Favorite 07th manga adaption artists

Favorite Umineko mangaka

• Kei Natsumi (Legend, Banquet, Twilight)
  • Jirou Suzuki (Turn)
  • Souichirou (Alliance)
  • Taka Aki (End)
  • Hinase Momoyama (Dawn)
  • Eita Mizuno (Requiem)
  • Other (please elaborate)

0 voters

Favorite Higurashi mangaka:

• Karen Suzuragi (Onikakushi, Tsumihoroboshi, Matsuribayashi)
  • Yutori Houjyou (Watanagashi, Meakashi)
  • Jirou Suzuki (Tatarigoroshi)
  • Yoshiki Tonokai (Himatsubushi)
  • Hinase Momoyama (Minagoroshi)
  • Other (please elaborate)

0 voters

I havenā€™t actually read the Umineko manga in its entirety, so I donā€™t really feel qualified to vote on a favorite artistā€¦

With Higurashi itā€™s definitely Momoyama, although I like pretty much all of them.

1 Like

I think we need images of all their cover art for comparison!

I would, but I donā€™t know how to do thumbnails. Or I could just post everything normal sized, but it would make for a huge post.

I wonā€™t vote yet too cause I havenā€™t read any of them in their entirety yet, but I really like Jirou Suzukiā€™s art style thus far. Itā€™s a bit different from the other, more standard styles but I find it very cool and pretty. I really like how vivid and soft it is and how flowy and slender the figures of the characters look. The colours are used well too, they always feel soft and pastel-like even though they may be dark and overall it has a very creative feel. Like I said though, some characters look a bit different with this style and it may take some getting used to but I think itā€™s very, very charming. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Yeah, I feel the same way! A lot of people dislike Suzukiā€™s style, but I think itā€™s really a good fit for the When They Cry series. I love his bold inking, and the way he draws the characters as cute without being too flat or two dimensional. In my opinion, out of all the artists, he does the best job going back and forth between cute slice of life, and nightmarish- the way he draws Beatrice and Rosa, in particular, really makes you furious at them!

1 Like

Even with how wonky Legend looked, I liked Natsumi Keiā€™s art for Banquet and Twilight a lot! Iā€™m also really fond of Requiem and Endā€™s art styles. I know a lot of people in the WTC fandom (mostly on tumblr) donā€™t like Kei Natsumiā€™s style, but I do.

I like Suzurakiā€™s style, it suits the happy moments of Higurashi (and even the over the top parts fit well). Iā€™m also a fan of Onisarashiā€™s style, and it suits the story better than the very non-expressive PS2 sprites.

1 Like

Realy?! I thought everyone loved Kei Natsumi? I thought she was considered THE Umineko artist? When did people start disliking her?

Also, I think one of the reasons the art in Onikakushi and Legend is so wonky compared to later interpretations by the same artists, is because they were actively emulating Ryukishiā€™s style. I might just be off my rocker, but the charactersā€™ faces are far rounder and more bulbous than they were in the later renditions.

2 Likes

I was surprised to find that out, too. And you make a really valid point that I think most of the Umineko and Higurashi tumblr fans (who generally pirate the games as it is) donā€™t consider because itā€™s not about them.

Itā€™s pretty much only the Umineko tumblr fans who dislike Natsumi Kei, and they generally whine like ā€œWHY CANā€™T THE EP5 ARTIST DO ALL OF THE GAMES.ā€

Either way, Kei and Suzuraki are really good artists who are really good at expressing emotions in their work.

1 Like

For Higurashi, my favorite will be Hinase Momoyama but Suzuragi is a close second. I really like the improvement she displayed in those three arcs.

For Umineko, I would say my favorite will be Eita Mizuno and then Kei Natsumi. Like Suzuragi the improvement really helped me appreciate it.

Natsumi and Aki shouldā€™ve just drawn the entire entire series, tbh.

1 Like

Personally I like them all for different reasons, not much to complain about with any of the ones I have seen.

Bit of an old thread, but I wanted to add that except for my liking of Jiro Suzukiā€™s artwork, Iā€™ve come to really appreciate Yutori Hojo lately. Their art style is definitely one of the more standard, orthodox ones and keeps very true to the designs of the characters, whilst most other styles stray from that a bit, each one developing their own, recognisable style. Anyways, Yutori Hojoā€™s drawings look very formal and especially lush, from a characterā€™s clothes to their hair, to their expressions. Itā€™s definitely one of the better styles, even if itā€™s a bit orthodox and I do wish they wouldā€™ve drawn more Chapters/Episodes, I wouldā€™ve especially liked to see how the Umineko characters would look drawn in their style.

I also agree that Hinase Momoyamaā€™s drawings are pretty good, very lush and soft. Though they do appear to be cute at times, which I donā€™t particularly like, itā€™s never over-done and itā€™s always just the right amount. Well, I like how they drew Dawn, but I canā€™t say Iā€™m a fan of how they drew Minagoroshi, the characters look rather different and it just doesnā€™t seem fitting, but well, maybe Iā€™ll change my mind later on.

I love Natsumi Kei especially because it really feels like she has a personal connection to Umineko by now, I love it.
Taka Aki comes right after for me (EP5), because even though her art was ā€œrawā€ sometimes, it really had the right vibe and emotion for me.

Actually, EP6ā€™s manga really comes off for me on this matter. The art is really pretty and neat, but it didnā€™t hit me as much. Let alone that I felt the mangaka added some un-needed fanservice, not just in the extras (such as BeaBea, more ā€˜impliedā€™ EriDla, and Ange being more with ridiculous brother-complex than the canon). Might be a subjective feeling since I really donā€™t ship any of the things Hinase seemed to ship but welp

Itā€™s funny, I feel like they each do different things well. With Higurashi, I like all of the art about equally with the exception of Jiro Suzuki, who is my favorite. Tatarigoroshi is so ominous in the manga, and I love the way he draws Satoko in particular. In the case of Umineko, Iā€™m really torn. Natsumiā€™s characters are the warmest, but Jiro Suzuki has the best Beatrice and Rosa, Soichirou has the best Ange, and I really like Taka Akiā€™s Erika, Beato, and Battler. Still, I voted for Natsumi, just because his characters feel the nicest to look at.

1 Like