Literary Bar thread

Disappointing…

During school I was in a Creative Writing club. After that, I haven’t really written much of anything, unless you want to count the screenshot Let’s Play I’m doing on another forum. But during the time I was in that club, there’s one piece of text I am still most proud of. It wasn’t even a story, it was more a satirical piece of text. I basically wrote a text complaining about unnecessarily long sentences using only such unnecessarily long sentences.

1 Like

As I’ve said in the Discord server, I’d be really interested in participating! Although part of me would like to have a theme of some sort, so that we could see how differently a person can take an idea. The idea of working in groups/pairs also sounds interesting, though I’m usually a lone wolf in these sort of things, but who knows, if this event happens more than once, I might consider joining up with someone else some other time!

2 Likes

Did someone say writing? :hauu:

I’ve been writing for about 18 years, I think, mostly satire stuff, but I have also been constantly working on my current manuscript for about a year and a half, hoping to get it published. It is a mystery and it also has a murder, although the murder isn’t the main question of the book, so I am not sure if it could be called a murder mystery.

Anyway, the short version of the premise is: During the first edition of the secret Convention of Immortals, the organizer, a 3000 year-old immortal, is killed.

There is quite a heavy Umineko influence, in the sense that in order to solve the mystery incoming Umi ep 7 spoiler, you have to solve the whydunnit first and understand the relationship each of the six suspects has with the victim and what the victim was planning to achieve through organizing the Convention. Also, the six suspects find themselves locked up for a few days on a hotel floor, with no way of contacting the outside world.

5 Likes

I’ve dabbed my toes in writing fiction before, but I guess ever since I left high school I’ve found myself too busy with other priorities to get back into it. Most of my writing efforts have been in fantasy and psychological drama.

1 Like

I have been known to dabble a littler here and there, and I game master for a lot of different tabletop systems, particularly old world of darkness and 2.5e exalted. I also do a lot of RPing, usually set in the Nasuverse.

I have had a few ideas for some original fiction that I have been playing with, but I never have really gotten around to doing more than universe building for them with everything else that I do. I might just do something for this if we do end up doing it, just need to put time into it and get to putting pen to paper.

2 Likes

Basically, if you ever want random pitches for fantasy stories, just talk to me on Discord :wink:

1 Like

@pictoshark That actually sounds like a plot to a “Tales” game. You should contact Bamco.

Eh, I already shredded most of the drafts a couple months ago. I’m thinking of creating an entirely new story…though I think it will contain some of my previous ideas. Or maybe not.
Maybe I should wait til college, tbh.

I guess I’ll dip my toes in this thread too.

I’ve been writing fiction sporadically for about four years now. Some people on this forum and Kazamatsuri already know about my FanFiction.net page, but I also write original works as well. I tend to alternate between the two when I come up with new stories, although because I have a lot of ideas in the backburner, I tend to write what I feel most invested in. My genre tendencies sway between science fiction and urban fantasy, although occasionally I like to dabble in other genres to mix things up.

I’m averse to sharing my story ideas in particular, and I still have a lot to learn as an author, but I’m willing to share some advice if people need it. I do think that writing is very much driven by how the author feels about a particular subject. If a story doesn’t evoke any sort of feeling from the reader outside of apathy, why should it exist? Stories like Umineko compel the reader because it evokes emotion. Joy, laughter, discomfort, love, sorrow, fear, anger. If you currently feel any of these or other emotions towards something or someone in particular, channeling that feeling into writing may be a good practice. Just something to think about. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s an interesting outlook. Reminds of of what Ryukishi said in his APG interview about how stories should have a purpose and diversity in their emotion, and not just to shock the reader into feeling a certain way.
However, is emotion just the only thing a writer should communicate? I think having a message is just as important as emotions-something which can be easily manipulated.

5 Likes

Theme is certainly an integral part of storytelling. Granted, you can write a story without a message, but without the focus that themes provide, writing tends to be sloppy. Structure, planning and editing are just as integral to the writing process as emotion. It’s just that compared to the outpouring of emotion that goes into storytelling, the rest can be pretty boring. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thought I’d leave this here as its good writing advice: http://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/protagonist-and-main-character-same-person-the-answer-may-transform-your-story/

2 Likes

I’m just a hobbyist writer, also hobbyist artist, but I like to write more than drawing nowadays. I wrote a thing for my visual novel but I didn’t finish it. Someday, maybe. I’m currently having a long fanfic project…yes, fanfic. Hence hobbyist. It’s also a practice, I’m writing an original piece I would like to publish someday, but I focus more on fanfic for now (and comic for a con).

I experiment on surrealism and absurdism writing. I want to incorporate them to my original novel with the best quality I can offer, so I’ve been practicing hard. I can say nothing more, but I’m also a sucker for post-apocalyptic world, so my original story is set in post-apocalyptic world with vague descriptions.

1 Like