Introduce Yourself!

Goodness, everyone’s introductions are so long…! Hello, everyone, I’m Ashriels, I’m a 25 year old from Illinois, found this place through a google search, actually!

I first watched Higurashi back in high school and fell completely in love with the characters, the story, everything, and started doing whatever I could to get my hands on the visual novels and manga or anything else to complete my experience. I’ve yet to completely read the visual novels, mostly because of attention span…but with them coming out on Steam, I’m looking forward to finally rectifying that. It’s one of my absolute favorite narratives, especially regarding the theme of hope, which is. Kind of my thing.

I’ve also read Umineko! Which was…a wild ride, I’m re-reading it with my roommates (they are reading it for the first time) and it’s been great fun! I’ve had a bit of a rocky experience with discussing Umineko on forums, and it’s got me to really feel joy in the series again. …Because of that I’m incredibly shy about discussing Umineko but hopefully I’ll come out of my shell a little.

Honestly I’m just overjoyed to find a nice looking community, as Ryukishi07 is one of my favorite authors in…anything, really, and I’m looking forward to discussing his works, or at least lurking about a little. Maybe it’ll inspire me to read Higanbana or Rose Guns Days!

As for me otherwise…my interests are all over the place, I’m so very bad at intros, oops. Currently I’m all into video games, Kingdom Hearts series from my childhood and the like, but I tend to watch anything that fits my narrative priorities. …Which are very “ragtag group of misfits fighting fate,” heh.

I’m super not used to these kinds of forums, so I’m sorry if any formatting is off, or the like. this has gone on FAR too long, so there we are, I’m glad to have found this place!

7 Likes

Not at all! Welcome to our fragment, @Ashriels, and welcome also to @TanteiRiley! I hope you both enjoy your time here. Don’t be afraid to bump any old topics that interest you, all the better to stimulate more conversation!

1 Like

Removed

4 Likes

Welcome @brianhbrown! I hope you fit right in here. Yes, we have many fans of Goats Reading Seacats here as well~

Damn, this is one intricately coded website.

Hi! I’m Lodratio, 22, from Germany. I stumbled across the teaparty podcast on youtube and ended up here.

I got interested in Higurashi 3 years ago, when one of the few lets players I like decided to cover it, and I’ve been catching up with Ryukishis work ever since. I have read the main 8 Higurashi arcs as well as Rei, Higanbana 1st and 2nd night, and I’m currently at the second twilight of episode 6 of Umineko and just beyond the prologue of Iwaihime.
I like the aspect of forming, discussing and reworking theories on an ongoing story as it progresses, that longer series with episodic releases provide a platform for, but I wasn’t even aware of Umineko when it came out.

R07stuff aside I’m interested in anything storytelling related to a certain extent, and I’ve been working on my art skills for the past couple years, which has gradually become more important to me.

Nice to meet you all!

4 Likes

Hi there! I’m Pictoshark. I’m a really forgetful 19 year old from the UK. I’ve been lurking ever since I finished Ep 4 of Umineko using the mangagamer/steam release. I finally decided to register an account because it felt like that if I didn’t throw my theories somewhere my head might explode.

My interests mainly lie in video games and the like, I tend to like really deep gameplay focused video games, and visual novels, due to the fact that I feel that quite a lot of the time, gameplay can really get in the way of story, and story can really get in the way of gameplay.

My first VN was Steins;Gate, after that I read FSN Realta Nua, and right now I’m checking out Umineko. I was originally going to grab the fan transaltion of Ep 5-8 as soon as I finished the Question arcs, but as fate would have it, I finished Umineko while under the restriction of crappy holiday campsite wi-fi, so I was unable to.

A little after that with 3 days left in the holiday, I wandered around the steam discussion boards, and eventually found a thread about the tea party, which brought me to this wonderful little place. This period of trashy internet also made me start thinking about the mystery on my own, and with a little push from this ramble by @Karifean I eventually decided to start trying to solve the mystery by my own strength at the point I am at while I waited for the core arcs to come out on steam.

I’m going to be rereading the Episodes in order soon, and try to put some theories down in the discussion thread for Ep 4.

I’m looking forward to discussing things with the rest of you!

7 Likes

What the heck. I never expected that to actually get someone to give solving Umineko a shot. xD

Welcome to Rokkenjima. Very curious to see what theories you’ve come up with~

Hello, I’m samus. I live in the flat land of Kansas, smack in the center of the USA. I’m 20 years old. Despite my name, he/him is where it’s at for me.

First off, thank you for this community. I’ve been looking for a place to meet other 07th fans and besides this have found NONE. I came here after reading a very passionate post about how Umineko isn’t just a story, and out of desire to find others like me, too.

I am a fan of Umineko to the point that it is, quite literally, becoming my life.

Years ago, I’d only seen the name “Higurashi” floating around the internet. I knew the anime was really violent after watching a scene on youtube. I had no idea who created Higurashi at the time, but I remember trying to watch an episode of the series shortly after seeing the youtube clip. Not only could I not get into the story, but I also couldn’t handle the violence of the series. I’m far too squeamish. So I put Higurashi down and never touched it again.

Back in 2014 I met my best friend. She is deeply connected to the works of 07th Expansion, and is a huge fan. The one she always went on about was Umineko. At first, after noticing Umineko and Higurashi were by the same people, I had no interest in it. I figured it would be too violent. But she adored the series, mainly one of the characters ((who she is now happily dating ^w^)). I felt terrible because I didn’t understand a lot of what she was talking about? Red? Blue? Witches? Fragments? Pieces? Game boards? Whaaaaaat?? So in an attempt to better understand her and her boyfriend, I went on to try Umineko.

It started with the anime.
I had no idea what was going on, but I loved it and found it very entertaining.
I liked it so much, in fact, that I went ahead and pirated the visual novel sometime in late 2015. I’m not sure when I began reading Umineko, but I’m thinking sometime in October. EP1 dragged ooooooooooooon. I had such a hard time getting into it and wanted to get to a part I found “interesting”, so I sped through Episodes 1 and 2. Then I didn’t touch the story very often. I liked the anime, but the vn seemed terribly slow. Some time in January I decided to open Umineko up again, and thought to myself “Y’know what? This isn’t right. I shouldn’t just breeze through the story. I need to take my time to process what I read and reflect on the scenes…” And so, I did. I started over, going slowly this time.

And boy, by the end of EP2 I was hooked.
I found the visual novel incredibly interesting, and so I went ahead and purchased the games instead of being content with pirated copies. The games are now my prized possessions, along with my anime discs ((which I can’t even watch because of the region, but I don’t mind. I like looking at them. <3)) and EP1/2 of the manga ((manga collection is growing slowly, haha)). My Umineko stuff is my favorite stuff, and I look forward to having the rest of the manga in the future. I’m not too worried about hurrying with that collection though, since I’m definitely more focused on the visual novel. ((I even went ahead and bought the Higurashi anime, though I don’t have Kai yet.)) I actually have feelings for one of the characters from Umineko, though I have yet to meet them in the story… I feel like we would probably get along really well.

Despite having the Higurashi anime, I have yet to watch it. I just got it because I found it at a local store and knew it was 07th stuff, which I wanted to support.

I am currently on Episode 5 of the Umineko visual novel and I am loving it. Please don’t spoil it for me!

Contrary to most fans, I’m not interested in knowing the human side of Umineko. I used to want to know, but I find the magic of the Witch side so infatuating that that’s what I want to believe is real. I may or may not be disappointed about this by the end, but I can always reread the series and experience the magic of the witches once again.

Umineko is my first 07th work and the only one I have read ((but I’m actually sorta interested in picking up the Higurashi visual novel, as well nowadays.)). It’s also my favorite, and despite not having completed the story yet I can say it’s my favorite work of fiction.

Sorry if this is too… confusing? I’m sure I’m not well-organized! Haha.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge regarding the end of Umineko, too! Hope we can maybe be friends despite that, heh…

EDIT: Also, I love drawing! Here’s my tumblr!

6 Likes

hi everyone. my name is lain! i’m from the USA.

i first stumbled across 07th expansion thanks to the higurashi anime back in…09, i think. it quickly became my favourite show! still is. i quickly read the manga as well and then in 2011 finally went on to read the visual novels – or those that were available on iOS, anyways. i don’t think i’ve ever actually finished the VNs. i should do that.

after i finished the anime adaptation of higurashi i immediately moved on to umineko and was kinda disappointed with it, so i sort of forgot about it until i read the manga since the VNs are impossible to find. but now that i’ve read the manga umineko is definitely my favourite out of the 07 games! i’m excited to finally read the VNs now that they’re easily available on steam. i had only ever been able to read chapter 1 prior till now.

i found rokkenjima on tumblr, scrolling through the umineko tag, haha. i’m so glad a sight like this exists. i need more buddies who like umineko and higurashi.

outside of 07, i like other anime and manga, some of my favs being trigun, trigun: maximum, tokyo ghoul, pandora hearts, and baccano. i like video games like ace attorney, dangan ronpa, and games kind of within that realm as well, although my favourite video game is psychonauts. i like to draw and write and read.

i greatly anticipate getting to know you all!

3 Likes

A new goat approaches.

Hi, I’m qno, from Germany in my mid twenties.

I have read most of the VNs (everything except Trianthology). The Higurashi anime (dreadful as it is, compared to the original) was my gateway drug to the rest. Umineko however is by far my favorite and I’ve been following the whole series discussions on animesuki for as long as they lasted (so I do recognise a few names here and there; tho I was mostly just a lurker).

I looked through the steam page for Umineko and found the podcasts.

Aside being an unemployed psychologist and gamer? Not much I suppose. I dabbled in learning Japanese, in the actual Touhou games and in the mystery genre in general, without much to show for it.

Thank you for having me. Okay, I guess there was little in the way of choice involved there. I hope everyone, especially those new to Higurashi and Umineko, will enjoy the opportunity to discuss the stories with other people, just as confused and eager to learn the truth as themselves.

@Aspirety: Thank you so much for this site. I had to read Umineko all on my lonesome, together with my trusty, overloaded excel sheets full of notes, screenshots, interpretations, etc., and it is great that this site gives new readers the ability to discuss Ryukishi’s stories with others without the fear of having half the story spoiled from the get go.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m Replicator.
I’m from Germany and I learned about Higurashi/Umineko/07th Expansion about a year ago and couldn’t wait to get my hands on the official Steam releases. I’m a gamer, who loves Real Time Strategy games and all sorts of other genres and was following the discussions on the Steam forums. That’s where I found out about Rokkenjima.org and I’m very happy about that, because I couldn’t really find a place on the internet where all the 07th Expansion fans are gathering.

Normally I don’t talk that much on forums, but either way I’ll be following everything that’s about to happen on this site.
Have fun :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello My Name is SuperM and i come from Germany.

I Have Watched The Higurashi Anime and the Umineko Anime (but Umineko dropped After Episode 4).
Read: Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni (the first and Second Night [VN]), Umineko no Naku Koro ni / Chiru / Hane /Tsubasa [VN] and i currently Read the Umineko Manga (Im in Episode 3) and i plan to read all other works from 07th Expansion (Im really Hyped for TRT)
My first VN was Umineko and first anime Higurashi.
My favourite work is Umineko i looooove it.

I found this site through the Rokkenjima Twitter site.
Some of my Interests outside of 07th Expansion are listening to Music, read Visual Novel/Mangas, watch Anime or play Games with Friends.

Random Facts about me:
I State This in Red! I Really Really Love Bernkastel!
(Pretty much all about me hihi and i hope you got enough impressions from me)

5 Likes

Hey I’m Valkama. I’m from the United States.

I browsed the Animesuki board for Umineko years ago and decided to check in to find them dead but with a link here and it seems discussion is pretty active here so I might poke my head in every once in a while. Umineko is my favorite of 07th’s works as I’ve never gotten into their other stuff.

I’m not that into anime like most people I know but I can be a nerd of mysteries and such. I’m very much interested in physics and I’m currently in college working towards two an engineering majors. I also enjoy quite a number of video games but my interests are constantly changing and no genre holds my attention for very long, currently I’ve been interested in SRPG’s and in particular Berwick Saga and Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. I also enjoy outdoor activities and I’m an active Geocacher though school has been cutting into that somewhat.

So yeah I guess I’ll see you all around.

3 Likes

Vielen lieben Dank!:wink: I had a pretty important exam so my reply is a bit late… But Im already looking forward to take a look at this topic. And I might really start a new one after that :slight_smile:

May I join this elegant and intellectual tea party? It looks like there’s still some activity, which is promising.

I bought Umineko through Steam when it was on sale, and started it about a week ago. Then I devoured the story with a Beelzebub-like gluttony, and – this is true – when I noticed I was midway through Episode 4 on October 4, resolved to finish it by October 5.

Of course I’d forgotten, between buying Umineko and playing it, that there was such a thing as the Questions arc and the Answers arc. I truly believed that by midnight on October 5, the story would be concluded. When the seagulls cried, all answers would be revealed!

Ahahaha. Kihihihihi. Not so much.

I found Rokkenjima because, with all sorts of questions still knocking around in my brain, I searched ‘Umineko Questions Arc discussion.’ I didn’t want to look for spoilers outright, or have the answers handed to me, but I wanted to see what other chess-players were thinking. And so here I am! I read all the spoiler-free forum threads, and listened to both podcasts. I want to get it on the discussion, but I’m not sure where I should charge in. I have far more questions than answers. But I haven’t stopped thinking!

6 Likes

It’s been a while since I greeted the new members!

A warm welcome to @Lodratio, @pictoshark, @samus, @lain, @qno, @Replicator, @SuperM, @Valkama and @mimsy! Quite a few new faces. I hope you’re all enjoying the forum!

Don’t forget to jump on by our Discord chat. And please keep an eye out for our Tea Party discussions. Next up is Umineko Episode 3 in a few weeks!

2 Likes

Is Episode 3 coming so soon? I’m looking forward to it! Thank you for the kind welcome!

3 Likes

You’re one of the newest Umineko fans I’ve seen! Man oh man, welcome to Rokkenjima!

Hello everyone! What an amazing forum. I hope you all will welcome me.

My name is Sophia. I’m from the United States and I’m a 21 year old college student.

I have seen the Higurashi anime, but have basically no experience with the manga and none with the visual novel. I have read the entire Umineko manga as well as the visual novel and the shameful adaption that is the anime. I love it a lot. Like so very much, so I’m incredibly interested in seeing what everyone here is saying about it.

I found the podcast on Youtube and I had to come and check out the forum.

I’m honestly interested in a whole lot of things, from anime to television to books, but I especially love the mystery and science fiction genres, which is probably why I find Umineko so amazing.

I’m very pleased to meet you all!

4 Likes