Music That Reminds You of 07th Expansion (FULL SERIES SPOILERS FOR UMINEKO)

We have a 07th Expansion music thread and a general music thread, so I thought we should have a thread that’s kind of for both! This thread is for when you hear a song or an album that makes you think of a 07th Expansion work. Post the song and what made it remind you of 07th Expansion, and see if anyone else agrees! As such, full series spoilers for Umineko, and if you guys like we can add full series spoilers for Higurashi as well. I’m starting with just Umineko because I only have music for that work so far.

I’ll get us started with some of my favorite examples:

Liability and Hard Feelings/Loveless by Lorde make me think of Yasu, especially the line about dancing alone with herself in Liability and faking it until she doesn’t need fantasy in Hard Feelings/Loveless.
Liability and Hard Feelings/Loveless

Mitski’s album Puberty 2 describes Yasu really well, especially the song Thursday Girl. Mitski repeating in the chorus “tell me no” over and over again reminds me of how Yasu wants to be stopped, but can’t stop herself.
Puberty 2 and Thursday Girl

And lastly, the song Brick By Boring Brick by Paramore is basically Yasu’s biography. From the lines about butterflies, building up magic because real life is tragic, and being too far for anyone to find, every single line suits Yasu incredibly well.
Brick By Boring Brick

So, yeah! Feel free to add and suggest other songs and connections you find!

1 Like

Ten Faced, especially with the Umi PV is my go to not umi but the lyrics are pretty umi song.

2 Likes

Clannad’s Phase of The moons is like Haze 2.0
La Cataline’s Chaotic also reminds me of some songs (She is a Umineko fan, btw)

Bless the creation of this thread.

Higurashi

Musunde Hiraite Rasetsu to Mukuro - Nobody seems to understand exactly what this song might be about, but the general themes and tone fit Higurashi well. Especially the group think ideology that Hinamizawa has which causes a lot of misunderstanding and suffering.

Umineko

Miss Jackson - Beato does a damn good job of being a culprit and a villain, but most fans, and Battler, love her anyway.

Dark Horse - “So you wanna play with magic? Boy, you should know what you’re falling for”

Dollhouse - A song about a dysfunctional family and disguising one’s faults behind pretty embellishments. Also, that clock ticking in the background…

Kagami - A song based in fairytale, dealing with internal struggles.

Fairytale - It’s like Alexander Rybak finished Umineko and made a BeaBato song.

Utopia - A song to describe the Golden Land, or perhaps Battler’s depiction of the family in EP 8 (which is described as being close to the Golden Land).

Cake - Perhaps Beato’s feelings towards Battler pre-EP 5. Especially fitting considering how much she seems to like food metaphors.

Haunted - Kinzo’s twisted relationship with the three generations of Beatrice, perhaps representing Sayo’s disgust for him.

My Last Breath - Makes me think of EP 8’s magic ending… Rest in peace, my most beloved witch, Beatrice.

Imaginary, Demo - The demo version specifically for the line “If you need to leave the world you live in, lay your head down and stay a while/Though you may not remember dreaming, something waits for you to breathe again”.

I Knew You Were Trouble - I apologize.

WTC in general

Jinsei Game - A description of a witch’s game from the perspective of pieces.

Rolling Girl - Having a problem, but being unable to speak up about it until it’s already become something out of control.

World’s End Dancehall - To the pieces, the fragments are all very real worlds.

Kuroi Torikago - A song about being unable to escape some sort of predetermined fate or problem.

Higanbana

Bacterial Contamination - Relates to the cycle of bullying, and expresses it in a similar dark manner as Higanbana does. The “bacterial contamination” spreads from person to person, from bully to the bullied.

Also, Imaginary, Demo might also apply to The Princess’ Lie.

I’ll probably think of more for Higurashi and Higanbana later on and update this. I kinda wore myself out with all the Umineko stuff.

By the way Flare, remove the spoilers from the main post…

Do I need to even though I put full series spoilers in the thread title?

Oh yeah sorry, didnt notice it

Add this one on here for Umineko:

Dark Paradise

This is absolutely a song that pertains to Sayo-just listen to the lyrics

2 Likes

“I cannot love, for I am… furniture~”

1 Like

I want to revive this thread because it is exactly the kind of thing I need right now. To celebrate Umineko day last month I ‘attempted’ to put together an Umineko MMV which was supposed to cover the entirety of Umineko as my personal love declaration to the story…
… too bad I’m too much of a noob when it comes to editing and because as always what I had in mind was just pure megalomanic insanity Kinzo would be proud of.

I have come to the conclusion that the best music to tell the story of Umineko (apart from Umineko’s soundtrack itself) would be songs of Queen. Because most of their songs are about love and loss and they are all haunting and powerful. That’s why I thought it would be cool to edit together a Queen medley that goes hand in hand with some of the best scenes. Here is what I had in mind:

Question Arcs

• Welcome to Rokkenjima: The beginning makes of course Bohemian Rhapsody accompanied by pictures of the tea party of episode 1. Battler awakes among his cousins, the pictures of the murders flashing up in front of his eyes as he’s questioning his sanity.
  • Entrance of the Golden Witch: “March of the Black Queen” is just the ultimate theme song for Beatrice. In all her sadistic glory and occasional goofiness!
  • Duel of Mystery and Fantasy: “Don’t stop me now” is just soooo Battler. Here he and Beatrice’s awesome truth battles, but also their better relationship in episode 3 can be alluded to.
  • The fragment of 1998: With the gloomy longing from “Who wants to live forever” Ange’s 1998 storyline slips into the story. “This world has only one sweet moment set aside for us” is just so fitting for her actually very limited interaction with her brother.
  • Beatrice’s last stand: The penultimate truth battle between Battler and Beatrice and the end of episode 4 just has to be accompanied by “The show must go on”. How Beato, at the end of all her power, still keeps up her game, desperately waiting for Battler to find the truth she wants to hear from him all the while her life slips away. The allusions to failed romance and leaving everything to a roulette of chance are so insanely fitting!

Chiru

• Arrival of the Great Detective: Nothing can beat her ‘Intellectual Rapist’ song, but I picture “Another One bites the Dust” accompanied by pictures of smug Erika reacting in glee to the murders around her to be absolutely hilarious.
  • Battler reaches the Truth: “Play the Game” is a rather silly song, but line “It is so easy, when you know the rules” just seems fitting to Battler getting the Knox decalogue explained to him and then dive back into the previous games.
  • Gamemaster Battler: “My Fairy King” is such a silly song that it fits both to scenes of the Gamemaster Battler TIP, but also to how Bernkastel and Erika corner him in episode 6.
  • The Love Trial: If only for “This is a tricky situation” as a snide comment to Kanon and Shannon pointing guns at each other. But “It’s a Hard Life” fits the mood of that weirdly awesome Love Trial absolutely perfectly. And the uplifting ending can be used for Beatrice’s return and her crashing Erika’s wedding.
  • One to Two Million Five Hundred Thousand: Of course, Lion Ushiromiya’s entire existance is “The Miracle”. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Yasu’s life is real: Only to be countered by the story Claire tells accomanied to “Life is Real”.
  • Without Love it cannot be seen: When Yasu learns her ‘magic’, but also that she has to wait for ‘a thousand years’. Of course the birth of Beatrice is “A Kind of Magic”.
  • The promise: The breaking point of her hoping for Battler to remember his promise, but also her budding relationships to George and Jessica can be projected into the awesome song “Save me”. Especially the “I’ll erase the memories” line was taken a tad literal by Shannon after all.
  • Confession of the Golden Witch: Forget all the other songs. When I have heard “Too Much Love will kill you”, it immediately made me think of Yasu and her state of utter despair. God damn it, Freddie, god damn it Brian!
  • The Witch of Resurrection: And the best for the last. For episode 8 and Ange’s final journey, it just had to be this heartbreaking song. Every single line. Everything about it makes me tear up and think of Ange. Of course it is “Teo Torriatte”!

When I cut a medley of all these songs together, it was 40 minutes long… but I’m close to despair, because I just can’t do this project myself in a way that I would be satisfied with.
But at least I can post the links and hope that you learn why I think that these songs would be so perfect to tell the story of Umineko on their own!

Wolf in Sheeps Clothing