Higanbana 2nd Night Ch. 5: My Best Friend

Ch12

General discussion topic for Chapter 5: My Best Friend of Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni: The Second Night. Please tag any references to later chapters or outside works with the [spoiler] tag, providing adequate context in parenthesis.
We take spoilers very seriously, and ignoring this rule could potentially result in a ban.

While this topic will serve as a general hub for discussion of the Chapter, if a conversation ends up flowing in a certain direction (eg. You start talking about the series as a whole rather than this particular Chapter), don’t be afraid to continue it in your own topic! Keep the “reply as linked topic” button beside each post in mind.

What would you rate this chapter?

0 voters

1 Like

Well, that took a couple of curveballs. At first I was shocked she actually went through with the resurrection, and I was shocked once again when Tomoko rejected her completely. I thought that maybe this was the goal of the story; to highlight the tragedy when a relationship is seen completely different between two people. The way Michiru accepted Tomoko’s rejection, and yet chose to cling onto those happy memories and still consider her a wonderful friend hit me hard. Personally, that was a message I could relate to a lot, and I was comfortable at leaving it at that.

But then we get one more scene which makes it very clear that Tomoko only said that to stop Michiru from making a mistake. Couldn’t you have gone about it a bit better? Surely… But well, Tomoko insists that Michiru is stronger than that, and one day she’ll understand it was all a lie. Well, there may be truth in that too. That’s incredible belief in each other right there.

So, I guess I’m left with some mixed feelings. The message is good, but the chapter almost feels like it doubled back on itself a couple of times, so it’s been a bit difficult for me to process. Not sure if I liked how it did that, but I understand it nonetheless.

Probably could’ve explored the impact of that curse a little more, if they wanted to spend more time on this chapter.

5 Likes

Well, tbh I loved this chapter, more than many of the other chapters. Only 2-6 and 1-3 surpass this to me IMO. (I didn’t read 2-7 yet though.) It felt so warm to me, the message it gave, and especially what Tomomo did. I did see it coming from a mile away that she was doing it for Michiru’s sake and I was like goosebumped and like Yes Tomoko, you are so amazing, thank you, thank you! And for a short while until Tomoko revealed that she was being mean for Michiru’s sake, I thought Ryukishi wasn’r gonna reveal that and have it like each to his own interpretation. But that wouldn’t have had the more positive message I suppose. :stuck_out_tongue:

Great closure to Michiru, and a great chapter overall, full of feels. :slight_smile:

Now go read A Thistle of Vengeance if you haven’t already. My fav chapter so far.

1 Like

I truly got caught in the flow of the story. If I weren’t so cold-hearted I would probably have cried.

It started off with that silly soundtrack showing the happiness of Michiru and Tomoko, and then we’re suddenly struck with the cruel fact Tomoko died. Sadness quickly overpowered all the happiness the beginning had, which ended up becoming a resurrection ritual?! I must admit I never thought she was actually going that far… Then, faced with Tomoko’s response I confess I was taken aback, I’d never consider that, it was so harsh even I felt bad. And (this is so Ryukishi-like) yet another turnaround! Tomoko was simply protecting her best friend from a life of loneliness, naturally Higanbana had something to do with it, that’s the only thing I could foresee.

All in all it wasn’t deep yet it wasn’t that shallow, a nice chapter to act as a bridge to the “complexity” of chapter 6.

3 Likes

My tweets this chapter were incredibly random at parts ^^;
But there was also one where @Aspirety and I had the same thought.

So yeah, overall a nice chapter. As for why I felt it genuine that Tomoko was lying, considering just how much the two spent time with each other, it’s simply less believable for me that Tomoko did all of that just out of some feeling of obligation. And, well, half-apologizing for her words immediately afterwards by saying she was a bit groggy was another hint or foreshadowing I’d say.

4 Likes

I too have mixed feelings on this chapter. While I enjoyed it, as I have every other chapter, I do wish some things were different. I wish there was more insight into the relationship between Michiru and Tomoko; we get one scene of them hanging out, but Tomoko suddenly dies out of nowhere and the rest is implied. If they had taken a bit more time to build up their relationship, her death wouldn’t have felt so out of left field for me. I wish they’d have shown Michiru meeting Tomoko as well, as she isn’t even mentioned in the fourth chapter of the First Night, implying they met after that.

My second problem is with Tomoko’s rejection of Michiru. I understand her motivation, but Michiru is obviously a lonely girl who sees Tomoko as her only friend, perhaps the only real friend she’s ever had. I felt that her “pushing away” of Michiru could have been taken out completely, and instead have Tomoko just tell Michiru that’s she’s moved on to the next life and that Michiru should move on with hers, in a very heartwarming way fitting of the friendship they shared together. It felt unnecessarily harsh and forced to me, as if Ryukishi needed a twist somewhere it didn’t need to be, just to build up to another twist. Michiru’s reaction to it is rather tame, as well. I have been in Michiru’s shoes, and if my only friend told me they hated me and just hung around me because they were afraid, I would be shattered and heartbroken for an incredibly long time. I certainly wouldn’t be able to realize my mistakes and need to move on within the span of a few minutes afterwards, not at her age.

All in all, I felt this chapter didn’t show me enough of Michiru and Tomoko’s friendship to get me to care enough for this new character and her death, and the way they execute the message of moving on in life after grief was flawed. However, I still enjoyed this chapter and am excited for the next.

5 Likes

This was an interesting chapter. It made me reflect on the concept of greetings.

A greeting basically marks the beginning of any relationship.
By removing that ability, I will never again be able to hold a substantial relationship.
In other words, … never greeting anyone in your lifetime means never making any friends.
It’s the same as giving up all the friends you’ve made or would make in an entire lifetime.

I had always loathe greetings and goodbyes phrases. There was a phase in my life when I thought they were a waste of time, repetitive, redundant, and unnecessarily creates future expectations. For example, I enter a classroom and see a friend, and I have to say “hi” or “good morning”. If I do it once, then firstly, there’s an expectation that when we part that day we have to say the goodbyes. Secondly, it creates an expectation for both parties that the next day/time I see them again, I have to greet them, and repeat that pattern the next time. Consequently, if either party don’t maintain that pattern, there will be feelings of guilt or awkardness.

Alternatively, I can choose not to greet, then I’m seen as anti-social because I’m not meeting those expectations (though really, at that phase I just wanted meaningful conversations, not just conversations involving repeating stock-standard phrases/topics).

Then there’s the issue of effort: should it be or should it not be that you have to actively and consciously maintain your relationships with your friends?

I say it is redundant because if I enter a classroom, generally speaking, the other person would notice. Why is it necessary that we have an expectation that we must ‘verbally’ acknowledge each person’s arrival/existence, everytime? Is not eye contact sufficient? (in today’s society, it generally isn’t, because of the expectation of a verbal greeting)

I say it is repetitive because pretty much it is a stock-standard phrase with not much variation.

I still loathe greetings etc, for the reasons above, but not as much as before. That is because I recognise some of the beneficial purposes that it fulfills.

So, it was surprising to consider the hypothetical situation of the removal of greetings in this chapter.
I think the primary reason why the loss of the ability to greet equals never making any friends has to do with the fact that greetings are expected in our social interactions. If you imagine a society that does not expect people to greet others in social interactions/situations, then arguably, Michiru’s loss of greeting would have no effective impact on her ability to make friends or maintain relationships. I mean, just consider her interactions with her family, or your own interactions with your family. Do you have to actively say ‘good morning’ everytime you wake up and see them? If not, does your relationship with them deteriorate because you didn’t do so? Clearly, there is a different expectation in families.

Therefore, I say greetings are social constructs. It is ONE way to facilitate social interaction. But is not in my opinion the best way do achieve that purpose. What is the true value in something that anyone can say in a stock-standard way?

5 Likes

I hath joined you all on the night of this seance to divulge upon thee the details of my time with this chapter…

It was okay.

Going into this chapter i was expecting something a little light-hearted after coming out of The Boy’s portrait, so my expectations weren’t particualrly high. I echo most of @Aspirety’s thoughts on how the chapter seemed to tumble over itself, The way that Tomoko handles her rejection of Michuru was see-through in my opinion, I’m not sure how Michuru didn’t pick up on the fact that her friend was trying to protect her rather than put her down, I thought she was supposed to be smart?

That said i really liked the themes of the chapter, the way that it approaches relationship building in the form of greetings, i think that @HolyHawk has done a really good job of breaking down what a greeting is, it’s a meaningless phrase that is required for the beginning of a social contract. We get a cool discussion about the importance of forging new relationships which i think is a pretty tricky topic to tackle while also keeping discussion fresh.

@Zosonte also makes an excellent point regarding the amount of time we got with their friendship, i don’t see why this couldn’t have been built up in a different chapter before we hit this one, we’ve seen Michuru plenty of times and I love her but except for in the mirror world she doesn’t seem to interact with anyone unless they need something from her. Perhaps this chapter could have benefited from a stronger placement in the continuity of the series, if something had happened to Sakunoshin for instance the narrative would have been much stronger.

The chapter uses the resurrection contract as a centerpiece in its criticism of people who dwell on past relationships that no longer exist instead of creating new ones. It primarily focuses on a relationship with someone who is deceased but I don’t think the argument should be constrained just to that circumstance, i think it could equally be applied to a relationship with someone who you’ve had a falling out with or who is having a destructive influence in your life. This is something I can very much understand to be important, there was a time in my life where I wholly believed that just having one or two friends I could connect with would be enough and I could ignore everyone else, but my social life is much healthier now that I’ve learned to embrace a much wider area of contacts whom I can interact with.

Before I sign out, can someone tell me why the heck is there a Demonic Union???

It’s almost like this chapter is trying to confuse me

6 Likes

I really enjoyed this one. :joyful:

Initially, Michiru didn’t particularly stand out to me among all the other human protagonists, but I feel like this chapter did a nice job of developing and fleshing out her character and made me care more about her. And I believe that the primary message that this chapter meant to convey was that we shouldn’t dwell on the memories of the past, but that we should instead focus on the present. Even if you’re hurting over a lost friend or love interest, you can always have new encounters. This was highlighted by the emphasis on the importance of greetings. Also, we got some sick new music, I don’t believe we heard it before this chapter.

4 Likes

I was touched and drawn into how it started and got hooked when Michiru announced that she would attempt to revive Tomoko. I knew this would be my jam and I am not disappointed.
I never experienced the death of a friend, but I still empathized greatly with Michiru’s loss. I barely even got to know Tomoko, but seeing how closely they got along, how well they connected with their eccentric interests, and how much it pained Michiru was enough to clearly show how important she was to her in such a short amount of time.
I’m also a sucker for stories like this, where one is driven to revive the dead and what the process and cost of it is. Throwing in a demon contract that’s fair and honest with a subtle price that sounds far simpler than what it entails rather than something over-the-top or violent also really hit the spot. As far as we know, death is an absolute and permanent thing once the remains are cremated, so the lengths one would go to undo it and whether it’s worth it in the end is an interesting thing to explore. It’s far too easy to make the revival backfire by screwing with the revived’s personality to no longer resemble their old self because MAGIC, that’s not a real lesson and just feels forced as a consequence, so I’m really satisfied to see this story subvert that as well while still teaching a lesson!

I had some doubts about the idea of binding Tomoko to a doll, so I wasn’t too surprised about Michiru accused of being selfish. But I don’t hold it against Michiru either, she’s just trying to work with what she has available out of desperation and grief.
If one is bound to a doll and only allowed to speak and listen (not clarified if she can also still see), that’s an extremely limited way to live. She wouldn’t be able to move on her own, she wouldn’t be able to live a normal life with her family or ever find something like a boyfriend, and Michiru would probably be forced to carry the doll around to keep her company all the time which would reflect even more poorly on her life along with the restriction of being unable to greet others. Living just like a doll would seem like Tomoko would be too much of an inconvenience for Michiru.

It came as a shock with how rude Tomoko was being and how it was said to be her true feelings, but I completely understood where she was coming from once the truth was revealed. It really spoke to me - brought me to tears even - because I believe that’s what a really close friendship is about and proved just how close they were as friends and showed how all the more tragic Tomoko’s death was.

I loved this chapter.

3 Likes

First and foremost:

The demon did nothing wrong. Demon for best boi.

I loved this chapter for several reasons, the return of best girl, the heartwarming friendship and departure, the message, and it was probably one of the more comedic chapters too.

However, what I wanted to talk about was something I didn’t like so much about it: It was predictable. As soon as the demon said that Tomoko needed to affirm their friendship, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen. A big part of what I love so much about Higanbana (the series, not the character) is how it always throws in a complete curve ball at the end, but in a very natural way.
Just to look at a single example: First Night - Chapter 7. Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii- I never saw that coming. I didn’t like chapter 7 too much in it’s entirety, but from when Surmie is revealed on it was pure gold - because it completely turned the story on its head, particularly with the bus accident. That single part, only about 5 minutes of reading was so shocking that it turned Ch 7 into my favourite chapter between both nights (though to be fair, as soon as I read “But just then, the bus suddenly jerked and shook”, something in my brain told me: literally any problem + Ryukishi = unprecedented disaster.)

But this chapter had none of that, unfortunately. Tomoko’s answer to being summoned, the dialogue between her and the demon afterwards explaining it, the price Michiru had to pay for the resurrection, none of it was surprising.

As a simple story I like this chapter better than most of the others, but as a Higanbana Chapter, I was a little disappointed.

3 Likes

I kind of sprinted through the rest of the first night and up to here without making a post so I’m going to quickly make a post here about this chapter.

I personally really liked this chapter. Michiru is one of my favorite characters in this entire series probably only behind Higabana. This chapter does a good job of getting to the core of her character and I think it does it well.

I think this chapter does a good job of showing how difficult it is to move on after loosing a friend, wether it be death or perhaps just them moving away. At the begining you want to do absolutly anything to keep them with you only to realize after awhile that perhas since the two of you have been forced apart, it’s better for you to go your own ways and thrive without eachother. While forgetting the other is not what you should do you should just realize that you do in fact need to move on and make new friends. Tomoko definantly showed how mature she was though her decision and while she was a little stern, she showed how a proper person should act.

Either way I am looking forward to continuing on through Higabana and I will try to remember to make a comment for the last two chapters left.

3 Likes