Danganronpa Series General Discussion

I just finished V3 myself.

So I finished Danganronpa V3, and unlike most people I actually enjoyed the big twist/gimmick of the story.While it was predictable (seriously I predicted this in the prologue due to the narration of the characters, and the obvious thematic I still think it was good. It isnā€™t the first time Iā€™ve seen a murder mystery question audiences of murder mysteries (that goes to Umineko, which did it better and more meaningfully), but it was still well done. The individual murders in V3 were better thanthan the ones in DR1, but not as good as the ones in DR2. The same applies to the characters. So while V3 ultimately isnā€™t something particularity incredible, it at least was an enjoyable experience and a fitting end to the Danganronpa franchise.

Something that might be fun to do is, after the Investigation finishes but before the Class Trial starts (for each class trial, so if there does exist a chapter where there isnā€™t a class trial, we can skip it. Though that hasnā€™t been the case for any chapters in the previous games, so take that as you will), we could post our thoughts and theories. In clearly marked spoilers, of course! That would give some fun discussion. We may want to move it to its own thread, but for now, Iā€™ll just post my first one below.

Before First Class Trial: Post Investigation Notes (itā€™s a lot!)

A LOCKED ROOM MURDER! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously, Iā€™ve been hoping for a nice locked room murder, where the problem isnā€™t the abundance of theories, but their sparsity. This is a nice case, given some assumptions.

So, first of all: assumptions. Iā€™m assuming there do not exist any hidden passages to the library; the two doors and the air vent are the only entrances and exits. Also assuming that the Monokuma File is stating the truth and the victim is really dead and who it says they are. Also assuming the murderer must be one of the sixteen humans in the cast so far. Also assuming it was not suicide, given the lack of any kind of reason for it to be. Also assuming reliable narration from the game (i.e. Kaede isnā€™t lying about being there the whole time, et cetera). There are theories for Kaede, but Iā€™ll skip those. I find them unlikely.

Now, about the library entrances and exits, we can assume no one could have entered the library through the air vent. I also donā€™t believe itā€™s likely they could have exited from the air vent, but there might be a possibility from when Kaede left the room. Regarding the cameras, then, there exist four possibilities: one, the cameras are unreliable (meaning the film could be tampered with, motion sensors evaded, etc.) so someone could have snuck in without being in a picture; else, the cameras are reliable and, thus: two, the culprit existed inside the library before the cameras were set; three, the culprit never existed in the library to begin with, committing the murder remotely; or four, the culprit was indeed captured by the camera and is in the pictures. Iā€™ll ignore the first possibility for now, in favor of stronger locked rooms.

Re: 2: itā€™s possible that they could have hidden in the air vent, but Kaede did check it before placing the cameras. So Iā€™d be surprised if someone pulled that off. Not to mention itā€™d have to be one of the two with no alibis (that, or people saw them when they werenā€™t there/were lying, which I find unlikely for large groups, so that possibility will be ignored). For now, weā€™ll consider this ā€œa stretchā€ and ignore it.

Re: 3: this would imply a remote murder. This seems to only be possible by ā€œshot-puttingā€ the ball from outside the room into the victimā€™s head from behind. Meaning: itā€™d likely be someone in the A/V room (Gonta) using a pole (the rolled up projector screen) to hit the shot-put ball through the A/V door crack (mentioned to be large enough only to pass such a thing through). This would also require a large amount of force, which Gonta could provide.

The above theory is certainly plausible, so it wonā€™t be excluded, but I honestly feel another theory as more likely, both thematically and in-story. Re: 4: Shuichi is captured by the pictures. Shuichi also has his lone word to attest to certain elements of the story: he checked the victimā€™s Monopad and said there was nothing incriminating; he hinted at the pole/A/V door murder theory; he had Kaede disable the alarm while he went to check the basement when the group of 7 went down; he purposefully established both a mostly solid alibi and a position of trust among the group, especially with Kaede; he had access to Kaedeā€™s backpack, if I recall correctly, which may have had a shot-put ball in it (I recall her picking up one in the warehouse to test the weight, followed by ā€˜I then put everything I was holding into my backpackā€™, meaning it may have ended up there as wellā€™. Though that does seem odd, given how much the ball weighs, that she would put it in there anyway); heā€™s in the perfect position to provide a patsy (Gonta in the A/V room; maybe even Kaede with the shot-put ball or something similar); and the cameras did, in fact, pick up his image. Furthermore, those are the cameras he set up himself. Kaede only set one up, which was the hidden camera super taped down that also had the flash on (I believe, given how the victim noticed it and was visibly brightened in the photos). The other two could have been set up but not activated by Shuichi, and thus would allow him to sneak in and activate them, then hiding (say, in the vent; since he knows how Kaede set up the books, he could disassemble them, hide, murder, reassemble, and escape). Then the victim enters through the rear door. The BGM music is loud at this point, making it difficult for the victim to hear even the loud noises of Shuichi exiting the grate (assuming the rest of the library wasnā€™t searched by the victim first; he probably would have, necessitating the better hiding spot). Shuichi kills him. He can hide from the camera given that he knows of the cameraā€™s existence. He murders, then reaches up to disable the rear door camera (queue photo), and then escapes through said rear door, heading up to meet with Kaede. Then everything else proceeds as normal. One counterpoint: door is opened by the killer, but the photo of Shuichi reclaiming the camera has the door closed. How could he have closed the door before another photo is taken? This problem exists regardless, though, since even if Shuichi didnā€™t disable the camera, someone would have had to close the door and be photographed. This is likely the victim who closed it then. (That would also be a count of evidence against the Gonta A/V door theory.)

Anyway, I could probably talk more minute details, but Iā€™m tired of this much thinking for just one case, haha. This is enough! Letā€™s go find out how the trial introduces nine new pieces of testimony that contradict all my theories.

Another piece of evidence for the theory re: 4: the hidden door camera had the flash on, even though Kaede specifically sought to disable the flash. Possibly points to the cameraā€™s flash being re-enabled (Kaede being clumsy and not deactivating it is possible too); that would imply itā€™s done by someone who knows of its existence (Shuichi). Though whether it could have been done without causing it to take a picture is another question.

I wonā€™t be spoiling it with whether I was right, wrong, or actually the author in disguise. :cackle:

Post your own thoughts too! Iā€™ll continue this, probably, unless no one else does it lol

2 Likes

For your third theory :

While it is possible for Gonta to shoot the shot ball from the A/V room, remember that according to the pictures Rantaro had already opened the bookcase, and the bookcase opens towards the A/V room. So wouldnā€™t the shot ball be blocked by the bookcase and not kill Rantaro? If Rantaro was killed before the bookcase opened, then how did Shuichi/Kaede see the bookcase close back when they entered the room? Naturally if Gonta shot the ball after the book case opened and closed back, Shuichi/Kaeda would have saw the ball whiz by

1 Like

True; yet another reason I find the theory unlikely, along with the problem of how the rear door was closed without any picture being taken, since the door swings inward. Couldnā€™t have happened by gravity, since that wouldnā€™t give Gonta enough time to shoot the ball before the victim opened the hidden door and approached the hidden camera.

Thereā€™s other things to comment on, too, but I think the case is well enough made for the last option mentioned. Perhaps Iā€™ll regret not giving it more thought later, haha. But seems good enough for now.

Posting our pre-trial theories here sounds like a fun idea, so Iā€™ll be doing that when I get to the fourth class trial. I might as well also write here what I remember about my theories regarding the murders in the first three chapters, so here I go. I wonā€™t be mentioning whether I was correct or not, though I suppose nobody who hasnā€™t played through the trials will read these.

Chapter 1:

Shuichi is the culprit. Assuming the cameras are reliable, the murder had to be done remotely, as the cameras captured only one opening/closing cycle of the hidden door, and the door was closing as Kaede and Shuichi rushed to the scene. This means that Rantaro died just mere seconds before they opened the door. Gonta could not be the killer because his line of sight to Rantaro was blocked by the hidden door being open. This means that either a trap was set, or Rantaro committed suicide. However, the hidden door camera had its flash on. This implies a trap, since Shuichi said heā€™d turn off the flashes from the cameras, meaning it was deliberately left on. As for why he would do this, the trap had to capture the victimā€™s attention to move him into the correct position.

It is not impossible for Rantaro to fiddle with the camera flash just to screw with people, but that seems highly unlikely. So, trap. Also, the shelf right in front of Rantaro suspiciously had books missing from the top. Our culprit couldā€™ve set the ball there and then rigged some system to give it a nudge, perhaps using those quadrocopter things in the warehouse to allow remote triggering of the trap. Nobody but Shuichi (or Kaede, I suppose) couldā€™ve set this trap, since the cameras would have captured them entering the room. However, this problem can be circumvented by Shuichi alone. When he momentarily left the classroom where he was waiting with Kaede, he could enter the library, allow their picture to be taken, simply replace the film, have a picture of their face taken, and run outside during the camera picture delay. Since only single pictures of each group of people arriving in the room were taken, there obviously is some delay between pictures.

Then, Shuichi would just obfuscate the order of the pictures and claim that the picture taken when he was leaving the room after setting the trap was taken when he was removing the cameras. Monophanie surprisingly grabbed the cameras and developed the photos instead of Shuichi, but thatā€™s not a problem - she only said that she gave back all the pictures taken by the camera, not that she gave them back in the correct order.

There are some unlikely ways in which someone else, such as Miu, could have used the same plan, but those seem way less likely than Shuichi. However, I donā€™t quite know how to argue that Kaede is innocent. Iā€™m pretty sure sheā€™ll be accused in the trial, but the Shuichi culprit theory works pretty much equally well with Kaede, and I canā€™t find any solid argument for why Kaede couldnā€™t have done it. As for Shuichiā€™s motive, perhaps he was trying to hit the mastermind. The reason he would not use the First Blood perk would be because either he didnā€™t trust the mastermind to actually allow him to go free, or he wanted to use the trial to figure out the mastermind. In any case, he either wants everyone dead, or heā€™s ready to die for his plan, whatever it might be.

As for my considerably shorter thoughts for the second caseā€¦

I donā€™t really know who the culprit is, but Ryoma was killed in advance, probably during nighttime, by being drowned in the sink in his study. Then, the cable was used to transport the body from the lab window to the gym window, after which the body was placed into the piranha container. The square glass pane was used to separate Ryomaā€™s body from the fish. And thatā€™s pretty much it. The timing of whatever happened when is a bit loose.

Suspects that seem the most likely include Angie, Himiko, Kirumi and Kaito. Though Iā€™d be willing to strike Kaito off the list just because of how telegraphed it was by the narration going all ā€œI trusted Kaito, without knowing how dangerous trust would be in this gameā€¦!ā€ at one point. Angie contributed to the investigation with a helpful piece of information (cramped piranhas), but since that piece of information was pretty obvious, it couldā€™ve just been an attempt to appear useful. Kirumi seems like the most likely person to take drastic action due to a motive video, as sheā€™d probably fulfill a request from her old master to ā€œreturn back to himā€ or somesuch, but the motive videos might as well just be a red herring. The narration about the dangers of trust could refer to Kirumi, but it could also refer to Himikoā€™s trust in Angie. It might also be that someone outside those four is the culprit.

And finally, chapter 3.

Korekiyo murdered both. The murder of Tenko using the seance was obviously planned and prepared in advance, as the floorpiece thing was cut to allow one of the floorboards to be tilted. Since Kokichi stepped through the floor in one of the other similar rooms, it appears the same preparations were done for all three rooms, negating the argument that Kiyo couldnā€™t have done it because he didnā€™t pick the room. The seance was Kiyoā€™s idea and involved such a convoluted process that it isnā€™t reasonable to think anyone else couldā€™ve planned it in advance. It is technically possible that since Kiyo was open about wanting to try the seance out, someone researched it in advance and set up the trap assuming that Kiyo would want to test the seance, but that seems highly unlikely.

As for Angieā€™s murder, it was a coincidence. The dried blood in the floorboard and beneath the seance room can only belong to Angie, unless the culprit cut themselves for whatever reason. This means that Angie was actually attacked in the seance room. As for why Angie would go there, she wanted a candle to burn the Necronomicon with. She happened to come upon the culprit preparing his murder by chance, and the culprit silenced her by striking her on the forehead with the floorboard. This didnā€™t kill her, however - she only fell unconscious. The culprit bandaged the wound with duct tape, and carried her to her lab. There, he finished her off by stabbing her with the sword that was found in the effigy of Kaede.

The locked room was constructed with the effigies. The sword stabbed into the Kaede effigy was used to lock the sliding lock by rotating the effigy and quickly escaping the room, causing the sword to hit the lock and close it. It is a bit improbable, but since the murder happened at night, Kiyo would have had ample time to try it out until it works. The other effigies were hung from the ceiling to conceal the trick.

As for how Tenko was killedā€¦ dunno, really. The blood on the white sheet does not have a cage pattern on it, suggesting that it was prepared in advance instead of it being Tenkoā€™s blood. That would make it Angieā€™s blood, which also suggests the culprit was the same for both of the murders. In any case, I canā€™t really think of a reasonable way the murder happened. My best theory is that the loose floorboard was used to have Tenko fall off-balance, turning to the side and thus getting her neck close to the cage wall, allowing Kiyo to lift the white sheet and strike Tenko with the sickle through the cage, but that doesnā€™t sound too reasonable to me. How would the culprit even trigger the floorboard yielding under Tenko at the desired moment, anyway? I also canā€™t really explain Kiyoā€™s motive for killing two people, when one would be enough and the coincidental murder of Angie would be much more difficult to solve than Tenkoā€™s highly planned death.

Additional post-trial explanation for why I failed to explain a certain thing: For whatever reason, I had thought that the cut part of the floor was under Tenko so that the see-saw would work the other way around and make Tenko fall down, instead of the cut part being outside the cage and making Tenko rise up. Under the floorboards, it is clearly shown that the cut part is not on the same side where the bloodstain is, so I donā€™t have any excuse for this mistake. If I had understood the orientation of the see-saw, then I might have figured out the entire case in advance (well, except for the culpritā€™s motive).

1 Like

Just finished the first trial and post-trial. My thoughts (heavy spoilers up through the end of the first trial):

Three things to note: first of all, it seems it was a mistake not to take the trial seriously. My decision to ignore the possibility of unreliable narration was, ultimately, due to a lack of faith it would be feasible for the game. I never imagined theyā€™d actually program the game to change main characters, so I didnā€™t consider it, even though there were numerous hints. I just interpreted them as being convenient for Shuichi and the ā€˜characteristic unluckiness/coincidencesā€™ that tend to follow main characters. This is the kind of twist I expected to happen during the last chapter, not the first. Man. Iā€™m a bit disappointed I shut that idea down before giving it thought. This wouldā€™ve been a real fun problem to think about otherwise.

Second: theyā€™ll even kill the best girl when sheā€™s the MC. Danganronpa is brutal lol. The feels.

Third: what a fantastic thematic entrance to the story. Admitted, the ā€œUltimate Huntā€ mentioned in the prologue practically paints a whole story-line, just from the history of the series. Scenes like these - themes like these - raise unasked questions in the reader; Iā€™m very curious to know what answer they give by the end.

Ah screw it im caving into buying v3.

RIP Ā£50

Well, I said I would write down my pre-trial thoughts for chapter 4ā€¦ They just turned out a bit longer than I expected. Writing down your thoughts is a great way to move forwards in your thinking, so I opened notepad and started typing away. Hereā€™s what I wrote down, in case anyone is interested enough to actually read through that wall of text that I didnā€™t bother to edit:

Miu was planning a murder. Many reliable pieces of evidence support this. The target seemed to be Kokichi. However, somehow Miu ended up dying instead.

Miuā€™s death happened around the time of the loud crashing sound was heard. Since the people inside the chapel described the sound as something crashing into the chapel, I would expect this noise to come from Miu crashing into the chapel wall, dying from the impact. As for how she crashed into the wall, she slid from the snowy roof of the mansion on the lattice that was found near the chapel. She picked up enough horizontal speed to crash into the chapel, though the vertical drop was what killed her, Iā€™d assume.

Oh, the wall of the map loops. This is suggested by the geography and proven by the signboard floating in the river, and Miuā€™s additional wall appearing in two places. This begs the question of how loading zones work, however. If loading actually happens in the middle of the map, one would expect it is impossible to walk through the edge of the map to the other side of the loading area without encountering a loading screen. So, I suppose one could conclude that there is a loading line where Miuā€™s wall is, as well.

Miu being sighted on the mansion side is not a problem because Miu couldā€™ve simply looped to the other side, but Keeboā€™s voice being heard on the mansion side does present a problem, as the loading line should block all sound. The voice they heard was probably from when Keebo found the body. This issue could be resolved with Glitch X caused by mixing the headset cords. We know someone had an avatar glitch, so it might as well be Keebo. The glitch could have caused Keebo to not unload from the mansion zone when he left it through the loading area, causing his voice to still be heard in that region. The coordinate data of his avatar would cause him to still be a bit far from the mansion, meaning only a loud shout would actually be heard in the mansion. No other unusual occurrence comes to mind that could be explained with a glitch, so Iā€™d consider it likely that this is what the glitch was about.

Miu invited Kokichi to meet her on the top of the mansion roof. To this end, she either told Kokichi to make sure Kaito was investigating the roof and logged him out with the phone herself (unlikely, because Kaito could have refused and someone else could have been on the roof instead), or she gave Kokichi the phone and had him remove the person on the roof. Or, Kaito being on the roof was never a part of Miuā€™s plan.

Speaking of Miuā€™s plan, what exactly was her master plan? Killing Kokichi on the mansion roof after removing the bridge to give herself the perfect alibi. Howeverā€¦ why the mansion roof? Would it not be easier to tell Kokichi to meet her near the looping boundary to minimize the risk of her being spotted? I canā€™t think of anything about the roof in particular that would make Miu want to commit the murder there. Perhaps, once again, this was Kokichiā€™s idea. He insisted they meet on the mansion roof, and Miu complied.

I suppose that theory requires Kokichi to have the phone. Since Miuā€™s objective was to kill Kokichi, the next time they met after Kokichi left the chapel, they met on the roof, as otherwise Miu wouldā€™ve just killed Kokichi. Thus, Kokichi had no way of informing Miu that Kaito was on the roof. Someone had to log Kaito off before the meeting could take place, however. As only Kokichi wouldā€™ve known of Kaito being on the roof, it would have to be him. However, if Miuā€™s plan was to kill Kokichi, thereā€™d be no point in giving him the red phone.

The red phone itself is quite strange. It doesnā€™t seem necessary for Miuā€™s murder plan, unless she wanted to frame someone, I guess. Why would it even exist, let alone be in Kokichiā€™s possession? One far-fetched possibility is that the motive card given by Monokuma was actually this item for the killing game simulator. So, it could be the red phone was actually an unknown factor to Miu. This seems a bit unfair, though, since no actual evidence points to this being the case.

In any case, setting aside the matter of Kaitoā€™s disappearance for the moment, Kokichi and Miu wouldā€™ve met on the roof. I suppose Miu couldā€™ve climbed to the top using the unbreakable toilet paper? I wonder if the avatars have enough physical strength for that. Then, somehow, Kokichi managed to kill Miu. This, too, could be explained with the motive card being some kind of god mode in the simulation or whatever, but as no evidence points to that being the case, once again, feels unfair. One other possibility is that it was Kokichiā€™s avatar that was all glitched up, and Miuā€™s paralyzing touch thus didnā€™t work. Kokichi then somehow managed to overpower her, perhaps stealing the hammer and striking her in the head, and launched her off to the other side with the lattice as an improvised sled.

I suppose Kokichi wanted to frame Kaito for the crime, which is why he suggested he take the roof, and logged him out. Likewise, he probably placed the unused bottle of poison on his chair to badly frame himself for the crime. If someone seriously wanted to frame him, they wouldā€™ve used a poison that actually fit the condition of the corpse, suggesting the attempt to frame him was never intended to succeed.

Iā€™ve also entertained the thought of Miuā€™s plan actually being to convince Kokichi that they would cooperate to kill Kaito, which would explain the phone thing and all. Miu, being an idiot who easily folds under pressure, couldā€™ve been stupid enough to think Kokichi would fall for it. Even if that wasnā€™t true, she wouldā€™ve had to just trust Kokichi would do as they agreed so that she could kill her. In any case, Iā€™m not too confident in the cooperation theory, but it is something to keep in mind.

There are a number of weak points in the theories above and there are a couple of curious things unexplained - what Miu was doing during the two minutes it took her to log in after everyone else (plant the poison on Kokichiā€™s chair? Why?), why was Miuā€™s corpse grasping her neck (was she actually strangled? Shouldnā€™t the body remain unmoving during the simulation, anyway? Does this mean Miu didnā€™t actually die in the simulationā€¦?), why was the toilet paper left on the outside neatly rolled, and why would Kokichi agree to anything proposed by Miu since she was obviously planning a murder (maybe he really did have admin rights or something?).

However, this is getting long enough already and I donā€™t have an endless amount of time to sink into pondering these questions, so I might as well continue to the class trial. Iā€™m a bit worried about how obvious the idea of Kokichi killing Miu is, but I donā€™t really have a culprit theory for anyone else, though I do have to confess I didnā€™t really even try to think of one.

2 Likes

The game just had a Bane quote. Unless Batman: The Dark Knight Rises memes are well known in Japan, Iā€™d guess itā€™s a localization choice. Or just coincidence?

Still, I laughed a lot.

Well, itā€™s time for the chapter 5 class trial. My theories are still half-baked, but if I want to get it done today, I have to begin now, so Iā€™ll just briefly write a short version of my thoughts here and proceed.

First off, since Monokuma said no rules are being broken, yet neither Kokichi nor Kaito appears to be attending the class trial, I will assume both dead as the rules state all surviving students must participate in the class trials. Both corpses are in the hydraulic press. This leads me to two main theories.

First, the Maki culprit theory. The crossbow wounds suggest that a third party with a crossbow was involved in the case, as it seems highly unlikely Kaito and Kokichi wouldā€™ve shot each other dead with the crossbows and then somehow ended up crushing themselves in the hydraulic press. Unless Kaito taught someone else to assemble the crossbows, Maki is the only possible culprit in this scenario. The way I envisioned this happening is Maki and Kaito agreeing on killing Kokichi with crossbows, Kaito shooting at him inside the toilet and Maki shooting at him through the window. After Kokichi died, Kaito gave Maki the hangar alarm remote through the window, and Maki shot him in the arm as he did so. The lethality of the arrows was improved with the use of poison.

Then, Maki simply went inside, crushed both corpses with the hydraulic press, and left. However, this leaves a number of issues unanswered. Why was there a bottle of possibly poison in the toilet? If Maki used it, why not dispose of it? Who drove the Exisal into the hangar? It is possible Maki entered the hangar with the Exisal, I suppose, though I like the idea of shooting through the window. Why was Himiko the one Keebo saw bring a crossbow bag to Kaito? In any case, ever since I realized the localization kept the nickname Harumaki as the somewhat clunky Maki Roll, Iā€™ve suspected Maki will be executed and turned into a comestible like Mondo became delicious butter.

The culprit could be someone else, such as Himiko, if we assume Kaito taught them to use the crossbow, but that doesnā€™t seem as likely to me.

Anyhowā€¦ the second theory is more Chapter 5 -like. Yes indeed, it is the suicide theory. An electrobomb disabled the safety sensor of the hydraulic press, and either Kaito or Kokichi crushed himself with it, along with his victimā€™s corpse. As twisted as it may be, I consider Kaito the more probable culprit. Kaito couldā€™ve surprised Kokichi with the crossbow he got from Himiko, and then shot himself in the arm to frame himself as the victim. With Kokichi, the crossbow holes in the coats are less easy to explain, as it would require a lot of screwing around with the coats with a crossbow that he found by coincidence, all to confuse the investigation which would be plenty confusing already.

A number of the same issues from the Maki theory linger in this one, along with one major extra problem. The various pieces of evidence such as the arrows and the bottle of poison just being left there in the toilet could be explained by the culprit being unable to dispose of them any better since heā€™d be extraordinarily dead. However, thereā€™s the issue of the Exisal, again. I suppose some random couldā€™ve just driven it inside, finding the scene of crime in the process, but keeping quiet about it. Alternatively, the Exisal driving could have happened before the crime happened, and Kokichi wouldā€™ve just let them leave, I guess? Strange. One would think if someone barged in with an Exisal, theyā€™d do so to kill Kokichi.

However, the main issue is of course the power cord of the hydraulic press being cut. I suppose it would not be completely impossible to arrange it to happen posthumously, but I canā€™t see any evidence suggesting this was the case. It could theoretically have been an accident, with the Exisal cutting it by coincidence when someone drove it into the hangar. That, or someone was in in Kaitoā€™s suicide plan and agreed theyā€™d cut the wire after the deed was done. Perhaps this hypothetical accomplice couldā€™ve been the one who drove in with the Exisal, for this very purpose.

In any case, those two theories are the best Iā€™ve got for now, and I really want to play through the class trial today, so Iā€™ll leave it at that. However, a thing I want to point out is that the blood on the label in the poison bottle seems to highly deliberately conceal everything except the word ā€œpoisonā€, suggesting the appearance of the label is meant to mislead the investigation. Perhaps the bottle is not a bottle of poison, but a bottle of antidote, with the label reading something like ā€œantidote for X poisonā€? However, I couldnā€™t think of any way to tie that possibility into any theory about the murder.

Time to find if I hit the mark with anything. My theories leave some things unexplained to an uncomfortable degree, but I still feel pretty optimistic.

I just donā€™t get why in your Maki culprit theory.

Maki would shoot Kaito in the arm. What would be the motive here?

Answering the question aboveā€¦

That is a fair observation that I didnā€™t think about in that much detail, but I figured it made enough sense in the ā€œMaki shoots people through the windowā€ -theory, as the arrows were poisoned and thus a shot to the arm would be equally lethal as a direct hit somewhere else. Kaito sticking his hand through the window to give her the remote would give her the perfect opportunity to shoot him, as she couldnā€™t shoot before Kaito gives him the remote, since that would probably make Kaito not give her the remote at all. She couldā€™ve shot Kaito after he had given the remote, but why wait when sheā€™d have the perfect opportunity while Kaitoā€™s arm was outside the window.

However, the Exisal being inside suggested that the whole window shooting scenario never really happened, which makes Kaito being shot in the arm a bit less likely. However, it is still reasonable. If Maki drove the Exisal to the hangar and then shot Kokichi, and this was planned by Kaito and Maki in advance, Kaito would lower his guard. Then, Maki could just take whatever opportunity she would get to shoot Kaito. She wouldnā€™t shoot him from the front, as that could alert Kaito and potentially allow him to react. So, she waited a moment, and shot him when Kaito was facing to the side, hitting him in the arm. Sure, she couldā€™ve waited until she has a chance to hit him square in the back, but itā€™s not that unreasonable to take an opportunity to hit him in the arm.

Also, it is possible she wanted to hit Kaito in the arm in order for his coat sleeve sticking from the press to have a bloody hole in it, making it clear that Kaito was attacked.

Even putting aside all that

Why would Maki specifically want to kill Kaito of all people? Given their relationship, it is odd to say the least. Plus, as you said, if she brought the Exisal into the hangar, you would think she would just use that instead. Unless, of course, she totally planned to and something unexpected happned was when she was inside.

Well, I never thought that Maki wanted to kill Kaito specifically. I figured that she wanted to create a murder that would be difficult to solve, and the situation with Kokichi and Kaito gave her the opportunity to do so. If Kokichi had taken someone else captive, sheā€™d have killed that person and Kokichi instead.

Sure, Kaito and Maki had a relationship in which one would not expect Maki to murder him, but since chapters 2 and 3 pulled very extreme motivations out of nowhere, I figured that could be the case here as well. After all, Maki used a flashback light, who knows what she actually saw, and what kind of motivation that could give her to commit murder.

Regarding the Exisal thing, I thought that Kokichi could use an Electrobomb to disable the Exisals if someone attacked him with one. However, the Electrobomb only affects sensors and communications, so it would not actually prevent someone from piloting an Exisal from the inside. Still, not using the Exisal can be explained. Killing someone with an Exisal would be very messy, and if she wanted to do her double murder with both corpses crushed in the hydraulic press, sheā€™d want to kill Kokichi in a way that wouldnā€™t leave obvious traces behind.

Well, itā€™s time for the final class trial. The investigation confirmed or heavily suggested a number of things I was already suspecting, so there isnā€™t that much to elaborate on. Still, some quick and lazy final thoughts before I proceed to the trial.

The flashback light memories are fake. One might think this extends only to the truth about the outside world (which is probably nowhere near as destroyed as it would seem - the whole meteorite thing might be false. The kid at the beginning of the chapter was probably watching this very killing game, or a previous iteration), but I suspect it goes beyond that. The identities of the participants themselves are not what they remember. In the very beginning of the game, they were ā€œnormal high-school studentsā€ who awakened to their Ultimate talent with a flashback light. It will turn out that they really were just normal students whose minds were overwritten with memories of the Ultimate students. This is how the killing game is eternal - the lives of the participants are recycled through new hosts for their memories. This was foreshadowed by the reappearance of the Monokubs at the end of chapter 5, and Monokuma musing about how amazing it is to be able to recycle life, though the new Monokubs were ā€œreturned to factory settingsā€, much like new host for an Ultimateā€™s identity would not remember the specifics of a particular class trial. This was how the resurrection with the Necronomicon would have worked.

The mastermind is tied to Kaede Akamatsu, either being Kaede herself or her sister. Nothing would be more despair-inducing than Kaede being the mastermind, so Iā€™ve been entertaining the thought for a while. With a twin sister existing, Kaede could have pulled off a twin-switch for her execution, and still be alive. I also suspect Tsumugi is her accomplice. She has had much less spotlight than anyone else in the surviving cast, Shuichi responded with suspicious ellipses when Maki said that this class trial would be better since they can all definitely work together against Monokuma. Some of Tsumugiā€™s behaviour feels a bit unsettling. Something about her just feels off.

After the first trial, I briefly wondered if the murder would be revisited, since Rantaro is obviously a super-shady plot-relevant character. And here we are. However, I canā€™t really make much out of the new evidence. Why would there be a second shot-put ball? Ah. Twin-switch. Now I understand. I literally just thought of that as I wrote those words. Yes, the second shot-put ball proves that a twin-switch happened. And it happened between Kaede grabbing the ball and the end of the stakeout. When exactly did it happen, and what does this imply for the first murder? Nothing major that I can think of right now. I canā€™t think of a scenario in which anything meaningful would change about how the murder happened, though the evidence about the secret door implies that there should be some trick. If only there was a way to prove that the one who actually murdered Rantaro is not the one who was executed.

I went to grab my laundry from the washing machine, and one detail to Rantaroā€™s death suddenly became clear. Rantaro was holding the Survivor Perk Monopad, but the one discovered was a normal Monopad. This means that one of the twins was waiting inside the hidden room, opened the door from the inside, switched the monopad for a normal monopad, and retreated back to the hidden room while the door was still open. What does this tell us? At least this makes it clear that the murder or Rantaro was a calculated plan involving both sisters moving in sync, instead of just one sister acting on their own. Though I suppose the twin-switch already more or less confirmed that. I feel like thereā€™s more to discover by pondering exactly why a twin-switch was even necessary and other assorted details, but once again, if I want to get the class trial done today, I canā€™t spend time pondering this anymore.

I suppose thatā€™s what I will be going with for the last trial. There will undoubtedly be a lot more to everything than what I wrote there, but Iā€™ll leave that for the class trial.

1 Like

22359229_10214240574871954_1861878633_n

Is shitposting allowed?

So I just finished chapter 1 yesterday and Oh yay another makato-esque main character. I was really liking Kaede as a main character as wellā€¦

I finished it. I have a lot to say.

But thatā€™s all Iā€™ll say.

For now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Without looking at any other replies to this topic, Iā€™m gonna share some deductions here before I enter the first class trial.

Gonta is the obvious suspect, which leads me to conclude he was framed.

Itā€™s possible that Kiibo was hiding inside the room for a long period of time and got in through the vents before Kaeda and Shuichi entered that classroom. He then made it look like he entered with the other classmates. Note his position in the photo: Heā€™s standing by the wall. Might be looking into it too much but itā€™s very possible he did it.

However, this case gets blown open if we assume that Shuichi tampered with the sensors BEFORE arriving with Kaeda, specifically when he left on his own to investigate the others. The fact that he was never mentioned by anyone elseā€™s testimony is very suspicious and leads me to believe he left for the library. Butā€¦ The photos donā€™t really allow for that. Is it possible he somehow tampered with the cameras and removed an incriminating photo where he entered the room? I wonā€™t deny the possibility. If so, this case gets a lot more complicated.

Were they killed from inside or outside the room? Both are possible, but thereā€™s too many variables to accurately determine a killer from just this info. Were the cameras and sensors tampered with?

My gut is telling me the killer is Kiibo, but itā€™s also possible Ouma or Shuichi did it, or maybe even Tsumugi. The time of death couldā€™ve been much earlier than we think, but then weā€™d need someone else to open the door, as we see it closing when Kaede is arriving. Hmmā€¦

Guess weā€™ll see how this turns outā€¦

If we assume the cameras and sensors werenā€™t tampered with, then itā€™s also possible someone was hiding in the vent the whole time, and from atop the bookcase, threw the shot put ball so it landed on Rantaroā€™s death, retreating back into the vent and entering the room along with everyone else. Suspects for this are Kiibo, Ouma, maybe Tsumugiā€¦

Update: Okay fuck I never expected that. I kept thinking it would be interesting if the player character ever committed a crime, but I dismissed it as an inviolable rule of the DR series that it couldnā€™t happen.

What I love is that the narration was STILL reliable, despite my character committing the murder. Thatā€™s amazing writing. It all clicked when I realised the possibility, but wowā€¦

I think the contrary actually, the fact that the narration is reliable whereas the character had murderous intent was kind of weird in my opinion. It gives the impression that this twist was only here to surprises us and serves the story, but in term of gameplay mechanic, it was just impossible to find that Kaede was the murderer ( the only hints that Shuichi explains later are way too subtile ). The best way to handle this imo would have been to also control Shuichi who would notice some things, but here maybe it would have been too easy to understand that Kaede was the culpirt. Anyways I liked the idea to turn our character into a murderer, but the execution gave me the impression that the game " cheated ". I donā€™t mind crimes impossible to solve ( CF Chapter 5 of DR2 ) but here I think it wasnā€™t handle too well.