Fire Emblem General

Oh I’ve seen that video, Ghast is pretty funny.
Though I’d argue that her death is more stupid in Birthright. Like, Azura and Ryoma are right next to Corrin, and yet when not!Callech attacks, its Lilith that sacrifices herself?!

We got some new info~
Character designs: http://imgur.com/a/iJPpg
Music: https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterEnex/videos

Video that summarizes everything:

I was wondering, what do you guys think of Walhart from Awakening?
Personally, I think he’s overrated considering his rage against the gods has no coherent background. Aside from Grima, all the other gods inspire mankind to be good and do good things. What’s the harm in that?

Was a big part of Walhart’s character his rage against gods? I always thought Walhart’s character consisted mostly of him thinking he was so great and powerful that he wished to unite the entire world under his rule. Wasn’t that his primary motivation, or am I missing something?

What I mean is that in Awakening, there is little to no evidence that people are suffering because of religious strife or tyranny of the gods. Walharts motivations are told not shown to us. Aside from Grima, there are no evil gods or corrupt religions so Walharts motivations make zero sense. If this was Tellius, I might be inclined to agree with him more.
And even then I’d argue his ideology is ridiculous and is little more than a 16 year old’s idea of a “nuanced” villain. It doesn’t help that Walhart is an incredible hypocrite and is baby’s first Ubermensch.
Edit: I was wondering, what were you guy’s pairings for Awakening and Fates?

Has anyone participated in the Fire Emblem Heroes Voting Gauntlets? The nt one running now is a lot more fun then they have been now that they give any team that slips into losing status a 3x point boost for a limited time. I started on Team Leo (I have a low opinion of Fates, but it is still the only one I have played properly) though for the finals I am Team Tharja because Robin must be destroyed.

You. The enemy.
I support Robin because this waifu menace has to finally be stopped.
(but yeah the new system is a lot better. Way less one-sided stomps.)

1 Like

How does it feel to be on the side of evil?

1 Like

I’ll take it over being on the side of a pretentious shounen-boy. Robin was my very last choice out of the initial mages. I shall continue to fight valiantly for Lady Tharja.

So as of yesterday, I have now started Arc 3 of Fire Emblem Echoes and am about to face that Paladin boss on Alm route and Grieth on Celica´s route, and I thought I´d give my impressions of the game so far.
Its good. The maps are the absolute worst part and I seriously have to wonder why IS thought it would be a good idea to recreate the Gaiden maps 1:1-that was the worst decision they ever made aside from creating Revelation.

The cast of characters are enjoyable. I wouldn´t exactly call them good as many of them aren´t developed enough-this is possibly a side effect of supports being neutered and the base convos (although good) not as thorough as the Tellius games. However, the cast does feel very realistic and organic (if a bit cliche), which is a huge plus-good examples of this are Kliff and Leon.

Part of my gripe with Fates/Awakening characters was that they had quirks instead of traits, the Echoes characters feel a lot more distinct, but as I said earlier they need a bit more depth and development in order to be fully realized and human. Its a good start though as I always felt Fire Emblem needed more human characters. Its never going to be Ryukishi quality but I still want it to be better.

The storytelling is competent. Nothing that would win awards but its still rather well written. However, I feel like Echoes´ storytelling is brought down by the amount of jrpg cliches that plague its writing. Its leaps and bounds better than Awakening and Fates, but in order for Echoes´ grand story to fully be realized, it needs to drop those cliches and be a bit more ambitious as well as build up certain scenes a lot better as the execution can be a bit on the weak side at times. The scene where Alm and Celica fight is a good example of this as Celicaś ideals aren´t explored enough in the second arc-or at the very least, its a poor introduction to what she believes in.

Overall I´m having a good time playing Echoes.

1 Like

And here are my current squad members-I don’t want to clutter up my previous post:
Values go from HP/ATK/Skill/Speed/Luck/Defense/Resistance/Movement
Alm- 33/12/12/10/7/5/5
Tobin (Archer)-31/11/8/6/6/4/4
Gray (Mercenary)-30/13/9/3/7/2/4
Kliff (Mage)-30/10/4/11/11/9/8/4
Faye (Pegasus Knight)-23/10/4/11/8/6/7
Lukas (Knight)-34/16/7/5/4/13/2/4
Silque (Cleric)-24/12/5/6/8/11/4
Clair (Pegasus Knight)-22/10/6/11/12/4/8/7
Clive (Cavalier)-26/12/7/6/7/1/7
Forsyth (Soldier)-26/12/4/5/3/8/5/5
Python just died RIP

Celica-22/14/11/9/11/6/7/4
Saber (Myrmidon)-31/12/13/16/10/7/6/5
Mae (Mage)-22/17/5/10/10/7/11/4
Boey (Mage)-24/13/9/9/11/6/7/4
Genny (about to promote to Saint)-21/14/9/10/11/1/14/4
Valbar (Knight)-34/14/6/3/2/14/1/4
Leon (Sniper)-31/13/11/8/8/6/1/5
Kamui (Myrmidon)-31/12/12/16/2/8/2/5
Atlas (Cavalier)-31/15/4/6/4/5/4/7
Palla (Pegasus Knight)-28/12/9/10/4/6/5/7
Catria (Pegasus Knight-24/11/12/12/12/5/9/7

How’s it looking so far?

It sounds like I would be better served playing Echos than circling back to Awakening then? For the next time I decide to pick up a full Fire Emblem game that is.

Oh yes, Echoes is a much better choice, it costs around $40 plus tax so I’d reccomend having 50 bucks on hand.

I complain a lot about the maps in Echoes, but honestly the siege maps are the best part of the gameplay. Its just so fun getting into that military commander mindset and Grieth is basically this game’s equivalent of the Monsoon boss fight.

Also, wow is Fernand exactly like Erika Furudo
Umineko/FE character spoilers below…

Both of them have extremely unreasonable anger toward a certain thing (Fern has peasants, Erika has love), both of them are unfailingly loyal toward a master that gave them new purpose, both of them are prime meme material, both of their masters are somewhat insane, and according to some spoilers have suffered a lot, and both of them have abrupt backstories. However, I feel like Erika’s backstory was better written than Fernand’s because her backstory was not only engaging and thus more empathetic, her backstory directly relates to the themes of the game and makes you understand a bit more of Erika’s mindset and makes you think a bit more on how she interacts with others as well as what she really was like irl. Fernand’s backstory is told through Clair instead of himself and basically boils down to: please feel sorry for Fernand, please~
It doesn’t help that Erika got development throughout EP6 whereas Fernand’s development comes and goes. Though I’m not sure if he gets more screen time in Act 4.

There’s a way to do villain backstories and this isn’t exactly one of them

1 Like

I’ve started playing Echoes the last couple of days. I’m not that far in, it’s reminding me that I suck at video games. It’s quite fun though. I’m especially enjoying the character interactions.

1 Like

What difficulty are you playing on? Personally, I’m doing Hard-Classic ironman run. Echoes gets a bit difficult but its very fun.

I believe I’m doing normal-classic.

I have finally started Gaiden! Uhh, I mean, Echoes! After I bought it on release, heh. So far it’s very enjoyable. Also thanks @Pandora for suggesting to play on hard, so far it’s been a decent challenge, which means that normal might have been too easy for my tastes. One thing I couldn’t figure out for the life of me though and what I’m probably going to look up soon is how critical hit rate and avoid is calculated in that game…
I do like that this time already 1 point difference makes a difference between doubling your enemy and getting doubled. Also using HP as a resource for magic and special abilities is very interesting. Furthermore, minimum damage defaulting to 1 introduces a new sense of danger, so to speak, that pretty much every other Fire Emblem game didn’t have.

1 Like