Danganronpa Series General Discussion

Actually, when you think about it, the parallels were there. You’ve seen all instruments that were a part of the murder before (the ball bearing, the camera). It was easy to figure out that the murder was committed from outside by dropping the ball on Rantaro’s head. From there the only damning connection left to make is that if the ball was dropped from the vent, it could’ve rolled along the top of the bookcases (which Kaede organized!). The only people who could reasonably have dropped the ball down there were Kaede or Shuichi and Shuichi was innocent (although I can give you that you could’ve pinned Shuichi down and gotten stuck).

This is true for a lot of Danganronpa cases, but it’s usually impossible given pre-trial information to prove someone’s a culprit; you can usually come up with the correct theory, but it’d be one among many viable ones. Actually proving it is usually not possible until the trial itself begins and you get more information you didn’t have (such as the ‘camera intervals’ in DRV3 trial 1).

1 Like

That twist at the end was genius.

V3 is probably the best Dangan title thus far. They really escalated the meta way past the franchise’s standards.

Dangan Ronpa is near and dear to my heart, almost as much as Umineko. After Umineko’s popularity was dwindling (least on Steam), I stumbled on the SA LP and have been enthralled with it ever since. I feel like its themes and some of the character arcs resonated well with Umineko’s, and myself as well.

I’m way excited to get my hands on V3, but Mario Odyssey took precedence on a sixty dollar purchase, and now I’m rereading Umineko so it’ll have to wait- Bug man is probably my favorite character just from design alone though!

Not really, I 100 percent suspected Kaeda as a possible culprit going in blind. My main suspects were her and Suichi simply b/c of what they had access to /where they were in the library. In fact, it became more obvious to me when Kaeda was sure that Suichi wasn’t the culprt and there were little things in the class trial that made me suspect her more. It was a completely fair mystery.

1 Like

I actually ended up catching onto it being her around when the investigation started. But then again, that could’ve just been me recognizing unreliable narration when I see it. There were a lot of points while they were setting up those cameras where you could tell something was up. By the time she’s giving Shuichi that speech in the elevator, my suspicions were pretty much confirmed.

In any case, switching to Shuichi at points before the reveal would’ve given it away too soon and I feel like it wouldn’t have really worked for most people. Even if one had trouble seeing through the entire trick because of the unreliable narration, I found the twist to be fun. And honestly, that’s something I personally appreciate far more than complete fair play.

I’m at case 3 so this isn’t an issue for me, but maybe lay some spoiler tags here? Like, y’know, the same way we don’t talk about Kinzo and episode 4 just in case, the same thing kinda applies here…

2 Likes

Did anybody else think the whole ambiguity about whether Tsumugi was lying to the cast or not was kind of pointless? It felt like a cheap way to “inject” speculation discussion into something that a strong story wouldn’t bother leaving ambiguous. That was probably my biggest gripe with the ending really.

2 Likes

V3 Finale Spoilers.

I have never felt so conflicted about ending to a video-game/anime in my life. I understood the message that Kodaka was trying to convey but man how I feel disappointed, especially as this will be the final Danganronpa at least for a few years. It’s like he tried to recreate the insanity and greatness of Danganronpa 2’s final chapter but completely fell short

Ooo came up with a better explanation for V3: (Full Umi,Dr and Lost spoilers)

If Danganronpa 2, Umineko’s and Lost’s ending tried to have a 3 parent baby but something went horribly wrong

2 Likes

I think we all know what the best ost in danganronpa history is everyone:

(Jokes aside I love this song)

1 Like

It kinda made the whole thing pointless to me. It felt like they were going “Ahah, we were just kidding. Your waifu Kirigiri is still canon. Maybe. Don’t worry guys.” Ultimately, I don’t think there is one truth and I don’t care much for DR’s main story, but meh.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I think sticking to one of the two ideas would’ve been a much stronger, albeit still controversial ending. It just feels so wishy-washy. I guess that’s true though, the appeal of DR for me has always been the fun cases, the overarching mystery/plot/twists just disregard all the rules of what make a good mystery story anyway.

2 Likes