Introduce Yourself!

Hey there, I’m Lily, I’m from the UK and I really love Umineko!
I was introduced to 07th Expantsion about three years ago through the Umineko manga, and I’ve basically been in seacats hell ever since. I’ve read bits of the vns as well, and up to Meakashi-hen of the Higurashi manga (I’m more into Umineko than Higurashi but I intend to finish it someday). Fave characters are Beatrice, Clair and Bernkastel (ok sayo yasuda is basically my fave but)
Other stuff I like includes Touhou Project, Steven Universe, Undertale, Sailor Moon, Evangelion, Utena, and Madoka Magica. Mostly Touhou tbh.
I’m most active in fanbases as an artist (and to a lesser extent, a cosplayer) and I really like to draw/paint - my tumblr/deviantart username is sidelys if you want to follow me there!

7 Likes

@grimoire Welcome to our fragment Lily! We’re very appreciative of creative types here; I hope we can count on some fanart contributions on you for our future Tea Parties!

1 Like

I’m probably one of the oldest folks here, also from Texas like a number of others. I followed a link here a couple times and then forgot to register. I argued about Umineko for many years on Animesuki and then I didn’t do that anymore and still don’t. I am somewhat familiar with R07’s other works but not to the same extent as Umineko, which I admire for its literary ambitions even as I am rather critical of its execution.

In 2012-2013 I wrote and programmed the Umineko fan VN Redaction of the Golden Witch (originally published on YouTube), plus some other things here and there. I got busy with work and didn’t really do anything else with Umineko for some time, but was reminded of it because of an email. I should probably revise it as I’ve been working on novels since and hoo boy I could do a lot of fix-up on it.

And that’s about it.

10 Likes

First of all welcome to the community.

I assume you mean smaller translations rather than full VNs? If so I actually have a request if you’d be willing. The Umineko wiki has a translation of the extra TIP “Our Confession” but it’s missing several pages that the translator did not have. Scans of the entire original version seem to be readily available on the internet now, would you consider translating the missing sections?

@UsagiTenpura welcome to the community, it’s always great having members of Witch-hunt here. It’s also great to have more people who have read RGD as it gets no love.

@Renall welcome. I always admire people who can make interesting fan projects.

3 Likes

Hello!
I\m I’m a 22-or-so years old fan from Sweden.
I guess the most interesting part here is Umineko, so let’s start with that.
Second year of high school, I had a friend who threw it over on my laptop one day, and having nothing better to do (remember, high school), and although wary of the art at first, I started reading it.
Then I didn’t stop.
This would have been in the fall of 2010, I think, so I was not very early with this.

Other than that, I make computers do silly things and currently work a day job telling people how to unmess whatever device they currently messed up (which means I do call center work, but at least the calls are short).

I’ve kept wanting to reread Umineko for a while, and while visiting my local bookstore recently found out they carry the mangas… And spent about $187 buying the first three Episodes. Whooooops.

Most of my free time is spent poking at my PC, or tweeting. Sometimes I do some light translation work to keep my Japanese from deteriorating all too much.

7 Likes

Hey, I’m Rabla. Yes, I’m rather late, let’s ignore that.

I’m a 21 year old guy from NSW Australia, currently drifting from course to course trying to find a passion and struggling to find employment. In the meantime, videogames.

My only real experience with 07th Expansion so far are the two (soon to be three) Higurashi releases on Steam, which I find kind of rough but fascinating. I’ve also read the first part of the Umineko manga, though its a bigger book so its probably multiple volumes. So far just off that stuff I prefer Higurashi, but its kind of an unfair battle at this point.

How did I find Rokkenjima? Aspirety is a MASSIVE shill. Won’t stop can’t stop. Nah but seriously, I ghost on Kazamatsuri and it was hard to miss an even bigger passion of his appear earlier in the year among the mess of jokes.

Interests outside of 07th Expansion? A lot. JRPGs are my life, but I play a lot of other videogames. Fun is fun, and I’m easily amused. I got into Visual Novels as a genre through animation adaptions of Visual Art’s Key’s works, and played some of their un-animated works at the time. I dabble in other VNs here and there but nothing I really liked enough to dedicate myself to actually putting aside time for VNs outside of Key’s stuff… until I read Higurashi, and that’s where we loop back to the start.

Good to be here! Maybe I’ll actually use this forum.

9 Likes

Big difference I’m seeing is that, rather than with Key where you’ve already read everything, 07th is completely new territory. I look forward to all of your first impressions! I wish I could go back to my first time with Higurashi and Umineko.

1 Like

Another Australian, we need more Aussies, so welcome! Also, good taste of games and VN’s :slight_smile:

Heyo, I’m Tessa, I’m from Finland and I do translations, buy merch, occasionally draw… A lot of things, really! If there’s anything R07 related you need translated, feel free to ask, I don’t bite! This site was recommended to me on Twitter quite a while ago, but I never got around posting until now, and I’m very excited to meet more R07 fans!

I got into Umineko some years ago, but only recently (less than a year ago, I think) did I reread and actually finish it (I think I left it at EP6 the first time I tried getting into it for some reason…) I’ve also read Higurashi and am currently in the middle of reading RGD, and while I do love all of Ryukishi’s work, Umineko hit me the hardest out of them all. The characters are all incredibly dear to me, and I can’t wait to see what Trianthology brings us!

Other than that, I don’t know if there’s anything else worth mentioning about myself… I play a lot of videogames (lately Dark Souls 3 and FFXIV), and I really like visual novels and fashion! Sorry for the stiff introduction, but I promise I’m pretty chill and friendly when it comes down to it…!! Let’s get along! ^ q ^ ‘’

6 Likes

Welcome @gramarye! Glad you could finally make it.

And to other I missed: belated welcome to @Renall and @witch! Hope you’re all enjoying the community here!

1 Like

Hi there, everyone!

My name is Len. I’m a 22 year old from California. One of my friends told me about this place, and so I was interested to see what it was all about, since I recently just jumped back into the fandom since I just finished reading Onikakushi recently and am now on Watanagashi. I first got into Higurashi back in middle school because I saw a lot of videos on it on Youtube, so I marathoned a bunch of it late at night on a computer and absolutely fell in love. Of course, I hadn’t known about the visual novels at that point until later on, so I pretty much started with the anime. I then read all of the Umineko visual novels - since I had heard that was by the same person who did Higurashi and read through those as they came out.

If you look at my avatar, it’s clearly obvious who my favorite character is. I also love Bernkastel and Ange from Umineko, but honestly, I love everyone from the Higurashi cast? I’ve also read a bit of the Higanbana manga but haven’t gotten into Roses Guns Days which is probably something that I should amend at some point.

As for interests outside of 07th Expansion, I’m into a lot of video games as of late - Dangan Ronpa, Ace Attorney, and Zero Escape especially. I also enjoy the Final Fantasy series as well as Kingdom Hearts. I am also a huge animanga fan - as for things I enjoy, they are wide and varied, but stuff I’m mainly into are Pokemon, Haruhi Suzumiya, KEY anime (and visual novels!), Fate/, Detective Conan and a bunch of other things. My anime list also pretty much shows the stuff I’m into. Although it’s a bit outdated.

Other than that, I’m a roleplayer who enjoys writing and voice acting and singing. I actually sang a cover of Naraku no Hana during middle school in front of the whole school, so that’s a thing, I suppose.

Nice to meet all of you, and cheers to some interesting discussions. (Although, I am, admittedly, a bit shy at times.)

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Len, great to have you!

If you’re into Key, you may also be interested in our sister-community, Kazamatsuri! We’d love to see you there as well~

1 Like

Not really sure what to say here, I don’t really like talking about myself too much, so I’ll try to keep it short.
I’m a huge fan of r07 and his works, except for that one lesser known work that he did way back when.
I was fortunate enough to pick up Umineko when it was still being released from episode 4, so I got really hooked on theory-crafting and puzzlesolving at that time. Add in a little dash of funposting and you have a recipe for fun times. After that, one by one I picked up r07’s works and enjoyed every one of them.

I found this place through a random link on a certain board and decided to check it out. Not much to say about that.

As for interests, I am a huge fan of creating puzzles/mysteries. Creating a delicate balance between an easy riddle and a difficult one is quite difficult though I must admit. I’m on my way to craft a new puzzle, so stay tuned. That and I do enjoy tinkering with code/websites etc, so I might combine those two aspects someday.

Oh and speaking of puzzles, there is a puzzle right in front of you right now. If you think you’ve solved it, PM me, I’ll tell you if you got it right.

2 Likes

Don’t think I’ve introduced myself yet

Hi, I’m Dabackpack, I started reading Higurashi in ~2009 and Umineko when EP5 came out in English. I used to be a part of the AnimeSuki discussion group when that was a thing

Erika Furudo is my waifu

Yoroshiku!

(oh I’m a lurker on Kazamatsuri too)

2 Likes

Glad you make it @Ourfairduke and @DaBackpack! We may be small now, but I hope you look forward to seeing us grow much bigger!

1 Like

@Kuchisakeonnanoko Hey! Is your name based on the manga Online?

Hey hey, fellow fragment seekers. I’m Ebola Furude from NY. Found this fragment through Facebook.

Anyway, about a year ago, everyone around me started to act uncharacteristically. I remember talking to my friend about Higurashi and came to the conclusion that I was more like Takano than any other character, which is really not too much of a jump since I’m a virology student, so it’s in my nature to like to see contagious diseases spread. Anyway, this kinda hit me in a sensitive spot since Hanyuu is my waifu; I figured she’d hate me too.>> I was in an unstable state and eventually I started to believe the Higurashi universe and my current universe merged because I was being punished by existence. I spent a month in a mental hospital cause I thought I was in Higurashi. Was even hearing footsteps, and at one point I started to claw at my neck and arms till I bled, tho as soon as they realized it they injected me with Haldol and other stuff stuff and I blacked out. Anyway, even when I got out of the hospital I was messed up, barricading my room cause I thought my friends and family would kill me cause the Cotton Drifting was quickly approaching.

Well, in short, I guess of it weren’t for all that I wouldn’t have never started to play Uminkeo since my friends told me to play it after I told them about what happened to me><. Ironically, I feel like I have been in Umineko for the past month; I’ve been spending a lot of time defending a friend from murder accusations on Youtube. I recently started Chapter 6 of Umineko, so I dunno how it ends, but I often find myself rooting for both the anti-magic and pro-magic sides. I guess it’s just because I am more of a dialetheist than anything else.

1 Like

Hello fellow Goats, Cicadas or what have you. I found this forum through Steam and it seems like a great place to meet with other 07 Expansion fans.

I’m yet another fan from Sweden and I started my journey into the deeps that is 07th Expansions works around 2010 when I first discovered the first Higurashi Anime. I quickly got hooked and now several years later I’m a huge fan and have physical copies of most of their series (Higurashi, Higurashi Kai, Umineko, Umineko Chiru, Higanbana Night 1&2, Rose Gun Days 1-4), though my favourite series is and always will be Umineko.

Outside of reading 07th Expansions works I love playing games (mostly RPGs like the Persona series but also other games that catch my interest), read other pieces of Japanese media or just spend way too much time in my head just thinking :sweat_smile:.

It’s nice to meet you all and I hope we’ll end up having some great discussions together :slight_smile:

Fun fact: I usually go by another username in forums, gamertags and similar but I thought that it could be a bit too spoilery here so I mixed it up a bit (veteran Umineko readers can probably guess what it is).

3 Likes

Hey there! I don’t really remember how I found this forum, but I’ve been lurking here for quite a while, never actually posting anything though.

Anyway, I’m sii_kei, a 24-year-old architecture student from Romania.

Back in 2007, I started watching Higurashi (season 2 wasn’t even out yet at that time). Sometime after Higurashi Kai, I was searching on youtube for related videos and stumbled upon Umineko’s alternative opening (the one that listed all the characters on the island). The description said it was “the new Higurashi”.

I was curious about it and after some search, I discovered the Animesuki Umineko forums. I played Umineko (a pirated version, which I really wanna make up for by buying the Steam version now, heh) with the Witch Hunt translation and original artwork, eagerly awaiting each new patch about every half year and reading theories late at night for oh so many nights. (I was lurking on the AS forums just as I’ve been lurking here.) It was the best story I had experienced and I quickly started uploading Umineko tracks on Youtube for others to enjoy. However, I was very disappointed by the anime… which made me write this review on MyAnimeList that apparently made a lot of people check the VN or manga as well, lol.

(As a side note, thanks to Umineko, I also got to read Agatha Christie’s “And then there were none” and that’s how I discovered my favorite literary genre. My love for mystery novels started because of Umineko and developed into a full fledged obsession. And I’ve been writing a mystery novel myself this past year…)

So all in all, been a fan of 07th Expansion for more than 9 years and I played Rose Guns Days as well and loved it… However, I still haven’t played Higanbana. Currently playing the Higurashi steam releases and looking forward to replaying Umineko on steam as well!

4 Likes

Hi there ! I’m adeninesuts ( I know it’s pretty long ), I’m 17 years old and I’m French ! I discovered 07thexpansion last year with Higurashi because it was entierly translated in french ( In France, Higurashi is called " Le Sanglot des Cigales ", which means " The Sob Of Cicadas " ). I immediately fell in love after reading Onikakushi-hen, it was so good and I wanted so much to discover all of the secrets of Hinamizawa, so I finished Higurashi in only one week !

After that, I started to read Umineko On 5th October of the last year. Fun fact, and as you all know, the story of Umineko also begins on October 5th. I love Umineko and I think it’s really a masterpiece. However, I didn’t read Umineko as fast as Higurashi because I took the time to make theories and speculations about most of the secrets of Umineko, I loved to do that. I also read the first part of Higanbana, it was good, like always with our Ryukishi

Currently, I am reading Rose Guns Days and I think that I am going to love it too !

Thanks to 07thexpansion, I could discovere the world of Visual Novel and could read some of theme, like " The Song of Saya " and " Rewrite "

Besides this, I’m not a big videogame player, although I love the Monster Hunter, Pokémon and Mother franchise !

That’s all for me ! In short, I’m a new 07thexpansion fan ( since I saw that some of you are fans for several years )
And at last, like I said, I’m French so my English isn’t perfect, sorry for that !

3 Likes