing up and putting it there.

You’d have more luck with small bombs.

It goes without saying, but nobody in the group standing in front of the door could have fired a gun without the others in the group immediately noticing.

Tsk tsk. You think the game is coming to an end, and that this is the final stretch? That you can attempt to handwave this away?

Oh my sweet summer children.

Your suffering is far from over.

1 Like

The gunshot came from Kinzo. Kinzo jumped from the window, but didn’t actually die. Kinzo had replaced his body with a convincing body double by the time Krauss arrived, and Krauss was dumb enough to believe it was really him. Later, Kinzo took a gun with him, and murdered Natsuhi and Jessica.

The gunshot came from Kinzo. Kinzo jumped from the window, but didn’t actually die. Kinzo had replaced his body with a convincing body double by the time Krauss arrived, and Krauss was dumb enough to believe it was really him. Later, Kinzo took took a gun and created a gunshot just to mess with everyone and escaped the island. That gunshot is what distracted Krauss.

Best part is, I don’t even need to confirm or deny whether or not Kinzo was dead at the time. I just have to ask: how’d he switch that letter then?

Check my second theory.

Jessica wasn’t dead when the group peered through the gap. She fired the gun as instructed (breaking the window), and simply waited for the group to free her. However, the rope was tied around her neck and the end of it was on the dark side of the room on the right, out of the group’s field of vision. The culprit, Genji, then opened window 2 from the outside (through the hole in the window) and pulled on the end of the rope, killing Jessica. He then cut the rope short and took it with him. He could accomplish this without ever entering the left half of the room, and thus wouldn’t have cast a shadow for Hideyoshi to see.

Could swear I mentioned somewhere the gunshot was a part, and a result, of the culprit’s plan… Oh, well. Now I’ll say it even in red. You’re not getting away by claiming it a simple stroke of luck.

I swear, you tell them they can’t handwave it away and they go and to this to me.

1 Like

Actually you never said it in red. So thanks. :wink:

This sounds a lot like the theory Rune suggested earlier, but this one I’m having a lot harder time visualizing. What exactly would’ve been the threat for Jessica? Why would she not stand up and just… remove the rope from her neck? With Rune’s you had the excuse of the weight, but here you can’t have one - the window is closed. By extension then - why even fire the gun? You can claim it’s a prank but… what does the prank accomplish? If the point was to fire the gun, why the rope? If the point was to get attention, why didn’t she say something or scream? I have a hard time imagining why go through the bizarre effort.

More importantly, you can’t cut the rope to be as short as it actually ended up being if you did it from the window. You’d end up with pretty much the length of the entire thing.

Also, why wouldn’t have Jessica done something to fight back - since Genji would’ve been strangling her by pulling from the window?

It just… feels more like a theory to satisfy the reds a bit, doesn’t it?

Well, she’d fire the gun because of the threat on Natsuhi. And it’s possible she didn’t struggle because she passed out, possibly due to fear or the like. We could also say that the end of the rope was left on the north side of the room, such that Genji could pull/cut from there while still being on the right side of the door, out of the shadow casting range. Depending on how literal we want to be with Hideyoshi’s claim, too. It’s possible that the rope was left forming a line to the northwest corner of the room, and Genji snuck around the walls, avoiding casting a shadow, and pulling from the northwest corner blindspot. Seems possible to envision to me.

Stubborness is a method that won’t do you any good. Years ago I became mentally prepared through rigorous torture by the person that beta’d my gameboards.

In the end, you’ll only confirm what was obvious to begin with.

Firstly, I can’t help but point out that the notion that Jessica was fully conscious when firing the gun, but then conveniently passed out a second later, and that there were no signs or noticable changes to her body’s position to be seen as a tight rope pulled and choked the life out of her… seems a bit too much, even by my standards.

Secondly, let’s make this simple. Anyone on the left side of the room would’ve had their shadow cast, regardless of where on the left side they were. Let’s also make it so that the shadow would’ve been long and cast towards the right of the room. Simply put: it would’ve been seen by Hideyoshi. Of course, Hideyoshi would’ve been distracted and happened to look away for a few fleeting moments at a time at most. Not enough for Genji to cross over, cut the rope and set up the scene to his liking.

It’s good rope, y’know?

Food for thought…

The culprit is either:
-someone with an alibi for the murders
-someone without an alibi
-one of the victims themselves
-someone not even on the alibi radar (Kinzo, Kyrie, that guy from Rosa’s backstory, etc. literally any person that’s not even supposed to be around)

Mostly important cause… why even shoot the gun?
If you have no alibi anyway, there doesn’t seem to be any reason to do that.
Same if you’re a complete phantom.
Making people second-guess Natsuhi’s time of death didn’t really seem to accomplish much.

For the victims, Natsuhi couldn’t have moved the gun back.
Jessica could have fired it, but then things get kind of weird. (how did she strangle herself/break the window)

Meaning… people with alibi seem to be the only potential culprits with a decent enough reason to have that gun go off somewhere.
At least, unless there’s some reasoning that I’m not seeing, or the scheme for framing Krauss was so c o m p l e x that there are just weird parts like this. Of course, people with alibi are also the only ones that couldn’t possibly have fired the gun, so good times. :gohda:

3 Likes

dinner’s turning out great rune

1 Like