Doki Doki Literature Club Discussion and Best Girl Poll (Spoilers)

Alright so, does anyone have anything they’d like to bring up to get discussion going?

What does everyone think of this theory?

The first thing I remembered when I finished reading DDLC was Umineko, I even made a wallpaper for my ultrawide monitor. Best girl: Monika.

3 Likes

1 Like

I’m interested in the fact that a lot of people tend to call DDLC a meme game. And I would like to know why? Anyway Yuri is best girl.

@Kuni
It just seems to be a buzzword used in disdain because it got really popular. It doesn’t matter if it isn’t unique or has flaws, a lot of people really enjoyed playing it and for plenty it’s their first visual novel. Some might avoid it because of the popularity and some people didn’t enjoy it as much as others did so it seems overrated.
I read it a week or two after it was released and got really into it because I went in completely blind, but now that’s pretty much impossible at this point for anyone else since so many are talking about it and spoiling it.

Yeah I got spoiled that Sayori offs herself sadly.

I’m one of those who call it that (thought perhaps I mean it differently from others). I did have quite a bit of fun with the game, but it’s far from something I would consider good. A lot of the second act relies on bizarre shock horror to elicit a reaction. The VN does some cool things, especially with character files and all, but the main plot isn’t original and does suffer from execution issues. It was definitely enjoyable for me, but one factor that did help it was that it was short. It doesn’t spend an excessive amount of time trying to be deeper than it actually is (an issue I have with a different VN MYTH, which does cool stuff but spends 14 hours throwing increasingly bizarre twists and you and having a totally unsatisfactory ending that makes me wonder if the writer even had a coherent vision for the VN. Put simply, it’s fun, it’s great for reactions and memes, it does cool things, but it’s nothing really “special” or deep like some people make it out to be. And that’s okay.

Also, Yuri is the worst girl

2 Likes

I’d say it has to do with the presentation of some of the shocking imagery in the VN, as well as the general trend of reaction YouTube videos of key moments to mess with both the viewer and the player. It’s also bite sized and has some good reaction image fodder for people to make memes out of it, especially considering several scenes are quite hammy and perhaps a bit too absurd at times. Moreover, the characters are generally caricatures of anime stereotypes or subversions of tropes with some edginess thrown on top.The final reason I’d say is that the game spreads through memes, so people often associate the game with the memes before even trying to play the game, let alone play it long enough to start memeing with it.

1 Like