Introduce Yourself!

I’ll keep Higanbana in mind when I feel like reading VNs again, im drained after umi, but thanks for suggesting it and welcoming me here

2 Likes

Hi, everyone on Rokkenjima. I’ve already posted in a couple of threads here and thought that I could as well make a little introduction.
I live in Moscow, Russia and try (not too successfuly yet) to make a living by drawing anime girls.
I made a first contact with 07th Expansion in 2008 (I guess?) when I saw Higurashi anime, which had completely blown me away with it’s atmosphere and plot. I was obsessed with it for a little while, but was pretty dissapointed with the second season and then kinda left it behind. Then Umineko anime came out, and I liked it (especially the music, and I still think that the OP is fantastic), but not as much as Higurashi. Rushed 3-4 arcs and no second season didn’t make it a great experience as well. I tried to read VN, but didn’t get past the first episode (same as Higurashi, btw). I didn’t touch anything by 07th Expansion after that (well, not exaclty, I still was listening to the songs from both Higurashi and Umineko from time to time) until this year when I have suddenly decided to put an end to this and went through all the Umineko manga basically in one sitting. Which was a bit too much it seems, because now I am a fan, and there is no way out. I still have novels almost untouched, so I guess I am a noob despite being in this for such a long time, but it’s gonna change pretty soon (I hope). And I am so ready for the new “Naku Koro ni” series, which will be the first Ryuukishi’s work that I will be reading in ongoing.
I found Rokkenjima while I was trying to find some Higurashi/Umineko podcasts, I guess. And I found them alright! All the Tea Parties are great, and I re-listen them regularly. My only complaint is that there are so few of them.
My other interests are basically anime and manga (and a little bit of tokusatsu). I am a fan of studios Gainax and Trigger and their directors Hideaki Anno (Gunbuster and Evangelion, also Shin Godzilla) and Imaishi Hiroyuki (Gurren-Lagann and Kill La Kill). I am also interested in mythology (especially in comparative mythology), and, of course, in learning how to draw and paint better.
That’s it, I guess. Sorry for the length of this introduction and for my bad English skills. Yoroshiku!

12 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
If you like the tea parties so much, maybe you’d like to join one? Theres a thread to sign up for them, and we’re currently working on Episode 6 of Umineko! Or if you don’t want to actively talk in one, you can also join our threads for talking about the episodes! We do have spoiler and non spoiler threads for each episode, so be weary of that.
On top of the tea parties, we also do fun things like games! You can choose to participate in one, or simply lean back and watch others play. Either way, it tends to be lots of fun!
I hope you enjoy your stay here~

2 Likes

Nah, I am not too comfortable with my English speaking abilities (and speaking in general, lol), so I would rather remain a listener. But thanks for the invitation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like you’d be quick to befriend @Karifean. Considering that that guy is also a FF nerd, Touhou nerd, and a little bit Fighting Game nerd. I think he also played Persona 3, so check that one off the list too.

1 Like

Hmm~ now that sounds great =P Welcome to the forums!

1 Like

Wow I wonder who that friend was :eyes:

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I just joined here on Rokkenjima after reading through Higurashi non-spoiler discussions and listening to two of the tea parties! So far everyone seems really great, welcoming, and interesting to listen to.

About me: I’m 27 and from the US. I’m more of an RPG/FPS gamer and recently gotten into VNs (thanks to Higurashi chapters 1&2, as well as doki doki literature club). Loving Higurashi so far and the discussions here make it much more engrossing!

Looking forward to making my way through Higurashi, Umineko, and other works with you!

9 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima! I hope you continue to find the community here welcoming. We’re doing our Umineko tea party right now, but feel free to discuss your thoughts on Higurashi’s chapters if you so choose. We value all kinds of discussion, and don’t be afraid to necro old threads.

Thank you for joining!

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I am a 22 year old from New Zealand.

I’ve read the Steam releases of Higurashi 1 to 5 and Umineko. My favorite in terms of sending a chill down, Higurashi and in terms of Music, Umineko, but Higurashi’s really good in a way. In terms of story, it’s hard to pick a winner but I like both.

I found about Rokkenjima via a reddit post that had a link to this website.

My interests are outside of 07th expansion works are Dragon Ball, Comic books, classic games and history.

If there’s anything that interests me about this website, it would be the Gameboard section as it’s a lot of fun gathering clues and having a good chuckle over some of the blue truths.

11 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
Maybe you’d like to join our discussions for Higurashi and Umineko? We have threads for each arc (both spoiler and non spoiler) where we trade theories back and forth or just point out interesting things we noticed. If you also want to, we have podcast/tea parties for each of the arcs! We are currently working through Chiru, and will finish up Higurashi as the arcs come out on steam.
Since you enjoyed Higurashi and Umineko so much, maybe you’d like to try reading Higanbana no Saku Yoru Ni? It also has a way of making you feel unnerved while delivering a good story and interesting characters.
I hope you enjoy your stay~

3 Likes

Hi everyone! Happy to join the forum.

My 07th Expansion experience started out when I watched the Higurashi anime about 10 years ago, and then the Umineko anime as it came out. This is when I narrated How Battler Stole Witchmas. Soon after that, I read the Umineko VNs up to EP 6 when Witch Hunt released their translation, and fell in love with the story. EP 4 in particular stuck with me, and I came away with a new appreciation for the power of stories, and the motivation to learn Japanese. I’ve stuck with Japanese ever since, though for some reason I didn’t read any more Umineko until about a year ago, when I stumbled on Goats Reading Seacats. Their analysis inspired me to finally read through all the VNs, which I did with my younger sibling. Now I’m working through the Higurashi VNs for the first time.

Looking forward to the discussion with you all!

13 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
Have you seen our Tea Parties/Podcasts for Higurashi and Umineko? We have done them for all the Higurashi arcs released on Steam so far, and are currently working through Chiru. We’ve also done them for the first and second night of Higanbana no Saku Yoru Ni, which I heavily recommend you give a try if you have not done so already.
If you like other people reading Umineko and analyzing it, you might like Jokrono and MagusVerborum’s readthrough! Its under the thread “ A Seasoned Veteran and a Sherlock-in-Training Try to Make Sense of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni“ and is pretty fun to watch/listen to.
Apart from this we also have various gameboards that fellow members will host!
I hope you enjoy your stay!

1 Like

Hello everyone!
I’m happy to join in the 07th Expansion community. I’m a 22 year old french man, studying maths as to become a teacher. I got into Umineko off the recommendation of a friend, and I must admit that it was a good recommendation.
So I just read Umineko until Ep 7 and found it great so far but in my opinions it has its flaws too. Looking forward to this last Ep to have a definite opinion.

My other interests are mainly video games (while begin a huge fan of fighting games), sports (boxing, work out, cycling…), and of course discuss/debate on various topics hence my reason to join this community.

That’s pretty much it ! In the hope to find the truth, with all of you.

11 Likes

Hello people of the Rokkenjima forum. My name is Jorge Motta, I’m 25 years old. I have a friend who really likes Umineko. And he insisted on making me play since 2011 ~ 2012. I’m a terrible friend… Lol.

But it’s because I did not play serious and long visual novels, only a few +18, if you understand me. All this changed when I discovered Rewrite at the end of 2016. I remembered the recommendation of my friend and Umineko was my second great visual novel. I had never read a mystery before, I let a lot of things go by, and lost to the witch many times. lol. I replayed it after it was over and I think I quite understood what happened on that island. I have not yet taken the time to look at forums and see if my vision matches everyone, since much has been left open. But I do not intend to do that now. I have not watched or played any other 07th game yet.

11 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
I do hope you’ll share your opinions in the threads we have here! It’s always nice to hear from new people.
Since you like fighting games, have you given Golden Fantasia a look? It was recently released on Steam and is a fighting game with various Umineko characters! I havent played it yet myself, but it seems like lots of fun.
Since you like hearing other peoples opinions and theories, maybe you’d like to listen to our previous tea parties/ podcasts? Or maybe you’d like to sign up for a future tea party? We love having new voices join the discussion.
Have you read Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? It came out before Umineko and is part of the When They Cry series. So far the first five arcs have been released on steam, but the series is definitely worth a try if you enjoyed Umineko.
I hope you enjoy your stay!

2 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
When you want to compare and exchanging theories, we’ll be here! Until that day, I look forward to hearing from you in the discussions!
Do you know what 07th Expansion game you’d play next? Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni and Higanbana No Saku Yoru Ni are worth reading if you enjoyed Umineko, but there is also Rose Guns Days and others if you wanna take a break from the When They Cry series.
We also have a discord server, if that sort of thing appeals to you, but you have to obtain Witch ranking on here in order to join. If that seems scary or like it might take a while, all you have to do is read some threads and like some posts and maybe comment on something and you’ll have Witch rank in no time!
I hope you enjoy your stay~

3 Likes

I intend to play Higurashi, but I do not want to go through the same problem that I went through with Umineko. I was playing the HD version on Steam with the original sprites (I like unique art styles) and with the voices of PS3. when I went to play Chiru, I could not play with the original graphics and the voices. or I had to play voiceless, or I had to put the PS3 graphics to hear the voices. Not to mention the resolution 640x480 that is horrible on my monitor. I ended up playing with the PS3 graphics. Only in November came Chiru on Steam. and then I played the two again and came to the forum. when I saw that Higurashi was not yet complete on Steam, I decided to wait not to suffer again.

Battler’s hair is very cool in the original art.

6 Likes

How’s it going everyone? I’m Twizzlers-Sama. I come from the USA and am studying to be an English Major. As of writing this i’ve only read Umineko. I’ve seen a bit of Higurashi but not enough to have a solid opinion on it yet. Umineko is probably one of my all time favorite things out there. It just incorporates everything I love about fiction into this stir pot of ideas/philosophies/etc. that just come together to create something that has affected me unlike anything i’ve ever read. I found Rokkenjima just by searching around online whilst looking for a place to chat with people about Umineko/VNs in general.

Outside of Umineko I enjoy Japanese media just in general. I love reading/watching it and just love having people around to discuss it with. My favorite VN besids Umineko would have to be Muv Luv.

So with that said, I eagerly await being able to discuss with all of you about this awesome franchise! :smiley:

10 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
If you wanna talk about Umineko, we have threads for each arc both in “spoiler” and “nonspoiler” form. We also have a discord server with lots of wonderful people on it, but you have to reach Witch ranking here first in order to gain access.
We also have some gameboards on here if you wanna partcipate in one! Everyone always keeps it interesting.
I hope you enjoy your stay here!

2 Likes