General Con Experience Topic

No, not really unfortunately

In that case, are there any other cons in the future you guys will be attending? @smileypers0n @MrDent @Undeadhope @Leo-Kusanagi

Or anyone else too. If thereā€™s options for community meet-ups we should plan for them well in advance!

EDIT: If any of you have Witch Rank and havenā€™t done so yet, please add yourself to our world map so we can get an idea of what our big con opportunities are.

Ah, oh, sorry! I go to both Matsuricon and Ohayocon every year- Both cons are in the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Columbus, Ohio. This is the first time Iā€™ve ever done a panel, but it was a huge success with a really good turnout, so I might do this every convention from now on. (I do believe Iā€™ve already added myself to the World Map.)

Our panel was essentially a class on 07th Expansion. SmileyPers0n and Undeadhope were cosplaying Maria and Shannon, and another one of our friends, who unfortunately isnā€™t a member, went as Beatrice. She had a really intricate hand-made dress, and a lot of people wanted photos with her. Originally, we planned to have a giveaway and a Q&A session at our panel, but unfortunately we started running out of time and had to cut those segments. (Originally, we had a video we were going to show, but that was cancelled as well.) We had a surprisingly full turnout, and I think people enjoyed what we talked about. (Iā€™m also fairly certain I convinced at least two people to check out Rose Guns Days.) As the panel closed, I recommended MYTH and Fata Morgana as games 07th Expansion fans would also be interested in, and told some of the people who came to visit our panel about Rokkenjima.

If anyone sends me a PM, I can share the Google Slides Presentation we used during the panel, as well as the video we had planned to show. @smileypers0n @Undeadhope do you guys have the Matsuricon Programme? I think they gave our panel a blurb.

5 Likes

I dont believe I have that. Sorry :-/
Also as long as I can make it I will help with the future panels we may want to do

Donā€™t sweat it. I think that a friend of mine does have a copy of the programme. If I get a pic, Iā€™ll put it here.

1 Like

Amazing! That would have been awesome to see!

Well I went to Crunchyroll con last weekend and I did see some Higurashi/Umineko fanart! Wish I could have taken photos, I just have the Rika print that I bought. xD

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! Whenever I go to cons I try to scout out artists to invite to join Rokkenjima. I think I need to get some business cards made~

And thanks for the info @MrDent! I would very much appreciate a copy of those slides. I hope youā€™ll let us know if you do it next year so we can prepare and help you out!

1 Like

Iā€™m waaaaay too late on this topic, but yeah. I normally go to Ohayocon and Matsuricon in Ohio. There are some rare occasions where Iā€™ll go to a con outside my area, but with having to work so much, itā€™s not always a feasible thing. I do however plan on trying to go to Comiket by 2019 (I would plan it for next year, but I have too many plans. Plus, I really want to save up as much as I can before going to another country).

4 Likes

My friend and I cosplayed Umineko at Otakon a few years ago. By this point, the fandom was kind of forgotten in the convention community, but just the Beatrice cosplay alone was enough to garner attention and help spread our love for Umineko. We even met some great people who shared our love for the seriesā€“one of them had a one-winged eagle tattoo! Totally unexpected.

As far as conventions are concerned, cosplay really helps to identify who is in what fandom, so I have to be thankful for that. For this reason, I hope to cosplay more 07th Expansion in the future.

5 Likes

Aah your local con is also AN!? Its so good to see another fan here! Im no longer in Toronto at the moment but I hope to go back to do future Shinto panels at AN!

As for my own experience the best con for me was in 2011 at Anime North as well we had a whole Umineko/Higurashi cosplay group (I was Bernkastel, my friend was Tomitake) and had really fun times!

I didnt even wear a wig, and my cosplay was half baked, but it was the best con! :sob:

Here are some fun pics from the time, pics with clear faces edited for privacy (or in my case with the Goat because I was making a weird face, haha) the group photo isnt so clear so I didnt add privacy stickers, but if you recognize yourself and dont want your photo uploaded, I can delete the pic/add a sticker! Let me know!

Me as Bern hugging a wine display lol ;;

Bern reaction in front of mirror

One of the best Beatrice cosplays! My friend as Tomitake

Tomitake and Satoshi

Group photo

Me and Goat kun (I wouldnt have uploaded but the Goat cosplay was so good! I freaked out seeing them! )

4 Likes

I really wanna get one of those now.

1 Like

If anyone here is in Ohio, Iā€™ll be at Ohayocon next week! I would love to meet any When They Cry fans in the area! I donā€™t think Smileypers0n or UndeadHope will be able to make it to Ohayocon, though. I can, for sure!

And since Rokkenjima will be closed when it rolls around, I should say itā€™s pretty likely that weā€™ll be hosting another When They Cry panel at Matsuricon this year! So if you wanted to see what that was about, totally come this year!

4 Likes

This year I am also going to a sailor moon festival (Toronto) and Yeticon(Blue Mountians, right near me!). I would like to find a convention to go to in Quebec or even south of the border. I have been going to anime north since 2010, I tend to hand out Higurashi CDs when I do. But last year the convention was not that great. The Japanese voice actors they bring over are for shows I do not follow and we could not even get into panel we wanted. Vendors last year were expensive and not worth the time to browse when got a friend in japan that gets me better stuff and cheaper. 07th Expansion becoming rarer to see at the convention. Last year we all dressed up as characters from RE: Zero. We even do multiple cosplay through out the weekend.

Anime North
2011 https://daisu1.deviantart.com/gallery/38366010/Anime-North-2011
2012 https://daisu1.deviantart.com/gallery/37569120/Anime-North-Cosplay-2012
2013 https://daisu1.deviantart.com/gallery/41453461/Anime-North-2013
2014 https://daisu1.deviantart.com/gallery/49658394/Anime-North-2014
2015 https://daisu1.deviantart.com/gallery/54601901/Anime-North-2015
2016 https://daisu1.deviantart.com/gallery/59042131/Anime-North-2016
2017 https://daisu1.deviantart.com/gallery/65394296/Anime-North-2017

2 Likes

I could call myself a veteran when it comes to cons, and it has been wild ride to see the my local community grow and change for over the years. The cons that I go to are small compared to the American ones, but cons nonetheless.

I am planning on going to Matsuricon, I wouldnā€™t mind some protips and maybe hotel recommendation.

Iā€™ll be going to Ohayocon as Maria today if anyone besides Dent will be there.

Since I live in Columbus, Iā€™ve never actually stayed at the hotel for the con, but I did look into it once. If you want to stay at the Hyatt Regency proper, rent your room very early, it actually sells out very fast. I believe it was around 200$ for two nights? Way out of my price range. (I am poor.)

Luckily, there are quite a few hotels nearby, a few of them being chains too, so you should be able to get a room nearby for a fair price.

As for Matsuricon proper, I like the convention and itā€™s atmosphere a lot, but itā€™s often really disorganized. I prefer Matsuricon to Ohayocon, but sometimes the lines at Matsuricon for industry guests and even for registration are a mess, so try and be early. Definitely pre-register if you can, too, it makes it much easier.

Check the dealerā€™s room early if you want to hunt for When They Cry merchandise- If they do have some, theyā€™ll be bought almost immediately. Ohio, surprisingly, has a decent number of WTC fans.

Anyways! Just got back from Ohayocon, and I saw a couple of awesome cosplayers! (And got a custom Umineko sketch from the wonderful Andrea Caprotti of Rooster Teeth!)

Saw a Willardā€¦

Willard Cosplayer

Saw a Shionā€¦

Shion Cosplayer

And I got this amazing sketch, which I love so very much! (Umineko full-series spoilers)

Umineko Sketch

4 Likes

I missed out on Ohayocon this year. I wanted to go, but my request for that time off got denied. I should be going to Matsuricon though, and hopefully Iā€™ll have my Umineko cosplay by then.

2 Likes

Hope to see you there! Dent, UndeadHope, another friend, and I might be coordinated enough this Matsuricon for us all to have cosplays so youā€™ll be able to pick us out in a crowd (especially if we have umineko music playing lol)

1 Like