Maria's Puzzle Book Reloaded [Puzzle 26]

Well there pretty clearly isn’t sufficient space to display a number with such a huge amount of divisors, so thinking about how else the number is supposed to be displayed could be worthwhile. Taking something to the power of something might not be too off.

See, this is when only having the knowledge of a high-schooler sucks. I have no idea how to figure this out.

Vyse does your number has 78 characters?

what are you thinking of?

Ok time for another explanation I tried so hard to translate
if a number’s factorization is = 2^n1* 3^n2 * 5^n3
the number of divisors is = (n1+1)(n2+1)…
because 101 is prime number
so if this equals to 10201 we have two options either
10200+1=10201
or (100+1)(100+1)=10201 just like in your hint
if we want the small number then we have to take first 2 prime numbers or if it’s longer then second
so our number = 2^100*3^100 or 2^10200
and 6^100 equals 653318623500070906096690267158057820537143710472954871543071966369497141477376 which is 78 characters long, but that’s certainly not the answer
so the answer is
2^10200
we have 32 sticks and 2^10200 can be organized in 32 sticks too

damn we have 33 of them lol

Okay, to get the important parts out of akafa’s post that are in the correct direction.

From a prime factorization of a number you can conclude the number of divisors of that number. This works as akafa lined out in this part:

As akafa points out, 101 is a prime number. Therefore, it can be concluded that the prime factorization of the number you are looking for is (x^100) * (y^100).

Okay.
I’ll try blue text because red looks like gamemaster’s thing not player’s hehe
^100 part consists of 16 sticks
If we add any other 2 numbers the maximum for sticks will be 14 which gives us number 88
Therefore the number before ^100 has more than 2 digits
43*47=2021 kinda fits and makes it total of 33 sticks

Can you accomplish that by only moving 7 matches?

:hauu:Who knows, I’ll try
Hm I think it’s not possible because to create first 2 we have to move 3 matches, so it doesn’t start with 2

It doesn’t start with 1 either, cause it gives maximum of 16 sticks, so I think it’s 7 for sure

Wait a minute is it 788? But 788 divisors are not prime, then it doesn’t start with 7 either??? :shock: I’m confused lol

I’m curious if those little gaps on the picture are made on purpose

Here

878 ^ 100 indeed has 10201 different divisors. However, I don’t accept the exponential sign in your solution, as the actual exponential sign doesn’t have a vertical line. Furthermore, the 8 and 7 are touching each other, something that I wouldn’t consider a beautiful solution. So you get A for effort, but there is a different solution that can be layed out with having clear gaps between all symbols; although you may need to change your perspective.

If most people that have posted for this puzzle say that they don’t have an idea, I have another hint I can drop.

:push: Oh cmon who cares about aesthetics

Fine how about that

Oh ffs are there really so many big prime numbers? Okay fine, how about this counter: IT isn’t teached at all schools and you don’t usually learn in math that “^” can be used to express exponentials. Furthermore, the two prime numbers that show up in the solution’s prime factorization are easily recognized as prime numbers. That cannot be said about 3593.

But you can’t deny that this can be one of the solutions :push:
Ok I will think of something else and let anyone else try to solve it

I guess putting them in the upper corner wont do anything and besides usng ^ is there any other way to express it, perhaps log but I dont think it will work here

Come on guys, no one has any leads? :mii:

Well without ^ I would have also thought to put them in the corner but as you figured that’s kind of tough with just 7 moves.
Vyse gave a hint about changing perspective so maybe looking at it upside down could help.

Maybe we can try flipping the image?
Oh sorry didn’t see your message, Blackrune. Ill try something with flipped image Those holes between sticks still look suspicious tho

Vyse can you tell us if you made those gaps on purpose or not?

Oh damn, I was planning to answer to that in my last post, sorry. Those gaps were not on purpose.

:kinzo: You should do it more accurate next time!!!

Perhaps we can move it down like this an try to do something but idk :thinking:
Vyse does that count as 2 sticks moves or 0?