Doki Doki Literature Club Discussion and Best Girl Poll (Spoilers)

As it has made waves in both the VN community and the gaming community we may as well open a discussion thread.

(Also thrown in a best girl poll because why not)

• Sayori
  • Yuri
  • Monika
  • Natsuki

0 voters

1 Like

Why are you making a thread about a meme novel

Meme novels lives matter.

1 Like

ha ha ha ha ha ha

…why exactly would he not?

DDLC was pretty fun. I’d like to see an entire full-length VN using the medium in the way this one did ^^

Also, Monika of course.

2 Likes

It was good. Had some great scenes in it, and I loved some of the poems. And of course I found all the meta and how the game plays with your expectations very interesting. The downside is that it gets quite repetitive with slice-of-life stuff and all the creepy glitches got old pretty quick. And it kinda losses steam in the second part. Also, I was dissapointed that the “who is the culprit” part of the story was too easy to solve. But maybe that’s just not the focal point of this game, I dunno.

For the best girl I am gonna choose Natsuki with Sayori coming the second. Yuri kinda annoyed me, and for Monica I just didn’t care.

Btw, I strongly recommend Game Grumps’ let’s play for DDLC, it’s hilarious at times, and Dan’s reaction to that Sayori scene is priceless.

1 Like

I found it to be very enjoyable. The song was good, and the exploration of the tropes behind the characters was interesting in that we see both the ‘idealized’ version of what you would want to see in a dating sim normally… and then there is a look at what they are like when they are turned to 11. Until I can see a full translation of Ryukishi’s ‘When the Harem Game Ends’ I expect that this is the best deconstruction of a dating simulator I will get.

And thus Zepfur slipped away into the darkness…

1 Like

Just as planned. :cackle::kinzo:
I am grateful for all your hard work. :joyful:

Back on topic, are folks here aware of all the hidden easter egg stuff in the game files, and how it might imply that the DDLC characters will also appear in another game?

Yeah I saw the game theory. If true then even though I’m a complete coward when it comes to horror I’m definitely gonna pick that up.

All the girls from this meme game are intentionally written as awful.

Yep. Even Monika makes a comment about that and says something about how these girls’ characters are completely unrealistic and cannot possibly exist in the real world. Simply put, they are character archetypes.

I played the game straight through in a single sitting, and I was completely invested the entire time.

Natsuki is best girl.

Damn lolicons

2 Likes

Try Totono.

It did the same thing years before.

1 Like

That’s definetely sounds interesting, and oh god the art style is beautiful. Thanks for recommendation!

Except Totono can only be read in Japanese, so that reccomendation isn’t a great one until it gets an english translation.

A lot of VN do meta-twists these days (Or even in the old days), not necessarily in the same way as DDLC, but “It has meta” is starting to become the free space on the VN bingo card.

1 Like

Obviously Monika is best girl. However, Natsuki is a cupcake fanatic, so that’s always a plus to consider. That and she’s like the least insane person that has some mild glitches lol

To be fair, Karifean only asked us to see “an entire full-length VN using the medium in the way this one did”, and not “an entire full-length english (translated if applicable) VN using the medium in the way this one did”.
Totono is exactly that.

The recommendation couldn’t be better (also, since most of the people I know that have SubaHibi profile pics knows good ol’ nihongo, I just assumed it was also the case in here).