General Visual Novels Discussion

It ended up being quite a bit longer than I thought it was going to be, which I was absolutely fine with. However, it is a story that requires a lot of patience. Initially, it appears to be a collection of short stories, akin to Higanbana, but that’s not the case at all, it’s actually one single narrative that spans centuries. There was an unfortunate reviewer who didn’t realize that and reviewed the game based on the first four Doors alone, which is the shortest part of the whole game.

Basically, there’s 8 different chapters, not including the several investigation segments. I loved all of the chapters, but the second half was what elevated the game from great to God Tier™. I’m a fairly fast reader, but I clocked in at just under 20 hours.

Just finished it, and yeah it was absolutely beautiful. Vastly recommended to anyone else who might lurk this topic.

I’ll have to think about what to take away from this for a while…

1 Like

I’m glad you liked it! It’s definitely in my Top Five, it’s just so powerful. And it’s all doujinsoft- It’s incredible how that is. It’s not a perfect game, but there’s an awe-inspiring amount of effort put into each and every aspect, and it all just comes across as so genuine and moving. The entire final act is just an emotional rollercoaster, it’s almost impossible to believe the story began with yandere siscon.

It’s been weeks since I’ve finished it now, and I still can’t get the characters or the music out of my head. Even though there’s some brutal, brutal stuff in it, I’m so glad I read it. I legitimately think it’s made me into a more empathetic person. (Although I was already kind of an overly feelsy kind of person before, so maybe that’s not a super good thing?)

There’s supposed to be an english translation of the fandisc, A Requiem for Innocence, but… MangaGamer’s kind of forgotten about it. They said it would be due before the end of 2016, but the TL percentage hasn’t changed in months. It sort of makes me think that maybe The House in Fata Morgana has under preformed really badly, which… If that’s the case, that’s really tragic. It makes me feel awful for putting the game off for so long.

Oh! And there’s a commercial Vita port forthcoming, which will have voice acting! Which is exciting. Apparently Maria Campanella’s seiyuu is the same as Maria Ushiromiya’s, which is really funny in a strange and morbid way. (The game will also have a “modern day arc,” but the art style for it looks really generic, so I’m ignoring it for the time being.) Maybe some dedicated fans will patch the voice acting, like what’s been done for Higurashi and Umineko?

1 Like

I personally love Higurashi and Umineko, though I got into Visual Novels a long time ago with Fate Stay Night. Though I must say one of the series I adore quite a lot is the Steampunk series by Liar-Soft. Thats Sekien no Inganock, Shikkoku no Sharnoth, and Ourai no Gahkthun of whats translated. I am practically on the edge of my seat waiting for the translation of Shiei no Sona-Nyl as well.

I have read quite a few visual novels, and am on my second page on VNDB so its a bit more than I could easily talk about here, though I would love to discuss things with people. I wish someone would translate the fandiscs for Liar Soft’s stuff though.

1 Like

My Visual Novel experience and brief thoughts.I like stories with a lot of mystery.

Zero Escape Series: My entry into the genre. Love this series. I think that 999 is the high point and then each game gets progressively worse. Akane Kurashiki is one of my favorite fictional characters and I didn’t feel consistency in her in ZTD.

Saya No Uta: Cool story. Not for people who have weak stomachs. Quick read. My main issue with VNs is a lot of them seem to have pacing issues, but this story is tighter.

G Senjou No Mao: Didn’t really hook me. Dropped. Might go back some day and just go through the true route based on what i’ve read.

Umineko: My favorite visual novel as of now. Love this series.

Root Double: Meh. Kinda of like a poor man’s 999. I like the early stuff, but the back half just feels like a bunch of info dumps. Reveals/twists/backstories are just kinda thrown at you instead of naturally being fed through the story. Zero Escape accomplishes this a lot stronger. Not good. Not bad. I would recommend to someone who wanted more Zero Escape.

Upcoming(Whenever I get around to it)
Higurashi (Seen anime)
Cross Channel (Premise sounds interesting)
Subahibi (When the translation is released. Heard it’s mystery/philosophy heavy)
Muvluv (Been pushing this off because Extra and Unlimited seem like they will be pretty bland. Heard they are necessary though.)
Sharin No Kumi (Sounds Interesting)

I’m read 4 of Proffesor Layton series on Nintendo DS and now I’m read a visual novel named Witch’s Wish on DS.
On PC I’m read Umineko no Naku Koro ni still…

Edit: Also I readed Ripples on PC…It wasn’t long I finish it in two minutes…

1 Like

Uchikoshi and Nakazawa’s VNs (until ZTD) have never disappointed me. 999, Virtue’s Last Reward, Ever17 and Remember11 probably still all have a spot in my top 10 if not top 5 (999 and VLR snatch the #2 and #1 spot respectively).

Read Ace Attorney 1 and 5, now waiting to buy AA Trilogy on my 3DS to play them all legitimately. 5 was fun but 1 was beautiful.

Umineko was wonderful, and the first half of Higurashi was also incredible.

My newest obsession is The House In Fata Morgana. Best OST ever (yes including Umineko) for me, incredible story, perfectly developed character.

3 Likes

Alongside the obvious 07th novels, I’ve been reading Notch -The Innocent LunA: Eclipsed SinnerS-.

I’ve got quite a few visual novels waiting in my Steam library, as well as many more on my wish list, but I can’t name any off the top of my head.

I have not read as many VNs as I wish I could say, I hardly find time nowdays to do read/watch the things I want to, but I have cleared School Days, Chaos;Head, Fate/Stay Night, Umineko/Chiru and the Higurashi ones that have been released so far on Steam. I am tackling Saya no uta lately and plan to check Tsukihime afterwards, any recomendation? specially on romance or mystery VNs.

1 Like

Check out Root Double for an interesting mystery one. I am still working my way through it, but I finished the After route and I am enjoying the unfolding conspiracy/mystery as I start the Before one.

I second this recommendation. Root Double is soooooo good.

Oh right I forgot to post on this thread that I’m slowly making my way the Zero Escape series. I say slowly since the last ED of 999 made me kinda made me want to just throw stuff.

I’ll eventually make my way back to Root Double.

Might take another look at Little Busters since the official release is near.

1 Like

I mostly play otome games (laughs) but I also play anything I found interesting. I played Higurashi, Umineko, Higanbana, and Rose Guns Day. I played some all-ages yuri games and they were great - I recommend FLOWERS. It is a mystery yuri visual novel, the mystery isn’t that heavy…at least for now. It’s a series made of 4 games, but only one has been translated so far. The last game in Japan is planned to be out this year. Also, the artwork and the music is fantastic. For otome games, I recommend Cheritz’s Nameless. It’s my favorite otome game of all time, even Amnesia lost.

I’m currently playing the otome game Nightshade, but I have other games I have to finish - Kara no Shoujo Second Episode (adult mystery VN), Cartagra (another adult mystery VN), other otome games…I almost finished Kara no Shoujo, though, just have to go through the true route. I enjoy it more than the first game, but the R-18 scenes are still unneeded for the whole story and the incest is a bit too heavy (kinda the main point, even). I also haven’t finished Fate/Stay night. I’m halfway in UBW route and I enjoy it more than Fate route. Pretty sure I’ll love Heaven’s Feel route, too.

I also played Root Double and I absolutely love it. It has some issues, but overall, it’s great.

I want to play many other visual novel games…yeah, I have to start Saya no Uta real fast.

I also played short visual novels, especially surreal ones, like The World to Reverse, which is also great.

2 Likes

Do you have any suggestions for Otome Games available in English? I have picked up a few, but ever since I started Amnesia and encountered its shota-brat narrator who repeats everything and hits you over the head with obvious exposition and plot hole BS it has become painfully clear I need to vet them more before I get too excited about any of them.

It feels like all of the ones I practically speaking would like to play got butchered into haphazardly ported iOS games that have been able to do basic things like show me CGs without weird glitches on screen.

I did pick up and I do like Hakuoki - decent storytelling, historical fiction, not all of the guys are jerks…

I wish that someone would bring Toki Meki Memorial Girl’s Side over :< not a VN, but I am really fond of that Otome game in particular.

I’ve read a good variety of VNs… currently I’m re-reading Umineko since I never finished it and need to start over (so much info…)
I tend to read anything, really… hard to pinpoint a certain type/genre for me, I read things from Yandere to DRAMAtical Murder, to Little Busters! and Clannad. :joy: I also have Shuffle! to read, and I need to read Lamento … I should update my VNDB list so it isn’t dated and embarrassing to share.

1 Like

I feel so sad that I haven’t seen some of the classics mentioned here.

Critical Point? Kana: Little Sister? Heart de Roommate? No? Alright…

Though I was happy being close to ground zero when VNs just started to hit Steam in large waves. It was pretty much inconceivable that VNs would get any evidence of a viable market in the west.

I have played pretty much most of Umineko. I loved the Higurashi anime though I should read the VN.

Root Letter I’ve recently played and I like it. My honest thoughts about that it was more like a first-person-adventure-game like Jake Hunter (which I also liked) than a VN. It has super high production value. Like crazy high production value.
Spoiler for Root Letter endings: I hate the cat-boxiness of the endings! Like seriously! CoD:Black Ops 2’s way of handling the endings was like way better even if they did use the same technique.

2 Likes

Ahaha, Orion can get in the way. I understand. If you already know spoilers, there’s a yandere guy as well in Amnesia. And yes, Hakuoki is indeed good.

My favorite otome game is Nameless, developed by Cheritz (you know, Mystic Messenger). Gorgeous art, intriguing story. It requires you to play all routes to know the truth, though, and there’s psychotic guy again that looks nice outside, some messed up backstory, and rather dark bad endings. If you agree with that and about jointed dolls becoming real, you can go ahead and play it, I recommend it. Dandelion, Cheritz’ previous game, is said to be good as well, but I haven’t played it as it has skill points etc I’m too lazy to play. It is said that the antagonist in Nameless exists in Dandelion as well.

I’m currently playing Nightshade which is about ninja and has plenty of action. The heroine is great as well. I have only played one route, but I love it.

If you want a normal one, though, I think Storm Lover Kai is good. It’s a PSP game, though. It doesn’t have much story other than “girl meets boys, choose one, unravel their problems”, but I think it’s pretty cute and funny (especially “baka couple” scene).

Collar x Malice English is coming, and they said it’s good, so let’s wait. And maybe wait for a better translation of Taisho Alice, it seems good.

Also, have you play Hatoful Boyfriend? (laughs) It’s good for a breather, I think.

I guess that’s all. You might want to try Ozmafia, but honestly, I don’t really like it. I’ve never played Toki Meki Memorial Girl’s Side, but I really want to…

This sounds decidedly awesome, and Mystic Messenger is a good pedigree for the lineage.

I love skill points so this also sounds right up my alley!

Thank you! :hauu:

I have, and I really liked it. Even with all of its absurdities (probably because of the absurdities really) I’d get a maid outfit Yuuta body pillow in a heartbeat <3

You’re welcome. I hope you will enjoy it.
I forgot to mention that Storm Lover Kai has basic skill points too and you can work part-time to get money, which you use to buy stuffs for your boyfriend. If you fail at exams your relationship with your boyfriend will become awkward (unless your boyfriend fails too. Maybe you have to fail to get him).

1 Like

I loved Kana: Little Sister!

I even drew fanart of Kana before I read the VN because I liked her design. I didn’t think I would like it after finally reading it years later, but it surprised me. xD

2 Likes