Higurashi Steam Release Feedback, Bug Reports, Typos

Use this topic to share your thoughts, feedback and bug/typo reports on the Higurashi Steam Release. I aim to pass on the reports collected here to Mangagamer directly, so you can be sure they’ll hear them!

1 Like

Just to get this in early, I reported the strange omission of the ‘credit roll’ in Meakashi, apparently it WAS a mistake to leave it out :s So hopefully that’ll be patched in soon, hahah.

4 Likes

Here’s one I joked about on Discord. It’s admittedly pretty minor.

Apparently Mion can talk in 1080p.

(The white bar was my doing to avoid potentially spoiling things.)

4 Likes

I went and created this thread on the 07th Modding Github for Someutsushi typos. You can post them there, or post them here and I’ll share them there.

I’m actually pretty dissatisfied with the retranslation as a whole. While I wouldn’t say it’s bad and it’s probably better than the original TL (it’s been far too long so I can’t remember what it was like reading that one), it feels to me like something that’s just barely makes the mark, rather than something worthy of being known as a “new and improved translation”. The amount of typos is particularly telling. While Meakashi wasn’t as bad as Watanagashi in this regard they still occur at a significantly higher frequency than any other MangaGamer title I’ve read. And given that Higurashi is both kinetic and short (per chapter relative to other VNs), this is a pretty disappointing reflection of the QC team. As for the actual text, I don’t know Japanese so I can’t compare them side by side, but I’ve encountered quite a number of sentences that would have felt more natural with a change in their structure/word order, something that should definitely have been picked up by the editor. For me at least, these issues were enough to make me pause and break immersion.

I probably sound kind of whiny saying all of this but it just bugs me that Higurashi has gotten the short end of the stick amongst MangaGamer titles. If Tsumihoroboshi comes out before mid-September I’ll probably be making a proper compilation of these issues to submit to them.