Introduce Yourself!

I am a Chinese American living and working in Hong Kong. I have never played any 07th Expansion VN’s prior to Umineko, although I have played many mystery VN’s before (Never 7 / Ever 17 / Remember 11 / 999 doors) as I am a big fan of murder mystery and plot twists.

I’m a big fan of languages when it comes to hobbies, I speak Chinese, German (been learning for 4 years) and Japanese (still studying after 2 years). One of the greatest joys for me is interacting with the Umineko fans in both the western / Chinese community on the internet.

I have downloaded Umineko years before but the old artwork and lack of textboxes turned me off a little so I never bothered to play it after playing it after the first 5 minutes. However, with the release of the steam version and numerous positive feedbacks from veteran VN’ers. I decided to give it another try, and never looked back ever since! (Ironically I prefer the old artwork over the new steam artwork lol).

I really appreciate the effort from Aspirety for giving us first-time readers a platform via spoiler-free discussions and the podcast!

4 Likes

Heyo!

My name is Necem! I am 22 years old and from Germany.

I don’t know much about 07th expansion. I have only read chapter 1+2 of higurashi and I’m currently waiting for the ps3 sprite patch for chapter 3. But the 2 chapters I read were amazing and there are so many mysterys and things I dont understand that I decided to join here for some discussions to get a clearer picture (I say that but you probably won’t see much of me here, I just read most of the time and only post something now and then).

Of course, I will start umineko now although I am a little late for the Tea party.

I am also a big fan of Key (yes, I come from kazamatsuri) and vn/anime in general. When i’m not watching anime, I play videogames on my pc. If I had to name some favorite genres it would have to be Strategy games like starcraft, age of empires or company of heroes and RPG’s like elder scrolls or mass effect.

Anyway, it’s nice to meet you all~

6 Likes

My name is Kluck, hey hello
Welcome to my very own post
I’ll introduce my friends to you
Oh no! It’s Kanon.

6 Likes

Hi All, BlackRose here. I’m 22 and from London, UK. I’ve read Umineko which was my first ever VN and part 1 of Higabana (not Higruashi yet but I will get there haha!). I also have plans to read Rose Gun Days…someday. I was introduced to Umineko through the anime (although having finished Umineko I understand that it’s very lacking after watching it again to compare the two). I would love to go through the VN again since I read through it so fast that I didn’t stop to consider things to be honest.

Love Daisuke Ono (who voices Battler and Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji lol). One of my favourite characters is Dlanor A Knox who I introduced to my sister by showing her this clip of her amazing Engrish which is now a private joke between us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfJueMZJbIc

My other interests include Rock Music (Skillet, Memphis May Fire, RED, TFK, TDG, Theocracy etc); Vocaloid and Anime (mainly thrillers, I HATE Romcoms with a passion). I also am a massive fan of Kingdom Hearts and other random games like Jak & Daxter, Sonic, Assasin’s Creed. I am also looking really forward to FF15 coming out this year as well as the remake of FF7 :smiley:

Anyway, that’s enough about me. If you’d like to know anything more about me or discuss anything, please just ask :slight_smile: Over and out :wink:

4 Likes

Hello, I’m Alan and I’m 16 years old. I live in México and I love a lot all the 07thExpansion works.

Until this moment, I’ve only read Higurashi, Umineko, Higanbana and Rose Guns Days (I’m currently RGD).
The first novel I read from 07thExpansion was Higurashi. I read it because a friend of mine told me about it and I was interested in it, and I’m glad I read it, because she told me to watch the anime D:<
After I finished Higurashi, to be honest, I didn’t expect so much of Umineko, because I thought of Higurashi as the best history ever, but when I started Umineko, I fell in love with it. Since I started it, I can’t stop talking about it.

I found Rokkenjima while I was reading Umineko reviews and I was interested in it, so I checked it out.

Apart of 07thExpansion, I like a lot game series like Hyperdimension Neptunia and I play piano (so I play some of the Umineko and Higurashi songs). Thanks to 07thExpansion I learned how to love VN, so I started reading a lot of them.

I hope to get along with you all ;D

3 Likes

Glad to have you join us @AKASchuberto, @bionic, @biar, @Necem, @Kluck and @BlackRose! (Did I really miss that many introductions…?)

I hope I can count on your support to strengthen Rokkenjima as the place to be for English speaking 07th Expansion fans. We hope you enjoy the array of discussion topics and community events on offer. Be sure to hop by our Discord chat sometime as well!

1 Like

Edit: This was really long, sorry!

Hello! I’m Echo, I’d rather not tell my age, and I’m from Melbourne, Australia! It’s amazing to find such a collective of people so enthusiastic about 07th Expansion that speak English. I had no idea there was such a large fanbase for it since some series aren’t that well known (unfortunately).

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to read the VNs for Higurashi and Umineko, as it’s been troublesome getting my hands on the version I want. However, I’ve completely read Higurashi and Umineko, as well as watched the anime. I’ve only just started Rose Guns Days, and am slowly beginning to get back into Higanbana, as I lost interest in it for a while.
My first series was Higurashi, because my father came back from the library one day and dumped a bunch of manga into my arms and said that I might enjoy it. Little did either of us know, the book he gave me with a “4” marked on it was the very last volume in Matsuribayashi-hen, so before I got to read the series properly I already knew the ending. Oops.
Of course, my favourite has to be a tie between Higurashi and Umineko. They’re honestly just so different and have impacted me in such different ways that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to choose one over the other.

I found Rokkenjima through a Tumblr post! I have no idea who posted it, but I was scrolling through the Umineko tag when an advert for this community popped up! I’m very glad I was curious about this place.

My interests outside 07th Expansion… well, of course I love anime and manga (that might go without saying). I am a very passionate drawer! I have big ambitions for my future in illustrating, and I’m hoping to go to a college for an animation course for university (but it’s very very expensive, and in the USA, so I really need to save). Really, I don’t do much else except browse the internet and do Wing Chun (a type of martial art).

Bonus! I’m currently learning four languages, and I hope to increase that number!
Spanish - My mother’s native language is Spanish, so I’ve grown up with it, but I’m not very confident with my speaking ability, so I still consider myself learning.
Mandarin - Something I started due to school a few years ago, and have continue through online websites. I’m struggling with it…
Japanese - Woo! Probably the main language that I’m learning at the moment, and I’m advancing very quickly with it, which I am thankful for.
Latin - Ah, Latin. My grandfather was completely fluent in Latin, so that inspired me to learn it. I’m really terrible at it, though. One day I’ll get there (hopefully).

Anyway, that’s all about me! Once again, I am stunned that there’s such an active and strong community for 07th Expansion, and I hope to become active and get to know you all soon!

Thank you very much :smile:

5 Likes

@Echo Wooow, another melbourner? That makes three! Why are there so many 07th Expansion fans here??

Welcome to the community! Things are a bit quiet right now, but don’t be afraid to stir up some discussion by posting in any of our topics! Glad to have you join us.

Hello there!

Finally getting around to introducing myself. Like I said on discord, I’ve been trying to figure out what I’ve wanted to post for a while and then just end up deleting the whole thing.

So, my name is Donna and I have been a fan of 07th Expansion products since at least 2008. I’m 28 and I’m from Scotland!

I don’t remember how I got into 07th expansion’s works but I do remember that I watched all of the Higurashi anime episodes that were out at the time and then when the Umineko anime series came out I had just about finished Turn of the Golden Witch.

Apart from that, I enjoy a lot of different video games (Tales of series, Trails / Kiseki series, Blazblue, Project Diva series, Idolm@ster series etc) as well as many other visual novels (Little Busters, Steins;Gate, White Album 2, Narcissu etc).

5 Likes

Wow, you actually read the Umineko VN before the Anime came out? Bravo! I’m not sure many people here can say the same.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy what the forum has to offer!

Hey! My name is Alex, I’m from Kazakhstan.
Thats probably weird but the thing that got me into Umineko was the fighting ‘‘Ougon Musou Kyoku’’, since I was a huge fan of fightnings, I fell in love with this one. I still play it from time to time and I even got my non-weeb friend to play it and she even watched the anime (yeah, yeah its bad but she asked me if she can watch something about Umineko).
Then I got interested in Umineko and read everything within a month, I went to imageboards and discussed it with other people who liked it too. I was pretty much addicted. From the plot to soundtrack everything was amazing. Some of the tracks from Umineko are still on my playlist (like haze or liberatedliberater, dreamenddischarger they are really atmospheric and sonically produced very well with unique use of chords and ambient).
I did watched anime after novel and gotta say it was pretty lackluster and bad (not only most of the important scenes were cut off, the delivery was pretty bad overall). I think I wouldnt have read the novel if I watched anime first.
I also read first chapter of Higurashi recently on steam and gotta say it was amazing, with lots of good action and mystery. I couldnt get into anime, always dropped it around 8 episode, don’t know why.
I found Rokkenjima when I searched information about newest Trianthology novel from ryuukishi. Site looks pretty nice, but design could be more compact, still its pretty good :wink:
I’m big fan of k-pop music and I study music theory from time to time. On the daily basis I just watch tv-shows and play video games to kill my time since I have nothing to do.

5 Likes

Welcome @akafa123, glad you could make it! I hope you enjoy the community we’re aiming to provide here!

Ayy, I’m Turner, a college student, an aspiring filmmaker and an international man of mystery.

Only recently have I gotten into the 07th Expansion scene, after a friend gifted me Higurashi Ch. 1 a while back on Steam. I went into it completely blind, thinking it was just another garbage slice-of-life VN… I’m sure you can guess how thoroughly my assumptions were shattered. Since then, I’ve been picking up the Higurashi novels as they are re-released on Steam. As such I’ve only read chapters 1 through 3, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every second of them and I am eagerly awaiting the release of the remaining chapters.

I have not read Umineko yet, despite the fact that everyone has been urging me to for a while… I don’t know if I want to go down that rabbit hole quite yet (monetary barrier aside). I do look forward to reading it sometime soon though.

Other than that, I’m a casual fan of anime, a huge fan of video games and martial arts movies, and I love to make films. My ultimate goal is to make an HBO or Netflix series based on the Higurashi series!

2 Likes

Ha ha! I have a friend whose dream is to make an HBO Umineko series.

Welcome aboard! Those new to 07th expansion are our most valuable resource, so I hope you’ll be partaking in our Higurashi and Umineko Tea Parties! I may even end up scouting you to join our Podcasts :wink:

1 Like

Hello, noble goat companions!

I’m new in this forum, though I lurked around here since that one particular post about the new things in the improved translation for Seacats.

I’m a 21 y.o. Brazilian fellow who happens to live in Italy and know most of the active fanbase in the country, while also being pretty much the one who spreads the Ryukishi07 experience in the HUEHUEHUE’s forums and fan-groups most of the time (I also recently started with 10 of these members a collective weekly Umineko reading session on Stream, with each person dubbing 1-3 of their favorite characters).

I’m also an avid psychology student who also likes to learn and read about pretty much everything as a hobby; particularly interested in philosophy, mysticism in general and of course, the whole mystery genre.

Right now, I’m also trying hard to finish a new college course by learning japanese and chinese properly (as well as anything regarding the subject, being linguistics, Shinto, Budhism, philology, etc…).

Fascinated by the study of plot devices, storytelling techniques and overall prose style (“TVTropes” user in here), I’m also trying to write a nice book based on all the stuff I’ve been studying.

My favorite 07th Expansion title is Umineko no Naku Koro ni, and it’s also legitimately one of the most amazing things I’ve have ever read (and I read a considerable ammount of works). Up to this day, I’m still analysing the espectacular meta world Ryukishi created in there, being masterfully manipulated by a absurdly coherent mess, that only ultimately makes sense when you actually re-read the whole thing more than once. The complex narrative structure and the immensely layered world-building that is composed by it so subtly are things that I never EVER witnessed in any other work of fiction, nor non-fiction so far.

And with that said, I end my presentation.

Nice to meet you all! :smiley:

4 Likes

What an interesting guest we have! Welcome to the community @danpmss!

I’d love to hear more about the Brazilian fandom, if you ever feel like sharing.

@Aspirety
Right now, we are doing some streams reading Umineko altogether, as I was talking about (it’s a complete mess, but it’s a very enjoyable experience overall). Reading good old Seacats in group, each one interpreting the characters with the cringiest engrish and/or with ridiculously over-the-top large hams (me as Kinzo in a nutshell).

Here are the links, if you wanna see more or less how are we doing the stuff (I’m subbing it in english for some italian folks that want to join the fun on Youtube, but I got derailed by some studies lately, so, there are only available for the first two parts of the stream… a.k.a. the only ones with clickbait titles LOL):

Hello everyone, I’m a 15 years old guy from Italy. I discovered this forum yesterday and decided to join it. So, about 07th Expansion, I already read Higurashi and Umineko and I LOVED them. Seriously, I’m in love with the When They Cry universe and I keep thinking about it since having finished the VNs. Maybe it’s because Higurashi was just my second VN (the first one was Katawa Shoujo) or because I read it when I was still 14 years old but…it just made me enthusiastic like no other series did before. Umineko is currently my favourite series regardless of the media: videogames, movies, ecc. NOTHING so far seemed so awesome to me. I also watched the Higurashi’s first anime season, and I’m currently re-watching it with my best friend as I’m introducing him to this series (VN > Anime but there are reasons behind this choice. For Umineko, however, I’ll make sure he reads the VN), so I’ll watch the second season together with him in the future. I also watched the first live action (…no comment about the quality) and Higurashi Outbreak, which I first read (because I knew the anime was incomplete) together with Hinamizawa Bus Stop. Well, to make it short, let’s say I’m interested in reading/watching a lot of things regarding the When They Cry universe/07th Expansion/other Ryukishi07’s works. Outside of 07th Expansion, my main hobby is playing videogames in general (I especially like 2D Platform, Fighting games and I’m becoming more and more interested in Visual Novels since 2014). Oh, and I’m studying languages (English, French, Spanish). …OK, maybe I wrote too much and took a lot of time to write this but…oh well, I hope we can get along.

3 Likes

Welcome to our fragment, @Kiryu! I’m sure you’ll fit in just fine here!

Hello hello! Kihihihi.
My name is Maria (but not Ushiromiya) and I am a 23 y/o girl. I joined this fragment a while ago but never posted before.
You can call me Gretel. I’m in love with 07thExpansion since the first time I watched Higurashi when it was aired. My favourite work is obviously Umineko, I’m in eternal love with this story and will never leave my heart.
English is not my mother tonge so I apologize in advance if I make some mistakes!
Hope we all can be friends and discuss although I’m more an observer.

• Gretel
7 Likes