Introduce Yourself!

Go read Umineko now. Just skip higurashi, you can read that while we wait for chiru. Go! RUN! RUN LIKE THE WIND!!! THE GREATEST TALE EVER TOLD AWAITS YOU!

3 Likes

Yo everyone! Names Chloe, Iā€™m from NYC. 07thexpansion is my absolute favorite VN dev out there with Liarsoft being a close second. My introduction to R07 was when I was 12/13, I had just finished the Umineko anime and I was looking for a continuation. And lo and behold I found the amazing Visual Novel.
While I have read most of the Higurashi manga, nothing compares to how deeply Uminko affected me. While I do recognize its flaws, it is a wonderful postmodern mystery that I think could be regarded as a classic in the future!
Uh, if you want to know anything else, Iā€™m black, 17, and recently got accepted into Brockport suny.
Also, Iā€™m rereading Umineko for the third time after a long while. And I like Pandora Hearts.
Edit: In a shameless self promo, here is my tumblr: http://down-the-rabbit-well.tumblr.com/

5 Likes

Wow a pandora hearts fan. I used to go under the username ā€œEcho Of Noiseā€ for a time.
Welcome to Rokkenjima. Hope you find something interesting for you here.

Thanks! Er, didnā€™t you used to be one of the translators for Witch Hunt? Thanks for all your hard work.

Iā€™ve been around a while but not introduced myself properly, so, hi! Iā€™m Bunny, a long-term fan of all things R07. Umineko has consistently remained my favourite work of fiction in any medium, it really touched me, and Iā€™ll never tire of discussing it. I generally prefer mystery and drama oriented stories, in VNs, anime, film, books, and graphic novels. Iā€™m also a big fan of puzzle and strategy games.

I live in a small town in Scotland, enjoying the relative quiet and space of it, and Iā€™m probably one of the older people here. Iā€™m looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Just to address the elephant in the room, Iā€™m the same BunnyAdvocate as the mod on /r/visualnovels for many years. There was a whole lot of drama there over me being transgender and my struggles with depression. If anyone wants to discuss it then please give me a PM anytime, but Iā€™d rather not hash that mess out in public.

12 Likes

Guess Iā€™m a bit late to post here, but whatever.
Iā€™m King Titanite XV, the fifteenth in the line of magic blacksmiths. I was first introduced to Umineko a loooooong time ago via hearing about the various 07th anime but didnā€™t watch it (and Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t). I read along with @Pictoshark through episodes 1-4 and Iā€™ve bounced back some theorycraft with him sometimes. I made an account here just for the gameboard tbh, otherwise I wouldā€™ve just used my brothers account.

I have a whole bunch of fun facts that demonstrate the strangeness of events that go on in my life due to misorganisation - if thatā€™s even a word - but the one Iā€™ll share here is that my phone has the most awful autocorrect due to my poor typography on touchscreens when I first got it. Weā€™re talking adding BBC randomly into sentences, turning ā€œthatā€ into ā€œthstā€ over and over as a correction, sometimes even autocorrecting the spacebars between certain words to "b"s.

I want to give a warm welcome to anyone else joining this cozy community. Iā€™ve been here for a while and for some reason never considered posting my intro hereā€¦well whatever. Either way I recommend anyone here to not join the discord server. Itā€™s a hellfire of memes, which isnā€™t to anyoneā€™s liking at all. /s
But seriously, donā€™t do what I do and make sure you post on the forums sometimes.

Might expand this post later, probs not.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone, Im Thanatos or wathever and Im from Argentina, I first watched the Umineko anime back when it first aired, I really liked the Higurashi one and I wanted to see what this new thing was all about, I had heard great things about the VNs but I dont usually play those so I ignored them back then.

Back to the Umineko anime: I loved to concept but I thought the execution was terrible, but for some reason I kept using the opening as a ringtone because its just too awesome. Years passed, and finally in 2015 I decided I should try to know more about this song that was on my phone for literally years and years so I started reading the first episode in manga form.

I think this was when first saw the TRUE Umineko, it drew me in like no other manga or murder mystery before had, in fact, I lliked it so much that I decided to at least give the VN a chanceā€¦ and there was no turning back from there.

Not much else to say, Umineko has since become my favorite THING ever, not manga, not anime, not VN, THING. Im glad I finally decided to join this forum and I hope to share my love for it with this community.

5 Likes

A big warm welcome to @VyseGolbez, @Pandora, @BunnyAdvocate and @Thanatos! (I wish I wasnt the only one greeting newbies hereā€¦)

By now most of you wouldve had time to spread your wings and get to know the community, so Id love to know. What do you think of Rokkenjima?

2 Likes

While I havenā€™t looked into the main attraction of this site (the 07th topics (but I have started Umineko now, so soonā„¢)) yet, from the off topic discussions I get a feel of ā€œLike Kaza, but about 07th expansion insteadā€. So good job on building another friendly community!

It really is the best thing to come out of the anime. I really love the opening a lot. Also - Welcome! :slight_smile: I know Umineko mostly through the manga myself.

Welcome to all of the new people - many of whom have already been better than me at being regular posters. I hope you enjoy Rokkenjima :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its been fine so far. Certain people can be annoying mememasters :bern: but other than that, I like the community here. Having a forum where people are friendly and polite is always a good thing. Another good thing about this place is that everyone here is quite passionate about 07th expansion (especially Umineko), so discussion is always interesting and lively.

Rokkenjima can be a bit on the slow side activity wise, which is a little disappointing But we all have lives I guess.

I will never forget what you said about Bernie Sanders

Feeling bad for commies
(lol

Forgetting brackets

lol

That was a fluke. :mariaemo:

What do you think of Rokkenjima?

On a purely superficial level, the forum interface is great! I really love all the little alerts you get when someone replies to you and the highlighting of new threads/comments. Itā€™s so much nicer than the old phpbb forums.

The community seems pleasant. Itā€™s nice to be able to fangirl about Umineko without feeling the scornful eyes of haters. Everyone seems to be polite and I think Iā€™ll enjoy it here.

My only small complaint is the low amount of activity here. I spent a long time moderating /r/visualnovels so Iā€™m fully aware of how crappy most newbie posts can be, but I feel like the limits of creating threads might be a little too strict and are stifling discussion. Even when newbie posts arenā€™t in themselves insightful or interesting, the discussions they provoke can be. As a long time R07 fanatic, I feel like so far most of the discussions here are covering fairly old ground, but Iā€™m hoping that in time weā€™ll branch out a bit more. Iā€™ve got plans for quite a few threads thatā€™ll hopefully be fun once I get to a sufficient permission level.

I donā€™t want to end on a negative note, so thanks again for the welcome here. Iā€™m really looking forward to chatting with you all~

5 Likes

I LOVE the design of the site and the interface, as BunnyAdvocate said, is great. The community seems pretty cool too, ask me again in a few weeks and IĀ“ll give you a more detailed answer.

Hi. Higurashi is something dear to me, or at least it was. Timeā€™s funny. Umineko is something Iā€™ve been struggling with for a long time now. Iā€™ll get the best of it eventually.
I must have known of Higurashi for a long time. What actually got me to read it was of all things some sort of medley of popular/meme songs from anime and games from Nico Nico Douga which included Dear You. From there I listened to a bunch of the Higurashi image songs, and then took the dive into the VN.
A little while after I finished it, by chance I befriended a witch. I would have read Umineko anyway, but the opportunity to read it under the tutelage of someone who understands was really valuable. She helped me to see at least the vague outlines in the story of that which without love cannot be seen. I read EP1-5 like that over some months. After EP5 I developed something of a mental block, not wanting to progress without understanding properly and also feeling something like a voyeur into such a personal story. This was in late 2014, I havenā€™t read any further since. Some time after that my friend and I drifted apart kinda. I reread it sometimes, but starting EP6 is difficult.
Iā€™m actually not sure whether or how much I might participate in this community. I really donā€™t want to be influenced by anyone other than my friend while Iā€™m still forming beliefs. Once Iā€™ve finished it and theyā€™re solidified Iā€™ll be ready to read and discuss and argue. Not now though. I canā€™t guess when that will be.
I joined thinking I might take part in the anime streamā€“it seemed like a low commitment and low risk but interesting thing that I might find something out ofā€“but that didnā€™t work out. And it also looks like you all use voice chat principally, which isnā€™t something I can do. Donā€™t take that as a complaint that needs to be addressed, Iā€™m sure almost everyone nowadays are happy with voice chat and Iā€™m an outlier.
Not even sure why Iā€™m posting this except that I said I would in the discord registration thread. At the very least it was nice to read everyoneā€™s self introductions and learn a little about the kind of people I share this strange thing with. Hope youā€™re all able to find your way to the Golden Land.

edit: I guess I should say I found this through the Steam forum of either Umineko or a Higurashi release. Probably @Aspiretyā€™s promotion efforts. Looks like youā€™ve got a few people recently even if you didnā€™t get me, so keep it up.

@hempelsraven I think you misunderstand! The Umineko viewing wasnā€™t just over voice chat, we have dedicated text channels to contribute to even if you just want to listen in. Itā€™s a shame you didnā€™t participate, wouldā€™ve loved to see you join us! Nonetheless, I hope to see you around more, particularly in the Higurashi topics!

@BunnyAdvocate Topic creation used to be less restricted, but we decided to restrict it after a high volume of new users posting very low-quality topics that didnā€™t leave any room for discussion. Not to shoehorn all new members into the same box, but restricting topic creation to members whoā€™ve used the forum for a bare minimum amount of time does reduce a lot of the spam we were receiving. The witch rank doesnā€™t take much to achieve, it just requires spending a little bit of time on the forum and getting to know your way around. The biggest hurdle is simply, being on the forum for a few days. Nonetheless, Iā€™m glad you are enjoying the community here! Itā€™s an honour to have someone so instrumental in the /r/visualnovels Umineko discussion joining our humble community. I have high aspirations for Rokkenjima to become the face of the western WTC fandom, but we have a ways to go yet. At the very least, many of the core figureheads of the 07th fandom, and even some of The Witch Hunt have joined our ranks. We just need to encourage more activity.

1 Like

@Aspirety Youā€™ll know the newbie post situation better than I do, so I apologise if I stepped on any toes. Iā€™m just a little antsy while Iā€™m waiting to become a Witch as Iā€™m not sure how far away from it I am. Thank you for the kind welcome (:

@hempelsraven Welcome to the forum! Iā€™m sorry to hear about your mental block on progressing past ep5, but I can understand how difficult it might be especially if you associate it with your old friend. As for your comment about feeling like a voyeur, thatā€™s a good point, (Mild Umineko ep 5+ theme spoilers)Umineko does get very personal. But if thereā€™s one thing Beatrice really wants, itā€™s to be understood, so your ā€œpeepingā€ isnā€™t unwelcome.

1 Like