It Is In Our Home

Oh wow, totally wasn’t paying attention there, apologies. My mind saw ‘Krauss and Natsuhi’ and immediately overwrote it as ‘the discovery of Krauss and Natsuhi’s bodies’.

Although, now that I look at it, that wording is a little suspicious to me…

Let me suggest a new theory that could open up a path for one of the corpses to be the culprit.
[color=blue]One of the heads in the eyelid scene was actually alive, let’s say Kanon. He had cut a hole in the cart for his head to stick through. He manually puppeteered the other eyes to open with strings.[/color]
It isn’t mentioned in the narrative really, but I’ll throw it out regardless, if the carts are something you can look through then [color=blue]Kanon used the classic mirror trick to make it appear as though the bottom of the cart was empty.[/color]

1 Like

Okay, sure.

But in that case, how do you explain the key in the pot and the study? How do the keys end up outside of the library? You can lock the upper lock of the vault without a key, but the lock itself still needs one…

Huuuu back to the impossible key teleport.

:glug:
[color=blue]Battler never pockets the key. It’s coated in adhesive and sticks to his hand the entire time![/color]
[color=blue]Battler drops the key and is embarrassed by his own incompetence, so he lies.[/color]
[color=blue]The key is tied to a string and run through a set of hooks. When Battler drops the true skull key, Kanon who’s hiding inside Rudolf’s corpse swaps the true key for the stringed one.
Battler slides his hand into his pocket, but never actually the key! Or, we can combine this with the adhesive theory, so that the key sticks to his hand just long enough for him to unpocket it and get tugged away by the string, so that it isn’t technically pickpocketed![/color]

:kinzo:

1 Like

This red:

Should have pretty much implied that [color=red]Battler did indeed put a key in his pocket[/color]. Naturally, this red isn’t referring to some random key X Battler put in his pocket when he was 4 years old, but directly to the scene in question - Rudolf and Kyrie’s room.

[color=red]If Battler is not the culprit, had he noticed he had dropped anything, he would have had no reason to hide or lie about it happening.[/color]

I think it’s time to cash in the chips for the string ride.

[color=red]At the time of it happening, there was nothing attached to the key Battler appeared to find in Kyrie and Rudolf’s room.[/color] (‘It’ of course, refers to the discovery itself.)

The red from earlier, in combination with this, should suffice for any hybrids left over.

Of course, I could’ve gotten into how it was possible for Battler to miss literally any of the strings or the adhesive, but this is much faster, given that one can twist anything to work with enough effort these days.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Due to the fact that one of the members of the human side, Xak, has dared to diss Big Macs, I must now inform you that your suffering henceforth will increase by 10%. This applies to all future gameboards as well, I’m afraid.

1 Like

Well, this is pretty interesting. I’ll try to participate too. I’ll try something that caught my attention, even if I don’t have hight hopes.
[color=blue] The ‘HA HA HA’ was written even before the group went to the mansion. It could have been written with some type of ink that would take some time to be visible.[/color]

1 Like

As always, the more the merrier.

This would have been covered with this red:

Naturally, some invisible ink would’ve counted as existing.

Just to affirm the meaning of ‘during the searches’: [color=blue]Battler and Jessica sweep their floor faster than George and Shannon, meaning he completes his search faster. He tells Jessica he’s going to get the others, and runs upstairs to the 3rd floor. He then writes the message and jogs back downstairs, yelling for the others and rejoining Jessica just in time.[/color]

I mean the theory stops working within the same paragraph. He leaves to inform the others but then just comes back down to yell? How does Jessica not find that the least bit strange?

Well. No matter.

[color=red]The search lasted from the moment everyone split up into pairs until the six met up together in front of the door to Krauss and Natsuhi’s room.[/color]

About the key in Battler’s pocket
[color=blue]It could be that in the discovery of Hideyoshi and Eva’s bodies, while Shannon was not there, someone offered to Battler to take his jacket so he could clean the vomit in the bathroom and take advantage of the moment to take the key from the jacket’s pocket[/color]

[color=red]Battler’s jacket (as in, the part of the suit, of course) remained on him throughout the duration of the game, with the only exception being the time he took it off for Shannon to search it during the kitchen scene.[/color]

Besides, if something like that had happened, chances are that somebody else that’d been there would’ve remembered Battler giving his jacket to someone, including probably Battler himself.

Pickpocketing is off the table, but what about reverse pickpocketing?
[color=blue] When Battler wasn’t paying attention, someone slid a special stiffened handkerchief into his pocket, landing on top of the key.[/color] It creates a fake pocket without actually modifying the jacket.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, [color=red]nobody could’ve planted anything on Battler’s person without him noticing[/color], either.

Hmm. I thought today might be the day, but it’s not enough yet…

[color=blue]The person we identify as Battler is not the same as the person who took the key. Maybe after drinking alcohol she got drunk in some way that would ‘activate’ another personality which would not identify himself as Battler[/color]

[color=red]None of the people on the island suffer from any sort of personality disorders. All of the people can only use their own names, which are applied and given to a specific body. All of the reds up to this point have referred to people the same way as they’ve been referred to as in the narration.[/color] (So no possibility of stretching out the definition of a split personality and no chance of having it be so that Kinzo and Battler had secretly each other’s names or something.)

Just to be sure: would somnambulism count as personality disorder?

2 Likes

Hmm. I suppose not necessarily. I’m uncertain how sleepwalking gets you out of some of the situations, though.

Nevertheless! Come! Entertain me! The others are stuck anyway, might as well give it your best shot.

[color=blue]Battler is not the culprit. He swapped the keys himself (he had a different key that he actually pocketed and did not intentionally dispose of, and he kept the key he found in the room in his hands). He planted this key on someone else (Jessica?), because he wanted to see how they would react to this (trying to feel out the culprit?). By the time he learned of what the culprit did with the key, it would’ve looked too suspicious to tell the truth, so he lied. By the time they search him, he had moved the key in his pocket to his shoe or somewhere else on his person.
This of course frees up Jessica as the culprit, writing the graffiti as described in an earlier blue. [/color]

1 Like

[color=blue]At some point everyone just kind of passed out (due to a gas trap or something). Easy enough to then remove the key and put the writing on the door. This counts as looting Battler, not pickpocketing.[/color]

Yeah I totally got this.

1 Like

Aw, well. Looks like this has gone as far as it could’ve.

Congratulations!

You win!

Full Explanation

pain

[color=red]If Battler is not the culprit, after putting the key in his pocket, he did not touch it afterwards.[/color] Likewise, [color=red]taking something off of Battler’s person while he’s unconscious still counts as pickpocketing[/color].

But, let’s go further. This isn’t enough.

Earlier, you suggested two explanations as to how the key got into the pot.

Let’s get rid of both of them, shall we?

[color=red]The culprit is the one who put the key in the pot. This includes direct or indirect means. Someone other than the culprit directly putting the key into the pot as a result of the culprit’s manipulations or machinations does not count as either indirect or indirect means.[/color] This, naturally, eliminates the possibility of Battler just planting the key on someone and them putting it into the pot of their own free will for some arbitrary reason afterwards. (After all, I did say “as a result”, not that it was the part of the culprit’s hypothetical plan to begin with.)

String trick? Fat chance. [color=red]No string or an object whose function would be that of a string was ever attached to the red skull key.[/color] Of course, you could try and claim something like ‘Battler did the string trick from before but the key attached was some other random key X’. But then you can’t explain how the people who find the red skull key find… the red skull key.

But that’s not enough, either.

You’ve brought up the possibility of a switch several times. Let’s buldoze that one, too. I will add to the red truth: [color=red]The only key in Rudolf and Kyrie’s room at the moment the group arrived at their door was the red skull key. No other object that could be mistaken as a key existed inside the room at the time, either.[/color] Now, I draw your attention to Kinzo’s search. [color=red]Kinzo, during his search, would have found anything that was a key or could be mistaken as a key-like object. He found no such things on anyone he searched - and he searched George, Shannon, Jessica, Battler and Nanjo.[/color] So, how does the culprit have anything to switch the key with? I’ll add even more: [color=red]The group went directly to Rudolf and Kyrie’s room after they left Natsuhi and Krauss’ room. At no point during the trip between those two rooms was there a moment where anyone in the group could’ve added a key or an object that could be mistaken as a key-like object on their person.[/color] Phew. Can’t have you accusing me of having things too loose, you know?

I could’ve said it more simply, of course, such as ‘Battler put the red skull key in his pocket’, but I always do welcome you to doubt me. Worked out well so far, hasn’t it? Come on, it’s a trick! Why else would I dedicate a paragraph instead of a single red? It must be wordplay! Even right now, I’m probably just bluffing to get out of you guys figuring out my clever deception!

I do admit, I’m surprised why it took so long for Jessica’s absence for the door text to be noticed. I was pretty sure you guys’d go down that path instantly. Oh, well. [color=red]Had Jessica attempted to leave through the window of Hideyoshi and Eva’s bathroom, her hair and clothes would have gotten soaked in water because of the rain. There was nothing in the bathroom she could’ve used to cover herself - be it her clothes or hair. There were no spare clothes in the bathroom. The clothes Jessica came out of the bathroom with are the same one she wore when she came in, of course.[/color] Ah, and of course. [color=red]Minus her vomit, her clothes were indeed NOT soaked in water when she came out of the bathroom, and her hair was dry.[/color]

And after all of this, I must point out you have yet to attempt to even tackle the study.

2 Likes

Huh, I’m not even sure how I always do it.

About the solution

gohda