Introduce Yourself!

Heyy, figured I’d introduce myself and start becoming active.
I’m selkie, 20 something y/o from SC in the USA.
My seacat craze started somewhere around 2012/2013, when my friend tried to drag me into doing a cosplay with her. It quickly became my favorite series ever. Sadly I can’t get any of my friends to really get into it, even the people who pulled me in to begin with didn’t read the VNs.

I had seen the Higurashi anime before I had heard of Umineko, it seemed mandatory at the time, but it never really drove an obsession like Umi has. I had the VN for mobile to try it but I failed to finish it.

In my spare time I like to follow various creative pursuits, building things, drawing stuff, making music, whatever.

I’m looking forward to getting into gameboards, as that’s an itch I’ve really been wanting to scratch. I put forth the idea to my tabletop friends that I could run a murder mystery campaign (following the rules of the Umiverse), so I’d like to get some insight and/or practice.
Aside from that, probably show off some cosplay stuff and discuss theories. Maybe get burned at the stake for discussing Rosatrice theory. (Did I use that right?)

4 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima little seacat!

Have you tried reading other works like Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni or Rose Guns Days? You might enjoy those too.
We have lots of gameboards around, actually there are 3 currently active: “The Chain of the Impaler”, “Bernkastel’s Last Bow”, and “The Evening When The Cards Fell”, and if you don’t want to try catching them up, you can also make your own after achieving witch rank, and with this rank you’re also allowed to join the discord channel.
We also have threads discussing WTC 5 where you can post your own theories about it and see what other members are thinking about it.
Now, about your last part: We’re a friendly community and would never burn anyone at the stake, even if you talk about Rosatrice theories. Actually all theories are very much encouraged around so the worst think you could worry about is to have over 100 notifications if you start such a heated topic and stay away for too long.
Enjoy your stay!!

1 Like

I suppose an introduction would be suitable.

However, talking about myself doesn’t appeal to me very much. I find others far more interesting. Perhaps that is why I’m fond of reading. And so one day I stumbled upon Visual Novels and swiftly realized they were made for me.
And Umineko was special to me. Is still special, in fact. And will forever be special, of that I am sure.
But enough about me. I’m looking forward to meeting all these new people and finding out what interesting things go on about in their heads. But do forgive me, I am unfortunately a shy person and so might not be able to express my appreciation for you as much as I would like to. It is also the first time I join a community like this, and I’m both excited and slightly anxious. Although, the former is definitely the stronger feeling.
Ah, this has been embarrassing. But it is important I convey these things.
“Important for who?” you might ask.
I’d like to know as well.

I hope we’ll get along well.

12 Likes

Nice to have you here Vetinari! Hope you enjoy your time here!

I was also pretty shy when I first joined Rokkenjima but I have started talking a lot ever since then. Everyone here is really nice so don’t feel afraid to talk to people. If you really enjoyed Umineko and you haven’t read it already, you can read the psudo-prequel to Umineko in Higurashi no naku koro ni. It takes place in the same universe as Umineko but has a different setting and characters to it. The first 5 arcs are currently on steam for purchace. If you really like Rykushi’s writing style there is also Higabana no naku soro ni and Rose Gun Days that are also written by him, though I can’t really say anything about them as I have not read them myself.

Can’t wait to get to know you Vetinari!

2 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
I’m also anxious in these types of things, but the community here is very nice and encouraging, and I hope you find it that way too.
I hope you enjoy your stay!

1 Like

Hey folks!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here :slight_smile:

I’m Philpax, and I harken from the golden plains of Australia (no connection to the Golden Land, at least not that I’m aware of!) A friend dared me to read one of the Umineko manga in less than two hours, and being the voracious reader I am, I took them up on it - and then the expected happened: I got hooked, started binging Question Arc, and ended up here through that very same friend! Right now, I’m making my way through Answer Arc and am eagerly reading everyone’s theories as I go.

Outside of Umineko stuff, I primarily like playing sandbox-style games, and occasionally dabble in writing and other artistic pursuits. Looking forward to hanging around and maybe dropping in on the odd discussion or two! :smiley:

7 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
I do hope you’ll join in on the discussions for Umineko! We always appreciate new voices. Have you read Higurashi or Higanbana? People who like Umineko tend to also like these works of Ryuukishi07.
We also have games going on if you ever wish to join one! The Game Masters always make sure to keep us from boredom, and its fun to just watch sometimes.
I hope you enjoy your stay~

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m Mafalda, an 18-year-old girl from Portugal and I’m currently in my 1st year of studying Computer Science. Some of my hobbies besides reading visual novels are watching anime, playing piano and listening to VN soundtracks.

I watched Higurashi’s 1st season of the anime about two years ago, and while I really enjoyed watching it, it didn’t stick to my mind as much as I expected. At that time I had already read a fair amount of Visual Novels, and a few months later I started reading Higurashi (I had already tried sometimes before but the original sprites were a huge turn off, and I didn’t know about the graphics patch).
Since I’m now here, it’s probably needless to say that I loved it, from beginning to end. Higurashi made me feel the same fear of its characters, and as the story progressed, my compassion for them kept increasing. I can’t say for sure who my favorite characters are, but if I had to, probably Mion and Shion, because, as a sister myself, I tend to appreciate stories and problems involving siblings.

Aside from Higurashi, I’ve also read the first 4 chapters of Umineko (started some months ago) and so far they completely blew me away. While I really love Higurashi and find some similarities between the two works (especially the duality between humans/supernatural), which is to be expected, I think Umineko has got me more interested. My reason for that is because it seems like a more mature story, since it focuses a lot on adult characters, and all of them have caused me mixed feelings. The ones who seem more superficial and seem to only care about money are actually quite caring and compassionate, while the ones who seem more friendly hide a lot of flaws inside them. Oh, the Umineko soundtrack is also the best I’ve heard in any visual novel ever. I can’t wait to read chapters 5-8 but I’ve been a bit lazy lately.

However, a few days ago, I was reading some stuff about Higurashi on the internet, and realized I had already forgotten a lot of details, so I used the chance to convince my boyfriend to read it with me (I’ve wanted to get him into visual novels for some time), so we’re doing it now, and it’s quite funny to hear is theories. While I was doing some research on Onikakushi, I came across the Rokkenjima podcast about it, and that’s how I got here. I’ll try to be active here from now on, but can’t promise anything since I don’t usually last long on forums :sweat_smile:

Looking forward to spending time here!

11 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
It sounds like you would have some interesting views to bring to the discussions, maybe you’ll think about posting some thoughts and ideas on things? We do have other topics for non 07th Expansion VNs like Danganronpa and The House in Fata Morgana if you have read those and wish to join that discussions.
Apart from that, we also have discussions on other 07th Expansion VNs like Rose Guns Days, Higanbana No Saku Yoru Ni, and we even have some a speculation thread on When They Cry 5!
Lastly, if you ever find that you are incredibly bored with some time on your hands, we have a number of Gameboards other users have created for us all to enjoy together!

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m Illusion, I’m 21 years old and I’m from Spain. Right now I’m studying and preparing so I can enter the Navy.

I watched the Higurashi anime about 5 years ago, and I absolutely loved it. One year after I watched the Umineko anime, and I found that it was and absolutely interesting and intriguing story, so after I read all those coments about the original VN being infinitely better, I decided to try it. Because various reasons it wasn’t until a couple of months ago that I got to finish it, and all I can say is that I loved it and it became my favourite work. Now I want to know more about Umineko and all the others 07th Expansion works, starting with the Higurashi VN. I’m a shy person so it’s possible that at first I do not write too much, but I expect that will change eventually and I can be more active and participate with the rest of you.

I’ts a pleasure to meet you all!

10 Likes

Sup,

I’m cadaeic,

Umineko was recommended as a “similar work” at the back of my favourite esoteric abstract narrative tabletop roleplaying game chuubo’s marvelous wish granting engine.

I binged the entire lets play of the first half of umineko in one day to the consternation of my friend philpax who was going through the VN slowly!

I’m here to try and get into your discord and to maybe write fanfic. Maybe.

Edit for gooder grammar after having the code of conduct brought to my attention!

8 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
Apart from Higurashi and Umineko, there is also Higanbana no Saku Yoro Ni, Rose Guns Days, an upcoming When They Cry 5, as well as some works that haven’t been translated into English like Trianthology. There are also some non Visual Novel works like Hotarubi no Tomoro Koro Ni (manga), and Haworthia, an audio drama. There’s lots to explore and lots to discuss with others if you want to!
I hope you enjoy your stay here!

1 Like

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
Since you like Umineko so much, might I also recommend Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni? Its the first installment of the When They Cry series, and definitely worth reading if you like Umineko.
The discord is lots of fun! You have to be witch ranking to gain access, but that doesnt take long at all!

1 Like

Hello all, I’m PlatinumRock.

• I was first familiar with Ryukishi07’s work back during my middle school years with Higurashi. I brushed passed it as I merely saw it as a gore fest of people killing each other and thought it was the most horrifying thing I’ve ever come across at the time. Fast forward to 2015 - I started taking interest in Vs Forums when I came across Umineko, describing it as one of the most powerful fictional universes out there that rival high-end Marvel/DC characters like Living Tribunal. I wanted to know why it was deemed so powerful so I looked into it. I was immediately hooked into its story, concepts and characters and Umineko quickly became one of my favorite series of all time. I haven’t fully read all the of VN or Manga but I know every major plot point and ending. This prompt me to start watching the Higurashi anime (which i’m currently in the middle of) and have just finished a playthrough of Higanbana.

• I actually found Rokkenjima last night as I was looking for some Higanbana content (which is very scarce in my country😵) and stumbled upon one of the discussion boards.

• Outside of 07th Expansion, I enjoy drawing and currently going to school to become an animator. I like watching other anime. Some include Sailor Moon, Madoka Magica and Fate/Stay Night. I also watch TV shows, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Nikita. Video games I’m into are Pokemon, SMT: Persona, and Earthbound/Mother.

The Higurashi community seems to die down over the years and Umineko fans are hard to come by, (Higanbana is even more rare!) I’m glad to find a community that loves Umineko and Higanbana just as much as I do!

Please treat me well! ~

13 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
I really hope you’ll share your thoughts on Higanbana in our threads if you haven’t done so already! As you mentioned, Higanbana is one of the lesser known stories, so hearing new voices as excited as you are is extremely rare. Maybe you’ll add your voice into the Umineko and Higurashi threads as well? We also have podcasts here for various works including Higurashi arcs 1-5, the First and Second nights of Higanbana, and are currently working on finishing up Chiru for Umineko if you enjoy listening to other people’s thoughts, opinions, and theories.
Other than that, we have some threads for non 07th expansion things, including one on favorite Sailor Senshi. Theres also gameboards others will host, and they’re always fun and entertaining!
I hope you enjoy your stay here~

5 Likes

Alright, finally got around to making a Rokkenjima account. I came from Kazamatsuri, and I do favour Key over 07th Expansion, but Ryukishi07 is my favourite writer, and though Rewrite is my favourite Visual Novel (or fictional story for that matter) of all time, my favourite route was indeed the one written by Ryukishi07, Lucia’s route. It was also how I got introduced to 07th Expansion and what made me read Higurashi. I’ve ended up reading through all of Higurashi, Umineko (which is my favourite VN not by key. I said Grisaia on Kaza, but I’ve reevaluated my opinion since then. And I’m counting the original and Chiru together rather than separately like I used to), and RGD. I plan to get around to Higanbana soon.
About myself, I’m from Australia, and my username is pronounced “Macklemore” (the “ch” makes a “K” sound.) I found Rokkenjima because Kaza links to it.
Surprised to find so few overlap members between here and Kaza. I thought most of them would be the same people, unless that really is the case and people are just using different usernames and profile pictures to ruse me.

11 Likes

Not a Kaza member personally but I think it’s probably because people who like 07th Expansion look for a place to talk about 07th expansion and key fans look for a place to talk about key. It’s always nice to have another 07th fan come along here! I have heard great things about Higabana but I have not persobally read it yet. Either way I hope you enjoy your time here!

2 Likes

It’s good to see you here @machelmore! Our stories seem to overlap, in that I too was from Kaza and introduced to Ryukishi through Rewrite. Don’t worry, Rokkenjima is just as warm and welcoming as Kazamatsuri. :hahaha:

2 Likes

Hello,
I found out about Higurashi during my middle school years and loved every second of it, and I recently finished reading Umineko which I have to say I enjoyed more than Higurashi, and that’s saying a lot. I’m now trying to get better at Ougon because I enjoy fighting games casually but want to learn one finally.
I remember after finishing an episode I looked up Episode (X) discussion and saw this site, and saw some different perspectives on things I thought about it.
I enjoy Danganronpa, Metal Gear, Soulsbourne, and more stuff I can’t think about right now.
This level of introducing is possible for Furudo Erika, what do you think, everyone?

10 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima!
If you’ve already read Higurashi and Umineko, how about giving Higanbana a try? It’s about some youkai in an elementary school and some stuff they get up to. Many Umineko and Higurashi fans tend to like it and its also by Ryukishi07.
And I should mention we have lots of game boards where you can display your knowledge to everyone, Furudo Erika! We wouldn’t want you to get bored, would we~?
I do hope you enjoy your stay here~

5 Likes